PDA

View Full Version : How many Miles This Year?

Almost There
03-02-2008, 00:46
So here is the question, looking at the old packsniffer thread.

How many miles do you plan on hiking this year? Are you a real hiker...or a cyber hiker?:eek:

C'mon doesn't have to be one continuous hike, but how many miles do ya' think you'll get in this year?:D

I'll go first: 420-450 miles for sure with the small possibility, ok, tiny possibility of a SOBO Thru.

Lyle
03-02-2008, 01:05
I currently have plans for about 320 mi on the AT in two trips. Will be doing shorter weekend trips here in Michigan and am planning a fall trip to the Tahoe Rim Trail. No idea right now how many miles these other trips will be.

ChinMusic
03-02-2008, 01:11
250ish is about all I'll get in, if I'm lucky. 2 days here, 3 days there, maybe a week if a good trip comes up and I can take the time off. I'm pretty much relegated to being a weekend warrior until retirement. It is hard for me to take more than a week off at a time. I'd love to pull off a semi retirement in 5 years but time will tell.

error
03-02-2008, 01:58
About 2,200.

Roots
03-02-2008, 02:09
As of right now...at least 400 planned. But knowing us, much more. I'd say at least 500 by the end of '08. CAN NOT WAIT!!!! :banana

shwn354
03-02-2008, 02:29
about 2,150 if all goes well

Almost There
03-02-2008, 02:37
So far 40 views but only 5 are willing to man-up or woman-up as the case may be...very interesting.:-?

warraghiyagey
03-02-2008, 03:49
Currently I've done Katahdin to Dalton in '06 and Katahdin through Mt. Moosalauki in '07.
This year I've set aside to do roughly 2,176 miles plus any side trails (see blue blazes) that capture my attention, (Gulf Hagas Trail- I'm looking in your general direction).:sun

Matteroo
03-02-2008, 04:55
doing a lot of trails out here in Oregon where we just moved. I've probably done about 15 miles so far hiking in the Columbia River Gorge. Bucket and I are going out there tomorrow and will add another 5-10 to the list. I'd say by 1/1/09 we'll do 150-300 miles in weekend and day trip jazz?

Heater
03-02-2008, 05:05
300 or so.

SteveJ
03-02-2008, 06:48
250 - 300. About 30 in 2 weekends so far... 50-miler coming up next month - prolly won't be able to get out this month, so relegated to pack sniffin'.... plan to finish GA / some of TN w/ Scott this summer...

Phreak
03-02-2008, 09:04
1000 or so miles including the JMT in September.

Sly
03-02-2008, 09:28
140 At
2660 Pct

Hitch
03-02-2008, 09:43
Trying to get it done this year so 488 will do the trick.

Speer Carrier
03-02-2008, 09:58
About 200, joining a friend who is thru hiking, for a couple of weeks.

Rcarver
03-02-2008, 10:03
500 or so. just not all on the AT.

Sly
03-02-2008, 10:03
Trying to get it done this year so 488 will do the trick.

Hitch, you live in Grants? Do you happen to know Tom Bombadil, CDT trail angel. Great guy.

gungho
03-02-2008, 10:23
So far I only have about 250 miles planned,but hopefully my schedule will allow me to squeeze in a few more:)

Hammock Hanger
03-02-2008, 10:35
I had hoped for 1000, but due to knee issues I'm backing off a bit this spring/summer. Hoping for the best on my Fall hike across Spain. So, I'll guesitmate about 600+ this year.

gungho
03-02-2008, 10:41
1000 or so miles including the JMT in September.
So, what will you be doing the other 11 months:D

Pedaling Fool
03-02-2008, 10:46
1,000+ miles Springer - Harpers Ferry (from HF, I'll walk to D.C. via the C&O canal).

Pedaling Fool
03-02-2008, 10:48
1,000+ miles from Springer to Harper's Ferry, from HF I'll walk to D.C. via the C&O canal.

Almost There
03-02-2008, 11:29
Awesome, see there are some real hikers on WB, my faith is being restored!:sun

Jason of the Woods
03-02-2008, 11:32
I'd say 3-4 thousand. Actually on the way out to do a few of those now.

Chaco Taco
03-02-2008, 11:33
About 2200 miles

Tipi Walter
03-02-2008, 11:39
You could also add, How Many Bag Nights For The Year? Mileage could be misleading as many dayhikers put in the miles but don't spend a night outside. I'd say figuring out our bag nights(sleeping outdoors in a tent/bivy/tarp/hammock), is to me a more important number.

Almost There
03-02-2008, 11:49
You could also add, How Many Bag Nights For The Year? Mileage could be misleading as many dayhikers put in the miles but don't spend a night outside. I'd say figuring out our bag nights(sleeping outdoors in a tent/bivy/tarp/hammock), is to me a more important number.

Yeah, I thought about asking how many nights out on a trail, but it's easier for people to figure out their miles then their nights out, might be a good poll though.

Strategic
03-02-2008, 11:55
I'll answer both Almost There and Tipi Walter:

At least 200 (planned now) plus as many more as I can grab time for. Nights on the trail should be at least 14, though again that may well go up.

Many of us section hikers get slapped with the "cyber-hiker" label, mostly because we're likely to be working stiffs or have other constraints that mean we can't just take off and thru-hike no matter how much we might want to. Responsibilities and limitations aren't fun, but they are the stuff most people's lives are composed of, so be fair to those of us who can't do what we'd like and instead do what we can.

Strategic
03-02-2008, 12:02
By the way, I do not count day hikes for my section hiking mileage total. I don't have anything against those who do or consider them "lesser" miles, but to feel that I've done the trail as I want to, I need to be out overnight at least for it to count. That's a purely personal restriction, but I think you'll find a lot of section hikers agree with it.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2008, 12:05
By the way, I do not count day hikes for my section hiking mileage total. I don't have anything against those who do or consider them "lesser" miles, but to feel that I've done the trail as I want to, I need to be out overnight at least for it to count. That's a purely personal restriction, but I think you'll find a lot of section hikers agree with it.

Yeah, otherwise we could count walking from our cars to the shopping mall. Maybe.

Almost There
03-02-2008, 12:12
I'll answer both Almost There and Tipi Walter:

At least 200 (planned now) plus as many more as I can grab time for. Nights on the trail should be at least 14, though again that may well go up.

Many of us section hikers get slapped with the "cyber-hiker" label, mostly because we're likely to be working stiffs or have other constraints that mean we can't just take off and thru-hike no matter how much we might want to. Responsibilities and limitations aren't fun, but they are the stuff most people's lives are composed of, so be fair to those of us who can't do what we'd like and instead do what we can.

There are many more section hikers than thru hikers so I wouldn't begin to call us sectioners, "Cyber-Hikers". To me a Cyber hiker is akin to a pack sniffer. Someone who holds onto past accomplishments and proceeds to tell others what they should do, rather than going out and doing. Or someone who never gets out and really hits the trail, but yet is constantly posting on WB about hiking topics. If you are getting out for 100+ miles a year, have a job, family, etc. Then I would not lable you a cyber hiker as you get out as much as you can...there is an effort to get out and hike, life committments have simply put constraints on your ability to get out more at the moment.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2008, 12:19
The current plan for the section-hiking Dinos is to:

Finish off GA (about 25 miles) - this week if possible (want to avoid the T-storms on Tuesday and have a great-grandson's baby shower on Friday night.....)
Do some of the trail between Hot Springs and Davenport Gap (maybe on to Erwin and Damascus, but I doubt it - we have two great-grand-dinos on the way and two granddino weddings - two granddinos graduating from high school and the youngest hatchling (a junior in college) going to Scotland this year.
Do some of the trail in SNP with she-dino's father - this won't be big miles, but that isn't the purpose of this particular trip.
Possible do some of the trail in Maryland (while visiting the he-dino's brother)
Do some of the NC AT from Yellow creek Gap SOBO toward the GA border (we did yellow Creek to Fontana Dam
She-Dino's brother wants to do some of the John Muir trail in late April.... she-dino will hang back with papaw-dino while the younger dinos go forth.
We are waiting to see what the ATC does about Sgt Rock's use of the BMT before doing any of the AT thru the GSMNP. She-Dino has hiked this before - he-dino hasn't. Both Dinos hate shelters and would like to avoid staying in them at all if possible - something using the BMT would make legally possible.

One thing age has taught the Dinos is to be flexible and unlike our extinct namesakes, to adapt well to change.

doggiebag
03-02-2008, 12:19
I would love to be able to finish this year - I've only got under 360 miles to finish the AT (from the South Twin mountains in the Whites to Mt. Kathadin). In addition to some weekend hikes I'll end up doing about 400 to 500 miles.

doggiebag
03-02-2008, 12:20
The current plan for the section-hiking Dinos is to:

Finish off GA (about 25 miles) - this week if possible (want to avoid the T-storms on Tuesday and have a great-grandson's baby shower on Friday night.....)
Do some of the trail between Hot Springs and Davenport Gap (maybe on to Erwin and Damascus, but I doubt it - we have two great-grand-dinos on the way and two granddino weddings - two granddinos graduating from high school and the youngest hatchling (a junior in college) going to Scotland this year.
Do some of the trail in SNP with she-dino's father - this won't be big miles, but that isn't the purpose of this particular trip.
Possible do some of the trail in Maryland (while visiting the he-dino's brother)
Do some of the NC AT from Yellow creek Gap SOBO toward the GA border (we did yellow Creek to Fontana Dam
She-Dino's brother wants to do some of the John Muir trail in late April.... she-dino will hang back with papaw-dino while the younger dinos go forth.We are waiting to see what the ATC does about Sgt Rock's use of the BMT before doing any of the AT thru the GSMNP. She-Dino has hiked this before - he-dino hasn't. Both Dinos hate shelters and would like to avoid staying in them at all if possible - something using the BMT would make legally possible.

One thing age has taught the Dinos is to be flexible and unlike our extinct namesakes, to adapt well to change.

Sounds like you have a full year :D.

Rcarver
03-02-2008, 12:33
Hopefully I'l be able to continue my trend of 85 to 95 nights a year.
Work stinks!

Nightwalker
03-02-2008, 12:53
Awesome, see there are some real hikers on WB, my faith is being restored!:sun

You're funny.

Again, as you said, a carryover from the "pack sniffer" thread. I think I'll just limit my answer to "more miles than you, little cyber buddy." Was that mean? Probably. Did you walk right into it? Definitely.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 12:56
i've got more miles by accident than you'll ever have on purpose :)

Sly
03-02-2008, 12:57
There are many more section hikers than thru hikers

Citations?

AT-HITMAN2005
03-02-2008, 13:06
thru-hiking so only time will tell.

hitch, good luck with finishing your hike!

Lone Wolf
03-02-2008, 13:08
Citations?

not anytime recent. i'm a damn good driver

Nightwalker
03-02-2008, 13:11
i've got more miles by accident than you'll ever have on purpose :)

I'll catch up with you before you know it, Old Pup. I'll be at 50% of yours, most likely, by the end of the year, and you've been doing it twice as long as me.

Now that you claim to be an ex-hiker (I seriously doubt that you could totally stop even if you wanted to), all I have to do is keep up my current rate and I'll pass you in less than 10 years.

So there!

An aside to everyone else. Lone Wolf is my friend, and he tolerates me pretty well. He's one of the few that knows how nuts I am, doesn't care, and won't let me use it as an excuse for stupid human tricks. We also play kinda rough. If you decide to join in, plan on going by the same no-rules rules.

IOW, Almost There, the last post wasn't personal, just part of the game. :)

Quoddy
03-02-2008, 13:12
Right now I have a firm 760 miles planned. Long Trail (again) and the Colorado Trail. There will be other shorter hikes, too.

Almost There
03-02-2008, 13:21
You're funny.

Again, as you said, a carryover from the "pack sniffer" thread. I think I'll just limit my answer to "more miles than you, little cyber buddy." Was that mean? Probably. Did you walk right into it? Definitely.

yeah, but I have to care for it to be mean.:p So back at ya', I gotta work and spend time with the wife, so I'll give you the more miles...btw there's nothing little about me. As for the game, I understand it well, I've know Wolf for a few years now.

Speaking of Wolf, as for your mileage...it doesn't hurt that the trail goes right by your yard!;)

Most times I either feel like being a "good" guy, or being antagonistic just for yucks. This thread was started by the "good" me.

Nightwalker to find out who the real man is...if we ever see each other on the trail we'll have to thumb wrestle to the death in order to determine such things...btw, I have gargantuan thumbs!!!:eek:

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 13:47
I expect to do 150-160 miles Maryland and Virginia in one trip early summer (probably 10 nights out, since someone asked), and I think I will do a weeklongish trip to Maine, maybe from Monson south to the Kennebec and return, or north to Abol.

Terry7
03-02-2008, 14:05
1000-1500

doodles
03-02-2008, 14:21
Been logging in about 400-500 miles per year over the last six years. I plan on continuing with my current trend. I have about 15 nights planned for hanging between the trees. Work seems to get in the way of hiking and hanging.

LIhikers
03-02-2008, 17:12
We have a 100 miles of the AT planned for this coming summer plus we'll probably get in some backpacking miles in other parts of NY and NJ.

Tin Man
03-02-2008, 18:26
A simple 54 overnighter type miles - Franconia Notch to Pinkham Notch.
Maybe another 30-50 day hiking miles in nearby NY.
Went out and back from Bulls Bridge to Ten Mile River Shelter today.

Guess that makes me a sorry a$$ pack sniffing, cyber hiker.

buff_jeff
03-02-2008, 18:41
I'm looking to do around 1,000-1,100 on the AT (Maryland next week, Springer to Harper's Ferry over the summer, and finishing up New Jersey next winter break) and some local, small-time day hiking in the state park near my house. I might get out and do some day hikes on the AT in Pennsylvania as well. So, probably 1,200 miles total.

Marta
03-02-2008, 18:46
How many miles this year? An interesting question. I hadn't even thought about it. Let's see...if I do 40 weekend hikes, averaging 15 miles per weekend, that's 600 miles right there. Add in the long, vacation hike, which should be between 200 and 450 miles. The grand total should be 800-1050.

Of course, I haven't been keeping track so far, and don't plan to start keeping track, so the true total will always remain a mystery.

Lilred
03-02-2008, 18:56
I'll be starting in Catawba and going as far as Harper's Ferry, about 330 miles. With any luck I'll get another 60ish over my spring break, so I guess somewhere around 400 miles.

rafe
03-02-2008, 18:59
I'm hoping for a week on the PCT, maybe 70-100 miles, and maybe a half dozen weekend or long-weekend hikes in the Whites, prolly 15-20 miles each. Maybe I'll bag a few more of the 4000-footers (it's been years since I took a count...)

Sly
03-02-2008, 19:02
I'm hoping for a week on the PCT, maybe 70-100 miles,

What week? I'll give you a couple suggestions.

rafe
03-02-2008, 19:15
What week? I'll give you a couple suggestions.

Aargh, I wish I knew for sure, but the best guess now is August. I've got to coordinate with my nephew. He's suggesting the Tahoe area, mostly because it's easy-on/easy-off. I'd like to do something more remote, but concerned about logistics. In another thread, y'all suggested Section P -- but that looks harder to get to.

rcli4
03-02-2008, 19:18
A little under 2,200. Probably 130-150 bag nights.

Clyde

Hitch
03-02-2008, 19:52
Yes Sly, I do know Tom Bombaci. He is a great guy. He's a hospice worker and you know you've got to be special to do that work.

STEVEM
03-02-2008, 20:03
I hope to finish The Long Path this year. I have 162 miles left and since I'll be mostly dayhiking that will make a total of about 320 miles.

Does anyone think my wife will be thrilled when I tell her that I actually finished something?

Sly
03-02-2008, 20:30
Aargh, I wish I knew for sure, but the best guess now is August. I've got to coordinate with my nephew. He's suggesting the Tahoe area, mostly because it's easy-on/easy-off. I'd like to do something more remote, but concerned about logistics. In another thread, y'all suggested Section P -- but that looks harder to get to.

Not much of the PCT has easy access. Closest to Reno would be Desolation Wilderness north to I-80, but you need a permit in the wilderness area. They have quotas. It's about 63 miles.

Sly
03-02-2008, 20:31
Yes Sly, I do know Tom Bombaci. He is a great guy. He's a hospice worker and you know you've got to be special to do that work.

Cool. You even know his real name! ;)

Frau
03-02-2008, 20:36
I got in almost 700 last year, mostly day hikes, but including several long weekends in WVA and MD.

With summers off I had somewhat of a daily activity routine: Hike 4-7 miles every a.m. with Nessmuk. He gets ready for his work, which starts at 1p, I go paddling. We have a new canoe and cart so we plan more canoeing and less hiking on trips. I hope to maintain my almost 700 again this year despite more paddling. Got to keep up the miles to maintain my endurance AND keep the weight off.

If our wishful plans to visit Glacier come to fruition, I may get in mroe than 700.

Frau

Bearpaw
03-02-2008, 20:49
Between the Bartram Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail, and Foothills Trail, I'll devote about 500 miles to these thru-hikes. Add the Smokies AT which my fiancee wants to do over three trips and lots of weekenders, and I come out somewhere between 650 and 750 miles.

dmax
03-02-2008, 22:06
300-400 not including day hikes. family, knees, back, and work stops me from doing more.

Blissful
03-02-2008, 22:10
Probably not more than 100 miles this year. Depends on how far we go in West Viriginia. And if we do anything else.

Hammock Hanger
03-03-2008, 09:06
Wrong answer....!!

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 09:29
Hmmm...I consider any time my feet hit a trail as trail miles. When my $#@* spents the night on the ground I am the happiest... not always happy in the morning when I have to try and get it off the ground.

Leaving Harpers Ferry in May heading north as far as my $#@* will let me.

Have already done about 100 miles in different trips to NC and GA this year.

If I can't get to the Big K without a problem, when rested will head to NY to my old stomping grounds and do the Northville-Placid Trail.

Promised a friend to rehike the Bartram Trail.

Thoughtful Owl
03-03-2008, 09:48
I will probably round out somewhere around 300-350 miles this year. I have already put in close to 50 in the past two months, some on the AT some on other trails. This summer I am leading to contingents on 50 milers at the scout reservation. Between outings with the scout troop, personal and trail maintainence I should get the remaining 200-250 miles in. Anything more will have to wait until after retirement, which is many years away.

Hammock Hanger
03-03-2008, 09:51
Hmmm...I consider any time my feet hit a trail as trail miles. When my $#@* spents the night on the ground I am the happiest... not always happy in the morning when I have to try and get it off the ground.

Leaving Harpers Ferry in May heading north as far as my $#@* will let me.

Have already done about 100 miles in different trips to NC and GA this year.

If I can't get to the Big K without a problem, when rested will head to NY to my old stomping grounds and do the Northville-Placid Trail.

Promised a friend to rehike the Bartram Trail.
And would this friends intials be SC????

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2008, 09:55
I'd like to get someone with the initials ST to come to GA and hike with me and SB and maybe KE (aka Rock's wife). We can all wobble slowly down a trail while having enormous amounts of fun.... We might even get JH (the renowned hostess of Erwin) to come along.

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 09:58
And would this friends intials be SC????

Yup! Want to come? Ya know it won't be setting any land speed records but could be alot of fun!

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 09:59
I'd like to get someone with the initials ST to come to GA and hike with me and SB and maybe KE (aka Rock's wife). We can all wobble slowly down a trail while having enormous amounts of fun.... We might even get JH (the renowned hostess of Erwin) to come along.

I hope ST will consider. Sounds like a BLAST!

DesertMTB
03-03-2008, 10:03
More than 200 on the AT and 25-50 at the Grand Canyon.

jesse
03-03-2008, 11:09

How many miles do you plan on hiking this year? Are you a real hiker...or a cyber hiker?:eek:

C'mon doesn't have to be one continuous hike, but how many miles do ya' think you'll get in this year?:D

I'll go first: 420-450 miles for sure with the small possibility, ok, tiny possibility of a SOBO Thru.

This is BS. First, there are two questions asked, How may miles? and Are you a real hiker? Are the two questions related? I'm going to guess that Almost There considers anything above 420 mile makes you a real hiker. Others have stated that day hikes don't count. This is the first conversation I've seen, that attempts to put standards on section/weekend hiking. I can't wait until the article How to be a Purist Section Hiker is published. Kinda misses the point IMO.

Now to answer the question:
How many miles will I hike this year? I have no idea.
How many bag nights? Don't know.
Am I a cyber-hiker? Could be thats for others to decide, and I don't give a damn what they think.
Am I a real hiker? don't know, but if the blisters on my heel mean anything, I would say yes.

....and last
Are you going to enjoy every day/night you are in the wilderness, even if you get wet, go hungry, get hot, get cold, or get so tired you can barely move? Hell yea..

max patch
03-03-2008, 11:13

I thot "trash" didn't care about such things.

jesse
03-03-2008, 11:43
The three most often told lies:

1. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

2. The check is in the mail.

3. I think everybody should hike their own hike.

Almost There
03-03-2008, 11:58
This is BS. First, there are two questions asked, How may miles? and Are you a real hiker? Are the two questions related? I'm going to guess that Almost There considers anything above 420 mile makes you a real hiker. Others have stated that day hikes don't count. This is the first conversation I've seen, that attempts to put standards on section/weekend hiking. I can't wait until the article How to be a Purist Section Hiker is published. Kinda misses the point IMO.

Now to answer the question:
How many miles will I hike this year? I have no idea.
How many bag nights? Don't know.
Am I a cyber-hiker? Could be thats for others to decide, and I don't give a damn what they think.
Am I a real hiker? don't know, but if the blisters on my heel mean anything, I would say yes.

....and last
Are you going to enjoy every day/night you are in the wilderness, even if you get wet, go hungry, get hot, get cold, or get so tired you can barely move? Hell yea..

Don't be such an asshat!;) Obviously the 2nd question was tongue in cheek rhetorical, hence, the smilie. Are you a cyber hiker or real hiker is for you to decide. Actually I consider anyone who gets out and hikes some mileage to be a hiker. I really don't care how many miles you hike.

I was feeling like a potstirrer and so I started the thread. I was just curious with all of the "experts" here on WB, how many miles many of us actually hike. I just stated mine for posterity, I am well aware that there are many who bag far more miles than I do year in and year out.

Max Patch, you're right trash(I) don't care how many miles you hike, just curious how many on WB that always seem to be on here actually get out and hike...and I knew some people would be offended because some take life way too seriously, and it fun to see who get all clenched over it.:cool:

jesse
03-03-2008, 12:07
I was just curious with all of the "experts" here on WB, how many miles many of us actually hike.

(I) don't care how many miles you hike

Hammock Hanger
03-03-2008, 12:11
The three most often told lies:

1. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

2. The check is in the mail.

3. I think everybody should hike their own hike.

#3, ya have to love the old HYOH..... But here is how you SHOULD do it!!!:D

Almost There
03-03-2008, 12:27

Curious and Care are two different words with two different meanings.

While I may be "curious"(I'm not) about the trainwreck that is Brittany Spears, I don't really "care"

So, while I may be "curious" how many miles the "experts" here on WB are hiking...I don't really "care" as it has no real impact on my life.

You, of course, are welcome to believe what you want...I don't "care".:cool:

hobojoe
03-03-2008, 13:27
2174 + 8 and no more.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 13:42
I wonder if this thread will have to move to Politics.

Damn, how can folks fight over so little?

I plan to do at least 120 miles this year.

Almost There
03-03-2008, 13:49
I wonder if this thread will have to move to Politics.

Damn, how can folks fight over so little?

I plan to do at least 120 miles this year.

Wasn't meant to be a fight, :-?but some see a fight wherever they go.

Old Hillwalker
03-03-2008, 13:54
Since I have been hiking weekly since 1/1 and I will be doing Corridor, Boundary, and Maintaining my two AT sections of 2 and 5 miles respectively in preperation for my SOBO departure on June 24th. Let's see. Maybe 2300 miles or 3701.5 kilometers.

Marta
03-03-2008, 14:05
Since I have been hiking weekly since 1/1 and I will be doing Corridor, Boundary, and Maintaining my two AT sections of 2 and 5 miles respectively in preperation for my SOBO departure on June 24th. Let's see. Maybe 2300 miles or 3701.5 kilometers.

Good luck!

SOBO Pride!

Almost There
03-03-2008, 14:35
Good Luck Hillwalker!!! I'll be leaving Katahdin two weeks before you...still holding out hope that I'll be able to keep going after the Presidentials!!!

jesse
03-03-2008, 15:44
Don't be such an asshat!;) ...

[QUOTE]Wasn't meant to be a fight, :-?but some see a fight wherever they go.

only one person doing name calling on this thread, hoss

Tim Rich
03-03-2008, 19:23

I'll probably do between 150 and 200, all of it on the Pinhoti, BMT or in the Sipsey Wilderness.

AT, tough to SOBO and coach football. Are you still coaching?

Take Care,

Tim

Hooch
03-03-2008, 19:34
Depending on my work situation when I get settled in after my move to NC, I hope to top 200 mile sthis year, but we'll have to see. If I don't make that, I'll have a good time trying. :D

Almost There
03-03-2008, 19:42
I'll probably do between 150 and 200, all of it on the Pinhoti, BMT or in the Sipsey Wilderness.

AT, tough to SOBO and coach football. Are you still coaching?

Take Care,

Tim

Yep, still coaching football, right now my plan is to hike SOBO to Crawford Notch, and depending on wife's work situation I may be tendering my resignation, then hike the rest of the way, come home, and start my master's program, and become a Mr. Mom, followed by my Doctorate, etc.

Good to hear from ya' Tim!:D

Jesse, I love you too!!!;)(Yep, I winked at ya' whatcha gonna do about it?)

yappy
03-03-2008, 19:47
I hope to do about 400 or so. The Tahoe rim trail and then tooling around alaska some this summer...if anyone is coming up here give me a shout...:)

Mags
03-03-2008, 23:13
I just spend as much time as possible outside. Gave up counting mileage (or anything outdoor related) a long time ago. I just love being outdoors. I'll leave the numbers to more qualified people.

This was my first weekend not doing any outdoor activity in god knows how long. Damn flu! :)

But I was the Rockies Ruck, so it wasn't all bad. ;)

Strategic
03-04-2008, 02:45
There are many more section hikers than thru hikers so I wouldn't begin to call us sectioners, "Cyber-Hikers". To me a Cyber hiker is akin to a pack sniffer. Someone who holds onto past accomplishments and proceeds to tell others what they should do, rather than going out and doing. Or someone who never gets out and really hits the trail, but yet is constantly posting on WB about hiking topics. If you are getting out for 100+ miles a year, have a job, family, etc. Then I would not lable you a cyber hiker as you get out as much as you can...there is an effort to get out and hike, life committments have simply put constraints on your ability to get out more at the moment.

I didn't mean that specifically for you (or anyone else) Almost There. It was just a general plea for understanding for all us section hikers. Hope to see you out there (really!)

bredler
03-04-2008, 06:14
My plans:

~200 miles on a two week trip, May10-24
Lots of weekend trips, maybe four or five of them at 50 miles each
Possible Thru of the Long Trail ~270 milesThat accounts for my overnight stuff, so something around 50 nights spent outdoors (if I do the thru of the LT, otherwise, knock 21 days off that) and something like 400-700 miles.

rafe
03-04-2008, 07:35
My plans:

~200 miles on a two week trip, May10-24
Lots of weekend trips, maybe four or five of them at 50 miles each
Possible Thru of the Long Trail ~270 miles

50 miles in a weekend? :-?

bredler
03-04-2008, 07:41

Friday, Saturday, Sunday. About 17 miles a day. I live near SNP, so that's where I do most of my stuff because it's easy to get to and a nice area; 17mpd isn't too tough in that terrain. I'll probably only work four days a week because the office that I'll be working at works four ten hour days with fridays off.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 07:42

yeah. it's easy to do

rafe
03-04-2008, 08:13
Well, my weekend hikes are more likely to be in the Whites. And a weekend is two days, not three. (Insert smiley here, or sad face???) It's hardly unusual for a thru hiker to do 15+ mpd, but a weekend warrior... not so much. I still remember the first time we ever did 20+ miles thru the Whites in a weekend. It was brutal.

rafe
03-04-2008, 08:15
Friday, Saturday, Sunday. About 17 miles a day. I live near SNP, so that's where I do most of my stuff because it's easy to get to and a nice area; 17mpd isn't too tough in that terrain. I'll probably only work four days a week because the office that I'll be working at works four ten hour days with fridays off.

As you explain it, it makes sense... 3 days, SNP... Though that still presumes a good level of fitness.

bredler
03-04-2008, 08:31
As you explain it, it makes sense... 3 days, SNP... Though that still presumes a good level of fitness.

Well this isn't exactly a hypothetical situation...I've done 17 miles a day in SNP. Besides, L. Wolf says it's easy :D. My strategy for completing these 50 mile weekends includes lots of continuous walking. Perhaps all day :eek:! Oh well, just numbers anyhow right?

I'm just killing time with WB while my graveyard shift crawls to a finish.

bredler
03-04-2008, 08:32
Well, my weekend hikes are more likely to be in the Whites. And a weekend is two days, not three. (Insert smiley here, or sad face???) It's hardly unusual for a thru hiker to do 15+ mpd, but a weekend warrior... not so much. I still remember the first time we ever did 20+ miles thru the Whites in a weekend. It was brutal.

Yeah, I've heard the whites are brutal. No switchbacks and lots of elevation change.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 08:34
Yeah, I've heard the whites are brutal. No switchbacks and lots of elevation change.

only brutal if you're a fat bastid straight off the couch

rafe
03-04-2008, 08:43
Well this isn't exactly a hypothetical situation...I've done 17 miles a day in SNP. Besides, L. Wolf says it's easy :D. My strategy for completing these 50 mile weekends includes lots of continuous walking. Perhaps all day :eek:! Oh well, just numbers anyhow right?

I'm just killing time with WB while my graveyard shift crawls to a finish.

SNP is 'special'. Last summer I did my best daily mileage in SNP. In fact, I set a personal record (woo-hoo!) of 40 miles in two days. But I was in peak condition... for a terrapin. I've gained back 20 lbs since then. :o

rafe
03-04-2008, 08:48
only brutal if you're a fat bastid straight off the couch

Hey, LW, you can do 50 miles (unsupported) thru the Whites in a 2 day weekend? ;) :rolleyes: :D :cool:. Not running. 25-30 lb. pack or thereabouts. Anywhere from Glencliff to Gorham. :banana :sun :)

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 08:50
Hey, LW, you can do 50 miles (unsupported) thru the Whites in a 2 day weekend? ;) :rolleyes: :D :cool:. Not running. 25-30 lb. pack or thereabouts. Anywhere from Glencliff to Gorham. :banana :sun :)

huh? i was replying to bredler. where do i say i wanna do 50 in 2 days in the whites

Gray Blazer
03-04-2008, 09:00
1000 to 3000 cyberhiking. In reality, prolly about 80 -160 with a week in the spring and a week in the summer.

vonfrick
03-04-2008, 09:26
kilington (long trail inn, is specifically where i'm being dropped off) up to katahdin (where i'm hopefully getting picked up!) so what's that? near 500?

Almost There
03-04-2008, 09:33
I didn't mean that specifically for you (or anyone else) Almost There. It was just a general plea for understanding for all us section hikers. Hope to see you out there (really!)

No offense taken man...like I said to Jessebrent, I don't let anything on here bother me, it's the internet...c'mon, I'm sure we'd have a great time on the trail. After all, I should stop with the section hiker/thru hiker krap, as I only see myself as a hiker, and if you're getting out there then so are you!

Pennsylvania Rose
03-04-2008, 09:56
I spend my day on wb dreaming of the day when my 5 and 6 yo can hike "real" miles. But, wait, that would mean they'd be grown up and I wouldn't get to enjoy them. So, I hope that day doesn't come too quickly. Right now it's killing me that my teenagers are going to start leaving home in the next 18 months.

'Till the kids are grown, the mileage is low, but we backpack for a week every spring and fall break, and once over the summer. We dayhike at least once a week and drive-up camp a lot in the summer since my dh likes the outdoors but hates to hike.

So, I guess when it comes to mileage, I'm a cyber-hiker, but I spend way more time in the outdoors than any other mom I know personally.

Almost There
03-04-2008, 10:20
I spend my day on wb dreaming of the day when my 5 and 6 yo can hike "real" miles. But, wait, that would mean they'd be grown up and I wouldn't get to enjoy them. So, I hope that day doesn't come too quickly. Right now it's killing me that my teenagers are going to start leaving home in the next 18 months.

'Till the kids are grown, the mileage is low, but we backpack for a week every spring and fall break, and once over the summer. We dayhike at least once a week and drive-up camp a lot in the summer since my dh likes the outdoors but hates to hike.

So, I guess when it comes to mileage, I'm a cyber-hiker, but I spend way more time in the outdoors than any other mom I know personally.

No Rose, you're a hiker, because you get out as much as you can, if you got little ones there's no difference between you and the guy who works 60 hour weeks to take care of his family and so can't get out much...your priorities are simply in the right place...it's looking more and more like I am gonna end up a stay at home dad when we have kids in the next couple of years...my mileage will be cut back dramatically at that point, but the miles will grow again one day....enjoy your children the trail will be there when they get older.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-04-2008, 11:22
it's looking more and more like I am gonna end up a stay at home dad when we have kids in the next couple of years...my mileage will be cut back dramatically at that point, but the miles will grow again one day....enjoy your children the trail will be there when they get older.

I do - they grow up waaayyy too fast...and when they're teenagers they have so many other things to do that it's hard to find time to be together (although I'm lucky, my teenagers don't mind hanging out with me and their little brother and sister).

SteveJ
03-04-2008, 13:44
I do - they grow up waaayyy too fast....

that's the truth...I'm thoroughly enjoying having a 3rd son who's 5 yrs younger than the middle one... Oldest is a freshman at UGA, after spending a year in Germany after high school as an exchange student (rumor is that he'll come home for spring break this weekend with a lip ring....sigh....). Middle one is enjoying life as a senior in HS, preparing to report to West Point at the end of June...my wife and I tear up whenever we think about how little we'll see him afterward...

so - (and back to topic) Thank God for 3rd sons! He and I are planning a 50 mile trip for spring break...picking up at Unicoi Gap and going north...haven't really made firm plans yet - Troop is starting at Woody Gap, going to Dick's Creek Gap - we're planning on meeting up with them at Unicoi Gap and walking north.....

Flarednostrils
03-04-2008, 14:32
2,176, I hope!