PDA

View Full Version : The ever Imaginary "degree rating" vs. What I will see April 1st.

ThoughtFoot
03-03-2008, 01:30
So I know the "degree" or "comfort" rating on a sleeping bag is pretty much hooey anyway, but I'm generally a very cold-blooded person. I have low-blood pressure, and especially when I'm sleeping, I don't always make ample body heat for my extremities. I have a "20 degree" Cat's Meow North Face bag that's tried and true (I've had it since I hiked Philmont in '98.) I also have a much lighter "40 degree" bag I plan on switching out to later on down the road when things get warmer. My question is, however, will the "20" be sufficient for early April in the mountains with my kind of blood pressure? Should I get a lower rated bag? Or is the weight not worth it? Any suggestions?

A-Train
03-03-2008, 01:34
I'd get a silk liner for insurance.

Check out jagbags.com. I've used a liner on both my long hikes and was very glad to have it. Adds 10degrees warmth and will keep your bag clean. Bring some long johns, a hat and a warm top and you'll be fine. Baring the freak storm (can happen) most nights should be a lot warmer than 20.

error
03-03-2008, 01:36
Someone with more experience might comment, but I imagine if you've got enough socks on your feet you should be fine. Maybe you could bring some chemical hand warmers for your feet, or something along those lines, just in case socks aren't fine?

fiddlehead
03-03-2008, 04:38
I also sleep cold. My 20 degree bag is old and has done a lot of hiking. I still would take it for an AT hike. But, i would take my 1 lb. micro-fleece liner for the start thru the smokies. It adds about 10 deg to my bag.

Also, search for and check out threads that mention the old hot water bottle trick. I've used it many times. no sense being cold if you don't have to.

gumball
03-03-2008, 06:21
Ditto on the silk liner. Very lightweight insurance, and it can get soooo cold in the higher altitudes (I am a very cold sleeper).

Egads
03-03-2008, 07:56
Forget the silk liner. Buy a loose fitting Smartwool bottom & top, and a Montbell UL down inner jacket/parka (7oz). More versatile and more warm than a liner.

Egads

rafe
03-03-2008, 09:12
I agree with Egads. Get a 2nd base layer, maybe even a silk one if you're looking to keep it super light. Keep one base layer for hiking, a 2nd one for camp and sleeping.

BR360
03-03-2008, 09:17
For versatility, skip the liners and have additional wool or silk underwear and socks for sleeping. Add a down vest or jacket for additional warmth.

I use a down vest. Keeps my core warm, and fills in the gaps around my core without making me claustrophobic / constrained around my arms.

Last week I camped out at Linville Gorge. Got down to about 10 degrees, plus warmth-sapping wind that seeped thru tent, even behind windbreak. I have an REI sub-Kilo, supposedly a 20 degree bag. I was toasty with my vest on.

Tipi Walter
03-03-2008, 09:19
Here's what I'd do: Take your current bag and sleep out in the yard or on the deck for several nights and experiment. You'll know pretty quick now what to expect on the AT in April. It can get cold on the ridges, especially as the trail follows the high ground and in early April the trees won't even have their leaves yet. I was at 5000 feet last year and camping and noticed the trees were bare in mid-May.

Me? I'd take my zero rated goose down bag in April and not worry about the 3.4 pounds of security and comfort. Anyway, I like wearing the thing wrapped over me like a quilt. Zipped up it's a furnace unless the temps dip to around 20 or below.

saimyoji
03-03-2008, 09:25
Ditto skipping the liner and get an extra set of base layers.

hopefulhiker
03-03-2008, 09:26
I used a silk liner for the whole hike, It adds warmth, is sort of like a sheet at home, keeps bag clean, and can be used by itself when it gets really hot.

A lot of people have a set of camp clothes just meant to wear at night and when they sleep.. I had a down sweater that I wore at night and a pair of long johns and dry socks.. In 05 there was a snow storm outside of Hot Springs and temperatures dropped into the teens.. So it can get cold.. And it will get cold in Maine too..

quasarr
03-03-2008, 09:30
One thing I like to do is heat up some water and put it in a bottle, then snuggle the bottle all night. It's glorious! I've successfully extended the temp range of a sleeping bag like this. And in the morning you have lukewarm water to drink.

However, it's a waste of fuel. And if your bottle leaks, you're in big trouble! So I only use the hot water bottle if there's an unexpected cold night.

Buckles
03-03-2008, 09:42
IMO, a 15 or 20 degree bag is fine, supplemented by a good baselayer, such as, UnderArmour's ColdGear Mock and Leggings. That should keep you nice and toasty.

Lyle
03-03-2008, 10:39
I'll add my vote for a silk liner. The additional layers of silk(or other) underwear would probably work too, but you won't find any with a total weight of 5 oz. which is what a silk liner weighs. Also, my theory is that the liner vs underwear question may well be similar to the mitten vs glove question. I have NO doubt that a mitten is warmer. I may be F.O.S., but that is my theory.

Cuffs
03-03-2008, 10:42
FYI, last April 11th, it was 19* with winds steady at 10-15 mph and gusts even higher...

clured
03-03-2008, 11:35
Err in the direction of being too warm; I started on May 16 last summer, right in the middle of an unseasonable cold snap, and I spent the first two or three nights shivering my buns off in a 20deg. Western Mountaineering bag, and they tend to talk a huge game about how incredibly warm their stuff is. Take a liner, and maybe a set of Patagonia Capilene long johns.

gumball
03-03-2008, 19:41
Yes, I wasn't suggesting you don't also where the long johns/capilenes/silk underoos...heck, I'd be a popsicle if I didn't. I'm just additionally comfortable with the liner when its cold.

And a stocking cap.

Blissful
03-03-2008, 20:12
Silk liner is an excellent idea. My son used his Cats meow for his start and did fine with it, along with POlypro undies and a hat. At times he used his silk liner.

You can use 40 degrees by Memorial Day for sure.

climberdave
03-05-2008, 16:23
I take a 32 bag and wear a synthetic puff jacket/pants and wool hat to increase my sleeping warmth. Also, get a really good ground pad to keep the cold from creeping up. Be careful of the h20 bottle trick as I once awoke to find my sleeping bag frozen to the AT shelter floor and don't forget to eat something right before you go to sleep.
I hope you sleep well.

d