PDA

View Full Version : Linville Falls Question

brotheral
03-01-2008, 17:15
When does the Nat'l Park Service campground at Linville Falls open for the season ??
Happy Trails.........BrotherAL

Roots
03-01-2008, 17:17
Most of the Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds open mid May. I believe that campground is on the same system.

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2008, 17:28
I believe the campground operates late May to mid Oct. But if you venture off of the Park Service section of the falls into the Pisgah area or private campgrounds, you can camp anytime of the year. But I believe you will need to get a camping permit for the Pisgah section.

There is a great family campground that I used to go to south of Linville Falls if you want to go earlier. Bear Den Campground is about 15 minutes or so south on the parkway. They have offer car camping areas to rustic cabins. They only close down a few weeks out of the year.

bjj4287
03-01-2008, 21:25
i went up there like 2 weeks ago and all of the camp sites were closed EXCEPT the campsites in the linville falls wilderness area... you dont need a permit or anything there

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2008, 02:49
i went up there like 2 weeks ago and all of the camp sites were closed EXCEPT the campsites in the linville falls wilderness area... you dont need a permit or anything there
Yes and no...

Free permits are required for camping only on weekends and holidays from May 1-Oct. 31. Permits are not required Nov. 1-April 30 or for visitors who do not stay overnight.
Reservations are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis, beginning the first working day of each previous month. For example, reservations for wilderness camping permits for June are accepted starting the first working day of May. Permits can be obtained at the Nebo Grandfather Forest Office.

But it is a strange policy to ask for weekend campers to register for a permit during half the year. Does Pisgah actually enforce this?

Wilson
03-02-2008, 09:44
I think its a token attempt to limit the number of people in there, Its real popular with the climbers. They roadside camp a lot. Looked like semi permanent campers with old school buses and stuff like that.
It was a requirement as far back as the 80's that I can remember. Maybe even before that. I never got one, never heard of it being enforced, could be wrong.

Years ago they had pictures and posters at the trailheads of a young man that disappeared in there.

Sly
03-02-2008, 10:28
Anyone know if the state went ahead and paved the road on the western side? Lots of controversy since it's a wilderness area.

BR360
03-02-2008, 19:26
The National Park Service Campground, part of the Blue Ridge PArkway system, is open only from May to the end of October. Reservations can be made for portions of this campgound on-line at RECREATION.gov or by calling 1-877-444 6777.

Backcountry permits are ONLY required for the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area on weekends during May 1 to Oct. 31. Administered by the USFS (828) 652-484l/2144. Group size cannot exceed 10 people. No permits required for day use.

The adjoining Pisgah National Forest allows "dispersed" roadside camping and "anywhere" back country camping.

The purpose of the Wilderness Area permits is to reduce heavy use during the weekends on the few camping sites. Due to the steep and rugged terrain of the Gorge, there are not that many usable campsites (unless you are camping at trailheads, or some of the few flat-ish places along the river and ridgetops of the Gorge). Hammocking is widely available, and stealth camping is possible.

Primary trailheads on the east side (Sitting Bear, Hawksbill, Table Rock) get heavy, heavy use during the spring thru late fall season, but little use during the winter months, which is why the permit season is what it is.

The permit system is Definitely enforced on an irregular basis. Because the US Forest Service, which administers the LG Wilderness Area, does not have the funds / manpower to enforce this policy consistently, it is sporadic, but they WILL issue and have issued tickets each year. Fines are up to $5000.00 or up to 6 months in jail.

Roadside camping is possible along both ridge roads, FS 210 on the east side, and NC 1238 (Kistler Memorial Highway) on the west. The picnic area at Table Rock has a small area that is just outside the Wilderness area that tends to collect 6-12 'backcountry" type tent campers each weekend during the spring thru the fall. Other campers and hikers tend to spread out along the road. Backpackers either go on into the gorge (with permits), or descend into the adjacent Steels Creek basin, which has many great campsites along a beautiful creek with awesome waterfalls (all along the Mount5ains to Sea Trail).

Sly, the state has deferred paving NC 1238 (Kistler Highway). Although there is continual talk for over 30 years of doing it, chances are low; for one thing, there is more pressure to protect and expand the Wilderness Area. Last year, an additional 600+ acres were purchased by the USFS of an undeveloped parcel south of the Gorge. Further, NC state Parks has purchased almost 1600+ acres in the "almost adjacent" lands on Lake James which they will develop as an addition to Lake James State Park. The Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy are working to get the Bald Knob lands just SW of the Gorge into a protected status, and paving the road would be out of the question.

I suspect that there is little reason to think that this will change, since there are not really any financial interests that will benefit from paving it, except the road-builder that would be contracted to do the work.

(Never doubt the powerful stupidity of political bribery!)

BTW, I was just up there for an overnight on Shortoff this past Wednesday. The forest fire of last year was devastating, but nature is healing itself. Despite the 2500+ acres burned on Shortoff, there were several areas that were spared. It is a stark beauty. The snow against the charred tree remnants was a high-contrast vision.

brotheral
03-02-2008, 19:58
Thanks for the info everyone !! BR 360; I did my very 1st backpacking trip on the Babel Tower trail 10 years ago. We camped at Linville falls and went to the NPS Visitor cabin on the road to Wiseman's View. There was an older fella there who'd been quoted in Backpacker Magazine. Real nice guy. We talked for awhile and got some hard candy. That's where we made our decision to do that trail. Believe me, I was prepared for anything Old Mother Nature could throw at us. 60 lbs worth :rolleyes:. It wasn't too bad going down into the gorge, but coming out I had a terrible struggle. Had to laugh at myself... But that's how you learn. I've been back to that area many times. It's so beautiful. Hikes to summit of Tablerock and Hawksbill, Mount Mitchell, .... Meals at Louise's Famous Rockhouse...
Happy Trails !!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

BR360
03-02-2008, 22:09
.... Meals at Louise's Famous Rockhouse...

LOL, I stopped by there and had a great breakfast at 11:00 am on my way to Roan! $6.00 for 2 eggs, bacon, grits and biscuits! UMMMM!:)

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2008, 22:19
Is it the the road leading up to Table Rock from NC 181 at Ripshin Ridge. I heard its pretty graded up to the Rec Area. Gates won't open till April though.

BR360
03-02-2008, 23:10
Is it the the road leading up to Table Rock (TR) from NC 181 at Ripshin Ridge. I heard its pretty graded up to the Rec Area. Gates won't open till April though.

The road to the Picnic Area does not open until the winter weather clears, usually late March-first of April.

What follows are details for getting to the picnic area. Skip if irrelevant to you.

There are 3 ways to get to the final paved section leading to the Table Rock Picnic / Parking Area, all off NC 181 out of Morganton.

Going North from Morganton, the first option is to take Rose Creek Road. The Forest Service Fish Hatchery sign is the landmark for this road. After about 1 mile, turn right on the dirt/gravel road to continue on Rose Crk Rd. After about 12 miles, you will have to turn off Rose Crk Rd (L) onto FR 2105 to get to TR.

The second option is to turn (L) off of NC 181 onto FR 496, a dirt/gravel road. (Across NC 181 from the FR 496 junction, there is a parking area for the Upper Creek section trailhead for the Mountains-to-Sea-Trail .) FR 496 has no visible signage to direct you to TR. Skirting the headwaters of Steels Creek, FR 496 goes for about 6 miles to intersect Rose Crk Rd.

Continuing North on NC 181, you will pass on the Right the Signed entrance to the Upper Creek Falls, with a large parking area able to hold maybe 25 cars. (There is a nice 1 mile trail to a beautiful waterfall here.)

You will pass the USFS Bark House picnic area on the left.

The third option is to turn Left into Gingercake Acres; you'll see another sign for Linville Gorge Wilderness Area and Table Rock Picnic Area. This is a paved road (NC 1265) for about a mile through the Gingercake Acres homesite development. Soon NC 1265 turns into FR 210, which skirts the eastern border of Linville Gorge Wilderness Area, passing several parking areas: Sitting Bear, Hawksbill, and Spence Ridge, in order from N to S. After about 4-5 miles, you will see the sign for the Table Rock Picnic Area. Turn L onto this road, FR 2105. Ascend this for about 1.3 miles, passing the Outward Bound School entrance on the R.

Continue another mile to the gated FR 99 (open approx. April 1 to Nov. 31), which is paved and ascends the final 1.5 miles to the TR picnic area.