PDA

View Full Version : Miss Janet's

Former Admin
10-05-2002, 17:29
Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Miss Janets.

Lugnut
10-05-2002, 19:48
Admin: You may regret having a thread regarding the pros/cons of specific hostels; especially the ones in Erwin. I stuck up for Uncle Johnny on another site and got nailed to the wall! There are some real problems in Erwin which is too bad since both Janet and Johnny are great people in my book. I will, however, state that it would be impossible to find anyone that would say anything bad about Kincora. Bob and Pat are the benchmarks for those that bend over backwards to help hikers.

Ezra
10-06-2002, 23:42
Hello Lugnut. Where can I read other peoples bad experiences at Uncle Johnnies? I myself had a minor problem with my stop there and was wondering if it was similar to other hikers stays there.

The Weasel
10-07-2002, 20:24
Lugnut:

Hostels tend to bring out some strong opinions, regardless of where we're talking about; I've seen bad ones about The Blueberry Patch, Kincora, Laurel Creek, even The Place in Damascus, and others, as well as many praising them. I don't think there should be ANY hesitation about both praises and criticisms about hostels (or other trail businesses), for two reasons: One, without feedback, the establishments may not know that some of the trail community has a problem with how they operate, and while they may not be terribly happy about hearing it sometimes - and may even disagree - in reality we're doing them a favor, so that they can take a look in the mirror and decide if they want to make changes or not. The other reason is fair warning to the hiker community of whether a place merits staying at or not; most hikers, and ALL thruhikers, have limited budgets, and information in advance from different viewpoints can help avoid problems.

As for getting pounded, this Forum - I speak for ALL the Moderators here - is emphatic that opinions, however strong, are welcome, as long as they do not get malicious, nasty, or personal. If you have an opinion, and can state it in a fair manner, it's not going to get thumped on here. It better not.

The Weasel

Peaks
10-08-2002, 07:14
When there is a "bad" experience at a hostel or otherwhere, and I look a little deeper into it, I have discovered that there is usually two sides to every story. Frequently, I have found that when a hiker has a bad experience at a particular hostel, then proably he started it by doing something that was not acceptable to the hostel owner. And, as I found out, the owner usually had a good point.

It takes two to tangle.

The Weasel
10-08-2002, 12:46
I agree that a lot of problems are relational, i.e. not everything is black and white. But there ARE problems with some hostels, or at least "issues" that people need to know about: I didn't realize until after staying there that Laurel Creek Hostel had - accidentally, they frantically insist, without knowing that was who the group was going to be, since the reservation was made in another name - "hosted" the Ku Klux Klan in their conference center in 1999. Still, that bothered a lot of people. It doesn't even have to be a "bad" thing in some absolute sense; some people are put off by even the unspoken Christianity of the Blueberry Patch (the only way you can tell is there there are a few tracts in a basket on the table), or the constant 'inspections' by Church staff at The Place in Damascus.

We're never going to get both sides of a story in a lot of cases here, but it's still worth while getting someone's viewpoint. I don't think anyone should be inhibited from expressing it, as long as it's done in a reasonable and fair manner. Jensine's story about the bad shuttle situation they just had is a good example. Although I'm sure there is another side to it, she has every right to post her 'take' on what occurred.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2002, 18:26
Just so there is no dispute or misunderstanding over this point, because the facts speak for themselves, let it be stated plainly: Miss Janet's House was the OVERWHELMING favorite place to stay in Erwin for the Class of 2002, who essentially deserted the long-established hostel already in business. Janet is about the kindest person you'll meet on your trip, she's interested in your journey, and not in your bank balance, and you're welcome and treated with respect and courtesy in her home REGARDLESS of where you've decided to lodge in town. She repeatedly performs favors and services that others would demand payment for, including untold favors for non-guests; her overwhelming interest is in providing a fun, happy, well-run, eminently hiker-friendly place where YOU come first; she could care less if you've opted to spend time and money elsewhere, and she doesn't spend half her day trying to make her competitors' lives miserable by interfering with their businesses, or lying to hikers or town officials about her competitor's facilities or operations. In short, this is THE place to stay in Erwin, it's become something of a legendary place in just over a year, and in a remarkably short period of time has become one of the best-spoken of, and most popular hostels on the Trail. Class of 2003, take note, and tell Janet I sent you!

Trail Dog
06-06-2003, 07:55
Miss Janet was just amazing. She is probally THE spot to stay on the AT, i doubt anyone running any sort of hostel on the AT even comes close to caring for the hikers as much as Miss Janet does. Every hiker must at least visit Miss J and thank her. SHe's a great woman.

magic_game03
08-27-2003, 00:59
Trail culture is.

explaining the difference in Uncle Johny and Miss Janets is like explaining the difference in coke and pepsi. It's very discrete.

1. Miss Janet. Miss janet is all about the Trail. She attends trail days, this is important in the hiker community because it shows her desire to be associated and accepted. She calls, emails, and personally talks with people associated with the trail community. this helps everyone learn about what is happening on the trail, who is on the trail, and what hikers might expect on their journey. it is hard to relay how much deeper your connection with the hiker community might become by staying at Miss Janets, but it might! On any given day during the season you might just meet hikers of ancient lore not because they are hiking thru, but because they wanted to stop by Miss Janets, again.

2. Location/Access. Johnys is located right on the trail, but after this fortune you are at the mercy of Johny(to drive you somewhere) or a long walk. On the other hand Miss Janets is about as good a location as you could ask for. Erwin is a small one light town(4 or 5 really, but any one of them could be replaced with a stop sign) this is important because as your stay passes you will constantly be remembering things you have to take care of. At Miss Janets you can take care of about anything in a jiff.

3. Food. As afore mentioned, at Miss Janets, you are located a block from about 10 different places to eat. A grocery store is located about 5 blocks away. kitchen is open all the time. the outdoor grill might be blazing away on any given night. ect, ect, ect.

at Johnnys you have to give johnny your fuel by 9pm. lol. what the hell is that all about! Anyway, you have your choice: what's in your food bag, the tid-bits of overpriced food UJ has, or the time and place UJ takes his group of unfortunates.

i could go on but i think enought has been said about the differences.

WHAT'S the SAME!

well, both will greet you with smiles.
both cost about the same to stay overnight.
food cost is the same no matter how you slice it.
they both have about the same capacity.
ect.

so on the outside all IS the same!

MAGIC GA>ME03

ps. hike your own hike.
pps. Miss Janets rules.

eldwayno
01-05-2004, 02:38
About how far off the trail is Miss Janet's... I hadn't heard of this hostel until recently... definately sounds like one I'll be hitting this year:)

Brushy Sage
01-05-2004, 09:22
The AT runs east of Erwin; Miss Janet's House is in town -- 2-3 miles west of the AT -- an easy hitch. She treats section hikers with respect also. I was there in 2002 as a "thru" hiker, and 2003 as a "section" hiker, and the quality of care was the same: Great!

Trail Dog
01-05-2004, 12:30
last year a police patrol car gave me a lift to miss J's Hitch hiking is technicaly illegal there so the officer said. All you need to do is ask who ever you get a ride from to take you to miss Janets if they dont know where that is just ask them to take you to the post office its a block or two from miss janets house, and there are bound to be hikers somewhere there.

dont forget to get a borito!

LWOP
01-06-2004, 10:19
I always try to avoid such controversy so I am only going to tell about my experience in Erwin during my 2002 hike. I arrived in Erwin early in the morning. The first thing you see coming off the trail is Uncle J's with its big bright soda machine oasis. I walked over and there was a lone hiker eating at one of the tables. The rest of the place seemed deserted. I headed into town with little luck hitching a ride so I walked about half and got a ride the other half. As I entered Miss Janet's there was a lot of activity. Hikers on the computer, others cleaning dishes, backpacks and hikers all over the place. Breakfast was finished but Miss J offered me some anyway. I was directed to select a bunk and shown where there were some clean loaner clothes and a towel. I was told that if I hurried with my chores (Post Office, resupply etc.) Miss J was taking those interested to a ramp festival in Flag Pond. Never been to one of those (and ramps = food) so I went and had a blast. After that about 15 or 20 of us (including those who were not staying at Miss J's) loaded into her van, picked up KFC and a ton of snacks, and headed to a Blue Grass concert. We spread out the biggest blanket I've ever seen and listened and danced and had one of the more memorable nights of my trip. Next day Miss J drove me to an outfitter to get a replacement hip belt buckle to replace the one I broke shortly past Hot Springs. She took me out of the way to Mahoney's because "they have a better selection and prices" than some of the closer establishments. She was right. As she was driving me back to the trail I noticed the driver of a vehicle heading toward us "flipping us the bird". To my quizzical look Miss J only replied "Don't worry, that's only Uncle Johnny. He's a little childish".
This is already a little long but I still want to mention about the cooler of cold beverage complements of Miss J at Sam's Gap. Invitation to Easter Dinner (with about 30 hikers present - fantastic) and I can go on and on.
She is someone you will make a point to visit after your hike is over. :clap

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2004, 21:22
Anyone reading LWOP's great description of his stay at Miss Janet's might have left some folks thinking "Wow, what great timing...he really lucked out and arrived on the right day!" WRONG! What he experienced is typical of a stay at Miss Janet's, which is one of the greatest places on the Trail. Unless you aren't planning on over-nighting in Erwin, or unless you have a compelling reason to stay in a motel, you'd be crazy not to stay at Janet's place. There's a very good reason that Miss Janet is one of the most popular people on the entire A.T., and if you go by her place in Erwin, you'll find out why.

Chappy
01-06-2004, 23:45
Please forgive me if I've put his in the wrong place, but I have question concerning hostels.
I'm totally unfamilair with hostels. Can you describe what would be typical services at each? I understand from reading many of the posts in this section that there are differences, but I'm sure there's some standardization. Bunkbeds in large rooms (like old army barracks), small rooms with bunkbeds? Other services? :confused:

Peaks
01-07-2004, 09:36
Please forgive me if I've put his in the wrong place, but I have question concerning hostels.
I'm totally unfamilair with hostels. Can you describe what would be typical services at each? I understand from reading many of the posts in this section that there are differences, but I'm sure there's some standardization. Bunkbeds in large rooms (like old army barracks), small rooms with bunkbeds? Other services? :confused:

There is a tremedous variety in accomodations. Generally speaking, some bunkrooms are small, and others large. Consider the difference in facilities. Some are in a church basement, some are in an old mansion type building (Like the Ironmaster's and Bear's Den Rocks), some are in a barn or converted garage, some are in private houses.

Most have a mattress, some have just a hard surface (The Place).

Most have kitchen facilities (stove, sink, refrigerator), but Walasi-Y doesn't.

most have indoor plumbing, but not at Woods Hole.

most have hot water, but it's solar heated at Woods Hole and Blackburn.

Some have a washer-dryer, other's don't .

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2004, 15:47
Someone asked where Miss Janet's is..... it's actually in the center of Erwin, just off of Main St. (if you're on Main St., it's one block over, directly behind the Sonic restaurant).

For more details, check www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse or call her at 423-743-1932

Nightwalker
01-10-2004, 16:58
Class of 2003, take note, and tell Janet I sent you!

I get to meet her next weekend at the SORUCK. Even though I don't plan on spending many town nights (I know, things change), I plan on spending one in Erwin, just so I can stay at her hostel.

Frank

Footslogger
01-10-2004, 19:35
Miss Janet ROCKS and her place in Irwin is right up there at the top in terms of places for hikers to stay. Period, paragraph ...end of subject.

Jaybird
01-10-2004, 19:43
i hope to experience, first hand, the kindness of Miss Janet's place in 2004!

Look out Erwin,TN...here comes da Jaybird! :p

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2004, 12:49
Just wanted to check in from Erwin.....am writing from Miss Janet's fabulous and fabled hostel in the center of town; it's a little slow on this grey and rainy morning. Two guys pulled out an hour ago, Enoch and Ku, two very nice fellows. Another guy, Foggy Bottom, from Illinois, has been here a few days after discovering the joys of slackpacking. He doesn't appear to be in any great hurry to leave, having anounced that he could happily stay at Janet's for the rest of his natural life. Guy also eats like the Russians are marchin' up the highway....you really don't wanna get near this man when there's a plate in front of him.

Not a whole lot going on here, tho it'll be LOTS busier in about a week or so; allegedly, well over 350 folks have passed thru Neels Gap (and that might be a very dated figure; it's probably more).

Janet's loking forward very much to a great season; the hostel looks great; for those who enjoy movies, she just added a television whose screen is somewhat larger than my last apartment in Bosotn; stayed up til all hours the other night watching ALL of "Lonesome Dove"; will probably go with "Deliverance" tonight as it's such a cheery little picture.

Nothing much has changed in Erwin itself; best place to eat is still the Erwin Burrito, tho we've been cooking some rather outrageous meals here; watching those 3 guys eat this morning was pretty damned amusing as they probably knocked back enough food for seven people; I dunno how anyone can hike after eating like that; my breakfast was coffee and a Camel, thank you very much. A six-egg omelet and half a ton of home fries is not what I need at 8 in the morning, especialy when I'm not hiking.

Heading out to Kincora later to surprise Bob; really looking forward to it; may get down to Laurel Fork Gorge if I get really motivated..........1.5 miles is a good hike for me these days!

Anyway, best wishes to one and all, especially the 2004 folks who are shortly to hit the Trail. Erwin, for most folks, is about exactly 30 days from Springer; I sure hope all of you guys are planning to hit Janet's, as it's not to be missed.....Miss J. is merely one of your best friends who you haven't happened to meet yet!

Hey! Great idea.....any of you reading this who are alums of Miss Janet's House, send along a Shout Out to this thread and I'll make sure Janet sees it; it'll make her day hearing from some of the veterans. And if any of you haven't sent along a Katahdin shot to either her or Bob, make sure you do, as these guys love hearing from former guests.

Footslogger
03-16-2004, 15:28
Just wanted to check in from Erwin.....am writing from Miss Janet's fabulous and fabled hostel in the center of town; it's a little slow on this grey and rainy morning. Two guys pulled out an hour ago, Enoch and Ku, two very nice fellows. Another guy, Foggy Bottom, from Illinois, has been here a few days after discovering the joys of slackpacking. He doesn't appear to be in any great hurry to leave, having anounced that he could happily stay at Janet's for the rest of his natural life. Guy also eats like the Russians are marchin' up the highway....you really don't wanna get near this man when there's a plate in front of him.

Not a whole lot going on here, tho it'll be LOTS busier in about a week or so; allegedly, well over 350 folks have passed thru Neels Gap (and that might be a very dated figure; it's probably more).

Janet's loking forward very much to a great season; the hostel looks great; for those who enjoy movies, she just added a television whose screen is somewhat larger than my last apartment in Bosotn; stayed up til all hours the other night watching ALL of "Lonesome Dove"; will probably go with "Deliverance" tonight as it's such a cheery little picture.

Nothing much has changed in Erwin itself; best place to eat is still the Erwin Burrito, tho we've been cooking some rather outrageous meals here; watching those 3 guys eat this morning was pretty damned amusing as they probably knocked back enough food for seven people; I dunno how anyone can hike after eating like that; my breakfast was coffee and a Camel, thank you very much. A six-egg omelet and half a ton of home fries is not what I need at 8 in the morning, especialy when I'm not hiking.

Heading out to Kincora later to surprise Bob; really looking forward to it; may get down to Laurel Fork Gorge if I get really motivated..........1.5 miles is a good hike for me these days!

Anyway, best wishes to one and all, especially the 2004 folks who are shortly to hit the Trail. Erwin, for most folks, is about exactly 30 days from Springer; I sure hope all of you guys are planning to hit Janet's, as it's not to be missed.....Miss J. is merely one of your best friends who you haven't happened to meet yet!

Hey! Great idea.....any of you reading this who are alums of Miss Janet's House, send along a Shout Out to this thread and I'll make sure Janet sees it; it'll make her day hearing from some of the veterans. And if any of you haven't sent along a Katahdin shot to either her or Bob, make sure you do, as these guys love hearing from former guests.
==============================

Big "Shout Out" to Miss Janet for hosting that "lasagna feast" during my hike last year, where we all raised a glass in toast to Earl Schaffer (thanks Jack) ...and that's not to mention the multiple trips to Johnson City (courtesty of Miss Janet), for movies and re-supply.

A-Train
03-16-2004, 18:18
Hey to you guys. Wish I was down in Erwin feeding hikers instead of in sunny LA on spring break. Tell Janet that I say hello and will see her at TrailDays and that I hope she got my summit shot. Hope her 3rd year running is as good as the last two.

A-Train

Skeemer
03-16-2004, 22:11
Wish I was there fryin bacon for one of Miss Janet's great breakfasts.

Hey Miss Janet, take that picture of BJack off the frig...it's scarin customers away.

A-Train, what the hell are you doin in L.A. when you should be hikin?

Miss Janet, I might just be hikin up your way in about a month...we'll see.

Jaybird
03-17-2004, 08:12
Just wanted to check in from Erwin.....am writing from Miss Janet's fabulous and fabled hostel in the center of town; it's a little slow on this grey and rainy morning. .................................................. .................................................. ...... send along a Shout Out to this thread and I'll make sure Janet sees it; .................................................. ...............................

Jack:

Glad to see you in Tennessee! Tell Miss Janet..i'll stop by in September on my fall Section hike.

Look foward to seeing you in Hot Springs in May. :D

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2004, 17:47
..am writing from Miss Janet's fabulous and fabled hostel in the center of town;I put this in the Erwin thread jus a minute ago:

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=592&NewsID=534014&CategoryID=7618&on=0

I want to see a 'trip report' about this, Jack!

Lugnut
03-17-2004, 18:55
So, the cat's out of the bag; Jack really is writing a book. My guess is that it will become the "Cadillac" of planning guides. I hope he also puts one together relating his experiences, and escapades, on the trail.

Janet should really be commended for her efforts at promoting good will between hikers and town-folks. It's easy to see why she is among those most respected along the AT.

:clap

Flash Hand
08-11-2004, 18:04
Hey Hikers,

Miss Janet's hostel can be fully occupied. I was almost unfortunate but one of the hiker want to surrender the bed for me.. I even didn't ask for it. So, Miss Janet is becoming popular hostel and might experience no vacany nights. So, go to Uncle Johnny, and make a phone call to Miss Janet to be sure if there is bed or space available, but if not, you can stay at Uncle Johnny for the night before going there the next day. Usually there will be available space in the early morning when hikers left for hiking.

For me, I would be reasonable fair to both of people, sleeping in both of those place. I will get more experience for staying in both place instead of one.

Also, I love the breakfast at Miss Janet's! :banana

Flash Hand :jump

Lugnut
08-12-2004, 00:31
Flash Hand, get ready to DUCK ! :D

Miss Janet
08-12-2004, 02:12
You are welcome to breakfast any time!

IDEALLY, hikers should be able to call and find out if I am full but that is an uncomfortable situation given the location of the nearest pay phone. I do not encourage hikers to use that phone to call my house. This year has been a great improvement over the past 4 years and I don't want to rock the boat. If I am full, hikers can hang around and I will give them a ride to where ever they wish to stay.

Now THIS is the real problem... how do I get you prospective thruhikers to stagger the start of your hikes so that there are an even number of people hiking through Erwin ALL YEAR LONG!!! I really hate this time of the year with NO hikers. SoBo's will be here by the end of Sept or so but until then it can be really boring.

Mountain Dew
08-12-2004, 02:33
The only time Flashhand would have to "get ready to duck" is if he made those same comments to unlce johnny. He'd most likely be drunk and blow up at him. What Flashhand said was perfectly fine. Miss Janet always gives rides to people to uncle johnny's if they choose to go there. Uncle Johnny gives a hiker a ride to Miss Janets (or a motel for that matter) Oh ...hahaaaaa I bet not even in an emergency.

Flash Hand
08-12-2004, 03:35
Flash Hand, get ready to DUCK ! :D

nah.. I am deaf... he can continue blowin up until his face turn red til he realized I won't be able to understand him at all.

Flash Hand :jump

Mountain Dew
08-13-2004, 04:43
:clap I know one sign that you could give him that he's seen alot of from hikers !!!! :banana

Jaybird
08-13-2004, 08:59
Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Miss Janets.

I get to meet, in-person, Miss Janet & hopefully, stay @ her well-known hostel next spring on my 3 week April-May 2005 section hike (w/ "the Model T Crew") ! :D

Cehoffpauir
08-13-2004, 12:00
Now THIS is the real problem... how do I get you prospective thruhikers to stagger the start of your hikes so that there are an even number of people hiking through Erwin ALL YEAR LONG!!! I really hate this time of the year with NO hikers. SoBo's will be here by the end of Sept or so but until then it can be really boring.

Miss J--when the Sobo's come through, you know they'll each be there a week or more! Demanding, insisting, giving you our puppy-dog hiker eyes. So get some rest while you can--I've told them all about your house.

Hey, are you still planning to be at Katahdin the first week of October? I'll be there the 4th 5th and 6th, if you remember, and I really look forward to seeing you again, there.

--HanS.

Rift Zone
08-13-2004, 12:38
Miss Janet: sincerely cares for the hiking community.

Uncle Johnny: Don't. He does care a whole lot about putting the hurt on Miss Janet. Miss Janet is an Angel. Fight the good fight Johnny and humble thy punk self.

Little Frog
04-18-2005, 23:21
Just found this forum and wanted to post my great experience at Miss Janet's last fall (Oct 2004).

Last October I lost my job suddenly and hit the Trail to heal and regroup for a bit. On the net I found a couple of hostels in the area I wanted to hike, and emailed them, but it being late October, I was kinda doubtful I'd get any response that time of year. To my surprise, Miss Janet replied to my email right away, said come on out, and so we arranged a shuttle. (None of the other hostels ever did write back).

I arrived in Erwin the next day and as soon as I saw Miss Janet's quaint and friendly house, I felt at home. Even though it was the off-season for hiking, there were still quite a few hikers there and all were super nice. True to her word, Miss Janet shuttled me and my dog (no prob at all w/dogs) all the way to my dropoff point, which was a much more complicated shuttle than it looked on the maps. I happily donated all I could spare for the shuttle, felt bad that I didn't have more to give, it was a long drive up and down the mountains, took a lot longer than I'd budgeted for. All the while, Miss Janet was so upbeat and encouraging, even offering some cool ideas for work and stuff I could try when I got home. At the trailhead, she took my picture and off we went.

A week later I arrived on a chilly, rainy day. Miss Janet's was such a warm and welcoming place. I had a long hot shower and washed all my stuff in the machine there. There were comfy sofas and tons of movies to watch. "Cold Mountain" was playing in the late afternoon while I waited for my laundry to dry. At bedtime, there was a warm bunk w/mattress and freshly washed sheets and a soft pillow.

Next morning there was a huge breakfast of pancakes, sausage, eggs, OJ, coffee, etc. Incredible. I had to leave soon afterwards, but not without a hug and a warm invitation to come back again from Miss Janet and also some of the hikers I'd met there that weekend.

Can't wait to visit there again and looking forward to seeing Miss Janet at Trail Days in a few weeks!

Little Frog

Mags
04-18-2005, 23:44
And if any of you haven't sent along a Katahdin shot to either her or Bob, make sure you do, as these guys love hearing from former guests.
I discovered the generosity of Miss Janet after my PCT hike (2002) oddly enough. Was on the way to the ALDHA Gathering and ended up staying there one night. Drove up with Miss J and some very happy ATers who had just finished a scant few days before. Was a wonderful time. Wish it was open in 1998 when I went through!

Give Miss J a big ole hug everytime I see her at the ALDHA Gatherings, and stayed there again this past year. Sent her my Katahdin photo this year. Probably the only 1998 one posted. ;)

See if these pics look familiar:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsmisc/aad
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsmisc/aac

Krewzer
04-19-2005, 00:20
Miss Janet has already achieved "trail legend" status in my book. Everything said here about Miss Janet and her place is very true. She's a great lady and it's one of the very best places on the AT to stop.

Unless, you've been there, there's just no way to know what all she does for the AT community. You just have to hang out and watch or listen. She's constantly on the phone, picking up, dropping off, organizing breakfast or dinner, laughing, encouraging, advising, informing, listening, joking, and more. I don't see how she does it.

Miss Janet just loves doing it, all of it, it's not the money. How many can say that about Uncle Johnny. Not many!!!