PDA

View Full Version : fontana dam P.O.

nightshaded
03-01-2008, 00:18
i'm slowly finishing organizing my mail drops...
from what i've been told so far, the P.O. at fontana dam is not very close to the AT. so i'm wondering how convenient it actually is to access...is it a reasonable walking distance/hitch from the trail? if not, what would be a good alternative location for a drop at the dam? i know the hostel accepts drops if you're staying there, but i don't want to be committed to staying there...
any advice would be appreciated!
bone lady

karadactyl
03-01-2008, 00:34
The confusing thing about this spot on the trail is that there are TWO "Fontana Dams" - Fontana Dam (5 miles away) and Fontana Village (2 miles away). From the Hilton (shelter) you can easily walk to the dam's visitor's area where there is a pay phone and call for a ride to Fontana Village (shuttle is not too expensive - resupply is). Getting to the other would require a hitch. When I was there last year (late March) there were virtually no cars as it wasn't tourist season. Just make sure that you send your package to the right Fontana Dam and if you send it to the village, that you're going to get there on a weekday as they have limited hours. Resupply there is EXPENSIVE. What I ended up doing was getting a larger resupply at the NOC (30 miles/2 days before Fontana Dam) and making that plus a few purchases in the Village last through the smokies. There's a good little hostel about 3 miles after you leave the Smokies called Standing Bear Farm where you can eat to your heart's content and get a little resupply.

karadactyl
03-01-2008, 00:34
Above post was from Bucket, btw... (forgot to sign it!) :)

Chaco Taco
03-01-2008, 00:41
If you do a zero at SBF, sometimes when Curtis goes to pick up hikers he will give ya ride and stop somewhere for you to resupply

1/4 moon
03-01-2008, 05:29
Ahhh..Standing Bear Farm, I remember stopping in there, great resupply on the honor system and dijorno pizza, but to get back on topic, I had a package shipped to the village. there is a pay phone at NC28 along with restrooms and a vending machine. You can call the shuttle which i think is listed in the companion but is also listed on the bulletin board there as well, only cost like $3 iirc

Think Spring
03-01-2008, 11:22
:sunTalked yesterday with Nancy at the hostel at Fontana to confirm the snow reports,...(yeah, they got smacked)... and to be sure they'll still accept drop's for folks staying with them. For me, I'm staying and thus the drop is a no-brainer. For those also thinking of staying, Nancy advises to make a call to them prior to leaving NOC on a NOBO.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2008, 11:41
I dump my stuff off at the "Hilton" and do the 2 1/2 mile walk to the P.O. It's an enjoyable walk after 163 miles of lugging a backpack over Georgia/NC mountains.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:07
:sunTalked yesterday with Nancy at the hostel at Fontana to confirm the snow reports,...(yeah, they got smacked)... and to be sure they'll still accept drop's for folks staying with them. For me, I'm staying and thus the drop is a no-brainer. For those also thinking of staying, Nancy advises to make a call to them prior to leaving NOC on a NOBO.

We stayed at the Hike Inn last year - kind of expensive but they had what you need, including a run to Robbinsville for resupply and dinner. And they accept mail drops, do your laundry, etc. And be sure you call ahead - limited # of rooms.

nightshaded
03-03-2008, 11:45
thanks for the input...can anyone confirm this: 50 Fontana RD
Fontana Dam, NC 28733-6105

as being the address for the PO nearer to the trail?
thanks!

Blissful
03-03-2008, 19:41
My book just says Fontana Dam, NC and the zip.

Pedaling Fool
03-03-2008, 19:44
My book just says Fontana Dam, NC and the zip.
Agreed, not enough room in that village for two P.O.s

nightshaded
03-05-2008, 09:03
Agreed, not enough room in that village for two P.O.s

so if i mark the box as "general delivery" and have the city/zip on the lable, i should be ok?

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 09:52
so if i mark the box as "general delivery" and have the city/zip on the lable, i should be ok?

your name
general delivery
fontana dam, n.c. 28733

hold for AT hiker

Lost My Mind
03-05-2008, 10:14
Thanks, Wolf. I'm sending a SMNP supply box today to Cerberus. Last time we were at Fontana, the resupply was minimal. They seem to cater more to bikers and folks staying in the cabins than to hikers.

snowhoe
03-05-2008, 11:33
I had my maildrop sent to the hostel in the village and let me tell you I was soooo pissed. I was planning to stay at the hostel but it was full so I asked if my mail had come yet? The guy went back and said it had. I said could I please have it? He told me there was a $30.00 fee for sending mail here. I said you can keep the damn box and I left. Luckly some guys I were hiking with had extra so I could make it through the smokies.

Sly
03-05-2008, 11:38
The confusing thing about this spot on the trail is that there are TWO "Fontana Dams" - Fontana Dam (5 miles away) and Fontana Village (2 miles away).

Huh, the Fontana Dam PO is in Fontana Village. I don't know of another 5 miles away.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 11:39
Huh, the Fontana Dam PO is in Fontana Village. I don't know of another 5 miles away.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

there's a PO a few miles past The Hike Inn

Sly
03-05-2008, 11:46
there's a PO a few miles past The Hike Inn

Yeah, but I don't think it's called Fontana or Fontana dam. Checking usps.com and mapquest brings me to the village.

Sly
03-05-2008, 11:50
The only other town I see near there on rt 28 is Stecoah.

http://tinyurl.com/27oqvt

highway
03-05-2008, 12:47
your name
general delivery
fontana dam, n.c. 28733

hold for AT hiker

Also, add expected date of arrival if it will be there long, as you send it before you start the trail. She holds for 30 days. Longer if you will put in your expected (best guess) date of arrival

Nice woman, the postmistress:

Debra Williams, 828-498-2315

I just spoke with her after realizing that the Hike Inn charges $30.00 to receive a package if I do not stay. I felt it exorbitant. The Post Office is shown in Appalachian Pages guide as west of the trail intersection on 28, "about 1 mile", but there are shuttles. I am sending my box there

tyler0928
03-05-2008, 13:17
Do you normally have to pay when picking up a mail drop? If so how much?

Sly
03-05-2008, 13:25
Do you normally have to pay when picking up a mail drop? If so how much?

I can't recall any place that charges on the AT. $30 at the Fontana Village hostel is absurd. The PO is right there and they don't charge.

Sly
03-05-2008, 13:28
I just spoke with her after realizing that the Hike Inn charges $30.00 to receive a package if I do not stay. I felt it exorbitant. The Post Office is shown in Appalachian Pages guide as west of the trail intersection on 28, "about 1 mile", but there are shuttles. I am sending my box there

Snowhoe said the "hostel in the village" charges $30. Do they both charge?

Pedaling Fool
03-05-2008, 14:26
...west of the trail intersection on 28, "about 1 mile", but there are shuttles. I am sending my box there
FWIW, it's more like 2 miles.

highway
03-05-2008, 14:33
FWIW, it's more like 2 miles.

The mileage (quotes) was from the Postmistress this morning at Fontana when I asked her and since I will likely walk it I prefer her definition better:-?

snowhoe
03-06-2008, 00:39
sly I cant tell you how mad I was. 1st there was my food in their for the smokies and second my wife was pregnet and I just wanted to read a letter that she had written to me.

Sly
03-06-2008, 00:55
sly I cant tell you how mad I was. 1st there was my food in their for the smokies and second my wife was pregnet and I just wanted to read a letter that she had written to me.

I don't blame you. If would be one thing if they weren't full and you decided not to stay, but still, if you weren't expecting the fee. And $30 is way too much.

earthbound
03-08-2008, 21:40
Does anyone know if the Hazel Creek Outfitters in Fontana Dam holds maildrops? Who else besides the hike inn and post office will hold them?

cowpoke
03-09-2008, 09:53
Hazel creek outfitters is located about 50 feet from the post office in the Village...so send to PO. If you want...leave your stuff in the "Hilton" and walk over to the gift shop at the Dam...they will gladly call for the shuttle for you...2 bucks up to the Village. If nothing else...the hamburgers at the grill in the Village are worth it...along with the cold beer...cheers

nightshaded
03-09-2008, 12:34
thank you everyone for the advice. i have been trying to write approximate dates on all my drops...and i did want to avoid the hostel, since i don't plan on staying there. so, fontana P.O. it is....the box has been sent off into the care of the USPS.

1Pint
03-09-2008, 15:22
The postmistress was wonderful - very friendly and helpful. However, I'd recommend you skip sending yourself a box and just resupply at the outfitter 50 yards (or so?) up the parking lot from the PO. The outfitter sells fuel by the ounce, tortillas, freeze-dried food, all the standard hiker stuff. Use the general store directly next to the PO for ice cream & cold drinks but not resupply unless you don't mind expensive oatmeal expired 12 months earlier. I'm not kidding.

The ice cream parlor next to the general store opened for the season on the day we arrived, which I think was around April 17th, but I'm not sure.

There is a $2 shuttle operated by the village that will run you from the restrooms near the boat put-in to the village. It's worth the money and the driver was friendly to a bunch of stinky hikers. The shuttle also stops at the Fontana Dam shelter ("The Hilton") and I think one other trail spot. Anyway, it's an easy resupply and a maildrop is only necessary if you have medications or something of that nature.

Laura/1Pint

Nightwalker
03-09-2008, 19:00
I had my maildrop sent to the hostel in the village and let me tell you I was soooo pissed. I was planning to stay at the hostel but it was full so I asked if my mail had come yet? The guy went back and said it had. I said could I please have it? He told me there was a $30.00 fee for sending mail here. I said you can keep the damn box and I left. Luckly some guys I were hiking with had extra so I could make it through the smokies.

Which hostel?