PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here not wear pants...

Foyt20
02-28-2008, 13:27
When its raining ;)? I personally dont like rain pants, so when it rains i put on my jacket and my rain cover, and let my legs get wet. Any thoughts? What Do you do?

PS: Obviosly thse who wear Ponchos may feel left out, so maybe you all can elaborate on what you do and why you do it?

MyFeetHurt
02-28-2008, 13:31
In the words of the immortal Homer Simpson... "Don't you hate pants?"

to answer your question, I wear pants. Always.

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 13:33
Depends on the outside temperature. On the AT I did not carry rain pants and did not miss them ...and we had a LOT of rain in 2003. That said, I did (and still do) carry a pair of really lightweight quick dry nylon pants and have been known to pull those on at the end of the day in the campsite.

I hike pretty much year-round in nylon shorts and in the colder months I add high gaiters, which act as a sort of lower leg pant and keep junk from getting into my shoes.

'Slogger

JAK
02-28-2008, 13:38
Depends on the wind chill factor. :D

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 13:39
I don't hike when it rains. Simple solution.
Except in '03 I guess!

swamp dawg
02-28-2008, 13:46
I carry rain pants and use them most of the time when its cool on the trail. I think it also helps a bit to keep rain out of your footwear. Rain pants also serve as townwear while you are washing you clothes.
Life is good on the trail...Swamp Dawg

wrongway_08
02-28-2008, 13:49
I always wear mine, the are comfy! Keeps all the nasty dirt off my pants when I sit also.

Maybe if it was hot out and I had flip flops on - the thought of that rain water my shoe - - - no thank you :) !

Tipi Walter
02-28-2008, 13:58
I usually wear shorts most of the time, even in winter and especially in the rain. Sometimes when I'm cold I'll wear shorts over a pair of long underwear(merino), the usual 'thruhiker look". I always carry a pair of rain pants with me, goretex models, and use them mostly in the winter for a warming basecamp layer as I don't like to get them wet. Ironic, ain't it?

When it is really windy and frigid, I'll wear the long underwear under the rainpants but usually it gets too hot for comfort and it impedes quick movement.

Other pants like nylon zip offs, military style fatigues, blue jeans, whatever--all are not needed and never taken. Now, if my legs started to look tiny and skeleton-like, I'd probably seriously consider wearing pants all the time. Nothing worse than a huge massive backpack sitting atop two spindly stick-legs.

JAK
02-28-2008, 15:06
I like brushed nylon hiking shorts over a light long skin layer. I sometimes add flannel boxer for extra warmth and hygene where it counts. I haven't found a wool pair yet, but I find I can manage to keep one pair of cotton flannels clean and dry. I can get buy without them while washing them with boiling water or drying them on my head.

mudhead
02-28-2008, 15:35

You really are naughty today.

tlbj6142
02-28-2008, 15:41
Many folks use their rain pants (and jackets) on laundry day. Though, I've seen some folks wrap their tent fly around their waste when rain pants are not in use.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 15:58
I tried to not wear pants one time but the other people on the trail looked at me funny.;) Honestly my rain pants are awesome in the cold, wet conditions that usually accompany a long hike in the Appalachians. They are just the Campmor brand with the Precip jacket for the top.

Summit
02-28-2008, 16:03
I don't hike when it rains. Simple solution.
Except in '03 I guess!Then you must not backpack at all? How can you spend any amount of time in the mountains and avoid rain. If you're on a several day hike and the rain comes and lasts for three days, do you sit in a shelter for three days? :-?

highway
02-28-2008, 16:39
Three season I NEVER wear pants, just shorts.

Blissful
02-28-2008, 16:41
I took my rain pants in the beginning and the end of the hike. Only wore them when it rained at camp. They were too hot to hike in.

RITBlake
02-28-2008, 16:47
Three season I NEVER wear pants, just shorts.

Ya I'm the same way. I find that if I wear rain parts I usually get too hot and just end up taking them off on the first big hill climb. They are great around camp, esp when it's buggy, or in case of a real real cold storm, but other then that they stay in my pack.

RadioFreq
02-28-2008, 17:20
Just a second....I'll check. :eek:

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 17:24
Just a second....I'll check. :eek:

..........takes you that long to check ??

'Slogger

Peaks
02-28-2008, 17:27
Rain pants are the only long pants that I carry in summer. It they get used depends on how cool it is, how windy it is, and how hard it is raining.

Carp
02-28-2008, 17:31
Rain or no, I've found that my happiness is inversely related to the amount of pants I am wearing.

taildragger
02-28-2008, 17:33
Rain or no, I've found that my happiness is inversely related to the amount of pants I am wearing.

I think Descartes wrote a book on that

JAK
02-28-2008, 17:57
I've been thinking about a Kilt, but when it comes right down to it I really want to wear a miniskirt, so why the heck not eh?.

Almost There
02-28-2008, 18:23
I've worn my rainpants once...and that was on a rainy day in late November with temps hovering around 40...stayed warm but I could wring out my underwear at the end of the day. I never carry rainpants from mid November thru mid March. In summer I carry zero raingear.

RadioFreq
02-28-2008, 18:27
..........takes you that long to check ??

'Slogger

I'm an engineer.....I am nothing if not methodical. :-?

Foyt20
02-28-2008, 18:58
I've worn my rainpants once...and that was on a rainy day in late November with temps hovering around 40...stayed warm but I could wring out my underwear at the end of the day. I never carry rainpants from mid November thru mid March. In summer I carry zero raingear.

That is an interesting statement at the end of your post. No jacket at all? Just hope that it dosent rain for long?

taildragger
02-28-2008, 19:56
I've been thinking about a Kilt, but when it comes right down to it I really want to wear a miniskirt, so why the heck not eh?.

You gonna get a lower back tattoo to go with it, maybe one commemorating all the wool that you wear?

gumball
02-28-2008, 21:03
I don't wear pants in the rain unless its cool-cold. I can't ever remember wearing them in hot weather.

Almost There
02-28-2008, 21:13
That is an interesting statement at the end of your post. No jacket at all? Just hope that it dosent rain for long?

I carry a Marmot DriClime Windshirt in the summer as a camp jacket.

bredler
02-28-2008, 22:52
This thread has perfect timing. I'm going to be doing 2-3 days in the shennys in two weeks, and the projected forcast is rain and cool-cold temps for at least one of the days. I'm obviously taking my precip, but does anyone wear rain pants for cold weather? If not, what do you do?

Rockhound
02-28-2008, 22:56
i dont wear pants on the summer solstice. cant wait for naked hiker day.

Bearpaw
02-28-2008, 22:59

In the southeast, the humidity is so intense that you'll sweat out any water you've drunk and still be soaked (And smelly). Better off just getting wet.

I DO have a GoLite windbreaker that helps in significant rain. And I often carry a pack cover to help protect the gear in my outer pack pockets. The pack's interior is protected with a trash compactor liner.

Tinker
02-29-2008, 01:20
In warm weather I usually just get wet all over. No rain gear. Shorts usually.

In cool weather I usually wear long uncoated nylon pants. They provide some insulation and wind resistance even when wet. They also seem to wick water to the outside of my shoes.

In cold weather (below freezing), I usually wear rain pants, full zip, with the upper part of the zipper open. They can concentrate moisture where you don't want it, causing chafing.

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 01:32
i dont wear pants on the summer solstice. cant wait for naked hiker day.

You might be confused. You're supposed to go pantless on Beltaine. And jump naked over a fire.

JAK
02-29-2008, 08:24
You gonna get a lower back tattoo to go with it, maybe one commemorating all the wool that you wear?A crocheted wool mini-skirt would be enough, don't you think?

jrwiesz
02-29-2008, 09:34

Please, elaborate!!!:D

jrwiesz
02-29-2008, 09:40
I useally don't wear pants, unless I'm wearing them.

So, I guess the answer is, sometimes. I think.:D

Doctari
02-29-2008, 11:40
No, I don't wear pants when hiking! That includes shorts!

OH! Rain pants!!

NO, I don't wear them either, at least not while hiking. My "rain pants" are actually my "town pants" for wearing while doing laundry & stuff.

BTW, in answer to your next question: Kilts rule!

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2008, 14:28
Depends on the outside temperature. On the AT I did not carry rain pants and did not miss them ...and we had a LOT of rain in 2003. That said, I did (and still do) carry a pair of really lightweight quick dry nylon pants and have been known to pull those on at the end of the day in the campsite.

I hike pretty much year-round in nylon shorts and in the colder months I add high gaiters, which act as a sort of lower leg pant and keep junk from getting into my shoes.

'Slogger

I was more impressed with the shirtless photo in Maine at the top of Katadin!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/SloggerSummita.jpg?t=1204309630

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 14:33
I was more impressed with the shirtless photo in Maine at the top of Katadin!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/SloggerSummita.jpg?t=1204309630

=====================================

Well ...that was just a last minute stunt before I climbed back down. If memory serves, it was a tad brisk that day. Some might even call it "nipply"

But I did wear a shirt while I hiked ...promise !!

'Slogger

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2008, 15:15
You know we are having a good rib tickle here, But now you have told me it was a breif moment has ruined my tough guy image of you....Hehe.

I hope you are wearing pants behind the sign!:eek:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/spong.jpg

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 15:17
I hope you are wearing pants behind the sign!:eek:

==================================

What happens on Katahdin STAYS on Katahdin. Only those who were there know for certain. That's my story and I'm stickin to it !!

'Slogger

Foyt20
02-29-2008, 15:55
You all are crazy.

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 16:09
You all are crazy.

======================

Foregone conclusion ...

They say you don't have to be crazy to hike the AT ...but from personal experience I'd say it sure helps !!

'Slogger

maxNcathy
02-29-2008, 16:10
No pants here. ..shorts, rain skirt/wrap and fleece leggings when very cold out.
I made the leggings from the long sleeves on an old fleece sweater and hold them up with safety pins.
Lighter and versatile.

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2008, 16:20
No pants here. ..shorts, rain skirt/wrap and fleece leggings when very cold out.
I made the leggings from the long sleeves on an old fleece sweater and hold them up with safety pins.
Lighter and versatile.
I Read this twice and I cannot imagine what that would lool like.... However I do have a pic of Utralight gone Wild:cool:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/hikingthong.jpg

Tinker
02-29-2008, 19:03
That is wrong on so many levels..!!!! :D

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 19:54
Yes Tinker I can't even tell you how much I agree. Warwick huh? I hate to admit it but one of my favorite shows is Ghost Hunters. I think they are based there.