PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Dranoel
03-02-2008, 12:41
Who is hiking the PCT this year?

I'll be going solo. Departing April 14 from Campo heading North. :banana

//Departure date is fluid with the snow in higher elevations. But, this is my opening window to get on the trail.

vaporjourney
03-02-2008, 21:23
I'm going solo, starting April 24th. Hopefully I won't have to push that back more and get behind the 'herd', but...snow levels look intimidating at the moment. No Kickoff party for me.

-bebop

TwoForty
03-03-2008, 16:22
I'm thinking May 9th. Going solo from Campo to Tuolumne if I play my cards right.
Between moving to a new state, getting a new job, and graduating, I'm going to have about 5 days to plan this. It will be....interesting.

Sly
03-03-2008, 16:29
Starting April 17th and will be attending the Kick off from Warner Springs.

Sly
03-03-2008, 16:46
I'm going solo, starting April 24th. Hopefully I won't have to push that back more and get behind the 'herd', but...snow levels look intimidating at the moment. No Kickoff party for me.

-bebop

Vapor, you need to delete some PM's. Your mailbox is full.

neighbor dave
03-04-2008, 20:15

-bebop

don't be afeared.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2008.pdf

Lucy Lulu
03-07-2008, 20:50
Headed north from Campo a little late due to other obligations....5/21.

Sly
03-07-2008, 21:11
don't be afeared.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2008.pdf

Looks average to me. What matter is how it is when you get there! :D

ps222
03-09-2008, 05:08
:welcomeGoing nobo, with a friend, attending kickoff and starting right after. Still trying to figure out how to avoid the "herd" and still meet some interesting trail people...

clured
03-09-2008, 12:15
Wait, so, is it a high snow year or not? Those graphs say it's right around normal...?

vaporjourney
03-09-2008, 12:36
Looks like it's around normal to me too. Apparently it's a high snow year up in the Cascades though. Haven't seen any graphs for that part of the trail though... Plus I'm not SOBO, so I don't care. May make mosquitos more of a headache than usual through there though with excessive runoff.

handlebar
03-11-2008, 13:41
I'll be heading south from Walker Pass on April 4th. Starting solo, but know of 4 other hikers (3 AT06 veterans included, Chuck Norris&Tigger and JohnnyK) starting the following day. Hope to make it to Big Bear then head down to the kickoff. Plans are fluid after the kickoff. May hike Nobo back to BigBear or may go back and continue Sobo to Campo.

As to snow height, I did a little reconnaissance from downhill skis up near Donner Pass at Alpine Meadows and Squaw. I'd say it's a below average snowpack as of last week based on the other four times I've skied there. Of course that can easily change with just one big storm.

Shout out to all PCT08 hikers on Whiteblaze!

Handlebar, GA-ME 06

Bewildered
03-12-2008, 18:49
i (bewildered) and three of my other AT 05 SOBO crew members (Tarkus, Leroy, and Tugboat) will be arriving in San D May 14th and starting north on May 15. i am in a group of 7 right now starting, i, the three i just mentioned, and 4 other cronies. Should be a good old time, look for us at the nearest trail side bar or bottle shop…

peace, love, & Johnny Cash
bewildered
sobo AT 05

clured
03-12-2008, 23:29
Weird. Me too, exactly - flying from CT on May 14, starting the 15th. How are you guys getting to the trailhead, Bewildered? (or are you driving yourself?) I assume info about that is in Yogi, which I just ordered...

Anyone know about any kind of taxi service I could get from the San Diego airport to Campo?

TwoForty
03-12-2008, 23:44
Weird. Me too, exactly - flying from CT on May 14, starting the 15th. How are you guys getting to the trailhead, Bewildered? (or are you driving yourself?) I assume info about that is in Yogi, which I just ordered...

Anyone know about any kind of taxi service I could get from the San Diego airport to Campo?

From downtown San Diego, you need to get to El Cajon Transit Center via Bus or trolley (several routes are available) where you will transfer to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System bus to Campo (Routes 894 and 888). Current schedules are available on from the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System: Rte. 888 and Rte. 894.

This is my backup plan. I am hoping to solicit a ride from a local once I get my actual trip date.

GypsyLuLu
03-13-2008, 14:53
I know it's early but we're planning on hitting Campo on the 19th of April. The mix of anticipation and unpreparedness is not always solved by more time. We need to get out of Michigan and start hiking. I know that there's a rash of hikers starting this year. Jarrow (my brother) and I will be part of the melee.

Bewildered
03-17-2008, 09:23

that is weird.
we should meet up, i'll be there around 12:00 when my plain gets in

we plan on doing the norm;;

From downtown San Diego, you need to get to El Cajon Transit Center via Bus or trolley (several routes are available) where you will transfer to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System bus to Campo (Routes 894 and 888). Current schedules are available on from the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System: Rte. 888 and Rte. 894.

cburnett
03-17-2008, 15:29
heading north April 17th

caseyonpct.blogspot.com

A-Train
03-17-2008, 16:44
Definately try an avoid a taxi from SD to Campo, unless you wanna burn a week or two's worth of trail money on the ride. The bus route can take a long time too.

I'd look into the trail angel possibilities out there. I know Scout and Frodo and GirlScout are offering rides and places to stay in SD, as well as Gazelle, until she starts the PCT. These folks are all amazing. I think they've posted on PCT-L with their info.

clured
03-21-2008, 20:48
Yo, who else is getting pumped?? I'm ready to get out there. Schoolwork sucks.

vaporjourney
03-21-2008, 21:54
I'd be a little bit more excited if I weren't all wrapped up in nutritional planning. Looking at granola and calorie-rich cracker recipes. Once all of this planning is done, man I'll be pumped. It will hit hard I predict when I do a 4 day shakedown hike in northern GA. I really can't wait to experience the desert and all of the anticipation and nervousness I'll feel when approaching the High Sierra. Bring it on, I can't wait.

Dranoel
03-22-2008, 00:39
Yo, who else is getting pumped?? I'm ready to get out there. Schoolwork sucks.

I am.

REI loves me. The see me as the guy with cash in hand. I am getting the final items & will continue doing my "shakedown" hikes over the next couple of weeks.

//I wish I owned stock in REI. :)

TwoForty
03-22-2008, 13:40
Although REI is not a true co-op, you do get money back. Probably a better short term return than REI stock would be.

I just ordered the Yogi guide, the data book, and socal guide today. I'll probably go for the permit this week. I haven't really planned much. I've read a few journals and asked a few questions I was thinking about, but I'll be winging it for the most part. I'll start out with a bounce box and however much food I need and then just hope it works out. Maybe a few mail drops to the hard to resupply places, Kennedy Meadows for example.

vaporjourney
03-22-2008, 18:36
Don't forget about the new guide (probably better than the others) at www.pctatlas.com . The layout looks superior to the data book and trail guide done by wilderness press, but I still plan on taking Yogi's guide for town info.