PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst

Hooch
02-29-2008, 16:04
Now that it's been out for quite some time, who here has a ULA Catalyst? What do you honestly think of it? I'm looking at buying a larger pack than I have now (3600 cubes) some time soon, but want an opinion from users on this pack. The reviews look good, but I'd like to hear what the troops say in the field. Thanx for any feedback!

John B
02-29-2008, 16:11
Tabasco has one. Send him a PM. He lives in Versailles, so he would probably be happy to let you check his out. I asked him once and he brought it to Panera's when the central KY group got together. It's a great pack.

Hooch
02-29-2008, 16:19
Thanks, will do. I appreciate the info. :D

Buckles
02-29-2008, 17:35
Great pack. Brian Frankel at ULA rocks!

Sly
02-29-2008, 18:29
I've used a P-2 or Catalyst the last 6 years. Love 'em.

Rainbow_Brite
02-29-2008, 18:42
I haven't actually used one myself...but I hiked for 7 months on the AT with my boyfriend who had a ULA Catalyst. He loved the pack. When it got stolen at Trail Days last year, he bought another one. He never really seemed to have any problems with it, and the capacity was VERY nice to have occasionally.

BigCat
02-29-2008, 18:50
I have one and really like it. The only issue is that I have trouble keeping my should straps tight -- but I have that problem with most packs.

10-K
02-29-2008, 20:07
I have one and really like it. I can load it up with ~30 lbs and hike all day with no soreness in my shoulders or hips. I was using an Osprey Aether 70 and the Catalyst was my choice to transition towards lighter weight gear. It has the functionality of the Aether 70 with half the weight.

Customer service and shipping were excellent and the quality of the product itself is very good.

Hooch
02-29-2008, 20:12
I have one and really like it. I can load it up with ~30 lbs and hike all day with no soreness in my shoulders or hips. I was using an Osprey Aether 70 and the Catalyst was my choice to transition towards lighter weight gear. It has the functionality of the Aether 70 with half the weight.

Customer service and shipping were excellent and the quality of the product itself is very good.
First, thanks for all the info on this pack for those who have posted or PM'd me on it. It is greatly appreciated. :D 10-K, I'm glad you compared the Catalyst to the Aether 70, which I had origianlly planned on replacing my REI Cruise UL 60 with. The only thing that kept me from saving for an Aether 70 was the sheer weight of it. I just can't see carrying a pack that weighs in at more than 4 lbs. Thanks again to all for the help and words of advice.

Sly
02-29-2008, 20:14
I have one and really like it. The only issue is that I have trouble keeping my should straps tight -- but I have that problem with most packs.

Yeah, I have that problem from time to time. Someone suggest applying some silicon or seam sealer to the straps. I think that would work. Or Velcro since I seldom have to adjust them

Doctari
02-29-2008, 21:40
Tho it's not been used yet, my work / hiking partner just got one. A very nice pack, well made & for the weight it's Huge! Sadly, Matt is from Florida so is unable to stop shivvvvvering till the outside temp is around 90 degrees, so the pack won't be tested till late spring at the earliest. :p

Hooch
02-29-2008, 21:46
Tho it's not been used yet, my work / hiking partner just got one. A very nice pack, well made & for the weight it's Huge! Sadly, Matt is from Florida so is unable to stop shivvvvvering till the outside temp is around 90 degrees, so the pack won't be tested till late spring at the earliest. :pIs that the dude you took hiking that carried 3 knives, including the Bowie? :eek:

Bearpaw
02-29-2008, 21:56
I've owned 16 different packs in the last 10 years. Since getting my ULA Catalyst in January '07, the Catalyst is now the ONLY pack I own. It has the most comfortable hipbelt I've ever used, with the dual tension adjustment. It's a pretty simple, pretty tough pack that carries well. What more could I ask for?

Hooch
02-29-2008, 22:00
I've owned 16 different packs in the last 10 years. Since getting my ULA Catalyst in January '07, the Catalyst is now the ONLY pack I own. It has the most comfortable hipbelt I've ever used, with the dual tension adjustment. It's a pretty simple, pretty tough pack that carries well. What more could I ask for?Excellent endorsement, Bearpaw. Thanks. Always good to get a thumbs up on a piece of gear from a brother Marine. Maybe Brian could use this as a slogan:

ULA Packs. Jarhead tested, jarhead approved. :D

Bearpaw
02-29-2008, 22:03
Excellent endorsement, Bearpaw. Thanks. Always good to get a thumbs up on a piece of gear from a brother Marine. Maybe Brian could use this as a slogan:

ULA Packs. Jarhead tested, jarhead approved. :D

PM Lone Wolf. He owns one also. Granted, he'll tell you it's just a big sack (like all internal frames), but even he did admit that he liked it. I have to think that's solid praise from Lone Wolf.

Hooch
02-29-2008, 22:05
PM Lone Wolf. He owns one also. Granted, he'll tell you it's just a big sack (like all internal frames), but even he did admit that he liked it. I have to think that's solid praise from Lone Wolf.Lone wolf praising anything is a miracle unto itself. :p Seriously, I met LW at SoRuck, quite a nice guy, really. I'll message him, too. Thanks for the heads up.

Doctari
03-01-2008, 20:50
Is that the dude you took hiking that carried 3 knives, including the Bowie? :eek:

That's him. H.E. & I cured him on ONE overnight. I'm 20 years older than him, not nearly in as good of shape, I absolutly KICKED HIS BUTT on the hills cause he was carrying so much junk. THE knife (Now sold) weighed 2.5 Lbs, plus as you said he had 2 others (including a multi tool). Between H.E. & I: our total weights wasn't as much as Matt carried. He is now carrying less than me, but I'm working on it. I'm at my minimum until I can afford new / lighter stuff.
FWIW: Matt now thinks the ULA pack is a bit big for his stuff. I am so proud!! :sun

Doctari.