PDA

View Full Version : Where can I see a Moose?

STEVEM
03-01-2008, 10:45
My wife and I have traveled through New England many times and have never seen a moose. We've seen plenty of moose crossing signs so I assume they're around somewhere.

We'd like to plan a trip to Northern New England this year with the goal of seeing and photographing some moose.

Where and when should we go? My wife has a fear of the woods, so I need recommendations that are near some type of civilization. A remote pond in the middle of the wilderness just won't work.

Sly
03-01-2008, 10:47
I didn't see a moose until I was leaving Baxter. Two of them were right off the road from Katahdin Streams campground. I've since seen them in southern Colorado and northern Montana.

FallGirl
03-01-2008, 10:51
On my honeymoon in Yellowstone, we did the whole backcountry thing...I'll I wanted was to see a moose. That was my entire goal. Everyone we met saw a moose. Everytime we went where moose were reported to have been, none were in sight. I don't think they really exist. But, according to others Yellowstone and Grand Teton have a lot...if you feel like taking a trip west.

KG4FAM
03-01-2008, 10:55
I only saw one in all of Maine and New Hampshire and so far off that I barely even saw it.

JF2CBR
03-01-2008, 11:06
I've seen several in Baxter state park in Maine and a couple more off of Rt. 101 in Vermont.

DavidNH
03-01-2008, 11:14
SteveM,

If you want to see a moose choose some time between mid summer and early fall.

Baxter State Park should certainly have some. But if you want to stay close to civilization.. I would recommend northern New Hampshire. No, not north to the whites but beyone there.. go north of the notches, north of Berlin along route 16 north towards Errol into Maine. I have had some great sightings there. Also, the northeast Kingdom of VT is a good area.

Usually, moose are seen in the am or pm twilight (morning or evening). But sometimes you can see moose in the middle of the day from the car even along route three. I once saw one crossing the I 93 interstate north of Plymouth.

I would suspect that in anycase.. you'll have to be north of Mass to see moose.

By the way, in Gorham, NH there is a small outfit that offers moose tours. You ride in a small van or bus and they take you to places where they know there will be moose.

In any case.. be careful driving on rural northern new england roads.. Moose stand on all fours around 6 feet tall and in a collision the no one wins. Collisions do happen.

DavidNH

rafe
03-01-2008, 11:19
Moose like swamps and shallow ponds. They feed off vegetation at the bottom. They can apparently "graze" in this manner for quite some time before coming up for air. I've seen 'em in Baxter Park (in Sandy Stream Pond) and on the AT along Rainbow Lake. At Sandy Stream Pond, we actually mistook the moose, at first, for large rocks in the pond.

woodsy
03-01-2008, 11:28
Steve, heres a link (http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/naturewatching/moosewatching.shtml) with some good tips.
Some tourists park and wait by the Moose Crossing signs along the highway:D

sheepdog
03-01-2008, 12:06
There really is no such thing as a moose. Look at a picture of one. Do you really thinks such a rediculous critter could be alive. It is like a jack-a-lope or a snipe. A cruel trick on newbees to the woods. I hate to be the one to tell you.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:14
The only time we saw a moose (mom and her calf) was during a shuttle ride near Glencliff, NH. Other than that, we saw none the entire hike. Though we heard stories of moose near the shelters. We actually tented quite a bit in Maine.

I found the wildlife sightings on the AT rather poor and kind of disappointing. Except for lots of snakes (Paul Bunyan saw one nearly every day in the summer).

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:16
There really is no such thing as a moose. Look at a picture of one. Do you really thinks such a rediculous critter could be alive. It is like a jack-a-lope or a snipe. A cruel trick on newbees to the woods. I hate to be the one to tell you.

I believe that one. We just saw one on a road, not on the AT. It may have been a plant for tourists like us. ;)

weary
03-01-2008, 12:17
The roads near Rangeley Maine are frequented by moose from spring through fall, but can be seen most easily in late Spring, early summer around dusk. I think they nibble on the salt left from winter road maintenance

One guaranteed place to see moose is at Sandy Stream Pond in Baxter State Park. Drive to Roaring Brook campground. The pond is a half mile or so walk on a well-defined trail north of the campground. You may have to wait an hour or so, but they will show up.

Sorry about the Baxter woods. That's the thing about a lot of wildlife. They tend to live in and near the woods. Moose tend to be dumber than most wild creatures, but even moose have learned to be nervous around humans -- more so since Maine began shooting them.

Weary

rafe
03-01-2008, 12:21
I found the wildlife sightings on the AT rather poor and kind of disappointing. Except for lots of snakes (Paul Bunyan saw one nearly every day in the summer).

Some folks are luckier than others, and some are just more observant than others. I walked a stretch of SNP with "Mr. Wiffle" this summer. He kept seeing bear after bear just off the trail in the woods -- I missed them all. I did have one awesome bear encounter at the north end of the park, while walking alone. That, and a cool rattler in PA... I was happy.

dessertrat
03-01-2008, 12:21
Moose are catch as catch can. Sometimes you will find one when you aren't looking-- they are often in lakes and ponds near towns. I've seen Moose near Rangely and Brownville not too far from the road. Judging by the signs I've seen, you have a a good chance of seeing one in the hundred mile wilderness near one of the lakes or ponds, but I have not seen one there-- just a lot of hoofprints and droppings.

mudhead
03-01-2008, 12:38
SteveM,

If you want to see a moose choose some time between mid summer and early fall.

Baxter State Park should certainly have some. But if you want to stay close to civilization.. I would recommend northern New Hampshire. No, not north to the whites but beyone there.. go north of the notches, north of Berlin along route 16 north towards Errol into Maine. I have had some great sightings there. Also, the northeast Kingdom of VT is a good area.

Usually, moose are seen in the am or pm twilight (morning or evening). But sometimes you can see moose in the middle of the day from the car even along route three. I once saw one crossing the I 93 interstate north of Plymouth.

I would suspect that in anycase.. you'll have to be north of Mass to see moose.

By the way, in Gorham, NH there is a small outfit that offers moose tours. You ride in a small van or bus and they take you to places where they know there will be moose.

In any case.. be careful driving on rural northern new england roads.. Moose stand on all fours around 6 feet tall and in a collision the no one wins. Collisions do happen.

DavidNH

Good advice, and semi-close to you. I am amazed at the number of people that I run into that go looking for Swamp Donkeys at 11AM. Get somewhere with a cup of coffee, and wait for light. If you can make out the shape of a rock out in the water, watch in case it moves.

Do slow down driving. I have heard more moose on the stretch north of Berlin, than I have seen. And that is scary.

rafe
03-01-2008, 12:40
One guaranteed place to see moose is at Sandy Stream Pond in Baxter State Park. Drive to Roaring Brook campground. The pond is a half mile or so walk on a well-defined trail north of the campground. You may have to wait an hour or so, but they will show up.

See Msg. #7. :D I think that's Sandy Stream pond (attached photo) but I'm not sure whether that's South Turner in the background, or Katahdin. I recall that we passed along the south shore of the pond on the way to South Turner, so now I'm confused. :confused:

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2008, 12:45
Is it possible to hike all of Maine w/o seeing a moose?

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 12:47
the animal planet or discovery has moose on them every now an then, and if you have a d.v.r. you can tape them and watch them anytime.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 12:51
My wife and I have traveled through New England many times and have never seen a moose. We've seen plenty of moose crossing signs so I assume they're around somewhere.

We'd like to plan a trip to Northern New England this year with the goal of seeing and photographing some moose.

Where and when should we go? My wife has a fear of the woods, so I need recommendations that are near some type of civilization. A remote pond in the middle of the wilderness just won't work.
so you want the moose to come to you?a road crossing or what,delivered to your motel room along with the pizza, you should feel safer in the woods than in most towns. on the trail i've seen moose as far south as kay wood lean-to south of dalton,ma. all the way to baxter.

mudhead
03-01-2008, 12:52

Yes.

I can't imagine it, but people can be loud, never look around, and seem like they are on a sidewalk.

Same as deer. But goofy looking.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 12:54
you bet your a**,and bears,eagles,bobcats,etc... but on the other hand, the sun shines on every dogs a** now and then! happy hiking:banana

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 13:29
You could camp at Abol Pines campground at Abol Bridge at Baxter SP in Maine. Moose feed in the water there. First moose I saw on the A.T. was on Moose Mountain. Not wanting to go into the woods restricts your opportunity to see them.

Nearly Normal
03-01-2008, 13:56
Everytime you get in place with views stop and binocular the area. Marshy, wetland type places. Sometimes they will be lying down and unnoticed.
In the Tetons I saw several this way. Even saw one standing that kept moving around to keep a boulder between us every where we moved to. Never did get a real good look at her. In the Tetons we were following a stream up a trail with alpine meadows and were below the moose.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 14:28

We didn't. Just tons of moose doo. People kept telling us there was a moose ahead. Even a wild and crazy moose with the rack and everything in the 100 mile wilderness, banging against a tree, somene had said to us at the shelter ahead. No moose when we got there.

OOPS I take that back. We saw the dead moose or what was left of it in Mahoosuc notch. Man that was bad.

But no live one on the trail.

I only saw one bear too. In PA. Not even in Shenandoah.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 14:31
First moose I saw on the A.T. was on Moose Mountain.

Oh sure right. :D

(Where is Moose mtn, I forget - )

STEVEM
03-01-2008, 15:32
so you want the moose to come to you?a road crossing or what,delivered to your motel room along with the pizza, you should feel safer in the woods than in most towns. on the trail i've seen moose as far south as kay wood lean-to south of dalton,ma. all the way to baxter.

It's not about being lazy. My wife has a legitimate fear of the woods. She has a phobia of some type and panics on trails and paths in the woods, even when they're clearly blazed and I can show her a map of where we are.

She's been able to walk on a few trails around home, but the only way we've accomplished that is walking in a little further each time over a period of days or weeks so she becomes familiar with the surroundings.

She loves birds and animals, and has always wanted to see a moose, but can't just walk off into the woods like the rest of us.

mudhead
03-01-2008, 15:38
No worries. I have seen more moose from a vehicle than in the twillies.

Cooler in the woods, but thats me. Gravel turnout, plus water, plus early AM.

After you get bored watching, take her to breakfast, near your motel.

Wife+happy=a good thing. Happy moosing.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2008, 16:00
It's not about being lazy. My wife has a legitimate fear of the woods. She has a phobia of some type and panics on trails and paths in the woods, even when they're clearly blazed and I can show her a map of where we are.

She's been able to walk on a few trails around home, but the only way we've accomplished that is walking in a little further each time over a period of days or weeks so she becomes familiar with the surroundings.

She loves birds and animals, and has always wanted to see a moose, but can't just walk off into the woods like the rest of us. i dont believe i said anything about being lazy?,i wish you both the best on seeing a moose! its incredible! you would probably see one near a road easier anyway, where ever theres moose crossing signs along the highway, moose do cross from pond to pond swamp to swamp whatever? my favorite sighting about scared the hell out of me im hiking around a lake,with the trail skirting around the lake for probably 20 minutes when a bull moose pops up from under the water from grazing. not saying he was under the water the whole time hell of a sight though. longest encounter was in the wilderness the scared moose kept hiking north with me for the longest time,trying to get away instead of just side stepping me.

Autumnwind
03-01-2008, 16:22
Katahdin Steam Campground and Sandy stream are two good places to find moose. Although they are spirits of the woods. Very quiet and dosile. Having had two walk in front of me while on a walk is nothing but spectacular. Bull in full rack and cow behind just walked out in front of me and shook a bit then crossed the road back into the woods. On their walk through the woods. Camping at Roaring brook for a night would probably lead you to a glance of the majestic moose. The babies are just precious. I hope you find one on your journeys. Aroostook county has plenty to be seen.

Nearly Normal
03-01-2008, 18:27
Moose have been known to stomp folks to death.

fehchet
03-01-2008, 18:36
Jackman. Maine

weary
03-01-2008, 18:49
Yes. Trails are not always the best places for moose sighting. On trails it's mostly a matter of luck.

weary
03-01-2008, 18:52
I suppose most anything one can imagine happens occasionally. But it isn't often, if ever.

Weary

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 19:25
Oh sure right. :D

(Where is Moose mtn, I forget - )

No joke. It was 15 minutes north of the shelter on Moose Mountain, in New Hampshire, I believe.

mudhead
03-01-2008, 19:38

They'll rip your lungs out, Jim.

Shutterbug
03-01-2008, 19:54

Four years ago, my wife and I spent a weekend in Greenville, Maine in June. Over the weekend, we saw 44 moose (or mooses).

Here is one we saw in Baxter State Park.

warraghiyagey
03-02-2008, 04:18
They'll rip your lungs out, Jim.

'I'd like to meet his taylor.'

Moose? Anywhere in Maine along the trail. Katahdin Stream. Likely.
Sure bet. A mile and a half to 2 miles West of Abol Bridge the road splits a large lake. Numbers of them feed there in the early evenining.
From what the locals say, it's a can't miss. It's also the first place I ever saw them.

warraghiyagey
03-02-2008, 04:19
'I'd like to meet his taylor.'

Moose? Anywhere in Maine along the trail. Katahdin Stream. Likely.
Sure bet. A mile and a half to 2 miles West of Abol Bridge the road splits a large lake. Numbers of them feed there in the early evenining.
From what the locals say, it's a can't miss. It's also the first place I ever saw them.

And by West I mean East.:o

fiddlehead
03-02-2008, 04:41
how's this?
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/_____13.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/?action=view&current=_____13.jpg)

click on lthumbnail for a quick loading cool pic.

warraghiyagey
03-02-2008, 04:44
how's this?
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/_____13.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/?action=view&current=_____13.jpg)

click on lthumbnail for a quick loading cool pic.

Reminds me very much of the spot I took pictures of a Moose on Pemadumcook Lake.

woodsy
03-02-2008, 08:09
Where can I see a Moose?
This Cow Moose (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16212) was in my backyard last spring. Her yearling calf was with her
but couldn't get them both in the same photo.
This Moose was hiding behind some evergreens for 15 minutes while her calf browsed freely in the open along the edge of woods.. Photo taken from about 200' using full optical zoom.
Ain't she cute?;):)

Hooch
03-02-2008, 08:18
I've only seen one........:D

Trout
03-02-2008, 09:02
Pittsburg NH Rte#3 "Moose Alley" on the way up the border, but really, just north of Pittsburg--go in late June & they will be everywhere along the side of the road drinking salt rich water from the side of the road. Early in the AM 5-7 or just at dusk are the best times.

weary
03-02-2008, 10:18
If your spouse really can't enjoy the woods, drive the Golden Road between Millinocket and Greenville and your chances of seeing a moose are quite good, even at midday. I've seen a moose virtually every time I've used the road.

It's a private, paper company toll road, that you can pick up near Millinocket Lake while driving towards Baxter Park from Millinocket. Incidentally, it's the only road to Abol Bridge, where you can pick up the AT.

Weary

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 13:34

I have heard this, but when was the last time it happened to someone? I hear about just about every bear attack in the news, and have heard of several in the last few years, but have not read about a moose attack-- anyone have a news link?

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2008, 13:56
I have heard this, but when was the last time it happened to someone? I hear about just about every bear attack in the news, and have heard of several in the last few years, but have not read about a moose attack-- anyone have a news link?

Too Funny Watch this idiot... at 6 feet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h39HvwrTTQ

Here is your stomping video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OdcozF6Z8&feature=related

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 14:01
Ouch. Reminds me of a time back in Maine when a moose with brainworms came into downtown and stomped on a police cruiser.

Appalachian Tater
03-02-2008, 14:02

Looks more like the moose is dancing a jig and someone just happens to be the dance floor.

woodsy
03-02-2008, 15:46
Sorry, couldn't find news link but several years ago a man was doing security checks on camps in a remote corner of Maine(Coburn Gore) next to Quebec, when he found a Moose tangled in and trapped by old phone wire which was strung through the trees back in the day.
He stopped and got the moose freed up and then the Moose charged and stomped the guy busting him up pretty bad. Someone happened to pass by I think and got him out of there and to hospital where he recovered.

Another Moose in the rut a couple years ago saw his reflection in the window of a home and commenced tearing the siding off the house with its rack.

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2008, 16:01

Forgive me sometimes I would attach a visible map and the tools on the bar are missing i guess because we are in Wildlife.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/map-na.jpg

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/?action=view&current=map-na.jpg
There isn't very many good studies on a very numerous animal, ( I found better ones overseas) to answer you question.

http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/nhsightseeing/a/aamoosealley.htm

My best advice is to do what I did "best place to view moose (insert state)" into google, Loads of ideas that do not include hunting lodges.

walkin' wally
03-02-2008, 16:36
Too Funny Watch this idiot... at 6 feet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h39HvwrTTQ

That was at the University of Alaska at Anchorage. The woman died from the attack.
Moose deserve respect during rutting season or when they are with their young. They can kill bears and certainly people.

rlharris
03-02-2008, 19:51
There are "moose tours" in Lincoln, NH, as well as the ones based in Gorham. I think there are also some in Pittsburg, NH.

Moose are frequently sighted along US 302 between Twin Mountain and Crawford Notch early in the morning and towards dusk. Saw them twice last fall on the way to day hikes out of Crawford Notch.

At night, if the line markings on the road disappear unexpectedly, slow down quickly. There may be a moose standing in the road. Unlike most other mammals, their eyes and coats do not reflect light, making them difficult to see in the dark.

Last fall there was one walking the streets of downtown Burlington, VT -- unless you believe sheepdog, in which case it was a figment of our imagination. :p

BTW, Bert and I had a great routine on one of their CDs about Jacques the Champion Moose Caller. Next time you're in Maine try to buy it.