PDA

View Full Version : Pasta Water?

Foyt20
02-28-2008, 19:21
In keeping with not attracting bears and the like, what does one do with starchy pasta water when done cooking pasta. Drink it, dump it, make tea?

:-? A conundrum none the less.

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 19:22
I drink mine. Figure I need the hydration anyway.

'Slogger

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 19:27
If its cold dump it in a naligene heater. Or drink it......Remember The hobo's mantra "I carried it I'm eatin' it

JAK
02-28-2008, 19:35
I drink mine also, usually water from oatmeal rather than pasta. The only water I don't drink from food preparation would be water from soaking and rinsing certain foods like lentils when I make soup, and certain plants I might pick like wood sorrel if I was to add alot of it. When I just eat a bit or add it as garnish its no worry. Some chemicals do need to be soaked and rinsed out, usually because they are hard on you kidneys in one way or another. I wouldn't worry about such rinsewater though. I would just dump it on some humus soil where it would do the most good.

The Weasel
02-28-2008, 19:38
Since the water is boiled, it's safe, and reduces the amount of water I have to haul for drinking and purifying.

TW

shelterbuilder
02-28-2008, 19:46
In keeping with not attracting bears and the like, what does one do with starchy pasta water when done cooking pasta. Drink it, dump it, make tea?

Don't worry about the pasta water - the bears are looking for the granola bars, gorp, and jerky!:eek::eek:

Lilred
02-28-2008, 19:55
Drain it into the water source of course...

just kidding

I never have pasta water to worry about. Don't eat Ramen, and if I did, I'd walk away from camp quite aways, and fling it in a large arc across bushes, like you're supposed to do with wash water.

Foyt20
02-28-2008, 21:54
Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone :)

weary
02-28-2008, 22:59
For elbows and similar small pasta the best solution is to cook it in just enough water to make it tender. The basic rule is two cups of water for each cup of dry pasta. Let it boil vigorously for a minute or two and then decrease the heat source as much as possible. The final minutes of cooking can be done off flame. Some use a cozy to contain the heat. I tend to set my pot on a bit of foam padding, and cover it with a jacket or something.

The same two parts water to one part dry stuff works equally well with rice, noodles, and quick cooking oatmeal.

Aside from saving carrying water, it avoids the chance of dumping out your supper trying to drain the stuff.

Weary

Panzer1
02-28-2008, 23:07
if you stop about a mile or two from camp, you can cook your pasta and pour the water on the ground there.

I've done this with tuna fish water because I don't like pouring smelly water on the ground next to where I'm going to be sleeping.

Another idea is if you have a camp fire you can pour the water into the camp fire. That will get rid of it real good.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
02-28-2008, 23:42

i just dump it a few feet from my tent

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 23:46
Pasta water is the least of your worries if you're worried about bears. Shelter areas are like AYCE buffets to them.

Is it in the scouts or the military they teach the setup of a triangle of bear-bagging, cooking, and sleeping.

Bearpaw
02-28-2008, 23:50
Is it in the scouts or the military they teach the setup of a triangle of bear-bagging, cooking, and sleeping.

I don't know the original source, but I first heard of it in Scouts, and first used it with NOLS, while in grizzly country (the Absaroka Range). With black bears, it's less of an issue.

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 23:53
=======================================

I'm not sure of the origin either ...but I heard of it for the first time when I lead a trek at Philmont in the early 90's. We did a back-country itinerary and the rangers were pretty serious about the possibilities of bear encounters ...of which we had several.

If I'm not mistaken, they euphemistically referred to it as the "BEARMUDA TRIANGLE"

'Slogger

Tabasco
02-28-2008, 23:58
if you stop about a mile or two from camp, you can cook your pasta and pour the water on the ground there.

I've done this with tuna fish water because I don't like pouring smelly water on the ground next to where I'm going to be sleeping.

Another idea is if you have a camp fire you can pour the water into the camp fire. That will get rid of it real good.

Panzer

remind me not to camp a mile or so before where YOU are camping.....or maybe I can try this method and camp a mile or so past where you are.....

sly dog
02-29-2008, 10:39
I also dump mine a few feet from Lone Wolf's tent.

Doctari
02-29-2008, 11:10
For elbows and similar small pasta the best solution is to cook it in just enough water to make it tender. The basic rule is two cups of water for each cup of dry pasta. Let it boil vigorously for a minute or two and then decrease the heat source as much as possible. The final minutes of cooking can be done off flame. Some use a cozy to contain the heat. I tend to set my pot on a bit of foam padding, and cover it with a jacket or something.

The same two parts water to one part dry stuff works equally well with rice, noodles, and quick cooking oatmeal.

Aside from saving carrying water, it avoids the chance of dumping out your supper trying to drain the stuff.

Weary

This works GREAT! It leaves the pasta just a bit too damp, which is perfect for mostining the flavoring you add.

Panzer1: Why dump out the tuna water? There are calories and flavor in that. And as mentioned above, you carried it, you should eat it! :) OR: Try the foil pouches, no excess water, & the packaging is much lighter than a can.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-29-2008, 12:19
I'd dump mine ON LW's tent :)

Seriously, though, I cook my pasta exactly like weary...learned it quick when half my macaroni ended up on the ground when I was trying to drain it.

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 12:23
Oh yeah, theres an even better solution than drinking grey water. Add it to some potato flakes. BRILLIANT!!!!

Panzer1
02-29-2008, 13:02
Panzer1: Why dump out the tuna water? There are calories and flavor in that. And as mentioned above, you carried it, you should eat it! :) OR: Try the foil pouches, no excess water, & the packaging is much lighter than a can.

Some people are "Tuna water drinkers" and some are not.

And yea, I prefer the foil packets over the cans whenever I can get them. But sometimes at small stores you can't find the packets. In that case I just buy the can. And I will remember the tip about pouring the water out by Lone Wolf's tent for next time. He probably won't mind.

Panzer

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 13:07
I just love the smell of fish oil around the campsite in the morning ....

'Slogger

gungho
02-29-2008, 17:23
I boil my water and have my noodles in a freezer bag inside a homemade cozy. I then pour the amount of water I need into the ziplock and use the rest to make coffee or let it cool and mix a drink with it.

twosticks
02-29-2008, 17:46

The primary reason I make soups instead of just pasta.

swellbill
02-29-2008, 17:57
I also dump mine a few feet from Lone Wolf's tent.

Please be careful. That's where my cat hole is.

Nean
02-29-2008, 17:58
Why drain anything? Eat it all. Drains are for buildings.

Tinker
02-29-2008, 18:05
I make pasta with less water than I use at home. If there's any left, I drink it. Why waste potable water which cost fuel dollars to heat?

Takes a little getting used to. You could also use it up by putting a little instant potato powder into it. Hot chocolate works, too. You never notice the pasta taste.

Mongbat
02-29-2008, 18:53
I like to wash my shorts in my pasta water. Then after they have dried it gives them that nice crisp fresh from the cleaners feel.

Foyt20
02-29-2008, 20:12
I like to wash my shorts in my pasta water. Then after they have dried it gives them that nice crisp fresh from the cleaners feel.

THis sounds like a spectacular idea. Just a hint of starch.