PDA

View Full Version : Maps

surefoot
03-01-2008, 11:15
I read about people saying to use maps and have read in Sgt. Rocks journal about him using a map to locate water on a side trail. Are there any particular maps that are better than others or is this information written in the companion. Don’t want to carry any more “junk” than I have to but want to be well prepared and informed.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2008, 11:27
I did not read his journal, but just about everyone uses the latest ATC map from your backpacking supplier, I was going to verify the location of the maps but their website was too slow.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1

rafe
03-01-2008, 12:15
ATC maps. Buy the whole kit direct from ATC (online) or buy "just what you need" from your local outfitter...

Blissful
03-01-2008, 12:23
ATC maps. Buy the whole kit direct from ATC (online) or buy "just what you need" from your local outfitter...

Ditto. Best out there and worth the money.

dessertrat
03-01-2008, 17:15
Carry the maps. Worth their weight, definitely.

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2008, 17:34
You want the ATC maps for the most parts. They describe official AT springs and various side trails & AT access points.

The AT in the Smokies are exclusive to National Geographic maps. They really do not show springs except at shelters. I would also look into the ATC guides or the AT Companion.