PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this Backpack ?

backwaterugly
02-28-2008, 16:53
When walking into towns to resupply or eat at a restaurant , What did you do with your backpack ? Did you walk around the grocery store with it on ?

Nean
02-28-2008, 16:57
When walking into towns to resupply or eat at a restaurant , What did you do with your backpack ? Did you walk around the grocery store with it on ?

Be considerate of others. Don't wear your pack inside. Use a shopping cart or set it in a place that isn't in the way.

chiefdaddy
02-28-2008, 16:58
You will know what to do with it when the time comes. Sometimes you sit it outside, sometimes you just know it's safe ect. Or You can leave it in your room at Ron Havens :D

I did have a fellow hiker watch my dog before while I shopped and once while sitting outside with the packs at the NOC I ate take out burgers and CHief sat beside me, kinda felt left out eating outside :D

Packs are more easy to leave outside than dogs forsure.

Sly
02-28-2008, 16:59

Unless I know it's safe or someone else is watching it I take it with me. You can usually throw in you shopping cart and leave it near the door in a restaurant.

wrongway_08
02-28-2008, 17:01
considering what your doing and what that pack means to your hike........keep it with you.

clodhopper
02-28-2008, 17:08
I found it worked well to politely ask the store or restaurant staff if there was a good place for me to set my backpack. They know where it won't be in the way and tended to be an ally in keeping an eye on it.

tlbj6142
02-28-2008, 17:52
Don't forget that your pack will probably smell worst than you do. Especially later in the trip. Out of site, doesn't mean out of smell. ;)

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 18:04
Be very careful with your pack in Damascus, Virginia, especially if you go to "Trail Daze" or stay at the church hostel. Don't leave it unattended. Many packs have been stolen there.