PDA

View Full Version : '08 SoBo Starting May

Freedom
03-02-2008, 21:10
Is anyone else starting in May and going SoBo? I'm not looking for a particular trail partner... just someone to bounce my checklist off of before I go and perhaps start out with. I'm just getting back from a tour in Iraq and am really in this for the solitude, but just knowing there is someone near by going the same way would be nice. Or even someone hiking roughly the same pace to share commos w/ for safety. This is my first thru-hike so I'm trying to cover all bases. I plan on starting mid-May and ending NLT end of Sept.

Pathfinder
03-02-2008, 21:32
You may want to push back your start time because of the near record breaking snowfalls we have had up here in Maine. The fordings in some parts of the 100 mile wilderness will be treacherous and may not even be possible to cross due to the massive amounts of snow melting. Although this may alter your schedule, you could end up in trouble with these river and stream crossings if you choose to start mid-May.

Freedom
03-02-2008, 22:07
Thanks Pathfinder... good to know.

KG4FAM
03-02-2008, 22:16
You might consider a short section in the south and do a mini flip flop if you want to be hiking in May. Maybe hike to north to Damascus or Hot Springs and then flip to Katahdin and head south. Who are you with in Iraq?

Freedom
03-02-2008, 22:46
Good idea - I'm also considering moving it up to April and going Nobo.

I was with the 29th ID in Baghdad - they are a Va NG unit. We just got back a week ago. I am a free woman 10 Mar this year!!! Wooohooo. Were you there?

Almost There
03-02-2008, 23:07
There are a few of us starting within the first 10 days of June.

Freedom
03-02-2008, 23:25
I have not really kept up with the weather in Maine - will it change that much between mid May and beginning of June?

I'd like to keep in touch with you on this forum. I heard not many people go SoBo, and this is my first go, so any tips you come across specific to SoBo would be helpful to me.

KG4FAM
03-03-2008, 00:25
Good idea - I'm also considering moving it up to April and going Nobo.

I was with the 29th ID in Baghdad - they are a Va NG unit. We just got back a week ago. I am a free woman 10 Mar this year!!! Wooohooo. Were you there?I haven't been across yet, after 13 months of IET with no hold time I am still in training. One month until I am MOSQ in 33W/35T and hitting the trail mid April (I am SC guard). I have a buddy in my class who is 29th ID and going to be out of Belvoir when he gets home. What is your MOS?

If you are planning on ending NLT mid September SOBO then I would suggest getting started with the south in April to knock out a bit of it while you have the extra time. That way you are not rushed on the southbound leg and have gained experience so that Maine is more enjoyable. Of course NOBO is the natural course of action in April, there is still plenty of solitude and there are plenty of people in case of emergency, once you get past the initial dropouts.

surefoot
03-03-2008, 06:43
My son and I will be in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Baxter</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> on June 6<SUP>th</SUP>. Weather permitting, we plan to hike Katahdin the 7<SUP>th</SUP> then hit the trail on the 8<SUP>th</SUP> heading south. If you decide to go south, I would suggest making reservations in the park soon. We already have ours. Good luck to you what ever you decide.

Freedom
03-05-2008, 02:16
Tell your buddy I feel sorry for him/her. The Va Guard sucks. Actually, with my 6 yrs experience, I can now say all guard units suck for the most part. If I had it to do all over again, I would put in my 4 years being super-hooah active duty and get out. My MOS is 63B (light wheel truck mechanic).

Where are you going to be hiking in April?

[quote=33whiskey;556957]I haven't been across yet, after 13 months of IET with no hold time I am still in training. One month until I am MOSQ in 33W/35T and hitting the trail mid April (I am SC guard). I have a buddy in my class who is 29th ID and going to be out of Belvoir when he gets home. What is your MOS?

Freedom
03-05-2008, 02:19
My son and I will be in ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ /><st1:PlaceName w:st=Baxter</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State Park</st1:PlaceType></ST1:place> on June 6<SUP>th</SUP>. Weather permitting, we plan to hike Katahdin the 7<SUP>th</SUP> then hit the trail on the 8<SUP>th</SUP> heading south. If you decide to go south, I would suggest making reservations in the park soon. We already have ours. Good luck to you what ever you decide.

Thanks for that advice. It seems like everyone going SoBo starts in June or late May. Guess I'll have to research the weather patterns more.

boarstone
04-18-2008, 08:10
You may want to push back your start time because of the near record breaking snowfalls we have had up here in Maine. The fordings in some parts of the 100 mile wilderness will be treacherous and may not even be possible to cross due to the massive amounts of snow melting. Although this may alter your schedule, you could end up in trouble with these river and stream crossings if you choose to start mid-May.

Currently up here in the K.I/Jo-Mary area which includes the "100 mile wilderness", we are getting a slow snow melt. Here in the low-lands our snow pack has dropped alarmingly fast. In the woods water is running everywhere, a good sign...snow is melting! With no rain in the forecast thus far, this trend will continue...the Pleasant River out my back door is running normal, no high water, no ice chunks...PM me just before you leave, like the week of, for last minute update on water conditions...:)