PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Smoky AT warmth

thebellyofdeath
02-28-2008, 11:49
Looking to trek through the smokies for the first time in March. I just got my rei dividend check of $300 (Expensive gear year). I'm looking at putting this cash towards something like the Absolute Zero Suit - Men's
by Mountain Hardwear.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/lgprodimg.asp?Store=MG&item=101971&prodline=4380

What do you think?

sparky2000
02-28-2008, 11:55
What thoughts do you want? It's heavy. It's hot. Is it water proof? You may be making a record of excessive.......... Still, I'll look for it left behind at the second shelter.

pittmad
02-28-2008, 11:56
I'm not sure you need something that extreme in the smokies. I'm heading up to Fontana Dam this saturday to hike all the way through and I'm not bringing anything out of the ordinary. Just prepare for temps ranging from 10* to 60*. I'm actually bringing some grips to put on the bottom of my boots for the snow though.

applehaus
02-28-2008, 11:56
That looks nice. My dividend check was even higher since I bought that kayak. Sucks though cause that damn thing got scratches all over it the first time I took it out! I had to throw it away. Oh well, it's just money right?

pittmad
02-28-2008, 11:57
What thoughts do you want? It's heavy. It's hot. Is it water proof? You may be making a record of excessive.......... Still, I'll look for it left behind at the second shelter.

that's what i was thinking

HikerRanky
02-28-2008, 12:03
What time in March are you looking to do this? Right now on top of Mt. LeConte in GSMNP they are forecasting a high of 5 degrees, a low of minus 1 tonight and 22 inches of snow up there.... And LeConte is somewhat lower in altitude than Clingman's Dome....

If it's in late March / early April, it may be a bit of overkill....

The product looks really good, and seems to have a good amount of venting options according to the product sheet.

pittmad
02-28-2008, 12:25
here's the weather forecast for the next five days. obviously this is very very subject to change while you're up there.....
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TNZ074

Tipi Walter
02-28-2008, 12:37
Wow, Ed Viestrus comes to the Smokies!!

That expensive down suit is overkill, and unless you plan on sitting in basecamp mode for weeks at a time in sub zero temps, I would not consider such a layering system.

If you want something equally as good but less bulky, try this:

http://featheredfriends.com/garmentProductDetails.aspx?productId=18&CatId=2&ProductName=Icefall%20Parka

I've thought long and hard about winter tent comfort and basically any extra cash should be spent for a bombproof down sleeping bag. Goose down clothing is also nice, but a simple down jacket is enough. When moving you will not wear goose down under a backpack, it's just too hot.

And when in the tent you could instead have that $500 sleeping bag as your main warmth layer and mobile furnace. Don't need the down suit.

MyFeetHurt
02-28-2008, 12:41
That looks nice. My dividend check was even higher since I bought that kayak. Sucks though cause that damn thing got scratches all over it the first time I took it out! I had to throw it away. Oh well, it's just money right?

you threw away your kayak because it got scratched up??? mine looks like it's been through a war, yet it still floats just fine, and continues to give me hours of enjoyment.

as to the weather in the smokies in march, it'll be cold but not like everest or anything. we were out there a couple weeks ago and just my fleece and outer shell did the trick...

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 12:44
You aren't serious? Dude, it's the Smokies not Everest. Go to weather.com and subtract 5 degrees for every thousand feet. From what I hear though snow shoes may come in handy.

Looking to trek through the smokies for the first time in March. I just got my rei dividend check of $300 (Expensive gear year). I'm looking at putting this cash towards something like the Absolute Zero Suit - Men's
by Mountain Hardwear.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/lgprodimg.asp?Store=MG&item=101971&prodline=4380

What do you think?

clong
02-28-2008, 13:10
Sir Edmund Hillary just had a little chuckle I believe, If you bring that to the smokies, you might actually save weight because I doubt you will need a sleeping bag/any other clothing or shelter, whenever you want to stop hiking just lean against a tree and fall asleep, no setup needed, you might not even have to take your pack off, sounds pretty smart, in all seroiusness though good luck with your hike and remember the smokies can change weather rather quickly this time of year

Marta
02-28-2008, 14:11
As some other folks have said, the suit is lovely, but serious overkill for the Smokies, unless you're not planning to bring a sleeping bag.

Turd Burner
02-28-2008, 14:19
You want want to carry a spare as well in case something happens to the first one. You never can be too prepared. Better safe than sorry I always say.

thebellyofdeath
02-28-2008, 14:24
No sleeping bag! That's brillant! I could be on my way to a sub 20pd pack...

pittmad
02-28-2008, 15:19
could ticks in the shelters be an issue this time of year, or is it so cold they're going to be a non-factor?

Tipi Walter
02-28-2008, 15:53
You want want to carry a spare as well in case something happens to the first one. You never can be too prepared. Better safe than sorry I always say.

OR you could lead a large cow behind you and when the temps plummet, gut it and crawl inside. One use only and discard.

applehaus
02-28-2008, 16:34
That would be awesome. Then you'd have room for 6 bottles of Captain Morgan.