PDA

View Full Version : Snickers are GOOD for you!!!

Mrs Baggins
03-02-2008, 17:22
I finally found the new "Snickers Charged" at a local grocery store and oh baby........it's actually GOOD for you! It contains extra caffeine, taurine, and B-Vitamins. And it's really not as deadly sweet as the original. I looked up taurine and it turns out it is excellent for muscles during workouts, putting something back into them that they become deficient in during the workout, and it helps the heart to contract better which in turn helps the muscles to perform better. It is an amino acid. Taurine also acts an an anti-anxiety supplement - - so people won't have to hear me sobbing up the really bad "ups" on the trail. :D All I can tell you is that I had just finished an 8 mile hike before eating it and I feel fantastic! My husband is complaining of feeling worn out, tired, sore, etc. I feel wonderful. I am going to go back and buy 28 more of them - enough for 2 per day on my upcoming 14 days on the AT! I'll mail most of them ahead of course so I don't have to carry them. :banana:banana:banana

SunnyWalker
03-08-2008, 00:04
Snickers are really good when you eat them after you have frozen them. Awwwwww, now that's a chewy treat.

Dogwood
03-08-2008, 01:48
Mrs. Baggins, it's marketing hype!!! DO NOT fall for it!!! Hook, line, and snickers!!! OH MY!!! Garbage in Garbage out!

desdemona
03-08-2008, 03:42
I hate to say this, but I think you are feeling so happy after all that caffeine. :sun

--des

Ramble~On
03-08-2008, 05:00
:-? A couple shots of squeeze Parkay and a handful of coffee beans does the same for me. MMm MmM MMMMMmmmmmm

Bearpaw
03-08-2008, 11:54
Even regular Snickers are great for hikers, both body AND soul.

Hate on them all you want, but there's literally MILLIONS of miles powered by them. Spend 2 bucks a Clif Bar all you want. You get just as solid nourishment with a Snickers, more fat - which by the way is a GOOD thing on a long-distance hike - and all for better taste and about 1/3 the price (especially when you buy several).

Preach on Mrs. Baggins!!

map man
03-08-2008, 12:36
Folks who have a lot of processed sugar in their normal diets (and that describes most of us) tend to love their Snickers on the trail! When I hear some people describe the energy bars that don't use processed sugar (Clif Bars and others) as tasting like "sawdust" or "cardboard" I often suspect they are accustomed to fair amounts of processed sugar in their diets. Me, I love my Clif Bars!, and you can find them for around a buck each some places on the internet and at Sam's Club.

Bearpaw
03-08-2008, 13:37
When I hear some people describe the energy bars that don't use processed sugar (Clif Bars and others) as tasting like "sawdust" or "cardboard" I often suspect they are accustomed to fair amounts of processed sugar in their diets.

I eat very little sugar beyond those found naturally found in pasta, rice, potatoes or fruits. I still find the taste of a Snickers preferable to most any "healthy" bar out there, and it cost much less.

The only "energy" bars I've found that provide better fuel for walking (versus the higher intensity of running, biking, adventure racing, etc) are Bear Valley's Pemmican and Meal Pak Bars or Probars. They should. They have about twice the calories. Powerbars (which are truly awful), Clif Bars (OK, particularly the carrot cake), and Luna Bars (quite good, despite the estrogen) don't provide me any noticeable advantage over Snickers unless I significantly increase my level of activity beyond mere walking. They just lighten my wallet.

I just feel that, for most people, buying a lot of higher price energy bars for hiking is where the real marketing is going on. To say that Mrs. Baggins couldn't be right despite her personal experience strikes me as falling for the energy bars' marketing.

double d
03-08-2008, 13:40
I think the "power bar" industry started because of the selling power and name recognition of the snickers bar. For me, the snickers bar is tried and true.

Blissful
03-08-2008, 13:46
Not sure I would want caffeine on my hike. Probably negligible in the bar, but caffeine can make you dehydrate quicker. And exercise is supposed to give you more energy. But then again, many hikers drink coffee, too. I found the half caff stuff suits me better. :)

As for vitamins, I took a multi vite every day.

scavenger
03-08-2008, 13:51
they should make snickers with stevia instead of sugar

Bearpaw
03-08-2008, 13:56
they should make snickers with stevia instead of sugar

I'm sure it would taste sweet, but would it still give the kick up a 2,000-ft climb like Snickers? I don't eat much in the way of candy bars in day-to-day life, but on the trail, I enjoy the taste and zap of a Snickers bar.

desdemona
03-09-2008, 00:15
Nothing wrong with Snickers, imo. Whatever floats your boat. Snickers has protein, some fat, and sugars. I like a few M&M's mixed in my gorp. The trouble with these things is not for people hiking. It is for people sitting and watching tv.

--des

Jim Adams
03-09-2008, 13:08
just be careful......the good for your health and hike thing can backfire if you consume more that 10-12 of them a day!:)

geek

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2008, 13:26
Even regular Snickers are great for hikers, both body AND soul.

Hate on them all you want, but there's literally MILLIONS of miles powered by them. Spend 2 bucks a Clif Bar all you want. You get just as solid nourishment with a Snickers, more fat - which by the way is a GOOD thing on a long-distance hike - and all for better taste and about 1/3 the price (especially when you buy several).

Preach on Mrs. Baggins!!

I never eat candy bars EXCEPT when hiking. I don't even eat much of anything that has sugar in it. I'm a "savory" person, not "sweets." In fact when hiking Snickers is about the only sweet thing I eat. I put some dried fruit on my oatmeal but I have to very careful about that. I'm allergic to nickel and developed something really hideous called pomphlox (spelling is probably wrong) on my feet and palms last year after consuming heaps of food containing nickel. According to Web MD the nickel is a "probable" cause but when I looked at the list of foods containing it I had been eating every one of them in huge amounts. As soon as I laid off of them it went away - took 5 months but it went away. Dried fruit is on the list. I like it for bulking up the oatmeal. That's it for the day other than Snickers. I don't even put sugar in my coffee.

JAK
03-09-2008, 13:33
I'm strictly a tea and honey hiker myself, on an intravenous drip.