PDA

View Full Version : When will PCT hikers cross from OR to WA?

karadactyl
03-01-2008, 02:58
As a new arrival in Oregon, I'm disappointed that the distance from the AT prevents my helping out hikers, but excited that the PCT is so close! Can anyone give me a rough idea of when PCT thru-hikers might be crossing the Bridge of the Gods?

Also, any 2007 AT thru-hikers doing the PCT this year?

-Bucket

Sly
03-01-2008, 03:42
As a new arrival in Oregon, I'm disappointed that the distance from the AT prevents my helping out hikers, but excited that the PCT is so close! Can anyone give me a rough idea of when PCT thru-hikers might be crossing the Bridge of the Gods?

Also, any 2007 AT thru-hikers doing the PCT this year?

-Bucket

Party in Cascade Locks 8/27! Some on down! :banana

1/4 moon
03-01-2008, 05:55
Hey Bucket, Beatbox will be hiking this year under the name bebop and I think i heard somewhere lost will be as well. Also not sure if you remember Yukon who we met on Springer, but he'll be PCTing it this year as well. 11 more days till our anniversary.lol. Going out with rodeo clown and trashbag the weekend following.

karadactyl
03-01-2008, 14:44
Thanks, 4/16 Moon! Hope that you're doing well!

A-Train
03-01-2008, 20:17
Middle of August to middle of September, with the main "hurd" coming through around the end of August, early sept. I hit Cascade Locks August 26th.

Supposed to be a new hostel there this year. Probably a good place to find the hikers.

rafe
03-01-2008, 21:07
Middle of August to middle of September, with the main "hurd" coming through around the end of August, early sept. I hit Cascade Locks August 26th.

Maybe one of the PCT hikers would cite an estimate of just how big that "hurd" might be? I just can't imagine it being more than 100-200 hikers (??) but maybe I'm all wet...

I'm presuming that the number of PCT starters per year is significantly lower than the number of AT starters... :-?

yappy
03-01-2008, 21:18
The numbers are smaller then AT for sure but growing. When we were out I would say about 65-70 finished most of them stopping at cascade locks.

Sly
03-01-2008, 21:19
In Cascades Locks? I wouldn't think more than 10-20 in any one day.

Maybe one of the PCT hikers would cite an estimate of just how big that "hurd" might be? I just can't imagine it being more than 100-200 hikers (??) but maybe I'm all wet...

I'm presuming that the number of PCT starters per year is significantly lower than the number of AT starters... :-?

yappy
03-01-2008, 21:23
we didn't see more then maybe 15 when we were there. Only 65 hikers finished that yr.. in 02 we came thru there again end of august and probably about the same..15 or so.

Mr. Parkay
03-01-2008, 21:23

Yes, there are definitely a lot fewer people who start the PCT as compared to the AT. However, I found it interesting that the density of hikers in the center of the PCT Pack was similar to the density of hikers in the middle of the AT pack. The reason is because the window for starting the PCT is so narrow, that everyone is starting within a few weeks of each other, many of whom start at the kickoff. As opposed to the AT where people are spread out much more evenly over several months. So if you are hiking the PCT with the pack, it feels like there are just as many people as there would be on the AT, even though there's much less people on the trail as a whole.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what the PCT starting figures were this last year. Possibly in the 300-400 range for people starting off.

yappy
03-01-2008, 21:27
I agree.. there is a " pack " hiking just like the AT... maybe another behind you and another up ahead...but they shrink as you go and sorta combine towards the end...although there was still plenty of folks up ahead that we didn't meet..

chris
03-03-2008, 15:19
I hit Cascade Locks on August 3, but was well in front of the pack that year. Two people came through before me, and about 7 came in about a week later. Most were coming in, as people have said, in later August.

Matteroo
03-04-2008, 02:15
Great info from folks. Bucket (Karadactyle) and I are going to be putting on some trail magic around the gorge for PCT hikers I'm sure. We're just learning the area but I think we'll find some and get some advice on where some good places are to do it. Maybe one day into Washington near Mt. Adams or something, so people are a day out of town. Drove through Cascade Locks yesterday evening, say the Pacific Crest Pub and Hostel - I am guessing that is where we'll find hikers.

chris
03-04-2008, 11:09
Just south of Mount Adams is a good gravel road. That would be an excellent spot as you've been out of Cascade Locks for a while. Easier to get to is Stampede Pass, but that is pretty close to Snoqualmie Pass and a town.

What is the Pacific Crest Pub and Hostel? Something new in town? Or did the Salmon Row get renamed?

Sly
03-04-2008, 12:48
Just south of Mount Adams is a good gravel road. That would be an excellent spot as you've been out of Cascade Locks for a while.

Yeah, I could use a ride into Trout Lake!

Matteroo
03-04-2008, 20:48
keep in touch with us through here as things approach. We'll be involved as much as we can with helping hikers. Pacific Crest Pub & Hostel was very near towards Bridge of the Gods side of the town of cascade (West side). Not sure if it is new or not - we just moved here a few months ago.

Yes, a day or two or three out of town is the best place for trail magic. : )

Maybe its not nearly as kosher as on the AT - but we'd look into any cooler-stashing during times we can't get out there, if that makes sense/can be done without issue.

-Water

karadactyl
03-05-2008, 17:08
Good job Water on taking over my blog while I ignored it! Great to hear from some people. At least on weekends towards the end of August/early September we'll head over there and see what we can do. Lots of time between now and then for us to make plans! Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Matteroo
03-08-2008, 21:43
drove accross Bridge of the Gods today and hiked Hamilton Mountain. Quite a beautiful crossing. The Columbia looked very blue and was rushing quite fast, given how narrow the river is there. I wonder how deep it is.. So, we were excited to drive on, and then see where the PCT headed up into the North side of the gorge. We'll do some hikes on it as springs nears..

vaporjourney
03-08-2008, 23:02
Hope to see you guys doing some trail magic this August-ish as I head north.

-BBBBBeatbox/Bebop

1/4 moon
03-09-2008, 02:38
I'll take this chance to wish bbbbbeatbox and all other hikers best of luck this year!

Matteroo
03-09-2008, 04:40
Bucket came up with an absolutely hair-brained idea that would stir some drama in an otherwise drama free relationship with my parents: Drop the gear weight a bit, get cheap transport, and hike the 615 miles I missed in 07. I'm doing well paying temp work and the permanent job search is not exactly taking off..I'm not rolling in cash but am thinking I could shoot for $650 between travel and trail expenses and haul ass doing some long days-don't need to buy any new gear. No beer or hotels, nose to the grind stone and finish before may 5th to be an '07 thru (haha).

I can get to Atlanta for about $150 from Portland, and can get from Roanoke, VA ->Raleigh-Durham-> Home to Portland for $130

I may make another post about this, feels weird trying to make this decision, like, the rationale for going ahead with it seems selfish/hiking is better/easier than being underemployed doing temp work not having health ins.. etc Bucket has a great fulltime job.. this started as a joke while we hiked and now seems feasible.

gotta see about ATL - approach trail/springer transport costs.

1/4 moon
03-11-2008, 00:40
Hmmm...that might not be too far fetched, if you're super budgeting, go greyhound =( to Gainesville then hitch or taxi to Amicolala. or you could Hiker Hostel it. It's faily feasable and Bucket can be your sugar mama. Also what would be kind of an interesting would be that Bucket hiked the same trip essentially...solo for 615 then the rest together(late night, probably not so interesting of a thought). If it makes sense, why not go for it. IMO a great reason to get out this spring.

A-Train
03-11-2008, 02:16
drove accross Bridge of the Gods today and hiked Hamilton Mountain. Quite a beautiful crossing. The Columbia looked very blue and was rushing quite fast, given how narrow the river is there. I wonder how deep it is.. So, we were excited to drive on, and then see where the PCT headed up into the North side of the gorge. We'll do some hikes on it as springs nears..

Seriously? I was up there that day too. Was with 3 girls and 2 dogs. 'Twas a nice hike up there past the falls.

Matteroo
03-11-2008, 10:56
wearing the mammut hat and the dogs - one looked like a fox, the other a sheep dog type-fight-playing like crazy in the snow?

Was that you?? TOTALLY bizzare! so you're living out here or were visiting?