PDA

View Full Version : Segment hiking the Smokey's

SegmentHike
02-28-2008, 17:16
I plan to depart on march 3 to segment hike the Smokey's and leave the trail at Damascus, VA. Is the trail difficult to recognize and with the possibility/inevitability of snow does it get that much more difficult. I am from Florida and we do not get snow in these parts. Perhaps some AT experienced hikers can give some advice on recognizing the trail and perhaps a GPS with the trail loaded would be advisable. I am aware of the white blazes and rock piles but also know some are outside of visual range. Any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

MyFeetHurt
02-28-2008, 18:47
I don't think you'll have any problems following the trail. A GPS would certainly be overkill I think. The trail is really well marked...

have fun.

Tennessee Viking
02-28-2008, 19:08
Just need maps and trail guide to plan out your days. The Smokies will post trail junctions. The AT maintained by the Smokies Club, Carolina Club, and my group (Eastman Hiking Club) blaze pretty well without overkilling it.

There might be one last snowfall going into Spring time. But you will really have to look out for are wind gusts and heavy rains in the higher elevations. Stay clear of the balds and open areas during lightning.

Blissful
02-28-2008, 19:21
Maps are always good to have. If you are really concerned, you could also get the guidebooks as well for that area. But snow comes and goes quickly in the south. Doesn't hang around for weeks like up North. But you will likely have some here and there. The problem comes with snow blown on the trees covering the blazes.That happened to us on Roan Mtn. But we got back to the trail eventually (via a logging rd off the summit). Again, maps (and compass too) are a must.

CaseyB
02-28-2008, 20:10
:welcome To Whiteblaze. Originally from Florida? Your sentence structure & some word choices remind me of a friend from across the pond.

SegmentHike
02-28-2008, 23:07
Yes i am originally from Florida. What do you mean from across the pond? I hope the weather in Damascus is nice when i get there. Here in Florida, it is warm enough to jet ski. So i am used to beautiful weather.

Pedaling Fool
02-29-2008, 11:55
...What do you mean from across the pond?...
Across the "pond" usually refers to across the Atlantic Ocean, i.e. Europe.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-29-2008, 13:13
The AT in the Smokies is really easy to follow - especially where it's a horse trail, too. Just stay in the Appalachian Trough. That said, I love the Smokies. Have fun!

SegmentHike
02-29-2008, 15:12
I thought that is what you meant. But no i have not been across the "pond". We usually use it to refer to iraq or afghanistan in particular. thanks for all of the replies.

gungho
02-29-2008, 21:52
:welcomeThat will be a great section to hike. I will be knocking out a portion of that this year as well.

snowhoe
02-29-2008, 22:45
You will have clingsman dome all to yourself and fellow AT hikers. I dont think it is opens until like april 1st. Just be ready for the rain. Have fun. It is what you make of it.