PDA

View Full Version : OK, gear lists seem all the rage...

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 01:14
So here's mine.

Notice, no cel phone, no GPS, no pocketmail. They're fun, but not for the real thing. Zelph and Skids, I hang my head in shame at carrying a cannister stove, but if I get to Damascus and need to shed a pound I can make one out of LW's empties. :D
TP and a cat spade are missing, I know. I have them

Big Three Plus
REI UL45 Pack 37.7
Pack Liner (contractor bag) 5.4
Tarptent (still in production, so this is an estimate) 24.0
Generic 20F Synthetic Mummy Bag in stuff sack 37.5
REI Lite-Core short 18.8
Generic Blue pad 5.4
Big Three Total: 128.8 ounces

Health and Hygiene
Toothbrush (handle cut to 2” in Coughlan’s cover)
Toothpowder
1 oz bottle Purell
MSR pack towel
4 oz. bottle Dr Bronner’s Peppermint
First Aid Kit(in a Trek I zipper pouch)
3 strips Mole foam
2 3x3 gauze pads
3 individual use packets Neosporin
6 doses Imodium
30 200mg Ibuprofen
1 small roll Tums EX
3 safety pins (different sizes)
1 large sewing needle
1 tin dental floss
1 Winchester Multitool (like Micra, but smaller)
REI 4.5 x 8 tuff stuffsack
Health and Hygiene Total: 15.35

Kitchen:
Kmart grease pot and lid 3.6
Coleman F1 stove 2.9
Small lockblade knife (2” blade) 0.7
Plastic cutting board (Home made, fits inside pot lid) 0.6
Lexan Spoon 0.4
Plastic messkit cup 0.6
Melitta #2 1 cup drip coffeemaker 1.5
Mini Bic lighter 0.4
Matches in waterproof case (backup fire) 0.8
Bandanna 1.0
2 Trioxane bricks (backup fuel) 2.3
Silnylon Stuffsack 0.7
1L Aquafina Bottles (2) 3.8
Katadyn Hiker Pro (still undecided about this) 15.5
Total Kitchen: 33.8 ounces

Clothing Carried
Hind nylon running shorts 2.8
Wilson Ultra-Tec T-shirt 5.6
Polypro sock liners (2 pair) 2.4
Thorlo Hiking Socks 6.4
Total Clothing Carried: 17.2

Misc.
Coby AM/FM/WX radio w/batteries in padded case 7.0
Mora Frost boater’s knife 3.4
Nine LED flashlight w/batteries 3.1
Coleman 2 LED Lantern w/batteries 6.3
All weather notebook w/hideaway space pen 3.4
Pocket compass 0.8
8x20 Monocular 2.6
Reading glasses and case 1.2
Carmex 0.4
Total Misc.: 49.0

Total Pack Weight (minus food, fuel and water): 15.25 Lbs

Clothing Worn
Base Layer
Polypro bottoms (Wally World) 6.7
Polypro top 6.7
Mid Layer
Fleece Pants (generic) 16.4
Fleece Top 17.7
Shell Layer
Marmot Precip Pants 10.2
Marmot Precip Jacket 12.2
Fleece Gloves 1.8
Silnylon Mittens 0.5
Polypro liner socks 1.2
Thorlo Hiker socks 3.2
Fleece balaclava/hat 3.8
Merrel Moab Ventilators 30.5
Hiking Poles 20.8
Total Clothing Worn 131.7 ounces

Please do your best to do your worst.

take-a-knee
02-29-2008, 01:26
You might consider replacing those fleece pants with SGT Rock's idea of army field pant liners (8oz), I guarantee they are warmer at half the weight.

Also a montbell synthetic parka (w/hood) will be twice as warm as the fleece jacket. Or consider a Patagonia Puffball vest and R1 Hoody.

Allen66
02-29-2008, 01:33
Small lockblade knife (2” blade) 0.7
Mora Frost boater’s knife 3.4
1 Winchester Multitool (like Micra, but smaller

3 BLADES, UNLESS THE MULTI DOESN'T HAVE ONE

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 01:39
OK, also be awarethat I'm on a budget. The only items on that list that I paid more than $20 for was the Marmot precips and the Merrel Moabs. The Cre lite and Katadyn were Xmas/birthday gifts. Most everything else was $1 here, $2 there, thrift shop finds, and I built my own tarptent with Wally World fabrics for $36 and change.

bredler
02-29-2008, 04:40
I would at least experiment some with the alcohol stoves. I originally saw them and thought, no way, these are stupid. Then built 3 or 4...thousand (seriously, you just can't stop trying to improve them once you start!) and was sold on the idea. Easy to make, easy to use, and as long as you don't want to simmer it's awesome. My whole setup of cookware (stove, pot, pot stand, lighter, bandana, fuel bottle, lexan spoon) weighs in at just about 8oz.

Heater
02-29-2008, 04:43
OK, also be awarethat I'm on a budget. The only items on that list that I paid more than $20 for was the Marmot precips and the Merrel Moabs. The Cre lite and Katadyn were Xmas/birthday gifts. Most everything else was $1 here, $2 there, thrift shop finds, and I built my own tarptent with Wally World fabrics for $36 and change.

You are 45, right? Am I missing something or are you leaving something out?

:confused:

fehchet
02-29-2008, 05:57
LW drinks out of glass bottles. Hard to make a stove out of ..........

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 07:43

What does age have to do with it :confused:

hopefulhiker
02-29-2008, 08:11
I think it is an impressive gear list, one of the best I have seen..
but I would carry an extra water bottle and I would start out with the filter because ov the drought.. I have heard stories of people having to pump out of little puddles. Also I am surprised that you are not carrying an alchy stove....

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 08:39

Yes, I am 45. What's your point? Please explain.

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 08:41
I have a lot of experience building alky stoves, even bought one from Zelph. As I said, if I decide to gothat way I can build it on the trail.

Seeker
02-29-2008, 08:44
What does age have to do with it :confused:

maybe someone's under the mistaken impression that life is all forward progress, financially, and that things like illness, divorce, and business failure only happen to other people...

Seeker
02-29-2008, 09:15
aaron,

-3 knives? your call.
-lighter AND matches? take a second lighter lighter (get it? :D) instead of the heavier matches.
-i have field pants liners. they look kinda goofy alone, vs fleece, but they're a lot lighter. (i have them, but don't always use them.)
-looks like you have two sleeping pads. but from the weight of the second one, what you call 'generic blue pad', maybe it's a sit pad? first pad is a little heavy. maybe switch when you can. or maybe you've got a back issue (the quantity of ibuprofin carried sorta gives it away :D) that only that particular pad resolves (oh to be 18 again!)
-filter vs AquaMira drops has been discussed to death here. given the drought, were i hiking, i'd be thinking about the filter (and i prefer AM, generally). maybe switch when you can.
stove-as discussed, go with what you have, can switch to alcohol later if you want to. if you've already messed with the alkie stoves, you know what you're getting into.

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 09:17
maybe someone's under the mistaken impression that life is all forward progress, financially, and that things like illness, divorce, and business failure only happen to other people...

Lets try to keep on the subject instead of going off on tangents.:)

aaroniguana, I like your breakdown here. I checked out the ALcy stoves as well and like you, am currently doing the cannister avenue. I like the ALC stoves in that they are more efficient burning under the freeze temp than the cannisters. I would go with the filter here also instead of deal with the auqamira

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 19:11
Thanks all! Great feedback.

I only have two knives, the multitool has scissors, bottle and can opener, nail clipper, file, tweezers, etc but no blade. The 2" blade is for food use only, so that there is no cross-contamination, the Mora is hefty enough for working, can cut up to 1" firewood and for defense when I run into that big, obese bear. No really, I've carried a Mora or something close to it for years.

I always carry Coleman's "waterproof" (yeah right) matches. the matches and case weigh so little it's no big deal to me. I'm surprised no one dinged me for carrying trioxane...

I'll stick with the filter and carry some MP1 tabs. They weigh almost nothing.

The second sleep pad was based on a recent recommendation (can't remember who) to give me a light extra padding and protect my Core-Lite but given the choice and my back, I'd dump the blue pad first.

I have a pair of field liners, will give them a shot. And I think I have an old down vest someplace, it weighs half what the fleece top does and it guaranteede to be warmer.

Just an update, I am totally off pain meds and crutches and have started walking with a cane, though it's deliciously agonizing. Also have to cut my Physical Therapy to two visits a week. Going back to work Monday. At this rate I'll see some of you when I section this summer! Thanks again!

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 20:35
I carry my Ipod and cell phone with pride. Besides I have a five year old daughter who expects to talk to her Daddy every day.

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 20:39
Maybe he isn't that experienced with backpacking or isn't that experienced with money. I think that's what you mean.?

aaroniguana
02-29-2008, 23:08
Maybe he isn't that experienced with backpacking or isn't that experienced with money. I think that's what you mean.?

Do you mean Austexs or me?

Heater
03-01-2008, 02:16

Not sure. I either misread something or got my posts crossed or I am F*O*S.

Probably the first. My bad. :(