PDA

View Full Version : I'm poor - how inexpensively can I thru-hike?

Neurosis
02-29-2008, 14:44
I have all the gear I need and Im not a very hard man to please and only plan on going into town or paying for a hostel if I absolutly need a shower or a change of clothes. Taking this into consideration how much (roughly) would you think a thru-hike cost. Keeping in mind that I would stay in town and eat in resturaunts very scarcely. Im poor, and want to try and do this with as little money spent as possible.

DesertMTB
02-29-2008, 14:45
$2,500, Imo

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 14:48
I've seen someone go bout 500 miles starting with only a full food bag and some dvd's to sell. He did beg for money to do it but I was impressed.
If I were you I'd get as much as you can and just go until you're broke. I've done that the past 4 years, I'm up to the mason Dixon state park, Actualy haven't stepped into the north but I did pee on it.

jesse
02-29-2008, 14:53
begging...........not cool

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 14:57
Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Mags
02-29-2008, 14:58
Start with this article by Weather Carrot:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

mcstick
02-29-2008, 15:01
Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

that begging is not cool is a matter of fact, not one of opinion.

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 15:03

Youre on the wrong site if you think thats going to happen!!

Lone Wolf
02-29-2008, 15:04

i agree

Neurosis
02-29-2008, 15:04
Thanks Mag, thats exactly what Im looking for. I surprised I didnt notice the article before, oh well. Thanks again!

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 15:07
If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal??? I know it may not be fair to us working folk, but is it fair that Paris Hilton is a multi millionaire?

Neurosis
02-29-2008, 15:12

Everybody hikes the AT there own way, right? Or so I've been told. So as long as the trail still goes from Georgia to Maine and im still given the freedom to hike it the way Id like to, I dont see a need to argue, that was his choice, not yours.

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 15:12
I have all the gear I need and Im not a very hard man to please and only plan on going into town or paying for a hostel if I absolutly need a shower or a change of clothes. Taking this into consideration how much (roughly) would you think a thru-hike cost. Keeping in mind that I would stay in town and eat in resturaunts very scarcely. Im poor, and want to try and do this with as little money spent as possible.
===================================

First question I would ask you is ...do you already have all your gear and clothing ??

Second question is ...how quickly do you plan on completing the hike ?? Reason there is that fewer days on the trail = less money required.

Third question would be ...how are you getting to/from the trail and is that included in your question ??

Cutting through all the details and keeping things as simple as possible, I would tell you up front to plan on roughly $12 - 15 per day on the trail (eg the number of actual days it takes you to get from one terminus to the other).

You will not spend $15 every day ...however, allowing for the ocassional town stop, restuarant meal, motel (for showering), laundry and food re-supply that will come close to your average.

So ...if it takes you 6 months (180 days) to get from Springer to Katahdin (presuming a northbound hike) you can expect to spend between $2,160 and $2,700. Those figures are "bare bones" though and do not take into consideration any need to replace clothing or gear and only allow for minimal town stops.

Understand your financial status but I would suggest if at all possible that you postpone your hike, save more money and allow closer to $3,500 for the trek.

'Slogger

mcstick
02-29-2008, 15:16
If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal??? I know it may not be fair to us working folk, but is it fair that Paris Hilton is a multi millionaire?
You miss the point. To start the trail with just a food bag and some DVDs to sell is not only uncool, but also foolish and irresponsible. There is nothing impressive about someone who takes what amounts to a 500 mile vacation on somebody else's dime.

thestin
02-29-2008, 15:16
Walking the trail is a choice, not a necessity. If you can't feed yourself while walking the trail, then you've probably made a bad choice.

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 15:19
Everybody hikes the AT there own way, right? Or so I've been told. So as long as the trail still goes from Georgia to Maine and im still given the freedom to hike it the way Id like to, I dont see a need to argue, that was his choice, not yours.
What he said.

You miss the point. To start the trail with just a food bag and some DVDs to sell is not only uncool, but also foolish and irresponsible. There is nothing impressive about someone who takes what amounts to a 500 mile vacation on somebody else's dime.
He didn't steal, but seeing as we disagree I won't argue I respect your OPINION as you should respect others' opinions, capeesh?

Blissful
02-29-2008, 15:24
One can always work and save up the money to do the hike.

The trail isn't going anywhere.

Spcshiznit
02-29-2008, 15:31
Walking the trail is a choice, not a necessity. If you can't feed yourself while walking the trail, then you've probably made a bad choice. .....

+1

mcstick
02-29-2008, 15:41
What he said.

He didn't steal, but seeing as we disagree I won't argue I respect your OPINION as you should respect others' opinions, capeesh?

I do not and cannot respect an opinion that holds that it is acceptable to hit the trail with no money and simply beg your way north.

ScottP
02-29-2008, 15:50
Begging is bad for the trail community. If you aren't willing to work hard over the winter to save up money, you shouldn't expect to be able to take a 6 month vacation over the summer.

Someone could probably hike hundreds of miles by robbing others. We are all entitled to do whatever we can to discourage such behavior. An able-bodied person begging for money is just as despicable as theft. If you need to beg, you should be begging for work. Seriously. Work, and do a southbound hike. You have 3-4 months to save up a few thousand dollars.

TOW
02-29-2008, 15:57
I hit the trail in 2000 with right around $400.00 and I never wanted for too much. I lived on and off of the trail for about three years. I worked some and sometimes people insisted on helping me out, I didn't have to beg.

That being said, I plan on hiking again soon and taking tater peelers with me to finance the hike. In fact these peelers just financed my trip back to Kansas and then back home.

So I'm saying that you can do just about whatever you set yourself to do but always remember,you can plan the plan but you can never plan the result........

Just go and hike, and if your a pure person people will notice and help you find work and your most basic needs will be met. Besides it is quite a bit more adventerous to stop and work along the way, plenty have done the entire trail this way.

overmywaders
02-29-2008, 16:04
There is nothing immoral, fattening, or illegal about "working" your way up the trail. For example, back in the '60s I spent four years on the road. When I woke up each morning I would decide which direction to head and whether I needed to stop for a few days, work at a temp job and fatten up. I met thousands of wonderful people and learned something from every one. I hope I gave more than I received.

It isn't the sixties, but if you were to head out tomorrow with, as you say, all the necessary gear, a song in your heart, good will toward man, a willingness to do some hard work, and all your savings... it might be twice the adventure. Who knows what would happen?

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 16:05
Different strokes....

sheepdog
02-29-2008, 16:30
It takes at least 30 days to starve to death. I guess I could find a way to earn some food before then. Or at least learn how to Yogi real well.:D

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 16:35
I don't want to have to worry about panhandlers while enjoying my through. If you can't afford to do it maybe you should work for a while and save the money to be able to do it properly and not be a burden to other hikers. I'm a very free spirit and am not trying to be mean but to me that's just common sense.:D

Hooch
02-29-2008, 16:49
One can always work and save up the money to do the hike.

The trail isn't going anywhere.Amen. What ever happened to working hard and saving money for something you want to do? :eek: I know the idea sounds crazy in this day and age of instant gratification, but it does still work. There are plenty of people who still do it. :D

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 16:50
Isn't yogiing esentialy begging, just a little more backhanded, and less honest?

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 16:52
Yeah, I worked my ass off for my hike this year. I'm just saying that can hike like this. I wouldn't be comfortable, I'd work my way down the trail if I had no $ but not hiking is not an option for me.

gungho
02-29-2008, 17:01
Amen. What ever happened to working hard and saving money for something you want to do? :eek: I know the idea sounds crazy in this day and age of instant gratification, but it does still work. There are plenty of people who still do it. :D

Can I have a Hallelujah:)You can hike your own hike,but you also need to fund your own hike:-?

jesse
02-29-2008, 17:02

you should take your own advise

Hooch
02-29-2008, 17:08
Can I have a Hallelujah:)You can hike your own hike,but you also need to fund your own hike:-?No kidding! There is no shame in hard work, folks. I bust my butt at my job and if someone wants to hike the trail, then let them do the same. Begging on the trail is irresponsible at best, reprehensible at worst. That would be like me going to work in my shorts and begging for scrubs and a stethoscope and expecting someone else to buy my lunch. Just not cool and in some places, it's illegal. I'm not sure if any of those places are along the trail or not, but begging or "panhandling" is acutaly against the law in a lot of places. I know there are those out there who disagree with me, and that's fine. But that's my opinion and it is not subject to change. :D

gungho
02-29-2008, 17:18
And that's all I going to say about that.:D

Frosty
02-29-2008, 17:21
Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.Pot? Meet Kettle.

If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal???Re-supply by stealing in trail towns?

I recommend you try it today. You'll be fed by the state for the next 30 days, free of charge.

Hooch
02-29-2008, 17:27
Re-supply by stealing in trail towns?

I recommend you try it today. You'll be fed by the state for the next 30 days, free of charge.Bet they'll even throw in a matching set of nickel plated bracelets to go with it. :banana

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 17:29
Meh......nobody's perfect, ehhh?

Hooch
02-29-2008, 17:34
Meh......nobody's perfect, ehhh?There are a lot better ways out there to be imperfect than being a dirtbag, beggar or thief. My bottom line is that if someone wants to hike the trail, go out there prepared. Not having a way to fund the trip is irresponsible as not taking a sleeping bag, shelter or cold weather gear. If you want to hike the trail, work hard, save your money and go when you have enough to fund your trip. There's a word for people who expect others to take care of them when they can do it themselves: bum.

Appalachian Tater
02-29-2008, 17:46
In my opinion, the best way to thru-hike while earning your way is by preaching at the shelters every night and then taking up a collection. Not only will you finance your hike, you will be helping your fellow hikers with their spiritual needs. You could also pass out small copies of the New Testament and that would probably double the contributions you would receive.

weary
02-29-2008, 17:52
Most thru hikers beg. Just ask any hostel owner. It's why we are all -- well most of us -- in favor of trail magic.

Weary

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-29-2008, 17:55
::: Dino peeks over trifocals and reminds everyone that encouraging illegal activities violates the TOS :::

Stealing is illegal everywhere. Panhandling is illegal in many places. Working is legal everywhere. Preaching is legal, but likely will not be welcomed by all and should not be encouraged as it will impinge on others' enjoyment of their hikes in the same way music, using cell phones, talking after dark, etc. can disturb others.

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 17:56
Working is legal everywhere.

Not all work is legal, just ask any hooker.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-29-2008, 17:57
Good points, Cuffs - most work is legal.

doggiebag
02-29-2008, 17:58
In my opinion, the best way to thru-hike while earning your way is by preaching at the shelters every night and then taking up a collection. Not only will you finance your hike, you will be helping your fellow hikers with their spiritual needs. You could also pass out small copies of the New Testament and that would probably double the contributions you would receive.
I've heard that there are plenty of karaoke contests in trail towns that you can also compete in as well. It reminds me of the time Chuck Norris was hitting his rough patch ...
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/nateisstrait58/chuck%20norris/chuck_norris-1.jpg

weary
02-29-2008, 17:59
Most thru hikers beg. Just ask any hostel owner. It's why we are all -- well most of us -- in favor of trail magic. It allows us to get stuff for free without asking.

We don't call it begging, of course. Being bright, middleclass, educated people, we don't beg openly. We just subtlely promote a trail culture that convinces people to give us stuff when we are on a six month vacation.

Weary

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 18:04
Most of these folks would rather preach right here on white blaze that way they don't have to do any hiking. I never advocated stealing. I never advocated pannhandling. I just said it happens. I didn't do it personaly. Exept that time i asked a pack of overnighting campers, "got any steak?"

STEVEM
02-29-2008, 18:23

You indicate that you're planning to hike in 2009. I see no reason why you couldn't save enough in the next year to finance your hike. You need to save $8.00/day starting now. You're 20 years old and must/should have a job that will allow you to save some money.

Darryl G
02-29-2008, 18:35
One thing to keep in mind...at least for me...it costs less to backpack then not to. You still gotta eat no matter what, but hopefully you won't be paying rent, cable, phone, electric bills and all that stuff. I know this doesn't apply to the older folks with a mortgage and all that, but if you're a college student it may. When I hiked the trail I vacated my apartment, parked the car at my parent's house and cancelled the insurance and all that stuff. So the only living expenses I had were those for the trail. And there's not a lotta places to spent money in the woods either, so that cuts down on the out-of-pocket non-essential spending. My girl friend didn't come along either, so that drastically cut my expenses, lol.

Sly
02-29-2008, 19:00
Yeah, just what the trail needs is a bunch of beggars! :rolleyes: If you can't afford to be out there, get a job!

Sly
02-29-2008, 19:04

You know any? :)

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 19:04
Not personally, but I locked up a few when I did the guvment job!

Cuffs
02-29-2008, 19:05
But I got to pretend to be one once, locked up a few of the johns for that!

Blissful
02-29-2008, 19:17
Most thru hikers beg. Just ask any hostel owner. It's why we are all -- well most of us -- in favor of trail magic. It allows us to get stuff for free without asking.

We don't call it begging, of course. Being bright, middleclass, educated people, we don't beg openly. We just subtlely promote a trail culture that convinces people to give us stuff when we are on a six month vacation.

Weary

If people out of the goodness of their hearts and for the enjoyment it brings want to set up a table with food because they want to feed hikers, how is that begging on the part of hikers? Hikers are the ones incriminated as being the ones promoting this behavior because we happen to partake of the food and enjoy it in return? I didn't ask them to set up the food. I didn't say - put the sodas in the stream, pretty please. It was there. (and I enjoyed it and thanked those very much for providing it, when they were around, that is. But I guess I could have walked on by the food with my nose in the air say - I AM NOT going to give in, for I will NOT promote the illusion of begging)

Now on our hike we did have to ask help from others. A couple times for rides because of a broken pack, a resupply run, a sickness, an injury. I guess then we need to take this all a step further and say hitchhiking must also be construed as begging and is definitely a culture promoted by hikers.

As far as the AT a vacation (bugs me every time someone says it's a vacation) - I ask anyone to do a random poll (since everything is polls these days) of the general population and find out if hiking the entire AT constitutes a vacation. Make sure too to tell them the reality of it and not rosy it up - like the bugs, the cold, the mud, the heat, the storms, the injury, the pain, the desire to quit, not to mention the terrain. No way did our city newspaper editor (who used to be in special forces) interview us because we had gone on vacation. If that were so, I should've been interviewed for going to Italy three years ago. Or maybe they would run a special feature for us renting a beach house this summer. No, he did it for the sheer impression it made of a mom and son completing the trail and what a monumental - uh, TASK that was.

Appalachian Tater
02-29-2008, 19:20
Prostitution is legal in many parts of Nevada.

jersey joe
02-29-2008, 19:20
Neurosis, If you stay out of towns and stick to the trail you will only need to buy food. You can do this for under $1000 if you are diciplined enough. Save up some money and go. The trail doesn't care if you are poor. The towns do.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-29-2008, 19:26
Prostitution is legal in many parts of Nevada.But the AT doesn't go thru Nevada {yet :D}

weary
02-29-2008, 19:30
To a large extent, it depends on how much you are willing to carry and how willing you are to learn to switch to and cook generic foods, and avoid convenience foods.

Eating the basics plus salt, pepper, sugar, and a few flavorings can be done cheaply. Instant oatmeal costs around $4 -$5 a pound. Quick cooking oatmeal can be had for half that -- or less.

Pasta costs $4 a pound or more when labeled Lipton Sides in trail stores. Identical generic noodles and pasta are available to sharp shoppers for as little as 33 cents a pound. Add a 20 cent bouillon cube and a penny's worth of salt, pepper and spice and the end product is identical.

Anyway. You'll need at least two pounds of food a day to sustain a thru hike. You can buy those calories for 2-3 bucks -- or for many times that amount.

WEary

Sly
02-29-2008, 19:37
But I got to pretend to be one once, locked up a few of the johns for that!

Really? Have any pictures? I bet you looked great! :) Did you wear those boots? :D

Hooch
02-29-2008, 19:39
Really? Have any pictures? I bet you looked great! :) Did you wear those boots? :DI knew it! Sly's just a dirty old man lookin' for hiker chicks. :rolleyes::eek: Gotta love ya, Sly! Pass the pics on if she sends you any. :D

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 19:41
That's a good point. I should have thought of that many years ago.

One thing to keep in mind...at least for me...it costs less to backpack then not to. You still gotta eat no matter what, but hopefully you won't be paying rent, cable, phone, electric bills and all that stuff. I know this doesn't apply to the older folks with a mortgage and all that, but if you're a college student it may. When I hiked the trail I vacated my apartment, parked the car at my parent's house and cancelled the insurance and all that stuff. So the only living expenses I had were those for the trail. And there's not a lotta places to spent money in the woods either, so that cuts down on the out-of-pocket non-essential spending. My girl friend didn't come along either, so that drastically cut my expenses, lol.

Appalachian Tater
02-29-2008, 19:41
But the AT doesn't go thru Nevada {yet :D}Prostitution is legal in Canada and the A.T. goes up through there after it leaves Maine.

Sly
02-29-2008, 19:44
Pass the pics on if she sends you any. :D

Not a chance! :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-29-2008, 19:49
As the resident photoshop wizard, I must insist on having any pics that may surface :D

Hooch
02-29-2008, 19:50
As the resident photoshop wizard, I must insist on having any pics that may surface :DI'd say you could create any pics that don't exist, too. :eek:

weary
02-29-2008, 20:27
If people out of the goodness of their hearts and for the enjoyment it brings want to set up a table with food because they want to feed hikers, how is that begging on the part of hikers? ....
As far as the AT a vacation (bugs me every time someone says it's a vacation) - I ask anyone to do a random poll (since everything is polls these days) of the general population and find out if hiking the entire AT constitutes a vacation. Make sure too to tell them the reality of it and not rosy it up - like the bugs, the cold, the mud, the heat, the storms, the injury, the pain, the desire to quit, not to mention the terrain. No way did our city newspaper editor (who used to be in special forces) interview us because we had gone on vacation. If that were so, I should've been interviewed for going to Italy three years ago. Or maybe they would run a special feature for us renting a beach house this summer. No, he did it for the sheer impression it made of a mom and son completing the trail and what a monumental - uh, TASK that was.
I love White Blaze. It is so amusing. If any poll of White Blaze even remotely suggested that thru hikers didn't welcome support from people who the very thought of a six month vacation was fantasyland, I might agree.

As for a "vacation." All of us have our reasons for walking 2,000 miles. My excuse is that I was loving every minute of the walk.

I certainly realize that many do the walk for obscure and mostly irrational reasons. They seek to be in misery for six months. I can't address them. Some weirdness can't be explained.

But I'll accept as a given that the trail is difficult. A few will applaud the trail's challenges, and we should. But the idea that rational hikers think the trail is only a matter of meeting physical challenges is foolish.

If you don't find hiking enjoyable, for god's sake do something different.

Weary

rickb
02-29-2008, 20:30
"My excuse is that I was loving every minute of the walk"

Fading memories are a wonderful thing!

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 20:33

i agree

Yup . . . .

fiddlehead
02-29-2008, 20:51

Please tell me your kidding!

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 20:55

Trail name - Gideon

Hooch
02-29-2008, 20:56
Trail name - GideonBingo! Well done. :clap

Boudin
02-29-2008, 21:05
To yogi is not to beg. I can't believe anyone would think that it is. If you have to ask for something then you are not yogiing. People will give you things because they are fascinated with your adventure. They envy your freedom and courage. To yogi properly, these people must be repaid. Not with money. They don't want your money. They want to experience the trip of lifetime through you. These people must be paid with trail stories about your adventure and as you get farther up the trail send them a post card or a letter with a picture. Drop them an email or mention them in your journal on trail journals. The sodas, or candy, or food, or rides, whiskey and beer, or even hotel rooms people are happy to provide. But don't ask for it and always repay it many times over with your stories and thanks.

That's not begging. Begging doesn't belong on the trail.

sheepdog
02-29-2008, 21:18
To yogi is not to beg. I can't believe anyone would think that it is. If you have to ask for something then you are not yogiing. People will give you things because they are fascinated with your adventure. They envy your freedom and courage. To yogi properly, these people must be repaid. Not with money. They don't want your money. They want to experience the trip of lifetime through you. These people must be paid with trail stories about your adventure and as you get farther up the trail send them a post card or a letter with a picture. Drop them an email or mention them in your journal on trail journals. The sodas, or candy, or food, or rides, whiskey and beer, or even hotel rooms people are happy to provide. But don't ask for it and always repay it many times over with your stories and thanks.

Well Said.:sun

gungho
02-29-2008, 21:59

well said:-? ,I suppose a few people could pull it off

Frosty
02-29-2008, 22:13
In my opinion, the best way to thru-hike while earning your way is by preaching at the shelters every night and then taking up a collection. Not only will you finance your hike, you will be helping your fellow hikers with their spiritual needs. You could also pass out small copies of the New Testament and that would probably double the contributions you would receive.What a hypocrit!

If WD suggested panhandling, you would be going beserk right now, claiming righteously that this destroys the trail, blah blah blah.

Kind of shows that it isn't the behavior that bothers you, you just have a personal vendetta.

Hypocrit.

Frosty
02-29-2008, 22:15
To yogi is not to beg. I can't believe anyone would think that it is. If you have to ask for something then you are not yogiing. People will give you things because they are fascinated with your adventure. They envy your freedom and courage. To yogi properly, these people must be repaid. Not with money. They don't want your money. They want to experience the trip of lifetime through you. These people must be paid with trail stories about your adventure and as you get farther up the trail send them a post card or a letter with a picture. Drop them an email or mention them in your journal on trail journals. The sodas, or candy, or food, or rides, whiskey and beer, or even hotel rooms people are happy to provide. But don't ask for it and always repay it many times over with your stories and thanks.There is a centuries old tradition of travels telling stories for their supper.

You are correct. This is not begging.

Ron Haven
02-29-2008, 22:36
Not all work is legal, just ask any hooker.Cuffs,what is so bad about it is they work their tale end off :D

Darryl G
02-29-2008, 22:44
You could always only roots, grubs and berries....that should keep costs down :)

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2008, 23:00
I have all the gear I need and I'm not a very hard man to please and only plan on going into town or paying for a hostel if I absolutely need a shower or a change of clothes. Taking this into consideration how much (roughly) would you think a thru-hike cost. Keeping in mind that I would stay in town and eat in restaurants very scarcely. I'm poor, and want to try and do this with as little money spent as possible.

good luck

Skidsteer
02-29-2008, 23:19
I have thought long and hard about this because I held off for two days in a good answer, In this case it is not wise to answer your question.

but i am not sheisty, Your answer is this - Many have come down the trail before you, There have been others that have suceeded. It would be unwise to follow in their footsteps. You will need to do the quest of the AT with some Penance and do not steal. Deep within the AT is quest in facing to do better than those that went before you. Store what little denaro that you have for the quest and look forward to better times. Face the trails and tribulations that lay before you.

O.P. never asked about begging or stealing to fund his hike. He asked how much it would cost.

Other folk brought up the subject of theft and begging.

ed bell
03-01-2008, 00:02
What a hypocrit!

If WD suggested panhandling, you would be going beserk right now, claiming righteously that this destroys the trail, blah blah blah.

Kind of shows that it isn't the behavior that bothers you, you just have a personal vendetta.

Hypocrit.
Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O.

ed bell
03-01-2008, 00:06
What a hypocrit!

Hypocrit.
Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O. Sorta like asking about the best firearm for protection on the AT, or participating in the illegal alien thread without voicing a real opinion about a remedy or keeping the status quo. That's all you get.:)

rafe
03-01-2008, 00:09
There is a centuries old tradition of travels telling stories for their supper.

You are correct. This is not begging.
The story teller makes no choice, soon you will not hear his voice
His job is to shed light, and not to master

Since the end is never told we paid the teller off in gold
In hopes he will come back, but he cannot be bought or sold

- Robert Hunter, Lady with a Fan

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2008, 00:15
O.P. never asked about begging or stealing to fund his hike. He asked how much it would cost.

Other folk brought up the subject of theft and begging.

Yea you are right and someone gave him a good answer $2500+

The only folk I have heard about it that did it cheaper, did it later, in a small box with a set of cool bars. I don't for a minute think that's him. I just find it very tough without some sort of financial back up plan... Hey

You know sometimes I come back and read what I wrote and I get tough on myself as he didn't say how poor... He probably is more weathy in spirit than I am...I appologise. Just do your best, nobody can argue with that.

I am starting to sound like LW..OOOOH NOOOOO.

slow
03-01-2008, 01:14
Just help in any way and move on....you will sleep better knowing you gave.

stranger
03-01-2008, 03:55
I agree the Weathercarrot article is a good read, and I've hiked with carrot before and he is quite good at stretching the dollars.

I will be on the trail this year and money will not be a problem for me, I will be very generous with my money towards those with less, but the second someone expects it or starts to mooch - I won't lend a dollar to that hiker anymore.

But I understand poverty more than most people, and if you truly are poor, you are already quite adaptable and resilant, and if you can scrap up $1500 you can probably do it mate.

kayak karl
03-01-2008, 07:21

As far as the AT a vacation (bugs me every time someone says it's a vacation) - I ask anyone to do a random poll (since everything is polls these days) of the general population and find out if hiking the entire AT constitutes a vacation..

[Middle English vacacioun, from Old French vacation, from Latin vachttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.giftihttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gif, vachttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.giftihttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifn-, FREEDOM FROM OCCUPATION, from vachttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.giftus, past participle of vachttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifre, to be empty, at leisure; see euhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif- in Indo-European roots.]

:bananaI'm going on vacation:banana

Neurosis
03-01-2008, 08:35
Thank you for the 3% of you that actually helped with my question, it was all very helpful. As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 million people that hike parts of the AT every year. Unless this statistic jumps drasticaly, im afriad I just cant find it in myself to care about what this man did.

Dont steal, dont beg, dont pee in a stream, dont feed animals... etc etc

The list goes on and on, and the reality behind it, is that PEOPLE STILL DO IT

And unfrotunatly, theres little we can do to stop it.

I just want to hike.

Jason of the Woods
03-01-2008, 09:04
Dude. I think that you are missing the point. No one is telling you not to hike. We are just saying that now might not be the best time to thru hike. When I was your age I was in no position to thru hike so I didn't. I suggest that you hike. Hell, hike alot. Do w/e trips or a week here and there. Get a decent job, or go to school. Save your money and get yourself the proper gear and then revisit the issue. There are plenty of good overnight hiking trails besides the AT. It's not going anywhere. Just take care of your business and enjoy what you can resonably now. Your big hike will come. I'm still waiting for mine. Happy hiking.

Jason
Thank you for the 3% of you that actually helped with my question, it was all very helpful. As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 million people that hike parts of the AT every year. Unless this statistic jumps drasticaly, im afriad I just cant find it in myself to care about what this man did.

I just want to hike.

Sly
03-01-2008, 10:44
As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 .

I can see why they call you Neurosis. :D All that wasn't being addressed to you, it was to the poster that suggested you could beg like the other guy.:p

Neurosis
03-01-2008, 12:01
I think your missing the point, Jason. I have saved money, I have all the proper gear and I am ready to hike the AT. My only question was to get input on hiking cheap. And for sly, I know that all that was directed to the poster, but this thread was made so I could find information on cheap hiking, not to read about some random hikers choice to beg for money. And "I" was addressing the few that overlooked the irrelvant arguement and actually gave me information.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 12:13
Isn't yogiing esentialy begging, just a little more backhanded, and less honest? yogiing is an art,if you have to ask for something thats begging. even if you offer to pay. example: i'd come off the trail to a trailhead and see people in the parking lot, i'd say out loud,so they would hear me without it looking like i wanted them to hear me! i thought for sure there was a soda machine around here?, they would then offer me a soda if they had one.
:D

ed bell
03-01-2008, 12:29

I just want to hike.Here is a recent thread on a cost breakdown of a thru hike:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33417&highlight=cost
I think it includes 500$ plus in gear. Check it out.
The thing about thru hiking cheap threads is that someone always floats the begging angle. It is a bad idea.Most agree that if your wallet can't keep you going it's time to stop and re-evaluate what you are trying to accomplish. There are lots more threads on the money aspect, check them out and good luck.

weary
03-01-2008, 12:30
Hmmm. I would have sworn that he was joking.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 12:42

That's not begging. Begging doesn't belong on the trail.well said

ed bell
03-01-2008, 12:43
Hmmm. I would have sworn that he was joking.Everyone has their own method of fishing.:) He got a bite again.:D

Sly
03-01-2008, 13:18
I think your missing the point, Jason. I have saved money, I have all the proper gear and I am ready to hike the AT. My only question was to get input on hiking cheap. And for sly, I know that all that was directed to the poster, but this thread was made so I could find information on cheap hiking, not to read about some random hikers choice to beg for money. And "I" was addressing the few that overlooked the irrelvant arguement and actually gave me information.

Not to worry. Just take what was useful. Thread drift on the internet and Whiteblaze is common.

Try not to fret, if you do run out of money, just come back and finish another time.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2008, 13:43

Neuosis - I accept your point and even if you were not yogi'ing, what hasn't been accepted is that Nobo does not have many trail towns at first. You would consume too many calories hike/walk not to need food to keep your strength. I fully believe you can do it. I have met people on the trail that were true "drifter" types and they did ok, but missed meals and it affected their health and well being. I know that if you needed some cash you could do an exchange for work - but the odds are you would have to be in a trail town, and some of those towns are a little burned out on this idea.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/footG.jpg

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 13:44
Please tell me your kidding!Yes. Just because there is no "smiley" doesn't mean it's not a joke. The reverse is true as well: there can be a "smiley" and it's not a joke.

What a hypocrit!

Hypocrit.Wow, Frosty. I've never even mentioned Doyle out of the blue like you just did. And calling me a hypocrite based on something I didn't do (suggesting panhandling) as well as something else I didn't do (criticize your buddy for suggesting panhandling) based on something he hasn't done (suggesting panhandling) is absurd, like something out of The Trial. Get a life.

Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O. Sorta like asking about the best firearm for protection on the AT, or participating in the illegal alien thread without voicing a real opinion about a remedy or keeping the status quo. That's all you get.:)

I guess that was important enough for you to repeat. I don't think it's fair of you to criticize me about the restricted forums outside of them. I promise you I will give you an opinion about such matters if asked, but not here, where it is inappropriate and against the TOS of this site. But why you would think I am stingy with opinions is beyond me.

Hmmm. I would have sworn that he was joking.Thanks, Weary, you and fiddlehead are quite astute.

ed bell
03-01-2008, 14:39
I guess that was important enough for you to repeat. I don't think it's fair of you to criticize me about the restricted forums outside of them. I promise you I will give you an opinion about such matters if asked, but not here, where it is inappropriate and against the TOS of this site. But why you would think I am stingy with opinions is beyond me.I double posted somehow. I apologized about calling you out on the other thread. Bad form on my part. Peace.

kayak karl
03-01-2008, 17:19
i think you through them with the word "POOR" in your first post. if you were really PO you would sell your gear now to eat:D. the post that said 2500 as others said should do it. weathercarrots article is great also. when food shopping, go for the cans if cheaper (didnt listen to them, you got to carry pack) buy lunchmeat ends and a roll. save as much as you can, start your hike, if you run out of $, so what, finish next year. a bad day hiking is better then a good day at work.

hike safe, and have fun

kayak

Rockhound
03-02-2008, 04:07
anybody have $10 i can borrow?

fiddlehead
03-02-2008, 04:31
I remember back in 1976. The rock band i was playing in broke up. So, i was in a position to direct my life in any way i wanted.
I went and attempted a thru-hike of the AT pretty much knowing i didn't have enough money. I had $700 saved up and some gear. A friend loaned me some more gear and my girlfriend at the time decided she wanted to go along.

We made it to Delaware Water Gap on that $700 and I never, ever, thought it was a bad move on my part. Today things are a bit different with many more people on the trail, hostels that charge money, not as many free showers and places to sleep near the trail. (in or near towns) But, the point is, i got to see some hiking that I'll never forget and it was a great experience.

If you don't mind going to bed hungry, sleeping in the woods when all your friends are going to town for a beer, don't piss off the locals (or other hikers) by panhandling or begging for food, money, beers, shelter, whatever, and really really love being in the woods more than anything. then go for it.

ps. But don't you agree it would be a better experience if you DID have some more money and could join those friends when they hit a town and go out for a pizza and beer?

katagious
03-02-2008, 10:48

I think you would get more complete answers if you gave a bit more information.

For instance, as mentioned before...do you need information on the cheapest way to GET to the trail, or have you covered that already?

Are you planning to buy food along the way? Dehydrate, pack ahead and have it shipped? Or? There are cheaper and more expensive approaches to both.

Do you have health insurance?

Do you have someone at home that will be sending you items you found you needed unexcpectedly?

Will you carry cold weather gear the entire trip or ship it home half way?

Are you going to need to purchase fuel for a stove along the way?

how many days are you going to go without showering? Have you done the math to cover the cost of what your expectations are?

Do you have a back up pair of boots, filters for water purifiers(if using) etc. Ubuprofin? Benadryl? Socks?

I haven't hiked the trail, but I know what issues my sons ran into, these are a few I would suggest thinking through. Also, they had no plans to go into town and eat at restaurants..but I think the pull to do so was a lot greater then they expected...and cost them a bit more then they planned.

jersey joe
03-02-2008, 11:00
Dude. I think that you are missing the point. No one is telling you not to hike. We are just saying that now might not be the best time to thru hike.

I disagree, don't put off your thru hike attempt. Life is too short to put off your dreams. The older you get the harder it will be to leave everything behind and thru hike. If thru hiking truely is a dream of yours then put together a plan on how you can make it on the money you have and have the restraint to follow that plan!

katagious
03-02-2008, 11:01
I guess I want to add something else. Although the boys didn't have a lot of money and perhaps did not have the resources that some here would like everyone to have when they decide to hike. Although, they swear to me they didn't beg for anything. (I absolutely did not raise them that way) They did say they often asked for work in exchange for lodging, food or money. (despite my sending them food packages weekly). Despite their having to struggle financially along the way, it was the perfect time for them to go. It's changed both of their lives, made them better men. Neither are in a position any longer to be able to take an entire summer off to hike. I'm very glad..that they did not wait for the "perfect" time to go.
I know too many adults who have waited because the time wasn't right..or they didn't have the money to do something to the hilt...and ended up completely missing the opportunity to do something because of other events in their lives, be it family..or health..or other obligations..and in the end, did not get to follow their dreams because they waited.
If this is the moment that you find that you have the opportunity..then do it. If you get stuck..need a few bucks or a food package..get to a local library and message me..I'll be glad to drop something in the mail to help out. Just as so many helped my sons out. Follow your dream, while you have the opportunity.

jersey joe
03-02-2008, 11:17
Good post katagious...

JAK
03-02-2008, 11:25
I don't understand why people feel the need to try and talk 20 year olds out of attempting a thru-hike because the want to do it cheap. Doing it cheap adds to the challenge in my opinion, and might also lead to less temptation, and thus less vice and decadence. I say go for it. Don't overprepare either. A lot of businesses use Just-In-Time logistics and so can you. Be flexible, and be frugal, and don't rule out being fortunate. That means being young and healthy and taking some risks. You don't need to insure against every little thing that might go wrong. It's just a walk in the woods. Play it safe, but learn as you go. Take it one section at a time. Budget a $1 per mile or something like that. You don't need return fare. You just need enough money in the bank so that you'll have something to get started on once your done. Learn to live cheap and healthy out of grocery stores before you go, and that is also the best way to save for your trip. You also don't need a warm shower and laundromat to stay clean and healthy. Just keep yourself clean every day. It's not that hard to do once you get the hang of it and you can learn how to do that before you go also. Also be prepared to drop out if something better comes along. Its your life. Remember, freedom is both sought and feared.

jersey joe
03-02-2008, 11:36
JAK, I agree with you. I will say though that those who give the opposing view and say to wait are not totally wrong. It is valuable for someone like Neurosis to hear the varying view points and then make a decision on their own. I think the problem comes when someone who gives their opinion does so thinking it is the only way something should be done.

Jail Break
03-02-2008, 12:03
Jesus, guys. Asking for help if you NEED TO because you hit a run of bad luck or an emergency is no big deal... if it happens it happens... when and if you get the help you need, make a responsible decision to either stay, or get off the trail depending on your abilities/resources. If you need a little help to get you through a jam, anyone on the trail should be more than willing to help out a fellow hiker in need. I know I would.

What is not cool, (and this is not opinion, but fact) is to PLAN to beg your way throughout the entire trail. Fend for yourself, or at least give it your best shot. Intentionally starting a 2000+ mile trip KNOWING you CAN'T make it without handouts and charity from others is freakin' lame. What's next, a piggy-back ride? Hike your own hike, don't make others hike it for you. If you know you can't manage the trip on your own, DON'T TAKE IT. Period.

My grand total for supplies and clothing I didn't already have, food, maildrop money I left for my family, gas money for my sister to drive me to Georgia from New Jersey, hotel room for one night before I start, gas money for her to drive back to NJ, and $20 per week budget cash on trail (assuming 26 weeks = $520), came to $2300. I have a debit/credit card if that's not enough.

The only thing I plan to ask for from other hikers everyday is courtesy and kindness.

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 13:20

If a hooker decides to thru-hike, I'll bet she doesn't have any problem paying to resupply.

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:23
Begging, the world's oldest profession.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 13:24
Begging, the world's oldest profession.

and there are plenty of fools to give them $$ and stuff

dragonfeet
03-02-2008, 13:27
I say get together as much as you can and then hump it till the money runs out.

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:27
and there are plenty of fools to give them $$ and stuffI was alluding to an old joke, but yeah, I agree with you.

If we were smarter consumers and smarter givers the world wouldn't be such a mess.

fonsie
03-02-2008, 13:32

Not everyone is some jesus nutbag that wants to here everyone else preach. I dont push my religion on anyone and I expect the same. So leave your cult religions at home please.

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:43
I think he was joking. I could be wrong, but I think he was being satirical about some evangalists, because if they can do it off the trail why not on the trail. :)

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:47
If it was someone like Robert Duvall in The Apostle, I would pay. :D

JAK
03-02-2008, 13:49
How wouldn't pay for this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnUO9L-2oUE

Appalachian Tater
03-02-2008, 13:55
Yes, It Was A Joke Now I'm Screaming. I T - W A S - A - J O K E. Don't Preach In Shelters, Don't Leave Religious Materials. Don't Talk About Religion Unless The Other Person Does First And You Want To.

Can't even scream around here, automatically goes to first letter capitalization.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 13:57
religious materials in shelters hurts no one

ed bell
03-02-2008, 13:57
You caught another one.:D;)

JAK
03-02-2008, 14:00
Yes, It Was A Joke Now I'm Screaming. I T - W A S - A - J O K E. Don't Preach In Shelters, Don't Leave Religious Materials. Don't Talk About Religion Unless The Other Person Does First And You Want To.

Can't even scream around here, automatically goes to first letter capitalization.I don't disagree, but I would still rather listen to Robert Duvall preach than someone like yourself, or myself. Nothing personal. Some folks have it. Some don't.

JAK
03-02-2008, 14:02
Some old men get respect. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBjBClBSao&feature=related

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2008, 14:21
I disagree, don't put off your thru hike attempt. Life is too short to put off your dreams. The older you get the harder it will be to leave everything behind and thru hike. If thru hiking truely is a dream of yours then put together a plan on how you can make it on the money you have and have the restraint to follow that plan!i agree with joe dont put off your hike, try to borrow the funds from family and friends,beg,borrow,and steal... but not literaly steal. karma will bite you in the ass. if your up in new england and are tapped out *hit i'll send your *ss 20.00 bucks let me know.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2008, 14:24
I guess I want to add something else. Although the boys didn't have a lot of money and perhaps did not have the resources that some here would like everyone to have when they decide to hike. Although, they swear to me they didn't beg for anything. (I absolutely did not raise them that way) They did say they often asked for work in exchange for lodging, food or money. (despite my sending them food packages weekly). Despite their having to struggle financially along the way, it was the perfect time for them to go. It's changed both of their lives, made them better men. Neither are in a position any longer to be able to take an entire summer off to hike. I'm very glad..that they did not wait for the "perfect" time to go.
I know too many adults who have waited because the time wasn't right..or they didn't have the money to do something to the hilt...and ended up completely missing the opportunity to do something because of other events in their lives, be it family..or health..or other obligations..and in the end, did not get to follow their dreams because they waited.
If this is the moment that you find that you have the opportunity..then do it. If you get stuck..need a few bucks or a food package..get to a local library and message me..I'll be glad to drop something in the mail to help out. Just as so many helped my sons out. Follow your dream, while you have the opportunity.
good post,dont put off til tommorrow what you can do today. or i prefer dont put off til tommorrow,cause you might be dead.

JAK
03-02-2008, 14:35
Well, in the case of a 20 year old, maybe not dead, but perhaps married with kids and neck deep in career and/or debt. If you gotta do something like a thru-hike when you are young, get it over with. If you gotta do something like that later in life, then it makes more sense to get your affairs in order and get the timing just right. They say the only real social sin is bad timing.

Sly
03-02-2008, 15:03
I disagree, don't put off your thru hike attempt. Life is too short to put off your dreams. The older you get the harder it will be to leave everything behind and thru hike. If thru hiking truely is a dream of yours then put together a plan on how you can make it on the money you have and have the restraint to follow that plan!

Won''t it be best if he worked a little longer? An extra $1000 would go a long way..

JAK
03-02-2008, 15:27
Won''t it be best if he worked a little longer? An extra $1000 would go a long way..I would say if he has spent the last month living as frugally as he is planning to when on the hike then he is ready, and if he hasn't, then he should spend at least two weeks spending no money at all except money at grocery stores on the same sort of foods he will live on when on the trail. That should save a few more bucks, and test whether or not he has the discipline to hike frugal. Otherwise it might end up being more of a road trip than a thru-hike, not that I have anything against road trips.

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 16:01
Take a month or two to be a lab rat for university studies! They'll pay you a grand or two. Then hit the trail.

Sly
03-02-2008, 16:10
Take a month or two to be a lab rat for university studies! They'll pay you a grand or two. Then hit the trail.

I made an extra $500 selling plasma as I saved for the trail. Since I had to buy all my gear too it came in handy. Still, I moved up my starting date three weeks and that was enough for me to run out of money.

Train Wreck 2
03-02-2008, 16:24
If you aren't plush about it... you could do the trail for free. People waste enough **** during the course of a day that you can sustain yourself with it. It'll take longer to hit a town and dumpster enough food to get you to your next stop, but you'll get one hell of an adventure out of it. You don't NEED to bathe. You don't NEED to stay in a hotel room. You'll have to sacrifice some of these common niceties. The less you can rely on the dollar the better in my opinion.

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 16:35
If you think you'll feed yourself with non-perishible trail food from dumpster diving, you've got a surprise coming. Once you get past the first few days, I don't think you'll find nearly as much left behind food in the hiker boxes either.

Sorry, Train Wreck, but I think your suggestion would turn out to be a train wreck for anyone who tried it. That person would either starve or turn into a charity case scrounging food off of others. I think too many people are already setting themselves up to turn into charity cases, but just don't want to admit it.

katagious
03-02-2008, 16:39
Just think...if you plan it right..(and assuming you've had to PAY taxes this year)...you'll get a nice little gift from the Fed's in May to help you along. (Or is that considered accepting a handout?)

Sly
03-02-2008, 16:41
Just think...if you plan it right..(and assuming you've had to PAY taxes this year)...you'll get a nice little gift from the Fed's in May to help you along. (Or is that considered accepting a handout?)

How's that work. Does a form need to be filled out or will they mail me a check? Instant deposit would be nice.

Train Wreck 2
03-02-2008, 16:46
If you think you'll feed yourself with non-perishible trail food from dumpster diving, you've got a surprise coming. Once you get past the first few days, I don't think you'll find nearly as much left behind food in the hiker boxes either.

Sorry, Train Wreck, but I think your suggestion would turn out to be a train wreck for anyone who tried it. That person would either starve or turn into a charity case scrounging food off of others. I think too many people are already setting themselves up to turn into charity cases, but just don't want to admit it.

Make no mistake, I'm not claiming that my suggestion is going to be an easy task. It certainly would require more stopping. Most of us simply aren't accustomed to the amount of time and effort it would take to really WORK for your food. Stop, fatten up, keep moving. It may take years to finish the trail this way. But seriously, do you really have something better to do?

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 16:55
Stop, fatten up, keep moving. It may take years to finish the trail this way. But seriously, do you really have something better to do?

Yes?:cool:

Sly
03-02-2008, 16:55
But seriously, do you really have something better to do?

Better than dumpster dive? Yeah. :rolleyes:

weary
03-02-2008, 17:19
How's that work. Does a form need to be filled out or will they mail me a check? Instant deposit would be nice.
You have to file a tax return, even if you don't owe any taxes for last year, in order to get the $300.

jessicacomp
03-02-2008, 18:42
I think waiting another year can be very difficult. For example, I moved back home with my parents in May after college under the agreement that I would be out in March when I leave for the AT. After I come back from hiking, I am planning to buy a house, start taking grad classes and getting a solid job. I dont want to have to put all of that off for another year too. I dont have as much money as I'd like, but I have around $3,500 (after you subtract all bills I will be paying on the trail). If I run out of money, depending on how far along I am, I will use a credit card. If I am not far enough along, well, then I will have no choice but to stop. Better to do that, I think, that risk losing the chance to do it at all if you put it off.

Lady Wren
03-03-2008, 00:41
Hi Neurosis, This is my first time posting on this site...Your question inspired me to become a member and reply to your post! I just want to tell you, that where there's a will, there's a way! Don't let your lack of funds get in the way of your dream! I started my first thru-hike in 1991, after college and on a very tight budget. Back then there were many hikers in similar financial situations...young and poor!! If you are not picky, but rather are creative, kind, and willing to work for stay/barter you will find the true meaning of trail magic (and i don't mean the planned hot dogs by the side of the road kind, although that is wonderful too!). On that hike, I found food in hiker boxes, dumpster dove in places, and there's always the "hi, i'm hiking the AT and was wondering if i could buy a few slices of bread from you" introduction to the picnickers..(yogiing, some may call it begging but if you are kind and fun, it can be a good time!). The best way to save money is to stay on the trail! Instead of staying in town, plan to camp within a few miles of town, hike into town in the a.m. and do your resupplying/chores/laundry, then hike a few miles past town and camp. Plan to stay at the affordable hostels like Kincora, The Place, etc. By the way, I started from Springer on the same day (in 1991) as Weathercarrot, whose budget hiking advice is very well thought out and presented...I wish you the best of luck, please just get out there and do it! Happy Trails to all!

jersey joe
03-03-2008, 01:10
Won''t it be best if he worked a little longer? An extra $1000 would go a long way..
Sly, I can't say what is best for Neurosis. What I'm saying is that if he has enough money for food and has gear, I believe he should go now. Could he wait a year and make more money and have a more comfortable thru hike, sure, I won't argue that. But If he's got the desire and the means right now to do it on a minimal budget, then I say go now...

BR360
03-03-2008, 10:39
Neurosis, towns are expensive. Stay out of them except for essential resupply. Learn to shop frugally by buying non-convenience foods. Use an alcohol stove, or better (cheaper) a hobo-type wood-burning stove. Check out the Gear forums for discussions about this approach.

One of the reasons many hikers like to stay in hotels/hostels is to get a shower and have a rest day and take a zero.

Alternative: You can take a zero on the trail, and get clean, eat well, and rest your body. Camp near town, get fresh groceries, and feast over a campfire.

You can bathe very well near streams. Just tote all your containers of water well away from a stream (100 paces---to protect the stream from your dirty/soapy rinse water). Pour a little water on your head to get wet. It will drip/run down your body. Using camp soap which rinses away easily, shampoo. Rinse your head a little bit, but not all the way (to save water). Wet and soap a bandanna, and scrub your body. Then pour the water slowly on your head first, to rinse off. Pour the water strategically on your body to remove all the remaining soapy water. Especially rinse your private area well so it doesn't build up soap funk that can dry your skin.

If you want you can heat a pot of water and pour some of it into your half-full water bottles to have a "hot" shower. Always test the temperature of the water before pouring it one your skin, though!

You'll learn in 5 attempts to get as clean as a good hotel shower. With practice, I got to where I could do this on 2 quarts of water while canoe and sail expeditioning in the Florida Keys and Everglades.

Never bathe in a stream or pond; the soap is bad for the critters. But you could "dip/swim" in streams as you pass by to rinse the salt off, especially in the warm months.

Good hygiene reduces the chances you'll have to go to the hospital. Make sure you floss and brush your teeth at least once a day. You can use baking soda for brushing, which is cheap. It also works OK as deodorant, but you have to rinse it out of your pits.

Johnny Thunder
03-03-2008, 11:57

Sly,

According to the IRS...if you filed for 2007 they have your address and bank info already. So, if you had a check mailed (or paid taxes owed by check) they're going to mail it to you. If you had it direct deposited then they'll do that again, too. You may need to change your address for the mailed check if you are no longer living in the same place.

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2008, 13:44
I think waiting another year can be very difficult. For example, I moved back home with my parents in May after college under the agreement that I would be out in March when I leave for the AT. After I come back from hiking, I am planning to buy a house, start taking grad classes and getting a solid job. I dont want to have to put all of that off for another year too. I dont have as much money as I'd like, but I have around $3,500 (after you subtract all bills I will be paying on the trail). If I run out of money, depending on how far along I am, I will use a credit card. If I am not far enough along, well, then I will have no choice but to stop. Better to do that, I think, that risk losing the chance to do it at all if you put it off.You should definitely hike if you have $3500 and if you can do a decent job of money management, you can complete your hike without credit cards.

In life you mostly regret things you didn't do, not those you did. If you are going to make mistakes and choose badly, err slightly on the side of saying "yes" and doing things and taking risks.

Neurosis
03-03-2008, 14:26
Hi Neurosis, This is my first time posting on this site...Your question inspired me to become a member and reply to your post! I just want to tell you, that where there's a will, there's a way! Don't let your lack of funds get in the way of your dream! I started my first thru-hike in 1991, after college and on a very tight budget. Back then there were many hikers in similar financial situations...young and poor!! If you are not picky, but rather are creative, kind, and willing to work for stay/barter you will find the true meaning of trail magic (and i don't mean the planned hot dogs by the side of the road kind, although that is wonderful too!). On that hike, I found food in hiker boxes, dumpster dove in places, and there's always the "hi, i'm hiking the AT and was wondering if i could buy a few slices of bread from you" introduction to the picnickers..(yogiing, some may call it begging but if you are kind and fun, it can be a good time!). The best way to save money is to stay on the trail! Instead of staying in town, plan to camp within a few miles of town, hike into town in the a.m. and do your resupplying/chores/laundry, then hike a few miles past town and camp. Plan to stay at the affordable hostels like Kincora, The Place, etc. By the way, I started from Springer on the same day (in 1991) as Weathercarrot, whose budget hiking advice is very well thought out and presented...I wish you the best of luck, please just get out there and do it! Happy Trails to all!

Haha, Im glad I inspired you, and thanks a ton for the advice and motivation. I planned this hike to be as remote as possible, like I said in my original post, im not a very hard kid to please, I am fine with the bare essentials. It was just hard for me to judge what my kind of thru-hike would cost because everyone I talked to, or things I read about always calculated in the gear, and hostels, and resteraunt food. Im not just hiking it this way because Im poor, its because I want to, this is the way Id liked to hike it. But ive got a pretty good idea about expensives and the motivation to just try and go do it. So thanks to all for the advice! Greatly appreciated! Wish me luck!

splash1986
03-03-2008, 16:14
Personally, I think doing a hike without all the luxuries is going to be a much more rewarding experience. I'm beginning SOBO from Baxter in June, and while I believe I have sufficient funds, I'm still going to be going as cheaply as possible. My dad will be with me for the first 6 weeks or so, and he is taking care of the transportation costs and several other expenses, so that helps out a lot. But regardless, my way of thinking is that I am doing the trail to escape a lot of the everyday luxuries people take for granted, and these everyday luxuries are what tends to run up the price while on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
03-03-2008, 16:20
Personally, I think doing a hike without all the luxuries is going to be a much more rewarding experience. I'm beginning SOBO from Baxter in June, and while I believe I have sufficient funds, I'm still going to be going as cheaply as possible. My dad will be with me for the first 6 weeks or so, and he is taking care of the transportation costs and several other expenses, so that helps out a lot. But regardless, my way of thinking is that I am doing the trail to escape a lot of the everyday luxuries people take for granted, and these everyday luxuries are what tends to run up the price while on the trail.
sobo would be great for watching your funds! hike as cheap as you can as long as you can,then south of the mason dixon line the prices should be a little cheapier,more buffets, and free refills. good hiking

bfitz
03-03-2008, 17:03
50 bucks a week. If you are wicked smart about spending it. I hope you're fat because you wont be when you're done. Very few people are even capable of this, and absolutely none would have any fun hiking this way, but it's technically feasible.

splash1986
03-03-2008, 17:39
sobo would be great for watching your funds! hike as cheap as you can as long as you can,then south of the mason dixon line the prices should be a little cheapier,more buffets, and free refills. good hiking

Thanks snatcher! Its gonna be a great trip!

nightshaded
03-04-2008, 12:09
also, baking soda can be used as a foot powder!
a small baggie covers a multitude of uses.

and laundry can be done in a similar manner as bathing...just get the clothes damp then rub them vigorously with a little soap, then rinse as best as possible. again, you want to do this away from the water source, and since this takes more water than bathing, you should make sure you're near an abundant source of water (a pond of large creek). again, hygiene is important...the cleaner your body is, the less filth you'll have on the inside of your clothes. and, sure, it's labor-intensive, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a laundromat, and if you're trying to keep your spending down, it's not a bad idea.
AT hikers in general seem to be a lot more dependent on their modern conveniences than they need to be...i've done a great deal of backcountry camping and backpacking, and if you're flexible, stubborn, and creative, it's easy to get by without spending much money.

good luck...perhaps i'll see you on the trail.

bone lady

you know, people are always saying "hike your own hike," yet the social structure of the AT means that there is actually a great deal of peer pressure that one encounters (eg, friends going into town for beer trying to get you to come with them)...in these cases, if you're trying to hike cheaply, it helps if you're able to find like-minded (other poor folks ;)) folks to hike with...having someone else who's staying in the woods in the rain with you while everyone else is in a hostel drinking beer is sometimes all it takes to keep the morale up.

nightshaded
03-04-2008, 12:11
50 bucks a week. If you are wicked smart about spending it. I hope you're fat because you wont be when you're done. Very few people are even capable of this, and absolutely none would have any fun hiking this way, but it's technically feasible.

of course, you have to bear in mind that the man told me my biggest trail-expense was going to be beer! :rolleyes:

(hey, dude!)

bone lady

bfitz
03-04-2008, 15:37
of course, you have to bear in mind that the man told me my biggest trail-expense was going to be beer! :rolleyes:

(hey, dude!)

bone ladyHey bone lady. My critical input is think about why you're hiking. For me, it's all about having a good time, meeting people and seeing the sights. Living day to day while on vacation being a tourist is expensive. Little side trips and adventures in town are par for the course and for me a big part of the trip. The main reason people quit is because they're not having fun. Being wet, cold, alone and hungry while everyone else is at a hostel watching movies and drinking beers and taking showers doesn't sound like fun to me. Having the resources to pamper yourself once in a while mitigates that in a big way.

gaga
03-04-2008, 16:05
Neurosis

Fat chicks need love too you know. (but they just have to pay for it):D so here is your chance to make some $$$ and give some lovin` ! ! !
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_soundboards/Quagmire%20Soundboard.htm Under-- Phrase two. click on them in order, from top to bottom :D

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 16:09
Neurosis

Fat chicks need love too you know. (but they just have to pay for it):D so here is your chance to make some $$$ and give some lovin` ! ! !
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_soundboards/Quagmire%20Soundboard.htmUnder-- Phrase two. click on them in order, from top to bottom :D

HAHAHAHAHA, I do believe we have a winner! This should be an interesting thru-hike!

warren doyle
03-06-2008, 12:16
If I was to do a backpacking thru-hike of the AT, I could do it in 135 days at $5 a day average ($675). These are expenses from when I step off Springer until I descend Katahdin.
I could do this because of my frugality, coupled with my comfort level and knowledge of the trail.
No motels/hostels/campsite-shelter fees. Using Pennytalk for phone calls.

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 17:39
If I was to do a backpacking thru-hike of the AT, I could do it in 135 days at $5 a day average ($675). These are expenses from when I step off Springer until I descend Katahdin.
I could do this because of my frugality, coupled with my comfort level and knowledge of the trail.
No motels/hostels/campsite-shelter fees. Using Pennytalk for phone calls.http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/stupid-cat-in-chicken-costume.jpg

Lady Wren
03-13-2008, 12:32
Hi Neurosis, I wish you a wonderful hike, maybe I'll see you out there (will be hiking southbound from Hot Springs in April). Have fun!! :)

SunnyWalker
03-21-2008, 22:02
For ideas on how to save and be economical Warren Doyle has some great ideas. go to his website and/or do a search of his name on Whiteblaze.

Appalachian Tater
03-22-2008, 15:06
For ideas on how to save and be economical Warren Doyle has some great ideas. go to his website and/or do a search of his name on Whiteblaze.He hikes from road to road with van support paid for by his group.

JAK
03-22-2008, 15:22
Regardless of ever changing politics and economics, frugality and simplicity and sustainability will never cease to be virtues. There are many excellent extensions to the AT, and many many more are possible in the future. The best ones include simple and sustainable and healthy living.

Perhaps the best way to save for and prepare for a frugal hike, is frugal living.
Same the other way around. Reap what you sow.

cathy
03-23-2008, 10:57
I've known people to hike from hiker box to hiker box for their food. But I got to warn you there is a lot of oatmeal in those hiker boxes. Rule of thumb use to be 1 dollar per mile now 2 or more. It depends on your style. Me about 10 dollars a mile. :-)

warren doyle
03-24-2008, 19:50
He hikes from road to road with van support paid for by his group.

It is obvious that this is one potato that knows very little about me.

A post like the above just reinforces his place on my internegator list.

Thanks for the endorsement SunnyWalker.

zig-zag man
07-25-2017, 07:05
Start with this article by Weather Carrot:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

This link took me nowhere.

MtDoraDave
07-25-2017, 07:08

it is a 9 year old thread... but not sure when that was posted.

Don H
07-25-2017, 07:18
it is a 9 year old thread... but not sure when that was posted.

Link was posted on 2/29/08, only a little over 2 years ago.

Traveler
07-25-2017, 07:26
Thats what one Mr. R. VanWinkle said......

garlic08
07-25-2017, 08:32
This link (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/177-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike-(Hiker-Advice)) should work. It is dated but I'm glad it's still around.

Anyone heard from Weathercarrot lately?

Mags
07-25-2017, 13:11

That was posted almost a decade ago.

Since you have magical time traveling powers, please go back in time to that day, and tell my younger self to NOT chat up that person with a Central European accent.....

Slo-go'en
07-25-2017, 13:24
So, how inexpensively can I hike? Not very.

Maineiac64
07-25-2017, 16:46
I love zombie threads. There is a fine line between begging, mooching, and hoping for the kindness of others.

Don H
07-25-2017, 17:04
That was posted almost a decade ago.

Since you have magical time traveling powers, please go back in time to that day, and tell my younger self to NOT chat up that person with a Central European accent.....

Not magic, Feb. 29, leap year. Do the math.

Sarcasm the elf
07-25-2017, 17:19

And here you had us excited at the prospect of time travel. :rolleyes:

Mags
07-25-2017, 17:22

Alas, no matter what corny mathematical tricks are used, the gray in my beard tells me that was still almost a decade ago. :)

We demand our time machine...

kestral
07-25-2017, 18:02
I enter a time machine every time I go hiking. Bounding up the trail at the beginning of the hike , the energetic and athletic twenty something single....

...staggering back to car a week later, the aging and arthritic grandma.

but smiling:)

Mags
07-25-2017, 18:19
I enter a time machine every time I go hiking. Bounding up the trail at the beginning of the hike , the energetic and athletic twenty something single....

Damn. That was good.

gracebowen
07-25-2017, 18:39
Well if I ever get to thru hike ill keep good records and let yall know how cheap it can be done. Im looking at a 2020 attempt.

I promise not to beg lie or steal. I will endeavor to rely on me and mine. If it becomes unfeasable I will go home. Im not gonna tell yall my monthly budget because yall wont like it or think its wise to try. Nor will I post a complete detalied gear list till I am done.

jefals
07-26-2017, 18:44

i agree
I agree, too, in my opinion!:D

jefals
07-26-2017, 18:46
If you have no money, what are you doing at the supermarket? Working there, to earn some money, one would hope...

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2017, 19:01

but smiling:)

On a related note, I completely lost an hour and a half when I was section hiking a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days in I Woke up got ready and got going around 7:40 and told myself I'd take a quick break around 8:30 for breakfast. I immediately zoned out while walking and shortly after looked down at my watch and saw by the minute hand that it was already 8:30, which surprised me. A moment later I looked more closely and realized that it was in fact 9:30! As far as I knew I had only been on trail for a few minutes.

While I'm not superstitious, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this happened right as I was passing through Bennington, VT.

Mother Natures Son
07-26-2017, 19:06
I've heard that a few folks have Dumpers Dive for food along the trail. (Food is of course a big part of the budget for the trail.)

Venchka
07-26-2017, 20:35
I've heard that a few folks have Dumpers Dive for food along the trail. (Food is of course a big part of the budget for the trail.)

Seems to me that eating food from a hiker box is awfully close to dumpster diving.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2017, 20:38
Seems to me that eating food from a hiker box is awfully close to dumpster diving.
Wayne

I've had the food out of the dumpster behind Trader Joes. It was much better than anything I've seen in a hiker box.

TTT
07-27-2017, 05:26
If you have much and someone has little, there's virtue in giving. Having said that, I hesitate to share my toenail clippers

Sarcasm the elf
07-27-2017, 08:32
If you have much and someone has little, there's virtue in giving. Having said that, I hesitate to share my toenail clippers

I misread that as toenail clippings...

Guess it's time for a second cup of coffee.

Francis Sawyer
07-29-2017, 10:21
The O.P. asked a simple question. How cheaply can he hike. The logical answer is zero.

Traveler
07-30-2017, 07:18
I misread that as toenail clippings...

Guess it's time for a second cup of coffee.

"Pardon me, would you have any toenail clippings this morning? I am fresh out and my coffee doesn't taste right without them."

zig-zag man
07-30-2017, 11:30

I always thought "poor" was a state of mind.

gracebowen
07-30-2017, 12:51
Poor is living below or near poverty level. Poor is supporting 5 people with an income of 2600 a month.

Bansko
08-02-2017, 20:49
I wouldn't be looking to thru-hike the AT if I was poor; I'd be looking for a job.

NOT SENT FROM MY IPHONE USING TAPATALK BECAUSE I HATE STINKIN' IPHONES

MuddyWaters
08-02-2017, 21:45
If you have food, clothing, and a roof over head, yep.

Everything else is unnecessary crap.

Crap envy....dont define poor.

Another Kevin
08-03-2017, 13:05

Jesus seems to have said something of the sort:.

Μακάριοι οἱ πτωχοὶ τῷ πνεύματι, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν (NA28)
beati pauperes spiritu quoniam ipsorum est regnum caelorum (Vulg.)
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (KJV) - Matthew 5:3 (cf. Luke 6:20)

Gambit McCrae
08-03-2017, 15:11

+1

I like the fact that begging isn't cool. Cuz its not. No one heads out for a trip and thinks "man I cant wait to come across someone that puts me on the spot asking for my hard earned money I saved for my trip"

If your poor, get a job and quit worrying about trying to take a 6 month vacation!

Last Call
08-03-2017, 18:28
Have you considered starting a "Gofundme" account for your adventure? I think a lot of folks here would gladly kick in a few bucks.

Lnj
08-03-2017, 18:51
Have you considered starting a "Gofundme" account for your adventure? I think a lot of folks here would gladly kick in a few bucks.
ROTFL!!!! Excellent idea!!:clap:clap

Gambit McCrae
08-04-2017, 10:42

Bueller?...Bueller?...

DavidNH
08-04-2017, 11:33
it may be possible to thru hike on as little as 2500 dollars. I say maybe. I would very strongly suggest that you some how save up to have 4000$ or more. Allow your self the occassional hotel night even if that is rare. Allow you self good food, eating at the occassional buffet. and even hostels can cost some money. Avoid any over nights in Connecticut section..it's expensive. It is very easy to say, when sitting at home planning, that you won't need to have this or that but once on the trail food and a good bed and a shower. might be all you tink about at times.

Remember, lack of money is one of the reasons many don't finish. Also equpiment can break or otherwise need to be replaced. you almost certaintly won't finish with the same boots you started with. You also have to factor in postage of mail drops.

dudeijuststarted
08-04-2017, 12:12
Don't. Youd be doing yourself a disservice and bringing down the trail. If youre whining that youre poor now, I cant see howd youd not do it when youre cold, filthy, and starving.

Not being judgmental, just pro-AT.

Gambit McCrae
08-04-2017, 13:34
Met this gentleman last December in the highlands. "Grandpa"...He was on his third thru hike in a row. His successful budget 3 years in a row was 1000 for the whole 7 month trip.

MuddyWaters
08-04-2017, 14:13
Met this gentleman last December in the highlands. "Grandpa"...He was on his third thru hike in a row. His successful budget 3 years in a row was 1000 for the whole 7 month trip.

Is there anyone that hasnt run into grandpa?

I met him in shenandoah. He was floored that I rolled into a shelter for breakfast break and water at 9am. 9 miles done for day already...

TKE402
08-04-2017, 15:34
you can collect cans and recyclables while on the trail. Return them for the deposits. You make a little money and you clean up the trail at the same time. Everyone wins.

H I T C H
08-04-2017, 18:16

I am curious what he ate while on that budget... Anyone ask him ?

Sandy of PA
08-05-2017, 17:31
I met Grandpa in 2011, hiking thru PA. He has knowledge of many wild foods to supplement his normal hiker stuff. Mostly he has no need for town overnights, washes self and clothes along the way, pulls zeros at shelters. A very interesting person.

Elaikases
08-06-2017, 20:25
Wish the OP the best of luck, either now or in a future through hike.

I'm waiting until I retire to try a through hike myself. I'll be slow, but with full SSI and my pension benefits.

Bronk
08-07-2017, 08:36
Given that the vast majority of "thruhikers" don't make it the whole way I would encourage you to just start hiking and go until the money runs out. Odds are you will quit before that happens anyway. If you start in the spring in Georgia you could probably go from hiker box to hiker box well past Damascus without having to buy much food...if you're not picky about what you eat...you'll be getting the stuff people put in their maildrops that they decided they didn't want to eat.

This topic comes up several times a year. The reality is that lots of people say they aren't going to stay in towns and eat at restaurants but when you are cold and wet and its dark and you haven't had a shower for a week and all of your friends are going into town to sleep in a bed with sheets and have a few beers after eating a whole pizza, well, its very hard to resist the temptation. Very few people have the discipline to do it.

Elaikases
08-07-2017, 08:51
Given that the vast majority of "thruhikers" don't make it the whole way I would encourage you to just start hiking and go until the money runs out. Odds are you will quit before that happens anyway. If you start in the spring in Georgia you could probably go from hiker box to hiker box well past Damascus without having to buy much food...if you're not picky about what you eat...you'll be getting the stuff people put in their maildrops that they decided they didn't want to eat.

This topic comes up several times a year. The reality is that lots of people say they aren't going to stay in towns and eat at restaurants but when you are cold and wet and its dark and you haven't had a shower for a week and all of your friends are going into town to sleep in a bed with sheets and have a few beers after eating a whole pizza, well, its very hard to resist the temptation. Very few people have the discipline to do it.
Those are both great points.

1. Most people don't complete. Give it a shot and see how far you get.

2. Once you are into Virginia the hiker boxes have a fair amount of food. I know just doing section hikes I've left candy, Knorr/Lipton Sides, Pop Tarts and other things in hiker boxes.

Slo-go'en
08-07-2017, 11:31
Hiker boxes are hit or miss. Their great if you like oatmeal and can identify bags of mystery powder.

perdidochas
08-07-2017, 11:36
If people out of the goodness of their hearts and for the enjoyment it brings want to set up a table with food because they want to feed hikers, how is that begging on the part of hikers? Hikers are the ones incriminated as being the ones promoting this behavior because we happen to partake of the food and enjoy it in return? I didn't ask them to set up the food. I didn't say - put the sodas in the stream, pretty please. It was there. (and I enjoyed it and thanked those very much for providing it, when they were around, that is. But I guess I could have walked on by the food with my nose in the air say - I AM NOT going to give in, for I will NOT promote the illusion of begging)

Now on our hike we did have to ask help from others. A couple times for rides because of a broken pack, a resupply run, a sickness, an injury. I guess then we need to take this all a step further and say hitchhiking must also be construed as begging and is definitely a culture promoted by hikers.

Of course the AT is a vacation. What else would it be? It's time spent doing a leisure activity away from home. Yes, it's a challenging, and often uncomfortable vacation, but it's a vacation nonetheless.

TTT
08-07-2017, 13:27
Hiker boxes are hit or miss. Their great if you like oatmeal and can identify bags of mystery powder. - LOL

saltysack
08-07-2017, 15:19

I'd say that's a hell of a lot cheaper than staying home! I bet he's full of stories and knowledge.

Uncle Cranky
08-08-2017, 09:05

If you are really broke and "need" to thru-hike the AT file for either food stamps or disability. On my attempted thru back in 2013 I made it as far as Bobblets Gap, north of Roanoke, Va before an injury put me off the Trail. On the way I encountered 5 guys hiking the AT on food stamps and three guys on disability payments. One of the guys on food stamps had been living in a homeless shelter in Roanoke that winter and thought it a better option to be living on the AT that summer. Another guy on food stamps hitch-hiked from Utah washing dishes in restaurants along the way, crashing for free on fellow "employee" couches before moving on, and managed to gather a modest nest egg by the time he hit Springer.

The next year I was doing a section in Massachusetts and in N. Adams met an Army vet on disability. He had hiked 400 miles from Buffalo on the Erie Canal Trail to Albany, Ny where he hitch-hiked to Williamstown and slept in the town cemetery the night before to save money on a room. He intended to continue north on the AT to Katahdin.

If you got a very frugal skinflint disposition and iron will power you could do the whole AT for about $500 to $1K, if you have the fortitude to only go into towns to resupply, never eat at a restaurant (I was in that business 30yrs and standard mark-up is 3.5X over raw food price), never stay in a hostel or motel, only shower where it is free, and avoid money draining habits like coffee at Starbucks, smoking and drinking beer, etc.

A much better option is steady employment coupled with a disciplined savings plan.

MisterQ
08-08-2017, 09:12
On the way I encountered 5 guys hiking the AT on food stamps and three guys on disability payments.

Great. So glad I could involuntarily subsidize their vacations for them by working all day.

Ethesis
08-08-2017, 13:21
Great. So glad I could involuntarily subsidize their vacations for them by working all day.

If a disabled vet wants to hike, I'm pleased that he or she is on the trail instead of riding a couch.

MisterQ
08-08-2017, 16:11
For clarity, my snarky comment was not intended to apply to disabled veterans, merely to those who may think applying for food stamps or disability is a good way to finance their hike.