PDA

View Full Version : Trail Crew Backpack

insider2185
02-28-2008, 15:33
I recently got a job as a member of a Trail Work Crew for this backpacking camp. Our main purpose is basically to hike around fixing trail, improving campsites, and other maintenace things that may come along.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a backpack that would be able to keep up with my job description. I doubt my UL pack will be big enough to carry what I need.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tabasco
02-28-2008, 15:34
Arc Teryx Bora 95.

Cosmo
03-01-2008, 16:52
Are you out for a day at a time or do you need to carry overnight gear and food? Are you on the AT or another trail? What kind of duties are you responsible for? Clearing brush, carpentry on shelters and campsites, digging/clearing waterbars? All of the above?

Cosmo

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2008, 17:42
What Trail Crew are hooking up with? What projects will you be working on?

Usually with trail maintaining, you want to carry a light weight pack enough for food and water, first aid, and such. You will be carrying sledges, saws, cuttermatics, pulaskis, and such. Usually trail crews on the easier parts of the trail will be car camping. If there is a project that demands spending the night on trail, I would just pack the light weight pack with your gear. You do not want to be carry a full pack there and back.

I worked alongside with Konnarock crews with my club. And they just carried their food in bags or daypacks.

insider2185
03-04-2008, 16:19
Thanks guys for all of the advice. I am probably going to buy the bigger pack, just in case. Besides what if I go hiking and need a bigger pack after the summer; at least gives me a reason to get new gear.

I got a summer job at Philmont (a BSA backpacking camp in New Mexico). The reason why I picked this pack is for its recommended 60 lbs carrying capacity, which is the top range of the weight I am going to be expected to carry this summer. If I need a smaller pack then I will have my UL for that.

Once again, thanks guys.

Mr. Clean
03-05-2008, 05:39
I like my Kelty Redwing for maintenance and daytrips cause it has sleeve pockets on the sides. I can slide in a pair of loppers, a folding saw, or even a small axe. The water bottle pockets hold the tool at the bottom. Been using mine for several years.

jlb2012
03-05-2008, 10:08
mostly depends on what you will need to carry - in those situations where I had to break out the heavy iron I would use a Gregory Forester - it would carry the come-along, ropes/straps, wedges, hammer, crowbar, pruning saw, 4 L water, food, crosscut saw handles, leather gloves, hard hat, and first aid kit that I would carry up to 3 miles to the work site and handle the load relatively comfortably - the crosscut saw blade I would carry in hand.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 16:21
I love Gregory packs, and my Baltoro has never failed me, as far as weight it can carry and the amount of things I can pack. Just when I think I cant get anymore, some little gnome seems to sew on an extrea square inch of room, wonderful pack.

Ghosthiker
03-05-2008, 21:18
For what you are talking about, take a look at the Alps Denali 5500. I have one for when I go out with the scouts and need to carry extra gear and such. It's a strong pack, IMO. I know REI has it on the outlet site for $99, right now.