PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johnny's Hostel

Former Admin
10-05-2002, 17:27
Comments, experiences, opinoins, good or bad related to Uncle Johnny's Hostel.

The Weasel
10-05-2002, 19:03
In '00, I stayed at Uncle Johnny's twice; the picture of me "hard at work" in the Gallery is his front porch.

You will find a very well run, very clean and friendly "commercial" hostel here, immediately upon coming down the hill to the Nolichucky River: The hostel is literally at trailside, between the road at the foot of the hill and the River, which is just across the street.

There are about three or so ways to stay here: The bunkhouse is the cheapest; there are several private rooms with anywhere from 1 to 2 or 3 beds; there is open space for tenting. The bunkhouse (didn't stay there) is very nice, friendly, with 25 cent videos. It's in the main building, which has a covered porch with tables and a hammock and a barbecue area. John has occasional burger 'ques, and doesn't charge. Fuel by the ounce, a small gear store, accepts maildrops, coffee, friendly. The "rooms" are in a separate building, and are new, with good mattresses (builtins) in bunk fashion, real doors with locks, and very nice. Shower/wash area is clean and nice, and an OUTSIDE dish washing area (smart idea). Tenting area is generally level, untreed (hammocks would be hard). John is open to groups, so occasionally there will be some Boy Scouts there for a night or two, but no problems. Small amount of road traffic (the hostel is bounded on 3 sides by roads) causes minor noise.

John knows most of the other tourism related folk in Erwin; he made great arrangements for me and my daughter for rafting, when she came to walk with me on the trail, and when I had a minor gear problem, did a pickup from a large outfitter in Johnson City (about 20 miles away) for me, and only charged the cost of the part.

Still has free bikes, but largely unnecessary: Erwin is the easiest town I've ever seen for AT hikers to hitch into and out of (downtown is about a mile away).

When I was there, he didn't have internet access, but the town library is VERY friendly to thruhikers.

Good value, friendly, everything you need in one place.

chris
10-06-2002, 18:58
I stayed at Johnny's this May and really enjoyed it. The bunkhouse had free videos there and coffee by donation. There was fuel by the ounce, but some hiker had left a full gallon of whitegas. So, there wasn't any charge when I was there. Accomodations were excellent and I got a ride into Erwin to the pizza place by Johnny, a ride back from his wife, and a round trip to the gas station for beer from his wife as well. I think I paid $10. Very clean shower/bathroom area with very hot water (and lots of it). Some people complained about his slackpacking practices (i.e, charging more the next day for the same ride), but this didn't bother me a lick as I wasn't slacking and didn't see the need to start. I would highly recommend Uncle Johnny's to people going through Erwin.

Ezra
10-06-2002, 23:37
I have one beef about Uncle Johnnys. I stopped there for a shower and to get laundry done last November. While I was there I sent home some extra things to lighten my load,after the package was already sealed I saw John had t-shirts so I bought one with the understanding that John would package it and send it to my home. Well, weeks later the shirt never arrived so I called John and he apologized saying he forgot to send it. To make a long story short, after many unreturned phone calls I never received my shirt which I paid for. I've heard good and bad stories about Uncle Johnnys.

Peaks
10-07-2002, 07:00
I'll echo Chris's comments. In my case, Uncle Johnny even arranged for a ride to and from Trail Days in a motor home.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2002, 18:16
Why anyone would choose this place over the genuine warmth, friendliness, hospitality, and limitless kindness of Miss Janet's Place is an utter mystery to me. The overwhelming majority of the Class of 2002 made the deliberate decision NOT to stay here, for numerous reasons. I suggest the Class of 2003 take this into consideration when they plan their trips. Details available upon request, but really, all one need do is talk to anyone who hiked this year. If you don't go to Janet's, then stay at a motel; you'll be happier, you'll be treated better, and you'll still have your wallet when you leave.

chris
10-15-2002, 08:41
Well, as a hiker who stayed at Johnny's this year, I have no reservations about recommending it to others for next year. From some of the posts that I've read in the past, it appears that one's experience at Uncle Johnny's is rather variable. Johnny fas fun, friendly, and helpful. The hostel was worth a lot more than the $10 I paid out. After all, I got to watch a fine Keanu Reeves movie while there. The only people that I met on the trail that didn't like Johnny's were the slackpackers or those who didn't stay there but had just heard about things happenning at UJ's. Perhaps his mood swings quite a bit and I just came through on one of the upswings.

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2002, 11:51
Not to prolong this argument or anything, but this really needs to be said: I'm glad Chris had a good time there. I'm sure he wasn't alone. However, it absolutely cannot be denied that a great many folkds DID NOT; there were repeated unpleasant stories that came out of this place, and I'm not talking about hearsay, rumor, or hiker scuttlebutt. I'm talking about stuff personally known to me, personally witnessed, or things I read in registers by folks who supplied their real names, dates, etc. The long and the short of it is that most folks opted to stay elsewhere in Erwin this year, and will probably do likewise next year, (if they have any sense!) unless this place cleans up its act, especially as regards such matters as rudeness, incivility, arbitrary denial of goods and services on short notice, abusive language and behavior, price gouging, interfering with his competitor's business, lying outright to hikers and others about his competitor's business, and so on. Anyone who spent any length of time on the Trail this year knows exactly what I'm talking about here, folks, so let's stop with the delicate traipsing around. It's not necessary to pussyfoot around on this one. Here's the news: While there were absolutely people who enjoyed their stays at Johnny's just fine, the OVERWHELMING favorite for thru-hikers this year was Miss Janet's---I personally know of at least a dozen folks who spent their first night off the Trail at John's, and then moved to Janet's for their zero day----or days. They had many reasons for doing so. I know of NOBODY who did this in reverse, and left Janet's to stay at John's. To me, that says it all.

chris
10-15-2002, 12:17
I am sure Baltimore Jack was in contact with many more thruhikers than I was this summer (since I only walked for a month), I did not meet anyone who was dissatisfied with Uncle Johnny's, except for slackpackers and people working on rumors. Of course, this doesn't mean that other people did not have a tough time there; I just didn't meet any of them. One possible explanation of this is that Johnny had a helper around during the few weeks before and after I went through. A SOBO hiker would had broken his collarbone and was spending his time mending by looking after the hostel. So, Johnny was not around as much as he might have been otherwise. Given my treatment at Uncle Johnny's, I just can't help but recommend that people stay there.

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2002, 15:19
Not to belabor the point any more than necessary, Chris, but if you were out for a month and encountered nobody with anything bad to say about the place under discussion, well, excuse me for saying this, but it's evident to me that you either didn't encounter that many folks during your trip, or more likely, the subject wasn't discussed that often. If you're back in the area, check out the Curly Maple Gap register just north of Erwin; or, check out any number of thru-hiker Journals posted at www.trailjournals or elsewhere. You will see ample and repeated corroborative evidence of what I'm talking about here. Nobody is disputing that you enjoyed your stay there---I've made this point several times already. But you are choosing to ignore the incontrovertible fact that a great many folks didn't, and with all due respect, Chris, this was the studied opinion of folks who were out a lot longer than a month, who had the opportunity to stay at a great many hiker facilities, and were thus in a poisition to make fairer and more accurate comparisons between Uncle Johnny's place and any number of comparable businesses, NONE of which had anywhere near as many problems as UJ's.

I think we've beaten this one to death, Chris. I'm glad you feel comfortable shilling for this place; I feel equally comfortable, based on my own experience and knowledge, in advising and suggesting that folks seek friendlier accomodations elsewhere. Lastly, I find it amusing that Chris makes prominent mention of the fact that during much of his stay, the owner of Uncle Johnny's was frequently absent or off the grounds. Perhaps there is a direct correlation to the level of courtesy and service one receives depending on the presence of the owner at the time of one's visit. In other words, that fact that Chris enjoyed his visit at a time when the owner of UJ's was not around to display his particular and peculiar forms of hospitality---well, maybe there's no coincidence that this is why Chris had such a ball there. Pretty funny if you think about it.

Peaks
10-15-2002, 16:47
Not to prolong the discussion, but I going to anyway.

Myself, I felt well treated at Uncle Johnny's. I have no beef with the man. On the other hand, I didn't go over to Miss Janet's to see what that was like.

But, Jack, has done the trail about 6 times more than I have, so I'll yield to his experience on Erwin Tenn.

And certainly, Jack is 100% correct that a lot of people complained about Uncle Johnny, and no one complained about Miss Janet that I was aware of, or read about.

I'm sure there are reasons why some get along better than others, but let's not go there at this time.

Chris, if you had a good experience, as did I, maybe we were the lucky ones, because a whole lot of hikers bitched about the place.

Former Admin
10-15-2002, 17:40
To add my 2cents, anyone that wants to stay in a hostel in Erwin and doesn't stay at Miss Janet's is missing out. I have not stayed at Miss Janet's myself and probably will not when I pass thru Erwin in March, since I prefer hotels when in towns that provide them, but I know in fact that I will go visit Miss Janet and hang out there for a while on my off day.

I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Janet at trail days and spent a few drunken days around her camp :D LOL. Miss Janet is not just a hostel owner, she is very involved in the trail community and has given many hours of service to hikers for free over the years, with out so much as asking for a dime. She is friendly to everyone, even some of us obnoxious drunks that were around her camp at Trail Days:p LOL Just these facts alone would sway my decision to stay at Miss Janets, with-out even getting in to the nasty attitudes of Uncle Johnny.

Hammock Hanger
10-15-2002, 20:50
I do not usually put down an establishment on the trail, as I find each hiker seems to walk away with a different feeling or prospective. I have to say though that of every hostel I stayed at and I hit most... johnny's was the only one where i left with a sour taste in my mouth. Just my opinion and all I'll say no more on the matter.

Hammock Hanger

chris
10-16-2002, 09:06
It appears that Baltimore Jack and I agree and disagree over the same points. Although I do think the point is done to death now, I would like to respond to some of the issues brought up in B.Jack's last post. Before launching into what I have to say, I should add that if in Erwin again, I will try Miss Janet's for diversity's sake.

I prominently mentionned that I was only out for a month and Jack was out for the full haul. Hence, my range of contacts with people who had experience with Uncle Johnny's was necessarily more limited than B. Jack's. This isn't to say that I strolled down the trail with my fingers in my ears and kept my eyes shut at shelters. It simply stated a fact. I also mentionned that Johnny was around quite a bit less than he usually would be. I did these things for the purpose of fair discussion: To state clearly and without obfuscation some of the underlying facts of my visit to Uncle Johnny's. This way, people can judge for themselves what I have to say without worrying about hidden agendas on my part. I stated them as a way to take the view of the other side of the argument.

Concerning www.trailjournals.com. I have read many of the journals from the 2001 thru hikers and some of the 2002. Yes, there are some people who have problems with Uncle Johnny. There are also people who have a fine stay, like I did. We all, however, must admit that the trailjournals.com is hardly a representative sampling of people passing through Erwin on longer hikes. I did not stay at Curely Maple Gap, but made a point at stopping by all the shelters I passed to rest and eat. I would read the registers while I rested. I must not have read back far enough to get to the slew of entries mentionned by B.Jack. While they may have had terrible stays, I did not nor did anyone I come across (again, with my provisos of previous posts). I certainly did not have the delight of sampling all of the various hostels along the trail, but I think I would recognize a bad stay from a good one without such experience.

Finally, I am not shilling for any place or anyone. I am not an agent for Uncle Johnny. I am not under the pay of Uncle Johnny nor am I hoping to dupe anyone into staying at Uncle Johnny's inorder to profit by some sort of swindle. That is, as I am sure Baltimore Jack is aware, what the verb "to shill" means. If some one has evidence otherwise, no one would be happier than I to see it. I suspect that "shill" was not used according to the meaning of the word. B. Jack gives his posts the title of advice. I would like to believe that I advise, rather than swindle, which I seem to be accused of doing.

Peaks
10-16-2002, 09:29
OK, enough said. Let's move on to more productive things.

Moderator, can we close this thread?

The Weasel
10-16-2002, 14:56
While I understand why Peaks suggests closing the thread, it should not be....

Uncle Johnny's is a very obvious hostel along the trail, and what is obvious from Jack's and Chris' posts is not only that there are differences of opinions, but that this hostel, like others, changes in quality and style over time (which is why, in '00, there were virtually no negatives about it, to my knowledge, in trail registers, while there were many positives). Equally, I suspect/hope that this thread will come to Johnny's attention and, rather than get angry/defensive, he will look at it as a way to realize that there are some things he needs to do to keep the respect of the hiker community. Lastly, it needs to stay open as a thread so that any future changes - for the better or the worse - are known to the rest of us. Those are good reasons, and this thread must remain to serve this forum's members on an ongoing basis.

That having been said, I both know - repeat, know - that Chris isn't on anyone's take, and I am sure that all the rest of you know that as well. And I am equally certain that Jack did not mean that, but was being his usual occasionally overly-blunt self, with no intention of offending. And so we can, I hope, continue to see comments about the pros and cons of Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel, and let the readers decide for themselves if they wish to stay there or the apparently delightful Miss Janet's (or both!) as they come down the hill to Erwin.

The Weasel

MOWGLI
10-17-2002, 11:57
I stayed at Uncle Johnnys in 2000 during my thru-hike and had a fine time. I had friends who had unpleasant experiences with the proprietor. That wasn't my experience.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Miss Janet as she was running shuttles at Uncle Johnnys that spring. She is a wonderful person, and I enjoyed my time with her. At Trail Days in 2001 she not only remembered me, but rememberd that I had 4 daughters and asked about them. That really impressed me.

In life, I try to judge people baed upon my own personal experiences. My experience with Johnny was pleasany, but thankfully, money was not a central issue for me.

Miss Janet is amazing, and I would love to stay at her place if I was in Erwin.

Just my .02 based upon my season on the AT.

Bluebearee
10-28-2002, 22:29
While I realize this thread has been running for awhile, I just came upon it and I must comment from my own personal experience May 29th at approximately 11-11:30 am. Here's the scenario:

I came out of the woods after 5 days from Hot Springs, where I had left the trail for Trail Days followed by my father-in-laws death in Pittsburgh. I was in need of a phone to call my husband and find out how things were after I left there, the funeral, etc. It had been a trying 5 days hiking alone, not many thru-hikers around me. I see U.J. place, I see a soda machine, I see a phone on a deck. I want to sample all of these. I also wanted to meet the man and make up my own mind, despite what I had been hearing last winter on the 'net. He came over immediately and introduced himself, and my first reaction was "car salesman, why is he trying to sell me on staying here?" I can smell a hard sell a mile away. And that's usually as far as I walk to leave one behind. Without going into the banter of back and forth, the name Miss Janet was brought up immediately, I told him I really didn't know what I was doing, where I was staying, or even IF I was staying in town. I had a mail drop and that was as much as I knew. All this is true, I really hadn't made up my mind how much of Erwin I was going to avail myself of. He approached me 3 times and when I wouldn't commit to "yes, I'll stay here and give you my first born" (sarcasm, sorry, can't help it) he YELLED at me, pointing a finger "if you want to support her illegal hostel, then get the hell off my porch".

I did. Crying. On the bridge, where a fellow thru-hiker found me. I did absolutely 100% nothing wrong, I hadn't called Miss Janet from "his" phone, nor was I going to. I'm not STUPID. I wanted a cold drink, a place to sit and a phone to call home. My indecision ratcheted up his mood, I could see him getting madder and madder. I threw my hands in the air and said "all I'm doing is hiking the Trail" NO ONE should ever be treated like this, for no ****ing reason. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it again. This was hands down, the WORST treatment I received on the Trail. This isn't hearsay, it happened to me. And by chance, Chris, you weren't the Chris there that day, Tom in the Woods spoke to you on the bridge and introduced me to you as you were trying out one of U.J.'s lightweight packs?? If so, surely you heard all of this. No one else on that porch came to my defense or even acted like this behavior was out of the ordinary. It was deplorable. I walked across the bridge and prepared myself to walk the 4 miles to town. Luckily 3 river guides pulled up and drove me in where I was welcomed with open arms, no questions asked. I never told her the story, but she heard about it and APOLOGIZED to me for his actions.

That's it, I'm done. You can read about it in my journal as well. He wasn't drunk, but if he's truly a generous person, then he's got one helluva split personality.

Bluebearee

chris
10-29-2002, 08:45
Sorry, different Chris. I certainly would have left Uncle Johnny's had I been there. I was in Erwin on May 22. Digger and Giggler were there with me, along with a few slackpackers, whose names I forget. The slackpackers were moving to Miss Janet's because Johnny was charging them more to slack the second day than he did the first day.

The Weasel
10-29-2002, 12:57
Blueberry ---

Your story is one that shouldn't stop here, and I am glad you put it in this forum; it tells a far different story than the one that I experienced 2 years earlier at Johnny's. But I'd also like to ask you to forward your story to the ALDHA ("American Long Distance Hiker's Association), which prepares the Companion based in large part on hiker information. They NEED to know about what happened to you, and since it's not merely a "this is a horrible place run by a horrible man and blah blah blah" type of rant but one with - as Admin so correctly notes "has facts", I think it would be given serious consideration by ALDHA, with at least a contact by them to Johnny's. Wingfoot/Trailplace should also be informed for his Handbook and On-Line Guide.

Some of our reports of trail conditions, hostels and shelters are ones found in the guides, or aren't all that critical, or go beyond what their limited space permits. But trail problems MUST be reported to the appropriate place: If it's a trail defect or shelter in disrepair, to the local maintenance club. If it's about a provider who is more-or-less recommended in one of the Guides, the ALDHA and WF need to know since so many of us rely on those guides for making choices. I know from experience that such writers pretty much ignore the "I've heard from a lot of people that this is a really crummy place" type of junk. But specific reports like yours are viewed pretty seriously by such writers.

If you need addresses for either ALDHA or WF, let me know. Sorry for the bad experience. Can't be excused, no matter how it can be explained.

The Weasel

chomp
10-30-2002, 13:51
Seriously, this place was no good way back in 1999 when I hiked, its just that the flaws were not as obvious. While I don't have a horror story from Jonny's, I do have a couple of stories that turned my stomach.

Before I attack the place, however, I do want to say that the facilities at Jonny's are top notch and that, on the WHOLE, I enjoyed my stay here. However, there were some things that happened that were just sleezy in my book which has resulted in me not recommending this place to anyone.

First, the stupid signs in the bathroom about not taking the toilet paper. Who thinks about this? I know a ton of people who actually took extra TP because of the signs, and not because they needed any or because they were planning to. It was just a dumb thing to do.

Second, Jonny is a slime ball - period. I was stuck in Erwin for 4 days with a bum ankle, and on day 3 I was hanging out on the front porch first thing in the morning. Jonny saw me there and asked me to come into the shop. He then asked if I wanted a cup of coffee. AFTER he handed me the coffee, he told me how much it was. Jeesh, thanks Jonny.

The other slimmy thing that went on there was that some friends of Jonny's would come over to the porch and wave a plate of brownies or cookies under the hiker's noses. Then, after they got your attention, you were told that it was a buck a piece. This was infuriating - if you want to bring your brownies for sale over and put them on a table, fine. But to put the plate of goodies in front of EVERY hiker on the porch was inexcusable.

I also want to note that a lot of people did enjoy their time at Uncle Jonny's, and a bit part of them enjoying his facility was the generosity of Miss Janet, who was working for/with Jonny at the time.

Finally, if you had a good time a Jonny's, great! I think that if I had only stayed there for 2 days in 1999 I would have had a much different take on the place. Before Miss Janets, I didn't tell people NOT to stay there, but I warned them that there is a charge for EVERYTHING, literally. Except for the movies, those are free to watch (at least in 99 they were).

-chomp

Moose2001
10-31-2002, 08:25
I think the biggest difference between Johnny's and other hostels is Johnny is in it for the money. The difference between his hostel and those that ran hostels for the love of it was obvious. Johnny tried to make a buck off every hiker in every way possible. True his facilites are first class, some of the best on the trail. However, the blatant attempts to pull every penny possible from hikers was just to much for me. Even if Miss Janet's didn't exist, I would pass Johnny by on my 2003 hike. I'll vote with my wallet and my feet. The only saving grace for Uncle Johnny in 2001 was Murphy. She was working for Johnny, trying to get some experience before she and her husband opened their own hostel. She was a gem. I've never heard anything about them opening a hostel. To bad, I'm sure it would of been a first class operation.

Bluebearee
11-02-2002, 17:27
Thanks Weasel,

Yes, I guess I should send it on. I had heard (now this a trail rumor) that he wasn't going to be listed in the Campanion or WF this next year. ?? I'm sure I can find both addresses on line, I know WF moved back to GA and is no longer in Hot Springs. Interesting enough, the latest ATN has a letter to the editor from some folks who were getting a shuttle from UJ and they overheard a similiar discourse happen, as they put it: the young hiker was indecisive about where he were staying and UJ yelled and ordered him off the property. I was told by others that as soon as people don't say they're staying with him immediately he "knows" they're going to Miss Janets. He knew no such horses*** about me, I don't like people that assume they know me. Aarrgghhh,,,

Chris, guess you were a different Chris. btw, Digger and Giggler and I were within 2 days of each other at almost every point along the trail, they summitted 1 day before me in October and we started the same day in GA. Due to my extended 9 days off for the above reasons, I was further behind at that point, but caught them in Catawba. Glad you weren't the same Chris, as I was disbelieving that after witnessing this, he just said "nice to meet you" while we were on the bridge w/o acknowledging what had just transpired 5 minutes before @ U.J.'s.

BB

MOWGLI
11-03-2002, 11:31
Originally posted by Bluebearee

..was told by others that as soon as people don't say they're staying with him immediately he "knows" they're going to Miss Janets...
I think this is perhaps partly true. In 2000 Miss Janet was running shuttles for Uncle Johnny. I know, because she took me into town to shop during the day, and into town again at night to see Erin Brockovich at the local movie theatre.

I had a nice stay at UJ's, but some friends of mine (who were at that point about 2 weeks behind me) had a different experience. As a couple, they wanted more private accomodations than the bunkhouse afforded. UJ said they could stay in a trailer out back for $25 (or so). When my friends said they wanted to discuss it among themselves before committing to spend the $$, UJ jumped ugly on them (he who hesitates gets yelled at). With that, my friends left and had a really nice stay at the Nolichucky Gorge Campground a mile or so up the trail.

So... it seems as if this type of reaction predates Miss Janet's Hostel being in place.

IMO, if you go to Erwin with an open mind, you can enjoy your stay at UJ's, Miss Janets, or the campground. If you seek a bit more solitude, and want to stay close to the river (and remain outside the UJ - Miss Janet fray) perhaps the campground is for you.

Bluebearee
11-13-2002, 14:31
Thanks Weasel,

I have not had the emotional energy it would take to send off my U.J.'s experience to Wingfoot or the Companion. And having just read Jensine's reply under her establishment's post, I am questioning whether it is my place. To reiterate for the record, I have spelled out exactly how things went down for me on "his" porch, the only crime I was guilty of was that of being indecisive. I also heard good things from others about their experience with staying with him. I don't refute them, all I know is first hand to me. He brought up Miss Janet's name first, I never would have; I didn't go there to rile him up. I merely wanted a place to sit, a soda (which I found out later the machine wasn't stocked, I only had a $20 bill and was afraid to ask him for change) and to call my husband. He became visibly agitated when I couldn't tell him my plans. The man has an anger problem, no doubt.

I expected as a hiker, as a human being to be treated with civility, that's all. Overwhelmingly, the hostels I stayed at along the Trail, (and I hit many of them) went way beyond that.

Bluebearee

jensine
11-13-2002, 15:19
Bluebearee and others. please when you have an experience with any service provider along the AT report it to both guide authors. Hopefully you will report the good and the bad. To my knowledge neither author's have done much hiking in the past years. So their info comes mostly through you all. For example, our Companion field rep stops by every fall and asks if we have any changes from last years edition. He and his wife stayed here years ago on their thru hike. Likewise, Dan calls every fall to ask if we have any changes.
All I ask is that you have your facts and state only the facts. Please don't report things such as, the place wasn't what you expected, it was snowing and you got the last bed and it was crowded, etc. Just a providers .02 worth. Thanks, Jensine

Lone Wolf
11-21-2002, 12:50
I would NEVER stay there. I know too much. Had a personal run-in with him 4 years ago. He really showed his ass and true character. He ain't "trail folk." Buyer beware.

The Weasel
11-21-2002, 15:45
One thing about the negative comments here that dawns, belatedly on me, is that it doesn't appear that anyone is telling "Uncle Johnny" how he is damaging his business by writing him directly, with a copy of the letter going to the ATC and to Wingfoot. John's in business to make money, and while some may think his failings must be apparent to him, that's not necessarily the case. And, given notice together with a copy to the appropriate writers, he'll either change (and prosper) or he won't (and won't).

If Jensine, in reading this, thinks (as I hope she will), "Hey! Is this the guy who didn't write ME about his problems at Rainbow Springs?), she is absolutely right, and entitled to an apology. Jensine, I'm sorry.

All you others with hard feelings about treatment from Uncle Johnny should write a polite letter that describes what you have said here. You owe it to future hikers, you owe it to the trail, and, in fairness, you owe it to him.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2002, 15:49
Believe me, Weasel he knows. He knows, he's had ample opportunity to change, he obviously has no interest in doing so. The fact that there were more problems this year than any year previously proves this. If the reputation of his business suffers as a result, or if in fact he ends up getting dropped by some of the Guidebooks, he has nobody to blame but himself.

gravityman
11-21-2002, 16:17
A lot of bad press out there on Uncle Jonnie's. If it wasn't for the fact that you almost have to hike across his front porch no one would stay there I am sure.
We got off easy. I think I remember him exploding at someone while I was there. Once again it was related to a "If you aren't staying here get off my porch" thing. He gets very upset about that.
Anyway, I will caution people not to rely on him to send mail! I gave him my tent to send home. Took 8 months to get to my parents! However, he did send a free shirt with the package. I must have gotten the shirt the other person posted about buying but never recieved. :) He got the address wrong 5, yes, 5 times! I called him every month for 6 months until I finally got it. The package came to my parents house with different parts of the address scribbled out and the corrected address written in. Also "return to sender" stamps were all over it. I was impressed that anyone could run a buisness but not be able to send a package... I'm glad I didn't send my tent up the trail. I probably would never have seen it, nor my free shirt, again.
Enjoy,
Gravityman

Lugnut
11-21-2002, 16:21
In all fairness, it is a really nice porch! :D

Former Admin
11-21-2002, 18:23
Yeah from the pictures i've seen it looks like a nice place to plop down and drink a few beers, then move on to miss Janets or a hotel in town.

gravityman
11-22-2002, 11:25
That's were a lot of people get in trouble. He gets VERY upset if you want to hang on the porch, but not stay. Kinda understandable (but of course his reaction is overblown!) as it cost him a good bit to build it in order to attract people to stay with him. Of course its bad buisness since it alienates a lot of people.
So word of warning, if you aren't staying there, and don't want to get yelled at, don't hang out on his porch!

smokymtnsteve
12-30-2002, 12:48
I have stayed at johnnys many time begining in 1999...and have used his shuttle service 3 times ...I have never had any problems with uncle johnny..the shuttles were reasonable and on time..I always drop by during oct and storytelling time in Jonesboro..johnny welcomes folks going to storytelling...I do some hiking in winter and the heated bathroom is great..I have heard a lot of folks spew about johnny...If you don't want to stay there then don't...I have also heard about drinking parties at miss janet's ...having never stayed there I don't know if this is true or not...

johnny s hostel is always clean and no trouble makers allowed ..I will stay there my next trip through..well if he will let this trouble maker stay I will.. :)

Bluebearee
12-30-2002, 15:57
I guess the difference is, most of the other hostels I experienced were perfectly fine with providing a place for hikers to make phone calls, buy things they may have for sale, do laundry, maybe take a shower (all of these for a fee, which I would expect, I'm not looking for a freeload here) and hang out for a bit, without necessarily spending the night. That was my point, I really didn't know if I was staying in Erwin or moving on, but many of the above items I could have accomplished through his help (including a shuttle to the PO), yet when I received the "hard sell" - and trust me, I know very well when I'm being sold something, it did nothing except push me away. He could have made a few bucks off of me for those services alone instead of driving me away completely and making an ass out of himself.

I don't know why it matters if someone stays there or not, but I guess that's his underlying philosophy. In that case, he should have one of those signs on his porch, saying private property for paying guest. I thought it was a safe haven for hikers. The phone was the big attractant.

Bluebearee

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2002, 17:47
A hostel owner absolutely has the right to ask folks if they're planning to stay or not, and within reason, he has a right to ask people to move on at a certain point in the day (say 6 PM or whatever) if they are not overnight guests.

However, most hostels are perfectly cool with people spending some time, talking with friends, etc., and this works out well for the hostels as well, as the non-overnighters frequently make use of, and pay for some of the other amenities offerred---soda machines, laundry facilities, goods from the camp store, etc.

What is unacceptable, tho, is outright rudeness and incivility when a hostel owner discovers you're not planning to stay, or if he gets angry on discovering where you happen to be going. (Or if he eavesdrops on your conversations or phone calls and THEN gets angry, as is frequently the case in Erwin). There is NEVER an excuse for this sort of behavior, it's very unpleasant to be on the receiving end of this sort of thing, or to witness it happening to others, and it makes the offending person look horrible, which subsequently leads to very bad word-of-mouth for the hostel and its proprietors; entries in registers; and yes, sometimes to written letters of complaint.

In almost every case, this unpleasantness is as avoidable as it is unwarranted, and if it becomes a frequent occurence at a specific place, this is something that needs to be addressed.

smokymtnsteve
12-30-2002, 18:16
Johnny gave me a cup of coffee and he held a bounce box for me from spring until Oct ... course I always go by and say hello to Johhny when I'm in the area...and I try to buy some supplies from him...I mean it is a business ..he's got to make some money to stay open...I like johnny he always has a good deal on pre-paid phone cards..and he is open all year!

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2002, 19:42
I'm delighted, Steve, that you were fortunate enough to enjoy your visit there. Please respect the fact that many folks were not as fortunate as you. But as has been said many times before, the individual hiker has to decide these things for themselves.

alpine
12-09-2003, 11:23
with drawn

oyvay
12-15-2003, 13:48
When I hiked in 2000, I stayed at UJ's for two nights. I had a fine stay watched the extras he liked to tack on to hikers bills. I've been back to Erwin many times (by car) and have stayed at Miss J's. The first time I stopped by UJ's to say hello he was polite and showed me some of the added stuff from when I was there. I'll always tell people about UJ's, but I'll RAVE about Miss Janet's (and warn people not to say the name "Janet" in UJ's presence.
The past few years UJ has been trying to get Miss J shut down by using slanderous accusations at town council meetings. His behavior is too much and should stop. For the hikers who have written in the shelter registers North and South of Erwin about UJ, if you'd like to do more send an account to the chamber of commerce in Erwin, because if town officials don't read about it, it didn't happen.

GNOME
12-18-2003, 16:51
Comments, experiences, opinoins, good or bad related to Uncle Johnny's Hostel.
I'm new to the website and have to respond on this subject.

During my 2001 Thru-hike, I count my experience at Uncle Johnnys as the absolute WORST of the entire journey. I observed dishonest business practices, a poor and near violent temperment, and blatent drunkeness, all of which came to a point where a physical assault occured.

I would highly recommend that all future hikers avoid this place in favor of Miss Janet's, where you will be treated to one of the kindest and most friendly family atmospheres on the Trail.
GNOME

azchipka
02-14-2004, 07:52
This may seem like a silly place to ask but since the place is included in the thread does any one know how i can get ahold of miss janets house?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2004, 08:01
220 North Elm Ave., Erwin Tn., 37650 423-743-1932

bearbait2k4
02-14-2004, 19:15
Uncle Johnny can take his dumb, stinky attitude to hell with him.

I, unwittingly, schedule a few mail drops there (one being food, another, really, being an unscheduled care package from a friend, and another being a stove I sent up from Hot Springs while testing an alcohol stove), and had to request, several times, for him to check and re-check the mail drops to find everything that I knew had been mailed to his establishment. Somehow, my stove from Hot Springs never made it, even though it was the first of all packages to be sent (I stayed in Hot Springs for a week, went to Trail Days, came back, and hiked to Erwin - - the stove was mailed at the beginning of my stay, via priority mail). He was very nice, but only until I said that I was moving on - - and I did not loiter at all.

He was very rude to quite a few hiking friends, including some who simply were waiting on his porch for his arrival so they could purchase a few things, or pick up mail drops. If he doesn't want to deal with these people, then he SHOULD have his location taken out as a supply/mail drop location.

Chef2000
02-15-2004, 08:51
I always have my maildrops sent to the Post Office, to avoid problems. Even if you stay at a certain hostel, your in the town. If you send your packages Priority, the PO will forward them for free, as long as they have not been opened

rumbler
02-15-2004, 11:24
I always have my maildrops sent to the Post Office, to avoid problems. Even if you stay at a certain hostel, your in the town. If you send your packages Priority, the PO will forward them for free, as long as they have not been opened

In an aberration of coincidence, I kept wanting to arrive at every maildrop town on a Saturday afternoon, inevitably after the PO closed for the weekend. It became a very strange phenomenon that made for a few interestingly long Friday hikes.

Footslogger
02-15-2004, 12:46
In an aberration of coincidence, I kept wanting to arrive at every maildrop town on a Saturday afternoon, inevitably after the PO closed for the weekend. It became a very strange phenomenon that made for a few interestingly long Friday hikes.
Very true Rumbler, but then again I recall that it made for some much needed zero days now and then.

rumbler
02-15-2004, 13:01
:p Yes. Yes it did.

bearbait2k4
02-15-2004, 14:21
See, I had the same problem with almost all of my PO mail drops. I don't know why, but I somehow was stuck with Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning arrivals.

It made for a lot of hitching into town and slacking on Sundays for me. When I get back out, I would rather not have to deal with the worry of making it to town on a certain day, so that I know I will get my mail drop.

That's just me, though.

Brushy Sage
02-15-2004, 15:32
Believe me, Weasel he knows. He knows, he's had ample opportunity to change, he obviously has no interest in doing so. The fact that there were more problems this year than any year previously proves this. If the reputation of his business suffers as a result, or if in fact he ends up getting dropped by some of the Guidebooks, he has nobody to blame but himself.

The 2003 Thru-Hikers' Companion does not list his establishment, and does not show it on the map of the Erwin, TN area. I haven't seen the 2004 edition yet.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2004, 16:43
No, he's not in the 2004 edition either, leaving one with the conclusion that he either made no effort to convince the folks at ALDHA and the ATC that he'd addressed the many problems and complaints; or, his convincing evidently wasn't sufficvient for him to be re-listed; or, and this is the likliest of all, he simply doesn't care.

Prudent hikers in 2004 should be aware of this history and should make their Erwin plans accordingly.

A-Train
02-15-2004, 17:02
Not wishing to start any trouble here, simply to report that Wingfoot has choosen to put Uncle Johhny in the handbook. He said on his site that there was only one complaint, compared to the other place (miss janets) where many more complaints were heard. Whether or not this is true is hard to tell. A large number of thru-hikers carry the handbook, so uncle J will have some business, thats for sure.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2004, 18:26
A-Train---

When on earth did Wingfoot print this bit of nonsense??? It is absolutely false. There have been problems and complaints about Uncle Johnny's since the day it opened, and Wingfoot clearly is aware of this, but has chosen to ignore it. If he genuinely believes that the problems there all arose from the complaint of one disgruntled hiker, then this proves, regrettably, just how out of touch he is. However, I don't think he's out of touch at all----I think he's very much aware of the level of discontent in the hiker community regarding Mr. Shores' business practices, his treatment of hikers, and his scandalous behavior towards competing businesses. Unfortunately, I think that Wingfoot has stayed overly loyal to an old friend, an in so doing, is perfoming a dis-service to hikers who need facts and accurate information regarding the Trail, trail services, and trail service providers.

The fact of the matter is this: Uncle Johnny's has generated more complaints from more people than ANY other place in the history of thru-hiking; its unsavory reputation is notorious, and this is due entirely because of the character and business practices of the proprietor. Nobody else is to blame here, and it is only the owner who can correct this, assuming he wishes to restore the good name of his business. But for a reputable hiker guidebook to ignore the reality of the situation by continuing to publicize the place is unfortunate, and for an educational website to print untruths about the situation in Erwin, and then to not allow the subject to be freely discussed and debated there, well this is even more unfortunate.

Future hikers deserve to know the facts so they can decide for themselves which places and businesses merit their respect and patronage, and which ones do not. To restrict the open discussion of these matters, or to print nformation which is palpably false, is not what future hikers need from websites, guidebooks, or anywhere else.

Peaks
02-15-2004, 18:52
Not wishing to start any trouble here, simply to report that Wingfoot has choosen to put Uncle Johhny in the handbook. He said on his site that there was only one complaint, compared to the other place (miss janets) where many more complaints were heard. Whether or not this is true is hard to tell. A large number of thru-hikers carry the handbook, so uncle J will have some business, thats for sure.

I think this shows how out touch Wingfoot is with the AT.

A-Train
02-15-2004, 18:56
No, I still list Uncle Johnny's, because I get many complimentary reports from people who have stayed there. In fact, I've only had one negative report about that place, which is actually less than I've had about the other place that hikers use.

This is Wingfoot's response to a thread on his site. So i don't get accused for theft or something, you can find this under General Discussions. The thread is called "trail towns".

snuffleupagus
02-15-2004, 19:35
There have been problems and complaints about Uncle Johnny's since the day it opened,
The fact of the matter is this: Uncle Johnny's has generated more complaints from more people than ANY other place in the history of thru-hiking; its unsavory reputation is notorious, and this is due entirely because of the character and business practices of the proprietor. Nobody else is to blame here, and it is only the owner who can correct this, assuming he wishes to restore the good name of his business. But for a reputable hiker guidebook to ignore the reality of the situation by continuing to publicize the place is unfortunate, and for an educational website to print untruths about the situation in Erwin, and then to not allow the subject to be freely discussed and debated there, well this is even more unfortunate.

Future hikers deserve to know the facts so they can decide for themselves which places and businesses merit their respect and patronage, and which ones do not. To restrict the open discussion of these matters, or to print nformation which is palpably false, is not what future hikers need from websites, guidebooks, or anywhere else.
Hey Jack,
I respect you as one of the foremost authorities on trail lodgings and your knowledge of places of interest on the trail is highly regarded to me. I've incorporated a lot of your postings into my thru hike itinerary. I've been up in the air as to where to stay when I get to this leg of my journey. I would hate to get to a hostel and find out that I would have been better off walking a few more miles for the convieniances I want, as opposed to having a poor stay at any hostel. Maybe I haven't done all my homework yet, but it sure would be helpful if you could list some of the complaints that you've heard regarding Uncle Johnny's. It seems like there are a lot of people that support one stop over the other. Are most requests for information on this matter in regards to the approximety to town? Does Uncle Johnny's really leave a bad taste in hiker's mouth's? In regard to what? I'm interested in the pro's and con's of all these hostels, in regards to my convieniance, and would definately be interested in hearing why one is better than the other, or worse than the other.

hikerltwt
02-15-2004, 19:54
Isn't this this point is pretty much beat? I reccomend Ms. Janets for so many more reasons than I could name. Even if Uncle Jonny were not the horse's ass I PERSONALLY know him to be Ms Janet's would be the place to stay while in Erwin for the same reason Kincora, Blueberry Patch and many other places are the place to stay in their communities.........MAGIC! Some places have the magic of the Appalachian Trail contained within them. Simple as that.

Tinker
02-15-2004, 19:59
While staying at Shaw's in Monson during a section hike last fall, I talked with several hikers who had problems with U.J. Others had nothing but praise for Miss Janet. With what I have read in the forum today, I think, just to avoid conflict, I'll be staying at Miss Janet's if I stay in town during my thru in 05.

Tinker

bearbait2k4
02-15-2004, 20:20
I can make a few comments.

The incident I mentioned above, about not receiving my stove mail drop from Hot Springs, a PO that was very familiar with hikers forwarding items to Erwin, so it was very routine, may not seem fishy in its own right. Of course, when you hear rumors on the trail about UJ snooping through mail drops, and keeping maildrops with valuables (things other than food) in them (which is a Federal Offense), and then your valuable maildrop turns up missing, then that seems like a little more than coincidence. I even checked back to see if the package arrived, but it never did. I know, rumors are rumors, but when the rumor begins to come true, based on your own experience, you tend to start wondering.

Not only that, but another hiking friend was gruffly asked to "just keep on moving," when UJ found out he wasn't staying there, but just stopped to get a soda and use the phone.

I had another hiking friend who, along with another hiker, was not only accused of stealing from Uncle Johnny (apparently, a watch that he swore up and down that he left laying out in his store front had disappeared), but was kicked off the property because of the supposed theft, although they were just sitting there on the porch, waiting for him to come back to his hostel so they could get a few things.

I have heard many other stories, in passing, but I will not post them up here. I believe the 2 instances above because they were told to me by part of my regular hiking family out there, people who I've hiked hundreds of miles with....and I believe my family.

I'm sure this is just a small instance, though. I'm reporting my personal occurence, but it's not my place to report the other 2.

weary
02-15-2004, 22:03
A-Train---

When on earth did Wingfoot print this bit of nonsense??? It is absolutely false. There have been problems and complaints about Uncle Johnny's since the day it opened, and Wingfoot clearly is aware of this, but has chosen to ignore it.

And someone else said, "I think He said on his site that he had heard "only one complaint, compared to the other place (miss janets) where many more complaints were heard

I think that those who have had different experiences should make a point of informing Wingfoot.

In my job for 30 years and as a volunteer for 13 years, I have been constantly asked, "why didn't you tell us about this."

The answer has been, "why didn't you or someone tell me so I could inform others."

Weary

Lugnut
02-15-2004, 22:10
No matter what anyone says, no matter the reputation of the person making that observation, no matter what the true facts are in regards to the Uncle Johnny/Ms. Janet situation, one fact remains. Uncle Johnnie's is 20 feet from the trail and many (if not most) hikers are not aware of what is going on; some use WF's book, some are new to the AT and thousands more never heard of this site, and so, if after the long desent down the mountain one sees a picnic table, hammock and a pepsi machine he, or she, will likely stop. If you happen to catch Johnny on a good day (and he does have a some) then you will probably stay. Maybe we could start a fund raiser so Janet can buy Johnnie's place. That would solve all the problems! Yeah, that's the ticket! :banana

steve hiker
02-15-2004, 22:31
But for a reputable hiker guidebook to ignore the reality of the situation by continuing to publicize the place is unfortunate, and for an educational website to print untruths about the situation in Erwin,

Then, his guidebook is not reputable. Nor is his website educational, but in the nature of misinformation or propaganda.

Miss Janet
02-15-2004, 23:28
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!
I would give 1,000,000 $$ (of my future lottery winnings!) if we could just have 1 year of peace!!! I have heard my name mentioned in conjuntion with UJ's so many times I know some people think we were a COUPLE! Please, lets give it a rest this year!

But it does bother me that I have spoken to Dan fairly recently and he did not tell me that he had had any complaints about my place. I really wish he had told me so that I could address them this season. There is no way to please everyone or control everything but the complaints could have been legitimate. I heard that Trailplace once had a commentary about the Hostel Wars that was pretty much Dans view of the whole problem in Erwin and it seemed to favor UJ's side. It is his site and he is entitled to his opinion. Despite all that I am sure that he included my information in his guidebook and I thank him for that.

I love having hikers stay with me but there are more of you than I can handle when it is very busy. I would love to have a HOTEL for about 6 weeks every year but ... I DO NOT WANT JOHN SHORE"S PLACE! He has a great location and I know many people have great stays there. But after helping at his place for years I knew that some hikers wanted to be in town. I simply provide an alternative. Just know that if you stay at his place you are very welcome to come into town and visit us and I hope you do.

All of this negative stuff every year goes against everything I believe in. The saddest thing I ever heard was a sobo kid who said he first heard about all of this way back in the 100 mile wilderness!!! So, please, help me find ways to stop all of this this year? Please?

Miss Janet
02-16-2004, 07:49
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!
I would give 1,000,000 $$ (of my future lottery winnings!) if we could just have 1 year of peace!!! I have heard my name mentioned in conjuntion with UJ's so many times I know some people think we were a COUPLE! Please, lets give it a rest this year!

But it does bother me that I have spoken to Dan fairly recently and he did not tell me that he had had any complaints about my place. I really wish he had told me so that I could address them this season. There is no way to please everyone or control everything but the complaints could have been legitimate. I heard that Trailplace once had a commentary about the Hostel Wars that was pretty much Dans view of the whole problem in Erwin and it seemed to favor UJ's side. It is his site and he is entitled to his opinion. Despite all that I am sure that he included my information in his guidebook and I thank him for that.

I love having hikers stay with me but there are more of you than I can handle when it is very busy. I would love to have a HOTEL for about 6 weeks every year but ... I DO NOT WANT JOHN SHORE"S PLACE! He has a great location and I know many people have great stays there. But after helping at his place for years I knew that some hikers wanted to be in town. I simply provide an alternative. Just know that if you stay at his place you are very welcome to come into town and visit us and I hope you do.

All of this negative stuff every year goes against everything I believe in. The saddest thing I ever heard was a sobo kid who said he first heard about all of this way back in the 100 mile wilderness!!! So, please, help me find ways to stop all of this this year? Please?
I am sorry I vented last night. It was not aimed at anyone just the situation.

Frosty
02-16-2004, 10:45
I am sorry I vented last night. It was not aimed at anyone just the situation.

Didn't see it as a vent, only a reminder that we all need to keep things in perspective, and that when issues get over-discussed, no one wins and the Trail loses.

Thanks,
Frosty

Kozmic Zian
02-16-2004, 11:17
Yea, UJ's.....Well, when I came through in '96, it wasn't there and I had a great stay at NOC. Everybody was staying there, then. Then, when I came down the hill in '00, here it was, this 'compound' right up against the hill. I mean, how insulting can you be. How obvious it was to me, that this person who had put this place here, did it to exploit hikers. Not me. I do not support commercial exploitation of the AT or hikers on the AT in any way, shape or form. UJ's, in my opinion, is just that! Sorry, Charlie, No Tuna!...KZ@

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2004, 19:21
Weary---

There's no point in "informing" Wingfoot, as he already knows all about the situation, including John Shore's disgusting attempts to interfere with Miss Janet's business operations this past summer and his repeated failed efforts to
get her closed down. In spite of all this, and in spite of being aware of the problem in Erwin for something like five years, he still includes Mr. Shores' business in his Erwin listings, and apparently, according to another poster here, he has made the remarkable observation on his website that he seems to feel that it is Janet's place that has received more complaints and has generated more problems, which is a categorically false and laughable statement.

In short, Weary, by printing nonsense such as this on his website, Mr. Bruce is either giving ample proof that he's woefully out-of-touch with the contemporary Trail, and woefully ignorant of the situation in Erwin, or worse, he is entirely aware of the nature of the problem there and is choosing to mis-lead people by printing innaccurate and false information.

There is no secret that there's been a problem in Erwin, and no secret that since its opening days, dozens of hikers have complained about one particular establishment there. I assure you that this is NOT unknown to the administration at Trailplace; unfortunately, like any other contentious or potentially controversial subject, this is NOT a subject that can or will be freely discussed there; I assure you, Weary, that if someone were to go on Trailplace and flatly ask "Why do you print such positive things about Uncle Johnny's despite massive evidence to the contrary?" that the question would be deleted before it could be answered, discussed, or debated, just as ANY similar discussion there would be similarly muzzled.

Weary---since YOU think contacting Trailplace about this issue is such a good idea, and since YOU have such confidence that the subject would be freely discussed and debated there, well why don't YOU go on a Forum there and introduce the subject. Then, feel free to tell us what happens. Fact is, Weary, there's no point in any of us trying to do this, as I have no doubt that the discussion would get anywhere; this is not something that the Trailplace administration wishes to discuss freely and openly, and were anyone to try to do so, and were anyone to question Trailplace and the Thru-Hiker's Handbook
about their continuing to publicize and speak well of a notoriously poorly-run
hiker facility, I have no doubt that the conversation would be strangled in infancy, and if anyone kept pushing the matter, they'd be thrown off the website. This is what happens over there to people who raise unpleasant subjects. I would attempt to sign up as a contributor there and introduce the subject, but believe me, I have better things to do with my time. I have NO confidence whatsoever that this subject would be granted fair and open debate there. This simply isn't permitted over there aandnever has been, and it's the principal reason I no longer have any use for the site. It's a lousy place to have a genuine and open discussion about anything, especially subjects that have generated controversy.

But if you disagree, well, YOU introduce the matter and tell us what transpires. Fact is, if Trailplace were honest about its reporting on this matter, our present discussion wouldn't be necessary. But if you think the solution is to "inform" Trailplace administration about the reality of the Erwin situation, well have fun. I assure you, they alredy know. But I'd be curious to see what happens.......when the conversation/thread is abrubptly terminated or shut down, I have no doubt that you'll have the integrity to let us know.

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2004, 19:35
It seems I sent my last post without having first read Miss Janet's request about letting things go this year and givig this all a rest.

And of course, she's right. This whole subject has been done to death. The 2004 hikers will decide for themselves what to do and where to stay in Erwin, which is how it should be. Many folks will stay with Janet and will have a wonderful time. Some will stay with John, and I hope that they, too, have a great stay. Others will stay in a motel or other location; others may skip Erwin altogether and move on towards Roan Mountain and Damascus.

I hope Janet is right and that this year we can all move on past much of the upleasantness of the past. This will happen when service providers in Erwin and elsewhere realize that there are plenty of hikers to go around, and that no one facility can possibly hope to take care of them all; therefore it's in everone's interest to run, clean, safe, friendly, reputable businesses, where everyone benefits, both the proprietors and the hikers, who really don't want to deal with these petty and entirely unnecessary disputes.

I hope things go better in 2004 both in Erwin and elsewhere. This way, service providers can center their energies on improving their businesses, which will inevitably help their own reputations; hikers can center their energies on the trips, and can avoid getting tangled up in the annual hostel-war controversy.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

weary
02-17-2004, 00:02
Weary---since YOU think contacting Trailplace about this issue is such a good idea, and since YOU have such confidence that the subject would be freely discussed and debated there, well why don't YOU go on a Forum there and introduce the subject. Then, feel free to tell us what happens. .

The 2003 Thru Hiker Handbook has entirely neutral listings for both hostels. A search of Uncle Johnnies on Trailplace turned up no specific discussion of either hostel, just a general discussion of hostel rivalries and a suggestion that thru hikers should not participate in them.

Since neither hostel existed when I went through in 1993 and I have no first hand knowledge of either place, I think it would be more valuable for those who have first hand information to notify Trailplace of their experiences.

BTW. I never said I have confidence that the subject would be freely discussed on Trailplace. I've expressed my views on Trailplace and Wingfoot several times on this and other lists. I don't want to rehash them again. But never have I even hinted that free discussion is always encouraged. I don't have a clue about Wingfoot's feelings about the relative merit of the two places. I do think that those who have complaints should complain directly to Trailplace, not through a third person with no first hand information.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2004, 15:00
Weary--

It does not surprise me in the slightest that the relative merits or NON-merits of these places haven't been discussed or debated there. That is exactly my point. You will NEVER see this matter fairly debated there, as the administration of that site has clearly made up its mind where it stands on the matter, and that stand is to ignore the half-decade of complaints and problems that are universally known to anyone who has hiked since 1998.

As I commented above, I hope this year proves to be different.

I am now going to do as Miss Janet requested, and let this matter go. I trust people with sound judgment can decide on their own what to do when they arrive in Erwin.

ayce420
12-04-2007, 11:34
Why anyone would choose this place over the genuine warmth, friendliness, hospitality, and limitless kindness of Miss Janet's Place is an utter mystery to me. The overwhelming majority of the Class of 2002 made the deliberate decision NOT to stay here, for numerous reasons. I suggest the Class of 2003 take this into consideration when they plan their trips. Details available upon request, but really, all one need do is talk to anyone who hiked this year. If you don't go to Janet's, then stay at a motel; you'll be happier, you'll be treated better, and you'll still have your wallet when you leave.
JT is a self assigned guru of the trail? I think not! Take your personal feelings somewhere else! Get a life!

ARambler
12-04-2007, 12:01
JT is a self assigned guru of the trail? I think not! Take your personal feelings somewhere else! Get a life!

"Get a life"? You use your first post to bring up a 4 year old thread? Did yoru old name get kicked off the site or did you just forget your password after 3+ years in jail?

I heard nothing bad about UJ on the trail this year and very few real hikers care about 4 year old WB threads.

I enjoyed 2 nights at UJ's. Only spent more time at the Cabin and the AT Lodge. I did a slack to Sam's gap. Even in the tail of sobo season, he was pretty full of hikers spending multiple nights. It would be great to get another hostel in Erwin.
Rambler

Lilred
12-04-2007, 12:40

OK who are you? Your first post and you bring up reeeealllly old news in order to slam Jack?? It is quite obvious, to even the newest member of this site, that you are the one that needs to get a life. Unbelievable that someone would bump an old thread just to slam someone. Grow up.

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2007, 12:44
OK who are you? Your first post and you bring up reeeealllly old news in order to slam Jack?? It is quite obvious, to even the newest member of this site, that you are the one that needs to get a life. Unbelievable that someone would bump an old thread just to slam someone. Grow up.

I don't know, I really like ACYE420's user name. Maybe next time I'll create a cool one like "Cyberhikerpacksniffin'instigator"

Hooch
12-04-2007, 12:48
Lil' Red is right, as a fairly new member of WB, I find it pretty childish that someone would dig up a nearly 4 year old post and slam a very respected and reputable member of the AT community on their first post. You've got some nerve, man. That was just childish as best.

Oh, by the way, welcome to WhiteBlaze. :welcome

ayce420
If your so concerned about "digging up bones" Why don't you complain to the the guy who runs this website as he has left the old posts listed in order to side with JT and MJ.

Sly
I don't know, I really like ACYE420's user name.

Yeah but it's like putting the cart before the horse.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 12:54
If your so concerned about "digging up bones" Why don't you complain to the the guy who runs this website as he has left the old posts listed in order to side with JT and MJ.
Since you are new here I can assure you that you have absolutely no idea how dumb that just made you sound. There isn't "the guy that runs the website", and other things about this issue and why those guys leave stuff like this up would be apparent if you spent any time around here. One of "those guys" wants UJ back in the guides BTW.

Good try though.

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2007, 12:58
Yeah but it's like putting the cart before the horse.

...or maybe it's the homerun champion before the steroids. You pick.

Hooch
12-04-2007, 13:01
Since you are new here I can assure you that you have absolutely no idea how dumb that just made you sound. There isn't "the guy that runs the website", and other things about this issue and why those guys leave stuff like this up would be apparent if you spent any time around here. One of "those guys" wants UJ back in the guides BTW.

Good try though. Thanks for setting him straight, Rock. That is all a very long and compicated subject that not a whole lot of people truly understand in its entirety. I know I sure don't Gotta love the "gentle counseling" that comes from the First Sergeant. :D

neo
12-04-2007, 13:17
Lil' Red is right, as a fairly new member of WB, I find it pretty childish that someone would dig up a nearly 4 year old post and slam a very respected and reputable member of the AT community on their first post. You've got some nerve, man. That was just childish as best.

Oh, by the way, welcome to WhiteBlaze. :welcome

:D sounds like another troll to me:cool: neo

neo
12-04-2007, 13:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2280#post2280)

:D troll alert:cool: neo

Lugnut
12-04-2007, 13:19

What an airhead! This horse has been dead for ages. If you will be patient I'm sure you will have many opportunities to disagree with Jack. You seem very opinionated and so is Jack. He will eat you alive. :banana

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 13:26
This just looks like a bad case of "didn't notice the date on the posts". The fact that the first two responders attacked him over it didn't help. Can we just chill and let this dog get back to sleep?

Lone Wolf
12-04-2007, 13:28
who, what and where is uncle johnny's? :-?

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 13:31
You may have done more harm than good with bringing up this thread AYCE. Posting a new link to UJ website and saying good things about him would have done more good. You did the first half, but by dredging up a thread about a fight from years ago, you start getting people to "take sides" on an issue there shouldn't even be sides on.

You could have done a lot better for UJ by not bringing up a thread from the way back and even better by not start it off by starting a flame fight with someone on here that a lot of people like and respect. Now you are just getting more bad will getting started and at the same time being associated with UJs. So either you didnt think that through, or you did and this is exactly what you wanted.

neo
12-04-2007, 13:31
who, what and where is uncle johnny's? :-?

:D how is hillary these days lw:cool: neo

ayce420
12-04-2007, 13:52
You may have done more harm than good with bringing up this thread AYCE. Posting a new link to UJ website and saying good things about him would have done more good. You did the first half, but by dredging up a thread about a fight from years ago, you start getting people to "take sides" on an issue there shouldn't even be sides on.

You could have done a lot better for UJ by not bringing up a thread from the way back and even better by not start it off by starting a flame fight with someone on here that a lot of people like and respect. Now you are just getting more bad will getting started and at the same time being associated with UJs. So either you didnt think that through, or you did and this is exactly what you wanted.
Hey Rock, I was only speaking of JT. You all are still talking about UJ

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 13:57
Hey Rock, I was only speaking of JT. You all are still talking about UJ

There's plenty of current threads here to jump into if all you want to do is argue with Jack. People are talking about UJ because that's this thread's topic.

Rock, it might be a good idea to sweep the recent posts out of this thread and close it.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 13:59
I'm talking about both issues. I've noticed you have posted a new link in the links section to UJ new website so I assume you are a friend or work with him - especially since your IP resolves to Johnson City which is most likely where the ISP for Erwin resides. I've also noticed you have posted that on other sites besides WhiteBlaze.

On the other end JT is liked by many members here and his arguments against this are really out of date. This thread was dead over 3 years ago and now you have dredged it up. This sort of creates an issue where people are going to take sides and only stirs up negative emotions around UJ and his place - doesn't do it a lot of good.

TOW
12-04-2007, 14:36
AYCE could very well be Johnny himself? Wasn't there an AYCE that hiked the trail this year?

Just a Hiker
12-04-2007, 14:50
Talk about Old News?!:rolleyes: AYCE.........you are preaching to Choir because this battle has already been fought.

Just Jim

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 17:04
This thread needs a stale popcorn smiley

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 17:07
This thread needs a stale popcorn smiley

How about a lock?

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2007, 17:08
I say we discuss what user names we'd all create to replace our old-and-busted current names. Not necessarily for trolling and such...I'd pick "hikeradonis". Yep, I think that just about sums it up.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 17:09
Rock was participating recently and he is a site owner - it's an admin call. I'm just a moderator.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 17:10
Rock was participating recently and he is a site owner - it's an admin call. I'm just a moderator.

Dino is so modest. Tin Man wraps some tin around She-Dino. :D

Just a Hiker
12-04-2007, 17:12
I say we discuss what user names we'd all create to replace our old-and-busted current names. Not necessarily for trolling and such...I'd pick "hikeradonis". Yep, I think that just about sums it up.
I would change mine to "Bad Santa" :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-04-2007, 17:18
I say we discuss what user names we'd all create to replace our old-and-busted current names. Not necessarily for trolling and such...I'd pick "hikeradonis". Yep, I think that just about sums it up.Well, I was going to go with Babeasaurous, but someone already gave that one to StarLyte..... and Pack Sniffer is taken.... old fart is taken.... any suggestions (boy, am I gonna regret asking :D)

Dino is so modest. Tin Man wraps some tin around She-Dino. :D::: Dino is so touched she blinks back tears :::

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 17:20
Yes, this one probably needs a lock since it is older than some of our posters.