PDA

View Full Version : Govenor clement shelter / LT

BackTrack1
02-29-2008, 22:39
Does anyone here know about the secret shelter on the long trail just before Gov. clement shelter? I stayed there 2 yrs ago when i thrue hiked the LT, i think the ladies name was swansong, very cool lady and nice leanto she built for hikers so they wouldnt have to stay at the G. clement shelter where the locals bother hikers.
Im wondering if she still has it open and if anyone has contact info for her, im planning to do the first 100 miles again this summer and want to know if she is still there.
Thanks .

vonfrick
02-29-2008, 22:40
it was there last year (2007) i didnt stay.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 22:44
I stayed there last year. Great spot. Those folks that built that are true trail angels. G.Clement looked like it was a beautiful shelter back in the day, of course if I was a local I would be drawn there too, I'm just hoping I wouldn't have been one of the folks that trashed it.:(

stringbean
03-01-2008, 00:07
i second that it was there last year. i passed it and stayed in the shelter atop killington. the name evades me at the moment but i think its been torn down since and is in the process of being replaced. a thunderstorm rolled in that night and it was nice to be able to summit and watch it approach, then boogie back down to the shelter and fall asleep to the rain.

DuctTape
03-01-2008, 06:33
I've posted photos of the secret shelter online, but since it's supposed to be a secret you'll have to look closely... :-?

http://www.jamiecompos.com/longtrail/shelters.html

I was at the secret shelter as well as Cooper Lodge (On Killington) this past October '07. Regarding Cooper Lodge, I asked one of the GMC board of directors about it in October, and he said that there weren't any plans in place to tear it down, but there's been talks that something needs to be done because of all the wear and tear from skiers. I think it would a shame to see it go.

There's also apparently a plan in the works to build a gate barring the access road to Governor Clement.

BackTrack1
03-01-2008, 08:47
Is the shelter still marked w/ a note in a bag on the side of the trail? i cant remember if there was a side trail to it or not, its been 2 yrs and ive sen alot of trail since then , i tend to forget the fine detailes, also does anyone have contact info for swansong, i guess i should have gooten it while i was there 2 yrs ago.
Thanks for the info.
Bryan

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:05
Is the shelter still marked w/ a note in a bag on the side of the trail? i cant remember if there was a side trail to it or not, its been 2 yrs and ive sen alot of trail since then , i tend to forget the fine detailes, also does anyone have contact info for swansong, i guess i should have gooten it while i was there 2 yrs ago.
Thanks for the info.
Bryan

Yes, there was a note in a ziploc bag on a tree last year.

Quoddy
03-01-2008, 13:48
Unless my memory fails me... if NOBO, upon reaching Upper Cold River Road, make a left. Go about 1/4 mile and look for the rock cairn marking the path to the Secret Shelter.

BackTrack1
03-01-2008, 14:06
Very cool,

Thanks.

warraghiyagey
03-02-2008, 04:38
Very cool,

Thanks.

If going south, 1.6 to 1.9 after Governor Clement Shelter. Take a right on the dirt road and it's just over a quarter mile on the dirt road. Don't take the first 'Y' dirt road you come to (on the right), continue on a few more hundred yards to a 'T'. You can sometimes see it through the trees from there. Take a few steps to the right and go straight across the 'T'.
Aaanywho, I think it's secretly in there somewhere.;):)