PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Stores

wally
03-01-2008, 13:39
I'm planning on hiking the trail next year, but as i'm from the uk i was going 2 buy some of my kit (like the stove) when i get into the states so i can be sure that fuel will be compatible.

does anyone have any recommendations for good outdoor stores in or around atlanta?

tucker0104
03-01-2008, 13:42
REI is in Atlanta and their stores are always pretty good.

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 13:50
Consider using a Super Cat stove instead of buying one. They're great for the A.T.

Of course, everything is going to be very cheap in terms of converted pounds.

Doughnut
03-01-2008, 13:54
Mountain Crossings in Dahlonega is a great bet for anything trail related,

DoughNut

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-01-2008, 14:15
Another vote for Mountain Crossings.

As for a stove - make an alcohol stove like the super cat. They are easy to make and likely the best stoves for a thru-hike -- light, low-maintenance, and fuel (denatured alcohol) can be found almost anywhere.

LIhikers
03-01-2008, 18:44
If by any chance you'll be flying into New York's JFK airport you aren't very far from Campmor in New Jersey. You can check out their web site before hand at www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) I know it's not what you asked but thought I'd offer it as an option anyway.

kayak karl
03-01-2008, 19:01
Another vote for Mountain Crossings.

As for a stove - make an alcohol stove like the super cat. They are easy to make and likely the best stoves for a thru-hike -- light, low-maintenance, and fuel (denatured alcohol) can be found almost anywhere.
i second that, everclear works well too.:-? do they have that in the UK
http://hikinghq.net/cat/cat_stove.html

scope
03-01-2008, 19:07
High Country Outfitters is a high end choice but they carry some gear that REI does not. REI is really spotty for breadth of product - its like if they can't get what they want for profit on it, they don't sell it. Its probably the best store to buy something if you can get it there, though, due to their satisfaction policy. If there are 2 or 3 pieces of gear you're not quite sure about which way to go, Mountain Crossings is going to be your best bet. They don't carry everything, but everything they do carry is exactly what you'd want on the AT, and you know you'll get folks who know what they're talking about.

I've bought from online retailers like Backcountry.com, CampSaver.com, and Campmor.com and have been very pleased with their satisfaction policies as well. Just that you can't touch and feel it as you're buying it, but a great way to save some dough.

Almost There
03-01-2008, 19:31
Guys, the dude is flying in from the UK, and you suggest he drives 70 some miles up to Mountain Crossing from Atlanta??? If he flys into Atlanta and he's looking for a stove and fuel, REI will carry plenty of choices and it's easy to get to.

Wally, if you fly into Atlanta and are going to be picked up by the Hiker Hostel at the North Springs MARTA station, then take the train to the Perimeter station, get off, walk the quarter mile down Abernathy road to REI, get your stove and fuel, then walk back to the station wait and get on the next train heading north, your next stop will be the end of the line where the Hostel would pick you up.

If you're renting a car then it would be a whole nother deal? Good luck, I hope to go and hike Hadrian's Wall in your neck of the woods hopefully in the next few years!