PDA

View Full Version : Does Posting a Gear Real help?

Wolf - 23000
03-01-2008, 19:10
It seems like everyday someone new is posting a list of some type. My question is how much do they really help? Everyone has his or her own personal preference on what gear is right or wrong for them. Therefore, how can someone the person has more than likely never met before; tell them what he or she needs? If someone is using one sleeping bag over another, one backpack over another, one stove over another … would it make sense they know it and have their own reasons.

I have been backpacking for a while and have never found someone listing their gear helpful. I just like to know if someone out there when out and spent several hundred of dollars because someone recommended using one piece of equipment over another.:-?

Wolf

Heater
03-01-2008, 19:15
It seems like everyday someone new is posting a list of some type. My question is how much do they really help? Everyone has his or her own personal preference on what gear is right or wrong for them. Therefore, how can someone the person has more than likely never met before; tell them what he or she needs? If someone is using one sleeping bag over another, one backpack over another, one stove over another … would it make sense they know it and have their own reasons.

I have been backpacking for a while and have never found someone listing their gear helpful. I just like to know if someone out there when out and spent several hundred of dollars because someone recommended using one piece of equipment over another.:-?
Wolf

I find gear lists very helpful. Especially from the more experienced backpackers.

Care to post yours?

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 19:19
It helps newbies a lot. I never posted my gear list before thru-hiking but intensely studied others' lists and the suggestions that were made about them. My pack was still too heavy but it was mostly because I carried too much food, not because of my gear and didn't really address the food issues until Franklin. You can learn a lot about yourself based on what how and why is in your pack.

Lyle
03-01-2008, 19:24
Personally I have learned quite a bit. I don't live near enough to attend many trail functions, so it is difficult to compare my equipment to what is new out there. Particularly with the prevalence of cottage industry players that you would never see at a typical outfitter or sporting goods.

I have never actually submitted my list, but by reviewing other's and seeing alternatives that folks recommend, I have made a number of decisions about my own gear. Sgt. Rock's recommendation of the pant liners is a case in point. Where else would I have heard of these?

Granted, not everyone needs to submit, but having a number of them on a regular basis definitely plays a useful role.

Heater
03-01-2008, 19:29
Personally I have learned quite a bit. I don't live near enough to attend many trail functions, so it is difficult to compare my equipment to what is new out there. Particularly with the prevalence of cottage industry players that you would never see at a typical outfitter or sporting goods.

I have never actually submitted my list, but by reviewing other's and seeing alternatives that folks recommend, I have made a number of decisions about my own gear. Sgt. Rock's recommendation of the pant liners is a case in point. Where else would I have heard of these?

Granted, not everyone needs to submit, but having a number of them on a regular basis definitely plays a useful role.

Yeah. When you live in a different climate the gear lists of those that have experienced hikes elsewhere can be helpful.

rafe
03-01-2008, 19:48
Helpful to whom? I think it can be instructive to at least consider the pros and cons of various bits of gear and packing strategies. There's no perfect list. Hopefully most folks understand that.

Frosty
03-01-2008, 20:00
Therefore, how can someone the person has more than likely never met before; tell them what he or she needs?Why do you have to know someone to analyze a situation?

How well do you have to know a person who has two pairs of fleece pants, nylon pants, rain pants and zip-off pants to tell them they don't need all those pants?

Do you need to know a person to tell them they don't need a 4-D-cell flashlight, that more than three pairs of socks aren't needed, that a 45* bag for a Feb start is a bad idea?

I see what you are saying, and we all have prefererces, but the person is askig, "You who have done this, what would you do in this situation?" Then they can make up their own mind, based on their personal preferences. But really, for someone who has never hiked before, how do they even know what their preferences are?

I don't think anyone blindly follows advice given here - they could not, as advice is usually contradictory. But at least they are armed with knowledge to help make decisions.

My 2 cents

Frosty
03-01-2008, 20:04
I have been backpacking for a while and have never found someone listing their gear helpful. I just like to know if someone out there when out and spent several hundred of dollars because someone recommended using one piece of equipment over another.:-? Sorry for double post. Accidently sent the other one before i finished.

I've been backpacking quite a while, also, and would not be helped by anyone critiquing my gear. But in 1972, it would have helped me quite a bit, I think.

I doubt if the people listing gear are long-time backpackers.

ps I bought a tarptent without a floor based on what someone said to someone else. It was a great decision.

aaroniguana
03-01-2008, 20:06
I helped me. I can't read every post is every thread and perhaps read that there are better alternative to the gear I've assembled. I got varying points of view, some if which I am investigating. I also got several opinions that not carrying a specific type of gear was a mistake, which I ignored because I have my preference.

There is a wealth of experience here from which you can always walk away wtih a nugget of gold. Even if you are an experienced hiker, as I am.

error
03-01-2008, 20:24
There is a wealth of experience here from which you can always walk away wtih a nugget of gold. Even if you are an experienced hiker, as I am.

There are plenty of nuggets of gold here. You just have to pick them out from underneath all the steaming piles of dung. :D

Tipi Walter
03-01-2008, 20:49
The only time I study gear lists is when someone is using a piece of gear I used to use or am using now and I want to get a quick review from them. I know pretty much what I want to carry and if I'm looking to upgrade an item I'll get on a gear test website or a gear review site.

The endless listing of gear down to Q-tips and the gram weight of underwear just isn't interesting, and often it's just a silly attempt to placate the UL fanatics and gram weenies. And without food and water it's all pretty far removed from real-world conditions.

And anyway, who is gonna list the two books they want to bring or the 6 candles? Or the big can of Dinty Moore stew?

Wolf - 23000
03-01-2008, 21:14
Why do you have to know someone to analyze a situation?

How well do you have to know a person who has two pairs of fleece pants, nylon pants, rain pants and zip-off pants to tell them they don't need all those pants?

Do you need to know a person to tell them they don't need a 4-D-cell flashlight, that more than three pairs of socks aren't needed, that a 45* bag for a Feb start is a bad idea?

I see what you are saying, and we all have prefererces, but the person is askig, "You who have done this, what would you do in this situation?" Then they can make up their own mind, based on their personal preferences. But really, for someone who has never hiked before, how do they even know what their preferences are?

I don't think anyone blindly follows advice given here - they could not, as advice is usually contradictory. But at least they are armed with knowledge to help make decisions.

My 2 cents

Frosty,

Every hiker at some point carries extra items. To answer your question, “How well do you have to know a person who has two pairs of fleece pants, nylon pants, rain pants and zip-off pants to tell them they don't need all those pants?” most hikers here would not carry that many paints of course but some may feel they do need them. Some hikers get cold easy and carrying the extra clothing gives them a feeling of comfort. Using a 4-D cell flashlight also provides more light compare you most headlamps or it could be a matter of cost.

A 45* bag in Feb could be a matter of cost. To someone with a limited budget who could not afford two bags (summer and winter) add in the extra clothing or alternative method, a 45* degree could work in some areas to someone who knows what they are doing.

If it is just a matter of weight control, all this stuff could also be learn from a Campmor catalog. The part that other hikers can’t know and directly depends on how much gear someone carries is the person hiking style and comfort level. Some hikers may need a 0* bag even in the summer others can use something as light as a 50* bag or less.

Wouldn’t a general guideline be just as helpful to say carry only 1 extra set of clothes or your going to need a 0 – 20 degree sleeping bag starting off be just as helpful?

I started back in 1989 without the guidelines of others experience. The only former thru-hike I meet, I end up getting some advise that wasn't very helpful. Looking back at my last hike walking southbound Hot Spring, NC to Springer Mountain, it seem like I ran into a lot of hikers who in their efforts to save weight were freezing during the day or at night.

Wolf

rafe
03-01-2008, 21:36
I started back in 1989 without the guidelines of others experience.

Even in '89 there were useful resources, including the huge Rodale Press anthology, Darrel Maret's Philosophers Guide, Colin Fletcher, and the ATC handbook. True, we had to buy the books or find them in the library; no google back then. :eek: I remember working on my gear list for many months, and about a dozen shakedown hikes, arriving after much effort with a 24 lb. base weight. :rolleyes:

Lyle
03-01-2008, 21:40
Frosty,

Every hiker at some point carries extra items. To answer your question, “How well do you have to know a person who has two pairs of fleece pants, nylon pants, rain pants and zip-off pants to tell them they don't need all those pants?” most hikers here would not carry that many paints of course but some may feel they do need them. Some hikers get cold easy and carrying the extra clothing gives them a feeling of comfort. Using a 4-D cell flashlight also provides more light compare you most headlamps or it could be a matter of cost.

A 45* bag in Feb could be a matter of cost. To someone with a limited budget who could not afford two bags (summer and winter) add in the extra clothing or alternative method, a 45* degree could work in some areas to someone who knows what they are doing.

If it is just a matter of weight control, all this stuff could also be learn from a Campmor catalog. The part that other hikers can’t know and directly depends on how much gear someone carries is the person hiking style and comfort level. Some hikers may need a 0* bag even in the summer others can use something as light as a 50* bag or less.

Wouldn’t a general guideline be just as helpful to say carry only 1 extra set of clothes or your going to need a 0 – 20 degree sleeping bag starting off be just as helpful?

I started back in 1989 without the guidelines of others experience. The only former thru-hike I meet, I end up getting some advise that wasn't very helpful. Looking back at my last hike walking southbound Hot Spring, NC to Springer Mountain, it seem like I ran into a lot of hikers who in their efforts to save weight were freezing during the day or at night.

Wolf

Wolf,

I don't know you although we did stay at the Pine Knob Shelter in MD together back in '06. I do know that you hike ultra light. Your implied (I think) point is well taken that it would be irresponsible to advise an inexperienced person to carry a pack like yours. It would also be inappropriate to view someone's pack and start critiquing it while on the trail without invitation.

However, here online, these folks are asking to get everyone's opinion. As was pointed out, they will not receive just one, but many viewpoints as to what is or is not required. It is rightfully up to the individual to then decide what is desired, based on their own experience or situation (financial, skills, metabolism). I have seen very few instances where people were recommending what would be considered a reckless/dangerous pack and if they did, others jump in and point it out.

I do agree, sometimes people go overboard in the detail, but even in those situations, some tips about fine tuning can be learned before a hike starts instead of later. I guess I feel there is no harm in being detail oriented if they feel like it. I don't see this as being necessary, but neither is it harmful.

You're right, some advice may not work for everyone, but that doesn't mean that NO advice would be better (if it's asked for). At least not in the vast majority of situations.

As always, my $0.02 worth.

slow
03-01-2008, 21:45

Wolf

100%. RIGHT YOU ARE.:)

Wolf - 23000
03-01-2008, 22:16
Even in '89 there were useful resources, including the huge Rodale Press anthology, Darrel Maret's Philosophers Guide, Colin Fletcher, and the ATC handbook. True, we had to buy the books or find them in the library; no google back then. :eek: I remember working on my gear list for many months, and about a dozen shakedown hikes, arriving after much effort with a 24 lb. base weight. :rolleyes:

Your right. There were useful resources back than but I didn't know of any. I started off carrying a data book that was ten years old that I found on sale at the library for 50 cents. Don't laugh to hard but I didn't think the trail would change or even knew anything about relocations. :eek:

I learn everything on trail. I picked up the Philosophers Guide in VT.

Would it have helped me if I would have read Colin Fletcher, The Philosophers Guide or other book ... maybe in the beginning but I don't believe I would be hiking the same way I do now. I would be hike more like them rather than the way I do now.

Wolf

Mr. Parkay
03-01-2008, 22:21
It seems to me that the gear lists are extremely useful for beginner hikers, with a critical eye, who are looking for relevant information about thu-hiker gear. In fact, it is one of the best sources anywhere on the internet for this kind of thing.

Of course, the lists will be less useful to more experienced hikers. But it doesn't matter how many miles one has, there's always new tips to be learned and improved gear that will inevitably make an appearance on the lists, making the knowledgeable hiker even more knowledgeable.

error
03-01-2008, 22:33
It seems to me that the gear lists are extremely useful for beginner hikers, with a critical eye, who are looking for relevant information about thu-hiker gear. In fact, it is one of the best sources anywhere on the internet for this kind of thing.

Of course, the lists will be less useful to more experienced hikers. But it doesn't matter how many miles one has, there's always new tips to be learned and improved gear that will inevitably make an appearance on the lists, making the knowledgeable hiker even more knowledgeable.

There's one of those nuggets of gold now. :sun

I use gear lists for just this reason: to find out what others are using and evaluate whether the items are something I might want also. Also, reading between the lines, to evaluate what to leave behind.

Wolf - 23000
03-01-2008, 22:48
Wolf,

I don't know you although we did stay at the Pine Knob Shelter in MD together back in '06. I do know that you hike ultra light. Your implied (I think) point is well taken that it would be irresponsible to advise an inexperienced person to carry a pack like yours. It would also be inappropriate to view someone's pack and start critiquing it while on the trail without invitation.

However, here online, these folks are asking to get everyone's opinion. As was pointed out, they will not receive just one, but many viewpoints as to what is or is not required. It is rightfully up to the individual to then decide what is desired, based on their own experience or situation (financial, skills, metabolism). I have seen very few instances where people were recommending what would be considered a reckless/dangerous pack and if they did, others jump in and point it out.

I do agree, sometimes people go overboard in the detail, but even in those situations, some tips about fine tuning can be learned before a hike starts instead of later. I guess I feel there is no harm in being detail oriented if they feel like it. I don't see this as being necessary, but neither is it harmful.

You're right, some advice may not work for everyone, but that doesn't mean that NO advice would be better (if it's asked for). At least not in the vast majority of situations.

As always, my $0.02 worth.

Lyle,

I use to spend a lot of time camping out on the trail back in 2003-06 around that area. I am surprise you remember meeting me but ok. My post was more directed towards posting a gear list in general than for myself.

As you said the folks are asking to get everyone opinion and everyone has one, some good … some not so good but rather than worrying about the way everyone else does things shouldn’t you worry about how your own way of doing things. If you ask the advice on any piece of equipment, I can tell you already some people are going to like it others are going to hate it. Is that really helpful.

Maybe it is coming from my own experience with just doing things my own way and letting others do things their. Rather than worrying about what others think of your equipment worrying about what you think.

Wolf

weary
03-01-2008, 23:20

Wolf
"Does Posting a Gear Real help?"
What in the world does "Does Posting a Gear Real help?" mean?

It would help if folks starting a thread would take a few seconds to make sure that their title makes sense. I truly find it hard to take seriously a thread in which the starter doesn't take any care in choosing a title.

Weary

rafe
03-01-2008, 23:32
Maybe it is coming from my own experience with just doing things my own way and letting others do things their. Rather than worrying about what others think of your equipment worrying about what you think.

No matter how much you know, or think you know, there's always more to learn. I had been reasonably content with my gear -- but a couple years back, I just decided that I needed to lighten up a bit. I "complained" about my pack weight on AT-L. I was asked to post a list. Wham! I got shot to pieces. My ego was bruised a bit, but no big deal. I started shopping around, reading, trying out new stuff, making do with a bit less. Half the new stuff I bought didn't work out. (Eg., I never could get comfortable with an alcohol stove.) Cčst la vie. I'm glad I made the effort; it needed doing. It was time.

Metaphor Man
03-03-2008, 12:17
This newbie has learned something from every gearlist I've read. I can't see (for me) how rethinking my choices at this stage has any negative side. But, of course, after the dry runs come the tests on the trail. My personal knowledge will then have been built on the shoulders of others who have gone before me. I think I will be better for it.

GratefulHike
03-03-2008, 14:21
Yes they do help!!! I posted my list a couple weeks ago and was able to take some of the information and use it to lighten my pack. Some of the advise given (no offense ShelterBuilder) was to not take my favorite elixir with me, that ain't happening, but some of the other suggestions really made a difference.

Call me a gram weenie or what you will, but my post has everything weighed out to the gram including food and water. How I do food is simple. I plan out a menu, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks as if I knew what I was going to eat everyday I was out. Then I eat what I want when I want, but I know I have enough food for my trip.

So in total my last post of my gear list saved me about 5lbs in weight. I started out about 3 years ago with a 50lbs plus pack, now down to 30 fully loaded.

max patch
03-03-2008, 15:56
I thru'd using a wooden staff I got free from the woods.

When I returned I was going to buy some "trekking poles" and try them out.

Until I read something Weary posted about the damage they caused to the trail.

I researched furthur, concluded Weary was correct, and didn't buy the stupid things.

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2008, 18:12
Did Weary say that a wooden hiking staff causes less damage than a trekking pole?

Sly
03-03-2008, 18:18
Did Weary say that a wooden hiking staff causes less damage than a trekking pole?

Oh yeah, we've been through this several times over the years. In the past 10 years, with an increase of aluminum trekking poles, I haven't noticed an appreciable increase in damage, other maintainers agree, but he differs.

Egads
03-03-2008, 19:57
If a newbie posts their gearlist and that prevents a Darwin event, it is a very valuable exercise.

Do not misunderstand me when I say this (I certainly don't have all the answers), but I am amazed by some of the naive questions I see posted here. It makes you want to help a brother or sister out.

On the other hand, some of the more experienced guys have really helped me think through my gear selections and my techniques. It is unfortunate that many of them are not posting here anymore. Perhaps they're out hiking or have grown bored with Whiteblaze.

(However, one of the more experienced guys who is still posting is not willing to share any of his knowledge, so I consider this thread to be in character)

Egads

Montego
03-04-2008, 01:07
Unfortunately, life got in the way of life and I've been away from my backpacking passion for a few years. In the time that I have been away from backpacking, newer and lighter gear have become the 'norm' as well as additional items that were not available a few years back.

Now that I'm a bit older and am on a budget, the posted gear lists have been an immense help in educating me not only about what current backpackers are using but also what is being used in the Eastern climate (more rainfall, higher humidity, etc.), and to 'kit up' without breaking the bank.

Though I'm not a weight weenie, by using the information posted from other gear lists, I have also been able to lighten my pack load by discarding useless or redundant items that would not be needed specifically for the AT.

So for me, yes, gear lists and the critiques of them provided by the 'veterans' of WB are a valuable source of information.

NorthCountryWoods
03-04-2008, 10:47
No matter how much you know, or think you know, there's always more to learn.

x2.

The op would like us all to know how much tougher he had it. :rolleyes: