PDA

View Full Version : Layering

tucker0104
03-02-2008, 11:08
I know everyone says layering is the key to keeping warm but will somebody please give me a demonstration using actual clothes. Say, I was going to be hiking when it is 20deg or 30 deg at night and the like 50 during the day. What would you wear for that?

take-a-knee
03-02-2008, 11:30
1) Underarmor SS Tee

2) Underarmor LS Tee

3) Patagonia R1 Hoody

4) Patagonia Puffball Vest

or
5) Montbell sythetic hooded jacket.

To push this system a little lower add a Patagonia microfleece hoody.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2008, 11:35
I've broken layering systems down to a simple outline:

Four Layering System/TOP
1. Baselayer: T-shirt/thin silk turtleneck/thin under armor(With shorts, this is what I hike in most of the time).
2. Midlayer: Thermal tops including thicker silk, polypro, merino, singly or in layers(I use two merino tops together, a medium under a large, etc).
3. Outer Layer: Here comes the fleece tops, pullovers and jackets. Maybe also down vests, windbreakers, rain jackets over thermals for warmth, etc.
4. Extreme Outer: Not often needed, but would include warm down jackets, subzero parkas, etc.

Four Layering System/BOTTOMS
1. Baselayer: Shorts, with or w/o underwear: This is the standard load for most backpackers.
2. Midlayer: This would be thermal bottoms under the shorts(either polypro, capilene, merino, etc).
3. Outer Layer: Adding rain pants or zip-offs over the thermal underwear would constitute the outer layer.
4. Extreme Outer: Here again comes the down pants, the thick fleece pants, stuff for very cold conditions.

Jason of the Woods
03-02-2008, 11:36
I would wear my Capilene 4 Top with a synthetic tee under. On the bottom I'd wear just my convertibles. Shoes, or boots and a light hiking sock. Of course my Patagonia Boxer briefs.;) I always carry Capilene 3s to sleep in during the winter. I am yet to get cold even when temps went down to 0.

Jason of the Woods
03-02-2008, 11:38
Oh I missed that you're from FL. I'd add a couple more layers. It took me like 5 years to re-acclimate when I moved out of FL. Seriously though, I throw a fleece on at camp.

JAK
03-02-2008, 12:13
I know everyone says layering is the key to keeping warm but will somebody please give me a demonstration using actual clothes. Say, I was going to be hiking when it is 20deg or 30 deg at night and the like 50 during the day. What would you wear for that?I layer differently for several days than for a day hike. On an extended trip I need to prepare for the worst, which usually involves a heavier sweater, which I like to keep on all the time, so I tend to hike with it and keep the skin layers and wind layers in reserve.

Normally worn on warmest days:
Legs: Hiking Shorts + 4oz polyester skin layer
Top: Medium Wool sweater

Normally packed:
Legs:
Flannel boxers until I get some wool boxers.
100wt polyester fleece just looser than skin layer
5oz cheap nylon wind layer
Top:
light merino sweater for under medium wool sweater.
100wt polyester fleece loose enough for over the sweater.
5oz cheap nylon wind layer
Rain Poncho/Tarp

JAK
03-02-2008, 12:26
Hats and mitts of course. They go on and off the most so stay in pockets.
If it was potentially extreme cold/wind I would bring along some sort of balaclava also.

If it got chilly with the wind blowing through the sweater even with hat and mitts on I would put the merino sweater on underneath first. If that was still chilly then probably the wind layers next if it was windy, or the fleece layers next if it was cold, or both if it was both. Especially if I am in snow I tend to ovedress my legs first. When the weather goes from bad to worse I tend to put everything on and slow down to conserve energy, but I've never had cause to stop and shelter during the day, yet.

take-a-knee
03-02-2008, 14:15
Hats and mitts of course. They go on and off the most so stay in pockets.
If it was potentially extreme cold/wind I would bring along some sort of balaclava also.

If it got chilly with the wind blowing through the sweater even with hat and mitts on I would put the merino sweater on underneath first. If that was still chilly then probably the wind layers next if it was windy, or the fleece layers next if it was cold, or both if it was both. Especially if I am in snow I tend to ovedress my legs first. When the weather goes from bad to worse I tend to put everything on and slow down to conserve energy, but I've never had cause to stop and shelter during the day, yet.

Good point about hats and mitts JAK. The pockets in my Marmot Precip contain a light watch cap, a light pair of polypro gloves, a fleece pair of polypro gloves, and some new Mountain Laurel Design rain mitts. This stuff stays stashed there at all times, year round. If it is so warm that I don't need the Precip (and I take just a poncho instead) then I don't need the gloves.

dessertrat
03-02-2008, 14:37
Tipi Walter really nails it, but remember that at 50 degrees during the day, carrying a pack, you are likely to need no more than the base layer unless it is windy. Keep a jacket or pullover handy for putting on during breaks.

highway
03-02-2008, 14:39
I know everyone says layering is the key to keeping warm but will somebody please give me a demonstration using actual clothes. Say, I was going to be hiking when it is 20deg or 30 deg at night and the like 50 during the day. What would you wear for that?

Different Strokes (layers) for Different Folks!
Everyone is different.

Against my skin a Capilene tank top
Next a Capilene Tee
Then a RailRider eco mesh shirt
Then a Marnot Driclime windshirt.

That is good for me into the low 40's. As soon as the sun rises, so does the temp and by 10:00 I would have stripped down to the thin nylon shirt, maybe even to the tee. At 60's I am likely down to the tank. Remember that even if it gets that cold at night, it warms rather quickly with the sun and you will be exerting anyway, beneath a pack and climbing/descending, generating a bunch of warmth in your core. I would not even consider thermals unless I was going to be stopped all day and not walking. For me they are nice to have but I never wear them. But then I never lounge around in 'camp' as many do.

And, I am a Floridian:D

tucker0104
03-02-2008, 15:50
Does everyone get hot when they hike even if its cold outside? I know I sweat even if its like 20 degrees outside.

JAK
03-02-2008, 15:53
Nothing over or under my sweater keeps me cool when I need to be cool. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2008, 16:36
My normal hiking attire once I'm warmed up for 50F is a sports bra or a lightweight silk shirt and shorts or unlined light nylon pants. I add a jacket when I stop or sometimes when going downhill (less exertion = less body heat being made)

shelterbuilder
03-02-2008, 19:30
I tend to sweat - a lot!!! So I've always dressed with the idea of trying to stay comfortably COOL when hiking. I'll wear a polypro base layer, top and bottom, with polypro sock liners, too. Medium-weight wool socks, a pair of tight-weave wool pants (they're warm, and they break the wind quite a bit), a light-weight wool sweater (or, better yet, a light-weight wool shirt with button sleeves and a button-front). [Did you notice that I like wool?]

I'll have polypro glove liners accessable in one pocket, and a light-weight watch cap in another pocket. As I hike, if I get warm or cold, these can come off or go back on at needed. Also, while I hike, I will unbutton or button up my shirt (front and sleeves) as needed to stay COOL but not cold. If it's windy, my old reliable Gore-Tex rainsuit comes out - I'll use this as an over-layer to break the wind. Unless it's BITTERLY cold (0* or colder), I'll take off the wool shirt when the Gore-Tex goes on for hiking, or I'll sweat too much.

Now, when I stop, the layering begins: I'll put on the vest that's been traveling inside the pack. The cap goes on, as do the glove liners. I usually have an extra sweater that I can put on if I'm still cold. The rain suit can be used a a final layer, as well as the gloves or mitts that were inside the pack. Finally, if I'm in camp, and I'm still cold, that's nature's way of telling me that it's time for me to crawl into my sleeping bag and turn in for the night!

Remember: think "cool" while hiking, and think "warm" while stopped, or in camp. If you're warm while you're hiking, you're either overdressed, or you're hiking too fast - or both! Layers allow you to fine-tune YOUR temperature to conditions in the field.

highway
03-03-2008, 07:51
Does everyone get hot when they hike even if its cold outside? I know I sweat even if its like 20 degrees outside.

And that is, "The Reason for Layering"!

It is easy to peel off or put back on, layers so as to balance one's body heat with the climatic conditions coupled with one's exertion-or lack thereof. This way you are always reasonably comfortable, never too hot or too cold.

JAK
03-03-2008, 08:32
That is correct. You are giving up the advantage of layers if you wearing layers on warm days when most active. On day trips I tend to wear a few thin layers. On extended trips most of the time most of my layers are waiting for more extreme weather.

Tipi Walter
03-03-2008, 08:54
One of the hardest things to do when backpacking is to stop at the first hint of sweat and take off the pack and delayer. There's always a tendency to keep moving no matter what and just let the sweat build up in the midlayers, etc. It takes a certain amount of discipline to pull off the trail, even after just starting in the morning, and shed some clothing.

I often find myself hiking in shorts and a t-shirt with gloves and a balaclava. Looks weird but my hands and head need the protection whereas my legs and arms do not.

Peaks
03-03-2008, 08:54
Dress like an onion

hopefulhiker
03-03-2008, 09:43
To hike I wore the silk weight long sleeve undershirt, The marmot driclime jacket, and Frog Togg Rain coat.. I had the silkweight long johns with full zip marmot rain pants..

If it was really cold I would add the Patagonia down sweater, but I saved this for camp wear generrally...

Alligator
03-03-2008, 10:03
I liked Tipi Walter's outline in #3 too. What's good about it is it's not temperature specific, since folks differ. Others mentioned thoughts about gloves and hats.

At 50F I'd be in fleece shorts and the basic long sleeve blue polypro top. I'd have a fleece hat, convertible gloves/mitts, a fleece headband, and a neck gaiter in a hip pouch for easy access. I'd probably have my sleeves rolled up but I might be wearing the headband.

My rain shell would be easily accessible for inclement weather. A warm jacket would be used at breaks, as would the hat and neck gaiter.

Those nighttime temps I'd be at stage 4 Tops and a variation of stage 3 bottoms per TW. I generally consider my hiking clothes to be "expendable". A bad weather day or arduous hike can easily leave your hiking clothes drenched. So I wouldn't have shorts in my nighttime ensemble. I'd have silk bottoms, a light fleece pants layer and a heavy fleece pants layer. (Assume a mild winter outing). I spend a lot of time out of sleeping bag in the winter though. I'd like to get a nice pair of insulated pants though to drop the two fleece pairs.

I'd adjust this a little lighter was a fall outing though. It would depend on the likelihood of more extreme weather.

Cindy from Indy
03-05-2008, 11:04
Okay, so let's say I have all the correct layers on.
I'm hiking in 35 to 50 degree weather. I remove layers as needed during the hike.
Let's say I do 11.5 miles, mostly up.
I'm coming to the shelter, I'm sweaty as heck and all I want to do is cool off.
I shed the layers, set up my sleep system for the night and now I'm getting really cold, shivering to the bone cold.

Should I have changed into my dry camp clothes before I did anything else?:confused:

Tipi Walter
03-05-2008, 11:14
I'm hiking in 35 to 50 degree weather. I remove layers as needed during the hike.
I shed the layers, set up my sleep system for the night and now I'm getting really cold, shivering to the bone cold.

Should I have changed into my dry camp clothes before I did anything else?:confused:

Here's what I do: If I'm climbing up a mountain I'll usually be wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, even in the winter. Or maybe a very thin silk turtleneck under the t-shirt. It will all be wet with sweat. As soon as I pull into camp I immediately pull out the midlayers(in my case a set of Icebreaker merino tops), take off the wet t-shirt and leave on the silk and put the merinos on. The moist silk baselayer will dry under the midlayer so it's no problem.

The main thing is not to get the midlayer wet by exertion.

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 11:17

Ideally you would have kept shedding layers so that the only garments that were sweaty were your base layer tee shirt(s). So all you had to do was don your primaloft vest/jacket, warm hat, and shell (precip?). This is also where hoods on garments shine, they retain huge amounts of body heat, you also don't get frostnip on your earlobes while wearing one.

Chef2000
03-05-2008, 11:23
Yes, as soon as my tent is up I change into my camp clothes, which consist of REI Long underwear bottom and top, quick dry type, heavy socks. I never hike in these clothes and keep them as dry as possible at all times. Then get my hiking clothes drying ASAP

In fifty degree weather I would be all the way down to longsleeve top and wicking undies, bathing suit type shorts which I always use as hiking shorts. I always keep my fleece jacket near top of pack or on back of pack for breaks.

typical layering system for me

1st- wicking boxer brief, to stop chafing in senstive area
2nd- REI quick drying long undies
3rd- REI polartec 2 vest, or jacket, polartec 2 pants
4th- Marmot precip pants and jacket (best waterproof/windbreaker/breathable suit I have ever used)

I have Polartec 3 pants but rarely use them or carry them.

Alligator
03-05-2008, 11:37
Here's what I do: If I'm climbing up a mountain I'll usually be wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, even in the winter. Or maybe a very thin silk turtleneck under the t-shirt. It will all be wet with sweat. As soon as I pull into camp I immediately pull out the midlayers(in my case a set of Icebreaker merino tops), take off the wet t-shirt and leave on the silk and put the merinos on. The moist silk baselayer will dry under the midlayer so it's no problem.

The main thing is not to get the midlayer wet by exertion.Yep good advice again, good followup too from TAK about getting those layers off before getting them sweaty. One reason I hike in the polypro is that even when it does get sweaty, it dries real quickly in camp. I'll leave it on under other layers. I may insert a layer under it. Just be a little careful if you are quickly cold though and that baselayer is wet. You might not be pumping out enough heat to get it dry quickly. And although I typically don't have a problem getting it dry, I don't count the polypro shirt as dry camp clothes.

So change, and have a snack handy to keep your engine burning.

Mags
03-05-2008, 12:13
Remember the 20F guideline: Dress like it is 20F warmer than the actually air temp.

CArrying a full pack, going up hill and walking all day will generate a LOT of body heat for most people. Wearing clothes like it was 20F warmer
(assuming you are moving) has served me well.