PDA

View Full Version : Mass weekend route?

Elmer
03-03-2008, 14:34
Hey all.
New user here and very impressed so far.....seems like a great community to be a part of. Quick question, I am planning a long-weekend (3-4 day) hike on the AT. It would be my first time on the AT and want to make the best of it. I live in Massachusetts and was wondering if anyone had ideas about the best section to hit in my area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Solemates
03-03-2008, 15:47
I'd start at the CT/MA state line and hike northbound for 3 days.

Actually, let me take that back. I'd add 3 days to my trip and do the whole state, which is only 90 miles. :)

Tin Man
03-03-2008, 16:26
The Mount Greylock area offers several loop options as well as spectacular views from the top.

Elmer
03-03-2008, 16:47
I knew I'd like this place!! THANX! Keep 'em coming!

rafe
03-03-2008, 17:04
Greylock is the biggest climb on the AT in MA. But Sages Ravine is probably the nicest spot, IMO -- right on the CT/MA line. The AT in MA is pretty flat between Rte. 20 and Cheshire.

skinny minnie
03-03-2008, 19:26
I second the vote for Sage's Ravine - very pretty site to camp at. Plus, in the summer there are tons of blueberries on Bear Mt. ! And it's the highest peak in Ct. (don't quote me though... but I think it is) I did a two day hike through there this summer and definitely preferred it over Greylock. And you could easily plan/execute a 3-4 day hike through the area. But I guess it depends how many miles you plan on covering per day and how far back on the trail in CT you start.

Tin Man
03-03-2008, 19:53
I second the vote for Sage's Ravine - very pretty site to camp at. Plus, in the summer there are tons of blueberries on Bear Mt. ! And it's the highest peak in Ct. (don't quote me though... but I think it is) I did a two day hike through there this summer and definitely preferred it over Greylock. And you could easily plan/execute a 3-4 day hike through the area. But I guess it depends how many miles you plan on covering per day and how far back on the trail in CT you start.

The ridge walk north of Sage's Ravine leading to Mt. Race is totally awesome. The trail hugs a steep drop to the right making for an excellent place to take a break, snack, lunch, whatever and enjoy the views of the hawks soaring over the valley below.

Note on Sage's Ravine campsite: no campfires are allowed and there is a caretaker in the summer to keep you honest.

rickb
03-03-2008, 20:04
Head to NH.

Not much farther, and a whole world of hiking possibilities on and off the AT.

burger
03-03-2008, 22:14
I agree with everyone who suggest Sage's Ravine to Jug End or S. Egremont (don't bother going past there--it's flat, dull, and buggy).

If you want to stay on the AT, you could hike from Dalton to Williamstown. That's scenic, and you'll get to "summit" Mt. Greylock. If that's not enough mileage for a long weekend, you could start further south at Upper Goose Pond, which is a nice spot and has pancakes!

jaiden
03-03-2008, 22:57
Hey all.
New user here and very impressed so far.....seems like a great community to be a part of. Quick question, I am planning a long-weekend (3-4 day) hike on the AT. It would be my first time on the AT and want to make the best of it. I live in Massachusetts and was wondering if anyone had ideas about the best section to hit in my area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget, the AT isn't the only trail in MA. The Metacomet-Monadnock trail has some really nice spots in central MA near Holyoke. Mt. Tom and Mt. Holyoke and their ranges are my favorites. http://www.amcberkshire.org/mm-trail

There's also a Mid-State trail which I've not been to yet.
http://www.midstatetrail.org/

I'm in central MA myself, and I also recommend trips to NH and VT and Maine.

rafe
03-03-2008, 23:35
There's also a Mid-State trail which I've not been to yet. http://www.midstatetrail.org/

I did the MA mid-state trail last summer as prep for my AT section hike. It's pleasant, and not at all difficult. No huge verticals, lots of road-walking. The major verticals are at the very north end (Mt. Watatic) and Mt. Wachusett, about 1/3 of the way down from the MA/NH line. It's historically significant to the AT in a curious way -- it appears Benton MacKaye may have climbed Mt. Watatic many times as a youngster. I've got a few photos here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/thumbnails.php?album=9).

horicon
03-04-2008, 10:31
What are the trail condtions on the AT in Mass?? How much snow and ice? How deep??

jaiden
03-04-2008, 11:27
you may find this useful too http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/

Cosmo
03-06-2008, 22:20
As of Sunday, there was 2 to 3 ft of snow. Now that it has rained for two days, it's probably a little less deep. More rain on the way Saturday. Freezing temps will make it crunchy. Conditions change literally day to day this time of year. I'd carry snowshoes AND a rain coat.

Forget those people who said not to go north of Jug End. Start at Undermountain Trail on Rt 41 in CT which puts you on the AT just south of Bear Mtn. Hike North to Upper Goose pond.

Day 1, Hemlocks Shelter
Day 2, Tom Leonard Shelter
Day 3, Shaker Campsite
Day 4, Upper Goose Pond Cabin.

Cosmo

What are the trail condtions on the AT in Mass?? How much snow and ice? How deep??

Yahtzee
03-06-2008, 22:35
Start in Salisbury.
3 days 29.8 miles to Great Barrington
4 days 41 miles to Tyringham

The 15 southernmost miles of Mass. AT are spectacular. Now, that opinion may have something to do with not seeing a vast mountain vista for 700 miles when I was thruhiking. It might not have the same effect on someone who hikes in the Whites regularly, but those miles are still some of my favorites. The walk along the top of Race Mountain is a joy. Last time I was there the clouds hung completely below the trail. It looked like you could walk on them.

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 22:38
I agree, Race Mtn is awesome.

rafe
03-06-2008, 23:21
I agree, Race Mtn is awesome.

I hit the mutha on a hazy 100-degree day. It was mean. There's not much shade to be found on top. I was literally dashing from one tiny shade-oasis to the next. I'm sure it's beautiful in better weather.

Tin Man
03-07-2008, 00:15
I hit the mutha on a hazy 100-degree day. It was mean. There's not much shade to be found on top. I was literally dashing from one tiny shade-oasis to the next. I'm sure it's beautiful in better weather.

The beauty of section hiking in the fall - priceless.

Tin Man
03-09-2008, 13:31
Here is a pic from Race Mtn.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6985

Tinker
03-09-2008, 22:43
Cosmo has the right idea.

Undermountain trail to the AT, then north.

I remember a lot of muddy puddles between the state line and Jug End, though.

Or you could hike from Rte. 2 into Vermont.

Elmer
03-10-2008, 15:09
This is great, I appreciate it! You're making the planning much easier.