PDA

View Full Version : dslr camera advice

skinny minnie
03-03-2008, 11:22
Currently I just have a point and click but I want to step up my photography quite a bit. I'm wondering if any of you guys could recommend any in particular. I'd like one that is fairly easy to use and not too complex, but also is a really great product. Can anyone recommend any specific ones, especially from Canon? It's all well and good reading reviews on the web, but it'd be great to have input from you guys, especially since I'm assuming you use yours outdoors a lot!

I'd be using it for a lot of outdoor/travel photography and also still-life compositions.

Midway Sam
03-03-2008, 11:27
Currently I just have a point and click but I want to step up my photography quite a bit. I'm wondering if any of you guys could recommend any in particular. I'd like one that is fairly easy to use and not too complex, but also is a really great product. Can anyone recommend any specific ones, especially from Canon? It's all well and good reading reviews on the web, but it'd be great to have input from you guys, especially since I'm assuming you use yours outdoors a lot!

I'd be using it for a lot of outdoor/travel photography and also still-life compositions.

I am a happy owner of a Canon Digital Rebel Xti. It is a small DSLR, but I don't mind the feel of the compact body and have not felt limited with the compact image sensor. Canon has announced a new body, the Digital Rebel Xsi that looks to be VERY nice.

I am a rank amatuer who compensates for his lack of skill by taking LOTS of images and then sifting through them when I get home. Visit my Whiteblaze Gallery for a few images shot with my Rebel that I felt were worthy of posting. I'll add a few more in the next hour or so...

taildragger
03-03-2008, 11:38

I wouldn't get the latest and greatest unless you need it. A 6.1 MP camera can still do larger prints if you know what you're doing.

Personally, if I were to get another DSLR it would be either the Nikon D200 or D300 (I'm a Nikon fan :banana for SLRs). Get something with a body strong enough to support the lenses that you expect to use. All of the Canon DSLR's that have been produced in that last few years are great, but one thing that is more important than how fancy your camera is, glass. Get good lenses, I got a Tokina 18-200 for versatility and the fact that it wouldn't bust my budget, this thing doesn't take reliable images, I often play with exposure. Whereas my two sigma lenses (older manual lenses) and my nikon 50mm prime take wonderful images, even with my D100 (which is potentially for sale if you're interested)

One last thing, make sure that the camera has a bulb option, that was the sole reason that I didn't get the D70 when I bought my camera, a bulb option allows for a lot more tricks with night shots.

Lyle
03-03-2008, 12:16
I'm in the same boat. Back in the 80's and early 90's I got into film SLR. Got myself a fully manual Nikon FM2 and a small assortment of lenses. That camera and my favorite lens was stolen. I replaced it at the time with a point and shoot Pentax. Around 2001 I decided to get a SLR again, so bought the much more affordable FM10. Decent camera for beginners, but not comparable to my old FM2. Never ended up using it a whole lot, moved on to P&S digitals. I'm now looking at DSLRs.

I'm impressed with the following (under $1000):

Nikon D80
Nikon D40x
The new Nikon D60
But also impressed with what I've heard about the Pentax K10D

The Nikons could take advantage of my old manual lenses, but the ones I have left were not highly used, I much preferred the one that got stolen.

Any thoughts from first hand experience on any of these? Any educated opinions? Any others I should definitely take a look at and consider?

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I think this this is refining the info initially requested.

Taildragger, if I had the money, the D300 would be on it's way to me already! :-)

I like these reviews, he uses the same tests for all models, then posts the same shots for each test. Makes it easy to compare one model to another.
http://www.dcresource.com/

taildragger
03-03-2008, 14:22
Taildragger, if I had the money, the D300 would be on it's way to me already! :-)

I think that I would stick with a Nikon or a Canon, but then again I can tell the difference between a shot with OK glass and good glass. You have more lens options with these cameras.

I've heard good things about the "consumer" grade DSLR's from both camps. Personally, I was used to an FM10 and didn't like their interfaces. I love my D100, I just wish that it didn't tend to be so blue...(older CCD and D-TTL technology).

The D70-D80 are both good cameras, I just do a lot of lightning shots, so I wanted the option of a bulb mode.

All of them will take excellent pictures depending on what you want to do. For me I found that most of the stuff that I shot I could use a good P&S style camera, so now I am experimenting with one.

If you're gonna be using this camera mainly just to take snapshots, then I'd get something like the Canon G9 instead, if you're doing just a few more artistic shots with it, I'd consider using slide film (to me there is no replacement for the color depth that you get with slide).

Right now maybe a good time to pickup a d200 cheap, I remember playing with one of these when they first came out, it was wicked sweet, fast, and quiet.

The Solemates
03-03-2008, 15:49
:mad: I had a Pentax until I left in it a cab in Boston :mad:

I loved it

Spastic
03-03-2008, 16:17
I got a Kodak Z712IS slr that takes great pictures and videos, but lasted only two weeks before it died unexpectedly and would not turn on again. Bought it in January, dead by Febuary. Apparently this is a common problem with Kodak. This is the second Kodak lemon I've bought. I would NEVER buy Kodak again. That being said, Canon makes great cameras that don't suffer from the quality control problems that Kodak does.

skinny minnie
03-03-2008, 19:14
If you're gonna be using this camera mainly just to take snapshots, then I'd get something like the Canon G9 instead, if you're doing just a few more artistic shots with it, I'd consider using slide film (to me there is no replacement for the color depth that you get with slide).

Right now maybe a good time to pickup a d200 cheap, I remember playing with one of these when they first came out, it was wicked sweet, fast, and quiet.

Yeah, it needs to be as professional and aesthetically strong as I can learn to make it; it's not just going to be for fun snapshots but is a pretty important next step for promoting myself and my work. I know I'm ridiculously clueless now, but I just need to learn the technical stuff and that will come with time and effort - I work as an artist now so I'm pretty confidant about aesthetics and whatnot. Color needs to be good but I really like the idea of digital because I am not at all familiar with traditional film and digital is a little more immediate. Plus I'm familiar with photoshop/ have CS3 already, not that I want to rely on it for color manipulation or much of anything. But it makes digital that much more appealing to me.

There is a Nikon D200 10.2 MP (body only) on sale at Amazon for $560, is that good?

or

This was listed $1100 or BO:

Nikon D200. MB 200 battery grip that looks like a motor drive. Including a 50mm f1.8 lens, 1 battery and all manuals. Works great, used little. Upgrading, Make an offer.

taildragger
03-03-2008, 19:30
There is a Nikon D200 10.2 MP (body only) on sale at Amazon for $560, is that good?

or

This was listed $1100 or BO:

Nikon D200. MB 200 battery grip that looks like a motor drive. Including a 50mm f1.8 lens, 1 battery and all manuals. Works great, used little. Upgrading, Make an offer.

Nikonians.com for good information on the nikon cameras and glass

jnohs
03-03-2008, 20:28
MY wife and I bring a nikon d70s. I have to say that it is one of my best investiments ever. we got an upgraded lens 2 gig cards and never even fill up one. but I personally wouldnt go below the d70 the body is substantialy better built and stronger and sterdier any of the lesser models. and wow it takes amazing pictures and rings in under a thousand. so it is a small investment but I think it takes the best pictures for the money and is definatly out of the cheasy class in off the bottem of the high end class but also not crazy. A very very good investiment. sorry i sound like im preaching but i love my camera. and we bring it regardless of its weight. our 1 true luxary item.
we just keep it in a double zip lock.

mark.k.watson
03-03-2008, 22:04
I just took my 10,000th photo on my Canon Rebel Xti and have loved it in allmost all aspects. My biggest pet peeve is that it has a noisy shutter. Even with the fake shutter sound turned off you would not want to depend on this for wildlife photography to get multiple shots.
I feel that it is a very good beginner camera that produces professional quality photos.

On the Nikon end, my wife shoots a Nikon D70, yes the battle continues, and she takes phenominal pics with it.
If you are worried about quality don't be. We have blown pics up to 30X40 on both and have had wonderful sucess.

Happy shooting

Shutterbug
03-04-2008, 00:14

If you can afford the best nonprofessional camera on the market, consider the Nikon D300, but remember that the camera body is less important than the lense. The Nikon 18-200 VR lense is the one I use 95% of the time. Here is a link to a review of the lense:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

And, here is a link to a review of the D300 cameral body:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082313nikond300.asp

rafe
03-04-2008, 00:19
Best non-professional camera on the market? :-? What an odd category. ;) For my money, another 10-20% buys a Canon DSLR with a full-frame sensor.

tagalong hiker
03-04-2008, 01:38
mark hows the battery life on the rebel ,just got mine ,and will be heading out in a month for our section hike. I have the rebel 2000slr and love it and decieded to go digital. so far i have had a short period of time to tinker with it but the pics it puts out are great. colors are nice and crisp.
the only thing im worried about is how long the batteries will hold up and do you take them out of the camera at night

Heater
03-04-2008, 04:13
Best non-professional camera on the market? :-? What an odd category. ;) For my money, another 10-20% buys a Canon DSLR with a full-frame sensor.

Are you talkng about the Canon EOS 5D? :-?

rafe
03-04-2008, 07:38
Are you talkng about the Canon EOS 5D? :-?

Yes. I know that's a hard thing to suggest to a die-hard Nikon fan. :cool: I had to face that decision several years ago (when I bought a Canon 10D.) My Nikons have been gathering dust ever since.

Heater
03-04-2008, 08:24
Yes. I know that's a hard thing to suggest to a die-hard Nikon fan. :cool: I had to face that decision several years ago (when I bought a Canon 10D.) My Nikons have been gathering dust ever since.

I have been considering getting this camera as my first DSLR. I know it is a little pricey but I think it is the best out there for the money.

What lens(es) do you use with your 10D?

Have you tried the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx) ? The reason I ask is there is a "package deal" going around on the 5D with this lens.

rafe
03-04-2008, 08:32
I have been considering getting this camera as my first DSLR. I know it is a little pricey but I think it is the best out there for the money.

What lens(es) do you use with your 10D?

Have you tried the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx) ? The reason I ask is there is a "package deal" going around on the 5D with this lens.

The 5D is the closest thing to an "affordable" full-frame-sensor DSLR. I have the Canon 17-40 EF/L zoom. Of course, on the 10D, it's more like a 28-70. Nice lens!

I have a half-dozen lenses for my old (35 mm) Nikon SLRs. A few Nikon-branded, some off-brands. Probably sell them on eBay some day...

Ender
03-04-2008, 11:19
Someone once told me that the difference between Nikon and Canon is this... Canon is the best camera designed by engineers, and Nikon is the best camera designed by photographers. They both have their strengths, and both have their weaknesses. Both are top notch cameras.

Now with the introduction of the Nikon D3, Nikon enters the full frame realm of digital SLR's. It's supposedly the best DSLR out there for lower light conditions, but it's also a 12MP camera (capable of ISO 25600, by the way)vs. the higher MP's of the Canons'.

I often hear that Nikon's are a little more user friendly, but Canon's are a little more technical. Either way, you will not be dissapointed, and that is really the thing... either maker will give you a superb camera that will last for years.

taildragger
03-04-2008, 13:11
Someone once told me that the difference between Nikon and Canon is this... Canon is the best camera designed by engineers, and Nikon is the best camera designed by photographers. They both have their strengths, and both have their weaknesses. Both are top notch cameras.

Now with the introduction of the Nikon D3, Nikon enters the full frame realm of digital SLR's. It's supposedly the best DSLR out there for lower light conditions, but it's also a 12MP camera (capable of ISO 25600, by the way)vs. the higher MP's of the Canons'.

I often hear that Nikon's are a little more user friendly, but Canon's are a little more technical. Either way, you will not be dissapointed, and that is really the thing... either maker will give you a superb camera that will last for years.

The thing that got me about Canon, was the lack of "wheels" to control modes w/o using the display. I hardly ever use the display on my D100. The Canons that I used to mess with were less friendly with fast adjustments, and fast adjustments is something that I am prone to do.

mark.k.watson
03-04-2008, 13:19
mark hows the battery life on the rebel ,just got mine ,and will be heading out in a month for our section hike. I have the rebel 2000slr and love it and decieded to go digital. so far i have had a short period of time to tinker with it but the pics it puts out are great. colors are nice and crisp.
the only thing im worried about is how long the batteries will hold up and do you take them out of the camera at night

Battery life is good. I get by for a week when I shoot A LOT, with flash. When I am out taking fewer pics I have lasted a month. I don't know how prolonged cold will affect the batteries, but the charger does not weigh that much and it is fairly compact.

Lyle
03-22-2008, 23:26
Just thought I'd throw this out.

I decided to go with a Nikon D40, based on excellent reviews, excellent photo quality, compact size, light weight, and low price (especially since the D60 came out last month which is very similar). Under $500.00 for the Body, 18-55mm lens (great reviews for a kit lens), and a 4 gig SD card.

I ordered it through Amazon, should be here Monday. Can't wait! This combo should be just about 1.5 lb +/- a bit. I think this is a fantastic weight for a dSLR. Well worth it for the higher quality photos and added control. Want to eventually replace the kit lens with a Nikon 18 - 200 mm with vibration reduction, but that will have to wait a bit, it's expensive. It will be a more useful telephoto. It also gets great reviews and was recommended by my local photo shop, a guy I trust who has steered me right in the past.

Anyone else interested in dSLR for backpacking, check it out.

skinny minnie
03-23-2008, 20:12
Just thought I'd throw this out.

I decided to go with a Nikon D40, based on excellent reviews, excellent photo quality, compact size, light weight, and low price (especially since the D60 came out last month which is very similar). Under $500.00 for the Body, 18-55mm lens (great reviews for a kit lens), and a 4 gig SD card.

I ordered it through Amazon, should be here Monday. Can't wait! This combo should be just about 1.5 lb +/- a bit. I think this is a fantastic weight for a dSLR. Well worth it for the higher quality photos and added control. Want to eventually replace the kit lens with a Nikon 18 - 200 mm with vibration reduction, but that will have to wait a bit, it's expensive. It will be a more useful telephoto. It also gets great reviews and was recommended by my local photo shop, a guy I trust who has steered me right in the past.

Anyone else interested in dSLR for backpacking, check it out.

Let me know how it is - I just found out a friend of mine has that camera and she is VERY happy with it... I'm waiting/keeping my fingers crossed for a good tax return so I can buy something!

mark.k.watson
03-23-2008, 23:20
Definately interested to hear of quality and results from the D40. I have heard nothing but negative things about it and am interested if there is anyone out there who likes it.
Can't remember for the life of me what the shooters did not like. Just know we brought it up in conversation and they said run away!!! Ahhhhhh.
Please update.

winger
03-24-2008, 08:46
I would recommend, as an introductory DSLR, the D60, over the D40x.
I have a D80 and if I could afford it, would have the D300. As referred to above check out the review on www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com). My point and shoot compact camera is the Canon SD550.

Lyle
03-24-2008, 10:11
Definately interested to hear of quality and results from the D40. I have heard nothing but negative things about it and am interested if there is anyone out there who likes it.
Can't remember for the life of me what the shooters did not like. Just know we brought it up in conversation and they said run away!!! Ahhhhhh.
Please update.

Have no idea who you're talking to, but here is a quote from one of the MANY positive reviews. This particular one came from a review of the D60 which is VERY, VERY similar. Maybe this explains your friend's comments:

"It's easy for a camera reviewer with access to the latest, greatest high end gear to get snobbish about entry level cameras, but we all found the D60 to be a camera that's incredibly easy to like and one that's surprisingly enjoyable to use."

From the same review:

"...the D40 sold so well (and continues to do so) because it hits all the right buttons for its target market; it's small, well made, incredibly easy to use, produces great results and, crucially, the most affordable Nikon digital SLR ever made."

Couldn't find any professional reviews that didn't praise this camera, very few user reviews were negative.

I'm sure it will do fine for my purposes, and obviously for many other's. I may get a larger, more expensive dSLR in the future, but for backpacking, this seems ideal.

ryaex
03-25-2008, 18:07
For a first DSLR camera, try looking at the Nikon D40. It has all the features you really need at a very affordable price. Everyone seems to be throwing out recommendations on expensive camera's and then at the end of their post say " more important than the camera body is the lense" so get a good and fairly cheap body and put your money into lenses. I know a few professional photographers that love the D40 because it can do almost everything a more expensive camera can do and yet won't break the bank.
Check out this site.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

Most Dslr users really don't know how to operate their camera's to get the full use out of them. I'd recommend starting small and if you get to the point of photographical mastery where you require a camera with a couple more features then move up.
Alot of money involved in this topic

hth

drivebyjustin
03-25-2008, 18:11
except the d40 does not have a screw drive for non-motorized lenses. i have a 50mm prime that i love for low light that focuses via the cameras drive motor. d40 will not do that so there are definitely some lenses that are not compatible with the d40.

i use, and love, my d50 fwiw but if i had the cash i would step up to a 80 or 300.

Lyle
03-25-2008, 19:41
except the d40 does not have a screw drive for non-motorized lenses. i have a 50mm prime that i love for low light that focuses via the cameras drive motor. d40 will not do that so there are definitely some lenses that are not compatible with the d40.

i use, and love, my d50 fwiw but if i had the cash i would step up to a 80 or 300.

I did consider this since I do have some old manual focus Nikkor lenses laying around. Decided to buy a used FM2 for those. Had that camera years ago and loved it, so partly nostalgia.:)

My final thought about the dSLR, though, was that the DX lenses (the Nikkor lenses made specifically for Nikon's digital, APS size cameras are much smaller and lighter than equivalent 35mm lenses - better for backpacking. Once I spend the money on the 18 - 200 mm lens that I want, I will be set for the foreseeable future. I seriously considered the D80 (could have used my old Manual lenses on that, but I have no old AF lenses), but by getting the much cheaper D40, I can afford this better lens.

As mentioned above, much money involved here and a LOT of great choices - tough decisions. Best thing to do is just decide on SOMETHING!

Now I don't have to worry about it anymore, the damage is done! I'm happy!:sun