PDA

View Full Version : 35 lbs. I want less. HELP?!

sanderson
02-28-2008, 19:22
So, I am starting my hike one the fourth of March and just today pcked all my gear together. Seeing as how my goal weight was 20-25 lbs without water, I was stunned to see 35 lbs on the scale. I would love to take some things out but honestly, I don't know what I could possibly weed out. Is there anyone who could edit my list as they see fit? Here's what I have packed so far:

1 Synthetic 15+ Sleeping Bag
1 MSR Hubba Tent
1 Lite Core Sleeping Pad
1 fleece vest
1 Long Sleeve Fleece Zip-Up
2 Pair synthetic pants/long underwear
2 pair fleece pants (one to hike in, one for camp)
1 water proof rain gear set, jacket and pants
2 winter underarmour shirts
2 sports bras
1 thru-hike guide book
6.5 lbs food (first four days)
2- 32 oz. nalgene water bottles (filled)
1 waterproof pack cover
3-3.53 oz. fuel canisters
1 hat
1 fleece neck gator
1 pair gloves
1 pair synthetic capri's (for sleeping)
1 pair fleece socks (for sleeping) -I won't leave these home, I hate having
cold feet
2 pair liner socks
3 pair smartwool trekking socks
compass
flashlight
head lamp
1 first aid kit-bandaids, advil, matches, 1 small roll gauze and 1 small roll tape to secure bandaids

That's all I have and at this point I don't want to have a 35 lb pack but I don't know what I can get rid of. Help? Also, how does everyone prevent and treat blisters? Well, if there are any suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

Sarah Louise

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 19:26
Don't know the individual weight of your clothing items but the first things that you might look at are:

3 Fuel Cannisters ?? Why 3 ??

2 Nalgenes ? There are lighter alternatives

2 pair of fleece pants ? Thinking you could manage with one pair.

Fleece zip-up - There are lighter alternatives that are just as warm.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 19:32
1 Synthetic 15+ Sleeping Bag down would be lighter
1 MSR Hubba Tent
1 Lite Core Sleeping Pad
1 fleece vest get rid of, you have the zip up
2 Pair synthetic pants/long underwear get rid of one, you have rain pants
2 pair fleece pants (one to hike in, one for camp) get rid of both, you have rain paints
2 winter underarmour shirts
2 sports bras get rid of one
1 thru-hike guide book just take one section at a time
2- 32 oz. nalgene water bottles (filled) use gatorade bottles or platypus instead. You may need to be able to carry more water in certain places.
1 waterproof pack cover
3-3.53 oz. fuel canisters take one canister, or better, use alcohol and a cat stove list your kitchen equipment too, list everything
1 hat
1 fleece neck gator
1 pair gloves
1 pair synthetic capri's (for sleeping) get rid of, wear your long underwear
cold feet wool socks are lighter, more compact, warmer, you have three pair
2 pair liner socks
3 pair smartwool trekking socks
compass
flashlight you have a headlamp, you don't need this
head lamp
1 first aid kit-bandaids, advil, matches, 1 small roll gauze and 1 small roll tape to secure bandaids

list everything, with weights if possible, go to the post office during off hours if you don't have a scale.

hopefulhiker
02-28-2008, 19:35
If you have any extra money, you could save the tent for bug season and get a tarp, also if you have the money get a used down sleeping bag..

Anyway you could use a platypus or gatoraid bottles instead of the Nalgene.. Should be able to carry at least 3 liters.. we have had a drought down here..

I think you might have too many clothes.. Consider just one pair of fleece pants.. I hiked in my rain pants and long underwear..
You will be able to wash clothes about once a week or ten days..

Consider an alcohol stove. they really are the lightest way to go..

Cut pages out of your trail guide and mail drop the rest..

You might find treking poles useful.. as well as a water filter, (because of the drought)

You dont need a flashlight if you have a headlamp... I just used two of those push button lights,, but I did not do much night hiking.

Some do not use liner socks.

Also consider trail runners instead of boots.. The weight on your feet makes a big difference...

You will have plenty of chances to swap out your gear along the way.. The first being Neals Gap.... if you are going North bound,

Skidsteer
02-28-2008, 19:38
Is money an issue?

Down is lighter and warmer.

1 MSR Hubba Tent

Tarptent?

1 fleece vest

Fleece is warm, but heavy and bulky to pack.

2 Pair synthetic pants/long underwear

Try one pair on a shakedown hike.

2 pair fleece pants (one to hike in, one for camp)

Probably unneeded if you have rainpants and a baselayer.

2- 32 oz. nalgene water bottles (filled)

Try gatorade bottles.

3-3.53 oz. fuel canisters

1-2 will probably be plenty for 4-6 day resupply intervals.

flashlight
head lamp

Just take the headlamp.

quasarr
02-28-2008, 19:39
You have a ton of clothes, especially pants!

you say you have 2 fleece pants, one for hiking and one for camp. But you also have 2 long underwear, and a pair of capris for sleeping? That's 5 pairs of pants. How many times a day are you planning to change your pants? I think you should only bring 2 pairs of pants - one for sleeping, one for hiking. You're gonna get dirty, and having extra clothes to dirty up is pointless in my opinion!

Also you have lots of fleece layers. Fleece is heavy. Maybe replace your fleece vest and long-sleeve with a "poofy" coat, either down or synthetic insulation. Poofy coats are warmer and much lighter than fleece. If you get a down jacket, it will probably weigh less than your fleece vest but will be warmer than the vest and long sleeve combined.

You have 3 pairs of smartwools, plus 2 liner socks, plus 1 pair fleece socks. That's 6 pairs! I think 3 pairs is the most you need. 2 for hiking (so you can change them once in a while) and 1 for sleeping.

What is your rain gear made of? I hope it's not Gore Tex! Check out Frogg Toggs rain suits, the jacket and pants together weigh about a pound.

I don't see a pack, unless I'm reading your list carelessly and missed it. If your pack is in the 5-6 lbs range, you can easily shave pounds by switching to a 3lbs pack. When you lighten your load, you don't need such a sturdy (aka heavy) pack.

The Weasel
02-28-2008, 19:52
SUGGESTIONS IN CAPS. SORRY IF THESE ARE DUPLICATES OF ANYONE ELSE:

So, I am starting my hike one the fourth of March and just today pcked all my gear together. Seeing as how my goal weight was 20-25 lbs without water, I was stunned to see 35 lbs on the scale. I would love to take some things out but honestly, I don't know what I could possibly weed out. Is there anyone who could edit my list as they see fit? Here's what I have packed so far:

1 MSR Hubba Tent CHANGE PEGS TO ALUMINUM GUTTER NAILS
1 Lite Core Sleeping Pad
1 fleece vest
1 Long Sleeve Fleece Zip-Up REDUNDANT WITH VEST, DISCARD
2 Pair synthetic pants/long underwear ONE PAIR ONLY
2 pair fleece pants (one to hike in, one for camp) ONE PAIR ONLY
1 water proof rain gear set, jacket and pants DISCARD PANTS
2 winter underarmour shirts ONE ONLY
2 sports bras POSSIBLY ONE ONLY
1 thru-hike guide book CARRY ONLY PAGES FOR SECTIONS BEING WALKED
2- 32 oz. nalgene water bottles (filled) USE 1 LITER POP BOTTLES, TWO
1 waterproof pack cover NOT NEEDED, DISCARD
3-3.53 oz. fuel canisters ONE PER WEEK SHOULD BE ENOUGH. CONSIDER ALCOHOL
1 hat
1 fleece neck gator NOT NEEDED, USE BANDANA
1 pair gloves NOT NEEDED, USE SOCKS AS MITTENS
1 pair synthetic capri's (for sleeping) USE FLEECE PANTS INSTEAD
cold feet
2 pair liner socks
3 pair smartwool trekking socks TWO PAIR IS ADEQUATE
compass
flashlight NOT NEEDED IF CARRYING HEAD LAMP
head lamp
1 first aid kit-bandaids, advil, matches, 1 small roll gauze and 1 small roll tape to secure bandaids GAUZE ROLL NOT NEEDED, USE BANDANA. DUCT TAPE INSTEAD OF MED TAPE FOR OTHER USES AS WELL

CUT OFF ALL LABELS. HONEST.

TOOTHBRUSH (CUT HANDLE), TOOTH POWDER, TP NOT ON YOUR LIST BUT SHOULD BE.

That's all I have and at this point I don't want to have a 35 lb pack but I don't know what I can get rid of. Help? Also, how does everyone prevent and treat blisters? Well, if there are any suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

Sarah Louise

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 19:57
Maybe part of the problem is you think you will be able to stay clean and wear clean clothes.

No, you can't and won't. If it still bothers you after a couple of weeks you can quit.

The only time you will be clean is in town after showering and laundering, and you're going to have to scrub your armpits until they're almost raw to remove all the odor and rinse your socks a dozen times to get the rinse water clear. Everybody else will be just as dirty.

Think of the minimum amount of clothing you need to stay warm and have something dry to wear at night. Wicking base, insulating layer, shell.

Get rid of the extra stuff now, or you'll be mailing it home from Neel's Gap.

shelterbuilder
02-28-2008, 19:58
So, I am starting my hike one the fourth of March...how does everyone prevent and treat blisters? Well, if there are any suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

Sarah Louise

I'll defer on the equipment to everyone else, since it looks like they have all of THAT under control.

I don't have much trouble with blisters anymore - I wear polypro sock liners between my feet and my wool socks. I get "semi-hot spots" by the end of the day, but by morning, my feet are fine and ready to go. The sock liners tend to adhere to your feet and tend NOT to slip and slide around on your feet; instead, all of the blister-causing friction tends to take place between the sock liners and your socks.

Works for me!

ScottP
02-28-2008, 19:58
Ever seen a movie that includes stereotypical old British way of travelling? Where at the end of every day they set up for dinner, and pull out a tablecloth, china, silverware, and crystal? It seem to me that you're doing something along these lines--you're trying to bring everything you need to have your own little home in the woods as you hike. You could obviously, as others suggested above, refine your little home on a back kit, or you could take a different approach.

You could step out into the woods into a totally different lifestyle, where you carry most of what you need in your head and in your body, rather than on your back. You could change your expectations of a day rather than carry what is necessary to meet your current expectations. Why are you hiking?

shelterbuilder
02-28-2008, 20:13
Ever seen a movie that includes stereotypical old British way of travelling? Where at the end of every day they set up for dinner, and pull out a tablecloth, china, silverware, and crystal? It seem to me that you're doing something along these lines--you're trying to bring everything you need to have your own little home in the woods as you hike. You could obviously, as others suggested above, refine your little home on a back kit, or you could take a different approach.

You could step out into the woods into a totally different lifestyle, where you carry most of what you need in your head and in your body, rather than on your back. You could change your expectations of a day rather than carry what is necessary to meet your current expectations. Why are you hiking?

Or, to put it another way - are you camping so you can hike, or hiking so you can camp? Your pack will usually be heavier if it's the latter.

And neither way is superior to the other - it's just the difference of where your head and heart are. You make sacrifices and trade-offs either way.

Yahtzee
02-28-2008, 20:48
Start with what you got. You might be glad you did. It can still get mighty cold in Ga in March. So all those clothes might come in handy. That said, you will not need a 15 degree bag for long. And you will learn what Tater has said on your own and your clothes will be pared down. But if your wondering where the weight is coming from its the synth 15 degree bag and the clothes.

gumball
02-28-2008, 21:02
It would be very helpful if you would post the weights, if you really want to shave off pounds--take care of the ounces, they'll take care of the pounds.

A lot of lightening up your pack is a confidence issue, and--I don't know how much backpacking you've done--but you seem to want to be very prepared for anything. I agree with Tater and those who repeated him, as well as Yahtzee in that, if you start with a lighter bag and tent, it will help. How heavy is your pack itself, empty?

gum

Heater
02-28-2008, 21:08
What kind of pack do you have?

It would be helpful if you were to list the weights of each item.

bigcranky
02-28-2008, 21:09
Hi, Sarah Louise,

Let's assume that you have bought all your gear, and don't want to spend a lot of money on new, replacement gear. Like, say, a new down sleeping bag. You can save a lot of weight by dropping some of what you have now. Most of the above suggestions are spot-on; I'd like to expand on a couple.

Clothing:
Fleece pants are far too warm for hiking in. If you want to carry a pair for keeping warm in camp, that's fine -- but as others have pointed out, you may be warm enough wearing your long johns and rain pants in camp. You can also stick your legs in your bag while you eat or sit around in cold weather.

One set of long underwear is probably enough, especially if you decide to keep the fleece pants for camp. One pair of synthetic pants, too. Look at it this way -- you can hike in your hiking pants, then change into your fleece pants in camp. No need for 2 hiking pants that way. Two pairs of underwear is fine.

You can hike in one of the UA winter tops, and put on the long sleeve fleece zip tee in camp. Add the vest if you get cold in either case. If it were me, I would carry a puffy insulating top, maybe a down vest or some such.

Now your clothing list could look like this:

Wear while hiking: hiking pants, underwear, sports bra, Under Armor top.
Wear in camp: fleece pants, fleece zip-tee, fleece (or down) vest, fleece socks. Add rain shell and pants as necessary.
Wear in town while washing clothes: rain shell and pants.

I like to add a windshirt for hiking -- a Marmot DriClime jacket, or one of the 3-oz single-layer windshirts like a Patagonia Houdini or a Marmot Ion jacket. Great for hiking over a base layer in cool to cold weather.

I hate to add to your load, but in cold weather I bring two pairs of gloves -- a light pair for hiking and a heavier pair for camp. Ditto on hats.

Gear:
An 8-ounce canister is more weight-efficient than two 4-ounce canisters. The empty weights are about the same, so you end up carrying extra metal around. Be aware that the canister stove doesn't perform well in cold weather.

Nalgene bottles are heavier than necessary. A couple of 1-liter Aqua Fina bottles work just as well, and come pre-filled with free water!

Ditch the flashlight if you carry a (much more useful) headlamp. If you want a second light, carry a Photon squeeze light. Very useful on a lanyard around your neck at night (with your whistle.)

Finally, if you wanted to splurge on a major weight and space gain, you might be able to find a 15-F down sleeping bag on sale this time of year. Something like a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15, a Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super, a Marmot Helium, that sort of thing. These are sub-2 pound bags that may save a significant chunk of space and weight in your pack.

Speaking of your pack, what are you carrying all this stuff in?

Remember that you can make some changes 30 miles up the trail at Neel Gap. So you could start with what you have, and send things home if you decide you aren't using them.

Happy trails.

Heater
02-28-2008, 21:10
What kind of pack do you have?

It would be helpful if you were to list the weights of each item.

Also, by weighing each item, you may decided for yourself which ones you really could do without.

slowandlow
02-28-2008, 21:21
Like everyone else said, its all the fleece and the 15 deg synth bag. Get a down bag and ditch most of the clothing and I promise you will immediately be many pounds lighter.

Heater
02-28-2008, 21:37
Like everyone else said, its all the fleece and the 15 deg synth bag. Get a down bag and ditch most of the clothing and I promise you will immediately be many pounds lighter.

Could be the pack itself. I have a 3 lb pack and one that is over 5 lbs with roughly the same capacity.

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 21:52
When you get to Neels Gap, take everything out of your pack and put it on 3 piles:
1/ everything you used that day
2/ everything that you now (after 30 miles of hiking in the mtns) could possibly do without. and
3/ everything else that you think you really need but didn't use yet.

Send #2 and #3 home!
#1 is probably what you'll still have on your back when you make it to Maine. (presuming you're a NOBO) (2 flashlights?, good chance you will not need or use any)

T-Dubs
02-28-2008, 22:24
There are some good suggestions as to removing some pack weight, but I guess I'd need to know your planned schedule as to other recommendations. If you plan to enjoy your hike in some relative comfort, you're not doing so bad. If you plan to make Spartan-like run at the finish, cut some more of the marginal items. What's important, the journey or the destination? That should determine your load.

TWS

Ps. I'm not a thru-hiker. I don't have the mind-set any more.

Bearpaw
02-28-2008, 22:39
As others have said, lighten up on your clothing.

And accept that 35 pounds is not that bad. When I began my thru-hike 9 years ago, my pack was 57 pounds and I thought this was LIGHT after the loads I hauled in the Marine Corps.

If I started at Springer now with winter gear, I would probably have about 30 pounds for the 4 days I would take to Neel's Gap.

As the weather warms and you recognize what you need and what you don't, you'll lighten up some, only to replace it with the stuff that makes you most comfortable and happy (because you'll be in such good trail shape a few extra pounds won't phase you any more).

Programbo
02-28-2008, 23:16
I wouldn`t worry about it to much..As others mentioned you won`t need a flashlight AND a headlamp..Headlamp?....Never used a compass myself on the AT..Seems like a lot of clothing but it is still winter so that`s to be expected..I`m sure you`ll drop a LOT of weight once it warms some..So maybe just go slower at first with the extra weight and realize you`ll make better time later once you ship clothing home....DON'T ditch the clothing as of yet as some suggested..March 4th is still pretty early that high up to get caught without proper clothing and shelter....Also if it`s a high quality Synthetic bag it could very well be as light as a cheap down bag so maybe a bit more info for the next person..With just a few days to go what you have is what you have...Now get out there and be the best darn Sarah you can be!

LIhikers
02-29-2008, 00:31
Sarah Louise

You've got the problem skewed right from the beginning. You said you are willing to be at 25 pounds without water but then in your list of items that weighs 35 pounds you've included water. If the nalgene bottles are a quart each that's 4 pounds of water. Remove the 4 pounds of water and that gets you to 31 pounds of gear. I bet if you leave one pair of fleece pants and one pair of long underwear and one Underarmor shirt, one fuel canister, plus the flashlight at home you'll be darn close to your weight goal.

kappy0405
02-29-2008, 00:35
hmm.. no comment on your gear as you seem to have gotten great answers already..

but your sig is amazing... not many people know who 'atmosphere' is ;)

sanderson
02-29-2008, 15:57
I am really happy that I got so many responses. That is one of the best things about this site, everyone is so helpful and nice. I will eliminate some of my clothing and a pair of my fleece pants. And things like that. How long does one canister of fuel cost? That is the reason I was bringing three, I wasn't sure how long it would last with a jetboil. The suggestions will be really helpful and I hopw to take off at least 5-6 pounds. I think I could deal with a 25-30 pound pack. Well, thanks everyone, you're the best!

sanderson
02-29-2008, 15:58
but your sig is amazing... not many people know who 'atmosphere' is ;)[/quote]

I love atmosphere because he has so much pride in his roots and the places where he comes from. He has some really great lyrics and he's great to listen to. I went to his concert once and it was great.

bigcranky
02-29-2008, 17:13
How long a canister lasts depends on a lot of things -- how you cook, the outside temperature, how many hot meals and drinks you want, etc. One of the biggest issues is wind, which just kills the efficiency of a canister stove -- but the Jetboil is much better in this regard.

If you are cooking two hot meals and two hot drinks per day, a small canister should last 3-4 days in March. Possibly more. In warm weather, I've used a single small canister for a week for two hikers -- but we didn't need a lot of hot meals. Bring one spare, and you can resupply at Neel Gap. By that time you'll have an idea of how much fuel you are using.

Tinker
02-29-2008, 18:38
A few years ago, 35 lbs. would have been respectable. I'd recommend that you keep most of what you have, trade the Nalgene hard bottles in for Nalgene Unbottles or Platypus bottles, or Gatorade bottles, leave one pair of fleece pants at home. It's unlikely you will want to hike in them. The mountains will make you work to stay warm. The nylon pants are up to you. If you hike in rain pants you'll get plenty sweaty in uncomfortable places.
If you were starting in April, I'd have to answer differently.
DO get a down mummy bag if you can afford it. Save a couple of pounds right there.
AND - one fuel cannister at a time is enough.
If you are staying in a hostel sometime in the first week you can mail one cannister there and pick it up when you arrive.
Lots of people waste fuel by NOT cooking over wood fires started by groups of hikers to keep warm. Don't waste the opportunity to cook over wood.

Doctari
02-29-2008, 21:59
My 1L nalgene bottle weighs 7.5 Oz Empty, My 1L gatorade bottle weighs 2.25 Oz, With small carabiner attached with some cord. So if you are carrying 2, thats a weight savings of 10.5 OZ. My 2L platypus bladder, with hose AND a (Heavy) neoprene cover only weighs 7.5 OZ. Hmmm, OK, Now I'm ditching the cover. See how easy that was.

With a jetboil, 3 canisters seems excessive to me. I don't have one, but after seeing one in use several times, yea, I think you may be carrying a bit much.

Yep, the clothing list seems a bit large (Heavy).

Don't just take our word for this: get a scale, one that does at least 1/4 oz increments, & weigh EVERYTHING! Be critical. Do you really need that, or are you just carrying it "because". It's amazing how fast those Ounces add up. It only takes 16 to make a pound. :D

futureatwalker
03-01-2008, 03:37
I think you've done really well! You're 35 lbs includes 10 lbs of food and water. You might have one or two extra things, but I'm sure everyone does when they start, and I'm not sure that's even such a bad thing when you're hiking in possible winter conditions. Want to feel better? My pack alone weighs almost 6lbs (I'm too cheap to replace it, and I'm only doing a section hike this year).

A quick question from your list - do people usually bring rope for hanging their food?

shelterbuilder
03-01-2008, 08:40
...A quick question from your list - do people usually bring rope for hanging their food?

In places where bears are active, the answer is yes.

Rain Man
03-01-2008, 13:48
Are you drinking untreated/unfiltered water?

You don't have a stove?

Rain:sunMan

Mongbat
03-02-2008, 12:08
Not sure why people bring compasses on well marked windy trails. If the compass reads Southwest you could still be heading northbound. What's the point?

Strategic
03-02-2008, 12:31
Not sure why people bring compasses on well marked windy trails. If the compass reads Southwest you could still be heading northbound. What's the point?

Well, because you might not always be on that trail and if you want to use a map properly it's a good idea to know which way to orient it (to begin with.)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2008, 12:36
Personally, I'd
Switch to an alcohol stove - a move that will likely save you almost a couple of pounds
I'd trade the synthetic sleeping bag for down - another likely pound gone
Fleece is heavy for the warmth it provides - synthetic or down vests, sweaters, pants are lighter choices
I'd lose one of the sports bras - rinse out as soon as you get to camp and go braless in camp or just wear it between town stops and wash)

Strategic
03-02-2008, 12:39
You've gotten a lot of good advice already on this thread, mostly things I'd have written if I'd gotten here sooner. :D

There is one very nice tool for this that I haven't seen mentioned yet; Chris Ibbeson's Backpacking Gear Weight Calculator (http://www.chrisibbeson.com/pages/GearWeightCalculator.html) that let's you work through different gear configurations and figure out from individual weights what you'll have when you pack up a particular set of gear. It's one of the best things I've ever seen for helping pare down packweight.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your hike to the Big K.

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:01
I trimmed it down to just the clothing:

In this first list I am listing everything I think you could wear all at once for the most extreme conditions. If it doesn't all fit well together when trudging slowly in rain or snow then I suggest you consider some changes.

Top:
1 winter underarmour shirts
1 sports bras
Bottoms:
1 pair synthetic pants/long underwear
1 pair fleece pants
Miscellaneous:
1 hat
1 fleece neck gator
1 pair gloves
1 pair synthetic capri's (for sleeping)
cold feet
1 pair liner socks
1 pair smartwool trekking socks

This is the spares from your list I suggest you keep:

This is the stuff from yoiu list I suggest you leave home as spares:
1 fleece vest
1 pair synthetic pants/long underwear
1 pair fleece pants
1 winter underarmour shirts
1 sports bras
1 pair liner socks

I think if you rinse and dry as you hike you can get by eaiser on what you have and will be carrying alot less wet and stinky stuff. I would also suggest you try out a cheap merino wool sweater, then maybe a medium wool sweater. If you can wear a medium or heavy wool sweater all the time as I do you may find your other layers can be alot more packable. Also, consider just super cheap and light breathable nylon wind jacket and pants, like 5oz each if you can find them that light, and then a rain poncho or jacket for the serious cold rain. With the right mix of wool and synthetic layers that are easy to care for the rain layers don't have to be so bulletproof and you will find a lot more room in your pack, making everything alot easier and not just lighter. I don't really notice the weight of my main sweater as long as keep it on all the time, and it never gets too cold and wet if I manage to do so.

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 15:38
I didn't notice on your list-- what are you cooking in? I don't see any utensils or cookset? Also, how heavy are your "big four"? Have you weighed them? What sort of stove are you using? I see canisters listed, but. . . ?

Do you have a complete gear list? 35 lbs with both food and water is not too bad, unless you are shopping for ultralite gear from scratch, which gets expensive.

How much do you weigh, by the way? Sorry to be indelicate, but the heavier the person, the heavier the pack that person can usually tolerate.

Also, what sort of pack do you have, and how much does the pack itself weigh? I am thinking the primary "suspects" here are the pack, sleeping bag, and all that fleece. If you can get under 30 pounds with five days food and water, and the Hubba tent, you're doing better than many, but not as well as some.

Mongbat
03-03-2008, 22:33
Well, because you might not always be on that trail and if you want to use a map properly it's a good idea to know which way to orient it (to begin with.)

I understand what compasses are for and how to use them with a map, but I would like to point out that maps are not on her packing list so why bring the compass? If maps were on the list, I would recommend against bringing them on a hike of the AT as they are almost completly useless unless you can't take a poop in the woods without getting lost.

I'm sorry for sounding antagonistic, but people are always trying to find out ways to lighten their loads then pack things like maps and compasses on hikes where they are not needed. Maps and compasses are great on certain hikes (the Sahara for example) but the AT has 83,000 blazes (that's one every 138 feet). If you get lost on this trail, you've got bigger problems then the weight of your pack.

take-a-knee
03-03-2008, 22:47
I understand what compasses are for and how to use them with a map, but I would like to point out that maps are not on her packing list so why bring the compass? If maps were on the list, I would recommend against bringing them on a hike of the AT as they are almost completly useless unless you can't take a poop in the woods without getting lost.

I'm sorry for sounding antagonistic, but people are always trying to find out ways to lighten their loads then pack things like maps and compasses on hikes where they are not needed. Maps and compasses are great on certain hikes (the Sahara for example) but the AT has 83,000 blazes (that's one every 138 feet). If you get lost on this trail, you've got bigger problems then the weight of your pack.

Hey Moonbat, you're a frickin' MORON, along with anyone who takes your advice. Go hike in the Sahara and quit posting stupid s**t! Be sure to take a map and compass, we couldn't make it around here without your sage advice.

Blissful
03-03-2008, 22:58
To lighten a load by dispensing with life-saving measures such as maps is utterly foolish.

Mongbat
03-05-2008, 13:03
Hey Moonbat, you're a frickin' MORON, along with anyone who takes your advice. Go hike in the Sahara and quit posting stupid s**t! Be sure to take a map and compass, we couldn't make it around here without your sage advice.

Hey, thanks buddy. So, anybody who takes my advice is a MORON? I actually agree with you on that one. Might be the smartest thing you've ever said. Well, I gotta go pack my ipod and blackberry now, it's time to head to the trail. Oh crap, I almost forgot to pack my GPS. Wouldn't want to feel like i was attempting to accomplish something on my own now would I?

By the way, this is a private forum for 2008 thru-hikers only. Not hikers who might be hiking in 2008 but probably won't because they are terrified of getting in a bind a few miles from civilization.

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 13:14
Hey, thanks buddy. So, anybody who takes my advice is a MORON? I actually agree with you on that one. Might be the smartest thing you've ever said. Well, I gotta go pack my ipod and blackberry now, it's time to head to the trail. Oh crap, I almost forgot to pack my GPS. Wouldn't want to feel like i was attempting to accomplish something on my own now would I?

By the way, this is a private forum for 2008 thru-hikers only. Not hikers who might be hiking in 2008 but probably won't because they are terrified of getting in a bind a few miles from civilization.

I don't give advice on computers because I don't know anything about them so my advice would be worthless. You obviously don't know anything about land navigation, you would need a map on a hike in the Sahara you said. You'd need more than a map in featureless terrain. Precise navigation there would be impossible with a GPS or at least a sextant and an ephmeris to determine latitude. Get up to speed before you offer potentially dangerous advice and you won't get flamed.

Mongbat
03-06-2008, 00:02
My advise is to hike the trail without maps. My question is, how many people have died because they didn't have maps on the AT? Answer: 0. Therefore it's a bit of a stretch to call maps lifesaving measures. On the other hand, several people have died due to snake bites, yet almost everyone agrees that snakebite kits are not practical. Also, two people have dropped dead from heart attacks, should we all carry portable defibralators?

I agree that maps are fun to look at and make hiking the trail more enjoyable. I like to use them to look back at the day's hike and say, "hey, remember that hill, it really sucked." It's also nice to spend the evening in camp looking at the next day's terrain. But it is not necessary to carry maps to safely and successfully complete a thru hike of the AT. There are threads on this site that address this subject. This is not one of them. The original thread was about reducing someones pack weight. The thread originator's pack list included a compass, but no maps. If you don't have maps, I feel that a compass is a complete waist of space. You may want one simply because you enjoy using it, but if your goal is to reduce your pack weight by elliminating equipment you don't need, lose the compass. By the way, in the threads that do address the maps and compass issue, I am not alone. In fact, close to a third of responders say they don't use maps. Yet, still no deaths due to lack of maps. The death toll due to snakebites will continue to rise, yet still no snakebite kits on the pack lists.

One thing I haven't heard from take-a-knee is an effective arguement with examples of why maps are so important for a successful thru-hike. If the arguement is that in the event of an emergency, you will need to know the fastest way off the trail, then fine, take your maps and have your false sense of security. The fact of the matter is, leaving the trail is much riskier than staying put and waiting for help. Rarely will you wait for more than half a day before another hiker comes by. Leaving the trail in an emergency guarantees that if your condition worsens, you will not be found in time.

If there are other essential reasons to carry maps and a compass, please let me know. Maybe I will add them to my pack.

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 00:05
If there is a forest fire, you may have no choice but to leave the trail quickly. Throw down your pack and run downhill if possible.

Mr. Parkay
03-06-2008, 00:16
One very minor point: It would probably be better to bring a Lighter rather than Matches... lighters are much more practical on the trail.... It's pretty rare to see a thru-hiker with actual matches. Although, I suppose this point is irrelevant since the hiker in question is already on the trail!

kappy0405
03-06-2008, 13:40
If there are other essential reasons to carry maps and a compass, please let me know. Maybe I will add them to my pack.

it might not just be that someone NEEDS to leave the trail.. But what if someone just WANTs to.

I mean, I'm just doing the AT to get away from everything... If I see a nice lake some distance away, I'm probably gonna wander off and try to find it, and camp out there for a few nights. In that case, a compass would absolutely be neccessary to get back on the trail.

but i guess if your just planning on walking the trail, and nothing else, they wouldnt be neccessary. But for the small amount of space they take up, I dont see enough reason not to take them along either.

Mongbat
03-06-2008, 18:42
it might not just be that someone NEEDS to leave the trail.. But what if someone just WANTs to.

I mean, I'm just doing the AT to get away from everything... If I see a nice lake some distance away, I'm probably gonna wander off and try to find it, and camp out there for a few nights. In that case, a compass would absolutely be neccessary to get back on the trail.

but i guess if your just planning on walking the trail, and nothing else, they wouldnt be neccessary. But for the small amount of space they take up, I dont see enough reason not to take them along either.

Finally, someone with a legitimate reason for carrying maps. I couldn't agree more with you kappy, if you are going to go off trail then maps and a compass are essential.

Once again, I would just like to point out that the thread was started by someone asking for advice on lightening her pack. She was bringing a compass but no maps. I suggested that the compass wasn't essential. Some people became violently ill at this suggestion. To those I say get a clue. Not everyone hikes for the same reason. I hike partly because it is more dangerous than staying in bed. For me, maps and a compass reduce the risks off backpacking so much that it loses some of its excitement. For others it may enhance the experience. Why does anyone care what I think? Hike your own hike.