PDA

View Full Version : General questions

EMAN
03-03-2008, 13:43
As I was out hiking this weekend, a few questions about the trail popped into my head. And I'm sure most of this has already been answered here time and again.
I wondered what the incidence of someone getting lost along the trail is. Does anyone know?
If you've done the trail both directions, which way did you prefer? Which way would you do it again?
Is the estimate for cost of doing the trail around $2 a mile? Could you do it for half that? Is a lot of that cost town days?
Don't have my list with me but that's a start.
Thanks.

DesertMTB
03-03-2008, 14:37
I think it would be pretty hard to get really lost on the AT. However, my brother and I continued on the blue blaze at Muskrat Creek shelter and didn't realize it until 10 miles later when the trail ended abruptly.

Midway Sam
03-03-2008, 14:43
I'd say quite a few folks get turned around on the trail, but never truly "lost". I was heading northbound near Dan Gap in Georgia and met a guy heading southbound. We struck up a conversation and he said that he was looking forward to spending the night at the hostel at Neels Gap and that was wondering how long ago I passed it. Apparently he had sat down at the intersection of the AT and the side trail to Woods Hole Shelter and then headed the wrong way when he got up. He argued with me for 5 minutes over which direction I was heading.

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2008, 15:00
It is not uncommon to get sidetracked a little, usually from not paying attention, sometimes from poor trail markings. Sometimes it takes a while to find the trail on the the other side of the road or you think you're off the trail because there are no blazes visible even though you are on it.

There are several threads on the cost of a thru-hike and how cheaply it can be done. http://www.google.com/search?q=cost%20%20thru-hike%20site%3Awhiteblaze.net&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

There are also threads on NOBO vs. SOBO:
http://www.google.com/search?q=nobo%20vs.%20sobo%20site%3Awhiteblaze.net&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

fiddlehead
03-03-2008, 15:33
Yeah, you may lose the trail a little from time to time but it is well marked so if you don't see a blaze for a while, just go back till you do. The worst i ever got lost was when i thought i was on the trail and then went to get water, turned out the trail had been changed and i was actually off the trail on a different side than i thought. I had a map and things just weren't making sense. Ended up going all the way down the mtn as it was very steep and i didn't want to go back up. Twas in the Smokies. It's a long way down. I lost a day. cursed the blaze painter a lot.

I hiked the trail both ways and definitely prefer SOBO. Main reason: a lot less hikers around. It is more of a wilderness experience and less of a party moving together. (up to you what you want out of your hike of course)

$2 a mile is minimum in my book. You just want a shower and clean clothes more often than you can afford them. and beer and protein type foods (meat) .
Are you really asking if town is where most of your money is spent?

DesertMTB
03-03-2008, 15:42
Are you really asking if town is where most of your money is spent?

I think he is referring to the vending machines at the shelters:D

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2008, 15:45
It looks like he's referring to "zero days" as "town days". The answer would be yes, much of the expense of a thru-hike can be eliminated if you don't spend the night in towns and only resupply, do laundry and shower if possible, maybe eat, and then leave without spending the night. But zeros may be necessary for your body to heal. You could spend them at shelters or at low-cost hostels and skip expensive town stays.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 16:39
As I was out hiking this weekend, a few questions about the trail popped into my head. And I'm sure most of this has already been answered here time and again.
I wondered what the incidence of someone getting lost along the trail is. Does anyone know?
If you've done the trail both directions, which way did you prefer? Which way would you do it again?
Is the estimate for cost of doing the trail around $2 a mile? Could you do it for half that? Is a lot of that cost town days?
Don't have my list with me but that's a start.
Thanks.

getting lost is rare
i prefer SOBO
$2.50 per mile is comfortable.