PDA

View Full Version : AT Sleeping Bag

naturejunkie
02-29-2008, 10:13
I'm shopping around for a new sleeping bag for my SOBO trek this year and am looking to replace my old Northface Orion Synthetic Mummy, which is just too constricting for me.

Can anyone recommend a good bag for people, like me, who roll around in their sleep like an alligator in a death roll? I looked at the Big Agnes bags, but the seem awfully bulky and heavy. I still want to stay as light and compact as possible. Thanks!

rafe
02-29-2008, 10:16
Get the best down bag you can afford. Properly cared for, it will last a lifetime.

Mr. Parkay
02-29-2008, 10:19
Hello,

You could try a "rectangle" shaped bag, instead of the usual "mummy" shape. This way your feet would be less constricted and you could roll around easier. Here's a link to Western Mountaineering bag with a "semi-rectangular" shape, although I'm sure there's companies with cheaper versions:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=21
--Parkay

Alligator
02-29-2008, 10:52
I'm shopping around for a new sleeping bag for my SOBO trek this year and am looking to replace my old Northface Orion Synthetic Mummy, which is just too constricting for me.

Can anyone recommend a good bag for people, like me, who roll around in their sleep like an alligator in a death roll? I looked at the Big Agnes bags, but the seem awfully bulky and heavy. I still want to stay as light and compact as possible. Thanks!Funny you should say that:D. (That's were my trail name comes from:clap) I've not tried the looser bag route, but I find that sleeping pad locks work well. I have two bags that have them, a Sierra Designs and a Kelty. I don't think my winter bag has them I should check. Even if your bag does not though you could add them yourself.

This is a picture of the older style (http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/25044?src=froogle) that I have. There are new ones (http://gearx.com/sierra-designs-pad-lock-kit-for-sleeping-pad.html), but I don't know what they look like exactly.

Oh and you might try a quilt too. I have yet to do that though with backpacking one, but it works with a semi-open bag.

Wonder
02-29-2008, 11:09
I actually put a couple little strips of velcro on my bag and pad......worked great! I sleep like a snake....cold and wiggley.
I have an EMS mountain Light zero that worked great for me.
There are some mummy bags out right now that are actually stretchy! You can move around all you want! I think that MSR puts them out, but I'm not sure. I know thta Steve at SUndog outtfitters is well versed in them....maybe hit him up!

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 12:21
Western Montaineering. They are a little pricey but I've fallen for mine.;)

big_muddy
02-29-2008, 12:38
Montbell, their bags have a nice stretch feature that allows you to toss and turn. Also, you'll be so tired each night you might not roll as much as you think.

kdholmwood
02-29-2008, 12:40
I use a Mont Bell Super Stretch Down Hugger. They make a range of fillings and weights, according to the temperature ratings people need. They're elasticated, which means they conform to your body however much you move around. You can even sit up cross legged in one. Not cheap, but very light and well made.
Keith

LIhikers
02-29-2008, 14:07
I'll also recommend the Montbell super strech bags. I have the superstrech, ultralight, down hugger, #2 and love it. It's light weight, compacts small, is warm, comfortable, and lets me move around all I want to.

hopefulhiker
02-29-2008, 18:28
I would highly reccommend looking at a down quilt, especially if you are a roller.. Get a good pad and a down quilt made for backpacking.. You won't regret it...

Nearly Normal
02-29-2008, 19:33
Sierra Designs is making a stretch bag again but I think my next bag is a Montbell.