PDA

View Full Version : Maps

wally
02-28-2008, 15:05
Hi
I'm currently living in the UK and am hoping to hike the trail next year but have a few issues that i wanted to ask about:

1. I'm thinking of starting from Springer in mid-February - will that be ok?

2. I have a dilemma with maps - i was thinking that rather than paying for the maps to be sent all the way across the pond, i could get them just before i start hiking - is this possible? I was also worried that doing this would mean that i couldn't plan the hike...

All replies appreciated

Hooch
02-28-2008, 15:12
1) Yes, but you need to be prepared for a lot of cold weather.

2) You may be able to arrange to purchase your maps and have them sent to either a friend in the US, or, if you make reservtions somewhere like the Hiker Hostel, to have the maps shipped to them. They may agree to hold them for you once you make your reservation with them. Drop them and e-mail and ask, it can't hurt.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 15:13
Oh, and :welcome to White Blaze!

Ender
02-28-2008, 15:19
What Hooch said. Also, you do not need the maps to plan. The data book/companion/whatever is more than enough to plan out a hike. Really, whatever plan you set out at the beginning of your hike will be out the window by the third or fourth week anyway, so don't go too crazy planning (I don't plan out anything but the first week, so I know how much food to carry).

ofthearth
02-28-2008, 15:44
What Hooch said. Also, you do not need the maps to plan. The data book/companion/whatever is more than enough to plan out a hike. Really, whatever plan you set out at the beginning of your hike will be out the window by the third or fourth week anyway, so don't go too crazy planning (I don't plan out anything but the first week, so I know how much food to carry).

And I think they are cheaper if you order them early (can someone comment on this?)

The Solemates
02-28-2008, 16:42
Starting mid-Feb, you will have many cold nights. Nights below 0. We started 1 Feb, so if you have any specific questions, we'd be glad to help. There have also been many discussions on early starting times as well. Use the "search" function and you could probably read for hours on this topic.

Blissful
02-28-2008, 16:45
And I think they are cheaper if you order them early (can someone comment on this?)

Yes, the ATC runs a deal in late fall, maybe even for the Christmas season for map bundles. Another idea is to wait until the early fall and check the sell gear thread, people sell their maps from their thru hike.

Sure, go for it in Feb. Just make sure you have cold weather gear.

Tennessee Viking
02-28-2008, 18:41
Hi
I'm currently living in the UK and am hoping to hike the trail next year but have a few issues that i wanted to ask about:

2. I have a dilemma with maps - i was thinking that rather than paying for the maps to be sent all the way across the pond, i could get them just before i start hiking - is this possible? I was also worried that doing this would mean that i couldn't plan the hike...

All replies appreciated

1. Mid Feb is around earlybird start. You will be with 1-2 people at the start then pace away from another. This is usually the best time to go if you are needing shelter/camping space, and hostels have definite vacancies. If you are used to cold weather you will have it until around Virignia and Tennessee. But the north will be nice and warm after that.

Tennessee Viking
02-28-2008, 18:47
Hi

All replies appreciated
2. PM your address to me, I can scan in and send you copies of the maps from Springer to Mt Rogers Area.

wally
02-29-2008, 03:28
many thanks 4 all the replies - great help

and thanks 4 the welcome

wally
03-01-2008, 13:29
so which maps are the best?

and is it possible to buy maps in trail towns?

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 13:31
and is it possible to buy maps in trail towns?The outfitters along the trail have maps but you can't count on them being in stock.

dessertrat
03-01-2008, 16:17
I have no idea why everyone starts so early-- I guess to make sure they make it to Katahdin by August. But I think I would rather chance a cold finish than guarantee a cold start. The fall foliage (and lack of insects) in New Hampshire and Maine in late Augsut and September, would seem to me to make an April 1 start ideal, with a six month hike planned.

I would buy the maps ahead of time and have someone mail drop them, if I were you. You can get them from ATC.