PDA

View Full Version : Cash & Credit

Jail Break
03-02-2008, 00:06
How much cash is reasonable to keep with you for a thru-hike? How often are you able to use credit cards?

ChinMusic
03-02-2008, 01:12
Others have posted that $50-100 in cash and a credit card will do.

Almost There
03-02-2008, 01:33
100 in cash at all times, if you spend cash pull out to even it when you hit a bank...I carry more for shuttles etc., but to each his/her own.

Sly
03-02-2008, 10:40
I like to carry at least $200 and draw $300 AT ATMs when I can't get cash from the PO or store using a debit card.

jersey joe
03-02-2008, 11:15
I think it is reasonable to carry $100. You can use credit and debit cards almost everywhere on the trail including some hostels. I used a credit card at uncle johnny's in Erwin and at Neels Gap(just two of may examples). You can also use debit cards at all post offices and get cash back. Not sure about Credit Cards and cash back though.

Appalachian Tater
03-02-2008, 13:51
$200, a debit card, a credit card, and a refillable phone card.

Most all of the hotels & motels, grocery stores, and larger restaurants take credit cards. Many of the hostels work on a cash basis and some of the smaller stores, restaurants, and bars are cash-type places, even if they accept credit cards.

whitelightning
03-02-2008, 14:12
Reading this thread just got me wondering if anybody still uses travelers checks. I used to use them many years ago when I was doing long road trips. At the time it seemed to be a good idea.

I'm considering carrying some during my upcoming thruhike. I'm just curious if anybody still uses them and if they ever have any trouble using them anywhere along the trail. My current plan is to carry a little cash, debit card, & credit card.

GitRdone
03-02-2008, 14:29
Reading this thread just got me wondering if anybody still uses travelers checks.

Travelers Checks would be good but, also check with your bank. Some have started using a card that acts the same as travelers checks but, you use like a debit card. ie: protection in case it gets lost or stolen. However, if you are somewhere that does not accept cards you might be in the same boat as with a credit or debit card.

JAK
03-02-2008, 15:19
I like to keep an eye on transaction fees, so I would plan on a single cash withdrawal once a week on my debit card, spending cash for everything, and leaving $20 at most in my pocket when I walked out of town, in case I came across a fruit stand or coffee shop or diner or something like that, either on my way out of town or on my way into the next one. My credit card would be for emergencies, equipment replacement, or if I happended to have to resupply some place that didn't take debit, and to pay for the trip back home. I think $100 per week would make for a very pleasant journey including some modest town money, and $1/mile would make for a pleasant yet frugal hike with more focus on the trail.

Sly
03-02-2008, 16:07
.... with more focus on the trail.

Towns are part of the trail experience.

fiddlehead
03-03-2008, 00:00
Reading this thread just got me wondering if anybody still uses travelers checks. I used to use them many years ago when I was doing long road trips. At the time it seemed to be a good idea.

I'm considering carrying some during my upcoming thruhike. I'm just curious if anybody still uses them and if they ever have any trouble using them anywhere along the trail. My current plan is to carry a little cash, debit card, & credit card.

Yes, i had trouble with traveler's checks. They got wet and the word "VOID" turned up on them! Really! no kidding.
I couldn't cash them. took a few weeks to get money back from them at a bank in a big town (i think it was Erwin, TN) (they got wet in the smokies and i found out they were not usable in Gatlinburg but it was the weekend and the banks were closed)
Never used them again.