PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Osprey Atmos 50

tucker0104
02-28-2008, 23:05
Does anyone have any experience with the Osprey Atmos 50? If so, please let me know what you think of it.

stranger
02-29-2008, 01:35
I haven't carried it long distances but I would strongly recommend opting for a Aether instead if you are carrying more than 20lbs all up. I find the Atmos flimsy and wasn't very impressed by it, so I prefer the Aether. My pack loads are generally around 25lbs all up including everything.

g8trh8tr
02-29-2008, 10:07
I like the Atmos 50. I only wish it had more padding on the shoulder straps but that is easily remedied with home made padding.

Critterman
02-29-2008, 10:16
I like the Atmos 50. I only wish it had more padding on the shoulder straps but that is easily remedied with home made padding.

I agree with both statements. It is just big enough to hold all my gear which makes me think carefully about what I am taking.

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 10:17
I too like the Aether. I have the 70.

bulldog49
02-29-2008, 10:42
I agree with both statements. It is just big enough to hold all my gear which makes me think carefully about what I am taking.

I disagree with both statements. And unlike the others responding so far, I've actually used it on long hikes.

I've used it frequently on week long winter hikes on the AT with loads up to 30 lbs. I've made the same type trips using a GG Vapor Trail and find the Atmos to be more comfortable. I've also used Gregory and and Dana packs in the past and the Atmos, for me, has been the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

Pack comfort, like shoe comfort, will vary from indvidual to individual. Only way to decide for sure is load one up with your gear and walk around the store for 15 or 20 minutes and see how it feels. But it is a pack that can be used for a through hike.

Critterman
02-29-2008, 10:48
I disagree with both statements. And unlike the others responding so far, I've actually used it on long hikes.

I've used it frequently on week long winter hikes on the AT with loads up to 30 lbs. I've made the same type trips using a GG Vapor Trail and find the Atmos to be more comfortable. I've also used Gregory and and Dana packs in the past and the Atmos, for me, has been the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

Pack comfort, like shoe comfort, will vary from indvidual to individual. Only way to decide for sure is load one up with your gear and walk around the store for 15 or 20 minutes and see how it feels. But it is a pack that can be used for a through hike.

You disagree but like it ? We both said we like the pack.

bulldog49
02-29-2008, 10:52
You disagree but like it ? We both said we like the pack.

Then why recommend he get an Aether? :confused:

Critterman
02-29-2008, 10:53
Then why recommend he get an Aether? :confused:

I didn't. Try reading the posts. He said he liked it but the straps needed padding.

bulldog49
02-29-2008, 11:00
I didn't. Try reading the posts. :)

OOPS! I did misread. I thought you meant you were agreeing with the two posts above yours, meaning strangers post, instead of the two comments made by g8.

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 11:17
I have the 50 AND the 65. I liked the 50 so much I got the larger one for winter trips.

As stated above, what works for some may not work for others. I have had up to 32# in the 50 and it carried it quite well for over 140 miles.

Ive used other packs (Gregory Shasta, GoLite Galaxy) and found that they are not quite what works for me.

I like the pockets on the hip belt for daily incidentals (Carmex, snacks, note paper/pen, TP)

I will also say that even though I had a slight manufacturer problem with my original 50, Osprey took care of it immediately, and were very courteous about the whole thing.

YeOldeBackpacker
02-29-2008, 11:20
I have an Atmos 50, which I use for weekend trips, I personally like it a lot, but I'm carrying no more than 23 to 27 lbs. depends on who I hiking with as far as my total weight.
I also have a Atmos 65, which I have used for quite a few weeklong trips etc... I have had over 35 lbs in it, I like it, but I do agree its a personal fit thing, go to an outfitter and load up all your gear, see how they feel, thats a start anyway, if its not comfortable while your in the store its not going to get any better 10 miles down the trail.

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 11:24
That is the downfall with the Aether is that there are no pocket on the hip belt. It makes the pants a bit crowded at times. It took me a while to find the adjustment that was right for me too. I think that everyone is different and one pack won't work for everyone. Try them one and the one that feels the best- buy it. Nothing is going to be perfect.

naturejunkie
02-29-2008, 11:35
I have an Osprey Aether 70 and absolutely love it. It hangs on like a baby gorilla and the weight all lands on the hips. True, the lack of hipbelt pockets is annoying, but I think they corrected that in their 2008 packs, including the Atmos 50, although I am not certain. All around, Osprey makes very good packs, but one should try many different brands to see what feels best on your back. Good luck!

g8trh8tr
02-29-2008, 12:49
As noted by several folks it is ultimately an individual preference regarding fit and comfort of the pack. Like I stated earlier I like my Atmos 50 overall but if I am out for longer than a weekend I always take my GG Vapor Trail because I like the padding and the way the pack handles the weight distribution. Both packs are backed by great manufacturer support.

Ender
02-29-2008, 13:48
I'm a big fan of my Atmos 50. It's comfortable, and great for hot weather.

Red Hat
02-29-2008, 14:58
I love my Osprey Atmos 50. I got it in Johnson City after a problem with my Golite... Anyway, after I got back on (when my husband was sick) it went all the way from the Tye River to Harpers Ferry in 05. Great pack and I'll be using it SOBO this year.

tucker0104
02-29-2008, 16:58
Thanks for the experienced advice. Is it big enough to do week long hiking with or should I go with bigger?

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 17:54
I did 10 full days, food included with it...

MattMan
02-29-2008, 18:18
I didn't use it, but I ordered one, was a little small for my liking went with the osprey 65, fits everything perfectly

slow
03-01-2008, 02:08

Can i ask what dana pack it was?I have a bunch of them.

I have the osprey 50 and just dont fit like a dana does.I only carry 12 lb total in fl ,but it's like it lack's padding?

Symbol
03-04-2008, 14:29
I have the Atmos 50 and love it. It is comfortable to my build.

You can go out for a week with it easily. I guess it all depends on your grear and how you pack.

I strap my rolled up thermarest on the outside. (yes, I carry a thermarest but I willingly take the hit on weight to sleep better)

bulldog49
03-04-2008, 15:02
Thanks for the experienced advice. Is it big enough to do week long hiking with or should I go with bigger?

Depends on the gear you are carrying, but as I said in my post above, I've comfortably used it on a week-long winter hike.

Red Hat
03-05-2008, 17:33
I'm planning on using mine for six months or so! Pack light, resupply often, and hike on!

derek
03-05-2008, 18:12
love it. as long as it fits you correctly it is one of the most comfortable packs you can get.

bulldog49
03-05-2008, 23:49
Can i ask what dana pack it was?I have a bunch of them.

I have the osprey 50 and just dont fit like a dana does.I only carry 12 lb total in fl ,but it's like it lack's padding?

I had a Terraplane, weighs 6 lbs empty.

Mr. Parkay
03-05-2008, 23:58
I've carried the Atmos 50 for over 1000 miles and I think it's a pretty good pack. I even overloaded it with 50+ pounds at times and it still held up well. One problem is that it would sometimes chafe my back... causing annoying sores, although I don't know if others have this problem. Anyhow, I use a ULA pack now, which I prefer over osprey.

slow
03-06-2008, 01:59
I had a Terraplane, weighs 6 lbs empty.

I have that one and love the way it feels loaded.Just wish the 50 felt so good because i do like it.
Thanks.

Evil Eye
03-10-2008, 15:02
Used the Atmos 50 all the way on my '07 Thru.

Only problem was the hip belt started slipping - since they are sewn as part of the pack -no way to replace the belt alone. I received GREAT customer service at EMS in Manchester Center who replaced the pack.
Other than the belt - the original was showing very little wear and I am confident it would have made it all the way.

50 was big enough -but not too big - if I'd used a 65 I'd have filled it too.
I did attach my tent to the outside at the bottom.
Waist pockets were great for snacks, flashlight, knife, etc.
Best feature, in my opinion, was that I could hang my water bladder in the airspace between the webbing and the pack.

jhick
03-10-2008, 15:28
Great pack.... I have the 65. They are great year round, but especially in hot weather. I've hiked for hours and hours shirtless and still found it comfy. The bladder space is good for clothes in cooler temps too. If I had one complaint it would be that the strap padding is a little light as you approach 40lbs.