PDA

View Full Version : Mail drops or wing it?

winger
03-01-2008, 19:26
While I see seem of the advantages of mail ahead supply drops I am curious as to who as done without that tactic?And if so, how did it go?

error
03-01-2008, 19:33
I'm personally keeping mail drops to a minimum, though I might use a bounce box a few times.

The only real mail drop I am expecting is a shipment of Vegemite from Australia which should be waiting for me later this month in Hiawassee, if Customs doesn't seize it.

rafe
03-01-2008, 19:43
Keep 'em to a minimum. Use 'em for "special needs" and stuff you're pretty sure you can't get locally.

Appalachian Tater
03-01-2008, 19:50
Given your name definitely wing it. There are only a couple of places where they are nice to have and nowhere are they necessary.

Mr. Parkay
03-01-2008, 20:30
I agree with Tater, there's no reason to do mail drops if you don't want to. I was able to find plenty of food at all of the main trail stops, without sending any mail drops, so winging it wasn't a problem at all. The only problem arises if you are picky eater or have special dietary needs. Winging it works fine on the PCT too, but I know that's a little off topic.

charmcityboys
03-01-2008, 20:34
Is it cheaper to buy ahead rather than along the trail? Or does the postage make maildrops just as expensive?

rafe
03-01-2008, 20:41
Is it cheaper to buy ahead rather than along the trail?

Maybe, in theory. But then, the majority of folks don't finish their thru-hikes. And others find that their tastes and appetite change along the way. So you may find that you've packed 15+ drops, each containing various items that you've been sick of since Fontana.

Mr. Parkay
03-01-2008, 20:52
Is it cheaper to buy ahead rather than along the trail? Or does the postage make maildrops just as expensive?

Well, I bet mail drops are cheaper than buying everything on the trail... even after you take shipping into consideration. Since you can buy everything in bulk and you won't be faced with as much temptation to buy expensive food every time you are in a grocery store. Although, for me, the cost savings aren't enough to outweigh the logistical hassle of creating dozens of mail drops in advance. I've always seen mail drops as just too much work, and I don't like having to constantly be on a "schedule" where I'm forced to make decisions based on where my mail drops are and when the Post office is open.

Blissful
03-01-2008, 21:21
Many of the drops can now be sent to hostels and motels, negating in a good many instances (but not all) the PO factor. And as far as drops altering your schedule, they can be held for a long time. We had one held for a month d/t an injury. Drops are great if you have someone on the homefront who can pack for you and select goodies, pack up pre made dried dinners with better overall nutrition, etc. So it is never boring in that respect while I would think ramen and potatoes and noodles as standard hiker fare picked up at grocery stores would get real old. I like a combination myself - buying lunch, buying a few breakfast like oatmeal and dried fruit (but mailing homemade granola), mailing homemade nutrition bars (but buying candy), and mailing dinners (with maybe one or two noodle packet stuff picked up for emergency)

Adequate nutriiton so you can hike and make this thing is paramount and usually neglected.

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-02-2008, 01:03
I had no mail drops for my thru in 2006. This worked really well for me & I would do it the same way again. I'm not a very fussy eater though & am happy to hike for 4 days on the food you can buy in a gas station !

A bounce box is useful if you don't have someone at home who can mail out new maps, winter gear for the Whites etc.

Hey Error, good to hear that someone recognises the nutritional value of Vegemite....and the great taste ....ha ha :sun

Cheers,

Kaptain

error
03-02-2008, 01:45
A bounce box is useful if you don't have someone at home who can mail out new maps, winter gear for the Whites etc.

I live two hours from Hanover so I can just go home and change out my gear when I get there.

Hey Error, good to hear that someone recognises the nutritional value of Vegemite....and the great taste ....ha ha :sun

I never would have tried Vegemite if some thick-headed U.S. Customs people hadn't started seizing it from people entering the country (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/10/24/us-bans-vegemite/). I'm the sort of person that, when I heard that, immediately asked somebody in Australia to mail me some (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/11/01/vegemite-ban-update/). When it got here, of course I had to try it. And, strangely enough I like it!

Footslogger
03-02-2008, 10:05
Actually ...going without maildrops is not really "winging it". They make life a tad easier in a few places but more hikers than not just re-supply along the trail these days.

'Slogger

Tinker
03-02-2008, 10:18
There aren't too many surprises along the trail if you use guidebooks and "thruhiker guides". "Winging it" might be just what someone needs to make the trip more interesting and adventurous. Personally, if and when I get the time to thru, I'll probably carry a "thruhiker guide", exchange cold weather gear for warm weather gear somewhere north of Mt. Rogers, and have it mailed back to me south of the White Mountains (if I do a NOBO).
Other than that, I may have Esbit tabs sent to me a few places in the mail. That's about it. I'd like to think that I can "make do" with what supplies I'd find along the trail.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 10:24
While I see seem of the advantages of mail ahead supply drops I am curious as to who as done without that tactic?And if so, how did it go?

totally wing it. i never do mail drops for food

gungho
03-02-2008, 10:34
I will probably do a couple of mail drops along the way. There are certain foods I like to take with me that you can't just find anywhere. But like some have said,my cravings might change and then I might be sick of the foods I am mailing to my self:-?

Grampie
03-02-2008, 10:46
One factor that a lot of potential thru-hikers don't consider before they prepare a lot of mail drops, is: 80% of those who start don't finish. What will you do with all the hiker food after you stop hiking?
I often read of folks who plan mail drops for every resupply before they start. I think these folks make a big mistake. First off, your eating habits will change. You probably will not want to eat a lot of stuff you send. Hiker boxs all full of food that folks don't want to carry out of a post office. You will probably send yourself more food than you will need or want to carry.
This is only my opinion.
During my thru in 01 I did meet two hikers, Tuna and Wolfboy, who brought food for their whole hike before they left and sent out food drops for their whole hike. They only ate tuna fish and corn macorini. I last saw Tuna in Maine and he was still eating the stuff. Wolfboy had left the trail.
I guess my point is: Listen to all, figure out what's best for you and than hike your own hike.:sun

winger
03-02-2008, 20:44
I was leaning towards just winging it and I probably will, but my only other question would be how to find those special backpacking lightweight dehydrated specialty meals? Are there enough places, in trail towns, where a hiker can find what he needs and not be overly burdened with heavy store bought foods?

Appalachian Tater
03-02-2008, 20:52
I was leaning towards just winging it and I probably will, but my only other question would be how to find those special backpacking lightweight dehydrated specialty meals? Are there enough places, in trail towns, where a hiker can find what he needs and not be overly burdened with heavy store bought foods? Most of the outfitters have them, otherwise you need to buy food at a grocery store. Mountain House dehydrated meals are good, but you would get tired of eating them everyday, and many hikers cannot afford them, especially paying full retail plus tax in the outfitters. Look in the food forum for ideas.

max patch
03-02-2008, 21:00
definitly wingfoot it.

bigcranky
03-02-2008, 21:20
I was leaning towards just winging it and I probably will, but my only other question would be how to find those special backpacking lightweight dehydrated specialty meals? Are there enough places, in trail towns, where a hiker can find what he needs and not be overly burdened with heavy store bought foods?

Those special lightweight backpacker meals are kind of expensive for a thru-hike. You can get them at outfitters in town without too much trouble, though.

Store-bought foods don't have to be heavy. There's other threads on WB right now that talk about what to eat on the trail. You might check some of those.

Yahtzee
03-02-2008, 21:52
I'd maildrop Fontana. Beyond that wing it.

Nightwalker
03-02-2008, 22:11
Given your name definitely wing it. There are only a couple of places where they are nice to have and nowhere are they necessary.

Fontana, maybe? There's only a convenience store there.

Yahtzee
03-02-2008, 22:17
You can get by on Fontana pickins. Just might not care to.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 22:40
Fontana, maybe? There's only a convenience store there.

there's plenty of food there to get by on

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 03:57
Wing it. :)

Peaks
03-03-2008, 08:58
There are definately some good reasons for maildrops:

Special foods, assuming that the usual hiker fare doesn't fit your needs.
Equipment change-outs (after Mt. Rodgers, and before the White Mountains)
Meds
Maps, guidebook pages, etc.

Chainsaw 08
03-04-2008, 10:03
Maildrops for maps, prescription meds, and the seasonal swap (switch to summer gear at Pearisburg, then back to winter at Manchester).

Other than that, wing it.

Chaco Taco
03-04-2008, 10:51
Im doing a drop at NOC to be able to avoid the craziness of Fontana. Also, Fontana is very expensive. I am going to do a gear swap after Mt Rogers and send stuff home when some friends come to visit then right before the Whites Im having my stuff sent back up and swapping. I am going for simplicity.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2008, 11:43
If nobody's yet mentioned it, there's an extensive piece in the "Articles" section of this website that'll give you a lot of information on Re-Supplying, and where you can purchase food while en route. Many folks have found this article useful.

Sly
03-04-2008, 12:44
and the seasonal swap (switch to summer gear at Pearisburg, then back to winter at Manchester).

Although that's common practice, I switched to a fleece blanket in Waynesboro and froze my butt in the Shenandoah's. I think most use Glencliff, NH to get cold weather gear back.

beas
03-14-2008, 23:10
Is the food at the Neel's gap stop all hiker dehydrated high dollar food or is there a grocery store?
My second stop will be at Hiawasse what are my options there? I have read to hitch a ride into town and shop then hitch back out.
IF I decide to do drops what are the locations that I should look to for drops? I think the post office may be last resort due to time schedules and maybe arriving on a Sat or Sun.

BEAS

Any options known

bigcranky
03-15-2008, 10:17
They have both -- an okay selection of hiker-friendly grocery store foods (Liptons etc.) and "backpacking" meals. The only thing that might be a problem is if a horde of thru-hikers wipes them out before you get there.