PDA

View Full Version : NIDO vs Non-Fat

GratefulHike
03-03-2008, 14:43
couple of questions for the trail chefs in the forums...

Does NIDO tast that much better than generic non-fat dried milk?

If so where do you find NIDO. I have looked at all the grocery stores and superstore, walmart, targets, etc. If it was in any of these stores would it be where the regular dried milk is at???

Midway Sam
03-03-2008, 14:47
I think it tastes fine, but don't expect the same taste as a tall glass of cold whole milk. To me, it actually tasted like whole milk that is a few days past the expiration date.

You will find it at Wal-Mart/Krogers/Food Lion in the ethnic food section, with the hispanic/latin foods.

Here's the can you are looking for...

http://www.amazon.com/Nido-Whole-Milk-Mexico-1-98lb/dp/B000LRIIA6/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1204570199&sr=8-4

Feral Bill
03-03-2008, 14:47
Much better. I get mine at an Asian grocery.

T-Dubs
03-03-2008, 14:50
I got it at Krogers, again in the specialty/ethnic food aisle. I mixed it with an Instant Breakfast product.

TWS

Creek Dancer
03-03-2008, 15:06
That's exactly how I've been using it T-Dubs! Lots of calories, extra hydration and vitamins. I don't use it quite full strength though. I think it's like 3 scoopes for a cup. I use maybe 2 scoops instead. I have also added it to soups to make them a little more creamy.

P.S. I can't stand regular low-fat dried milk. Maybe because it takes like the stuff I used to drink when I lived overseas in the 60's as a kid.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 15:13
Tastes very good and makes the best Instant Breakfast going. Great for other cooking, too. I add it to noodles frequently.

Hammock Hanger
03-03-2008, 15:26
I tried very dry milk out there (that I could find) and am hooked on NIDO by Nestle. It has calories which are need on the trail, it is not fat free. I can actually drink it straight with water like a glass of milk when the water is cold. It helps to make creamy Lipton dinners, mac and cheese, & potatoes. I too like it in the morning with some instant breakfast. I have found it in the ethnic and baby food sections.

fiddlehead
03-03-2008, 15:58
I've found fat dry milk in France, Thailand, Mexico and South America but it's tough to find in the states i believe.
it is definitely a better choice if you can get it. Much tastier and more power.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 17:02
Typically, you only find it in the ethnic food section of major grocers, and just about any ethnic market. Ethnic markets can be great sources of dried vegies, fruit and meats/fish.

Farr Away
03-03-2008, 18:12
I'll actually drink Nido in my coffee, although on short trips I'll still carry the half and half singles.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-04-2008, 11:04
Our Wal Mart also has bulk size cans of Nido in the "large containers" section - you know where they have a gallon of mayo, brownie mix to feed 100, etc.

vonfrick
03-04-2008, 11:22
Here's the can you are looking for...

http://www.amazon.com/Nido-Whole-Milk-Mexico-1-98lb/dp/B000LRIIA6/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1204570199&sr=8-4

THANKS!!! couldn't find it anywhere, and gave up. :D

EMAN
03-04-2008, 13:30
Has anyone else tried mixing the stuff with Instant breakfast AND cereal? Or just cereal? Not bad for something other than oatmeal.

orangebug
03-04-2008, 14:02
I usually heat a bit of water and make hot Instant Breakfast that I drink for my Nalgene over the course of the first few miles. And it is super in oatmeal but I've not tried other cereals on the trail. It makes Hot Cocoa very rich at night.

Midway Sam
03-04-2008, 14:30
Has anyone else tried mixing the stuff with Instant breakfast AND cereal? Or just cereal? Not bad for something other than oatmeal.

I've done both with great success. You want to stick with "heartier" cereals like Grape Nuts, Muesli, Granola, etc.

sarbar
03-04-2008, 16:16
I use NIDO if I can over nonfat dry milk. Just has a better texture in meals. I don't drink milk though so don't ask me how it tastes plain.

In many meals though I use coconut cream powder instead. The stuff is pure fat and blends right in.

vaporjourney
03-04-2008, 18:21
Where can you find coconut cream powder sarbar? That sounds really tasty. And if it's pure fat, then that makes for a great calorie to gram ratio.

sarbar
03-04-2008, 19:22
Where can you find coconut cream powder sarbar? That sounds really tasty. And if it's pure fat, then that makes for a great calorie to gram ratio.

Asian grocery stores always have it, some better stocked grocery stores are starting to pick it up as well. You can also get it online as well from many places. I worked for a Thai importer for a couple years and that is where I got hooked on it. (I do sell it on my site as well)

You can often get it in small 1.76 ounce foil pouches which is 3 servings total. Each serving is 9.5 grams of fat, 1.3 g protein, 12 mg sodium and just over 1 g carbs. Yes, it is saturated fat, but it isn't animal based saturated. It is 96 calories per serving, 86 of which is fat. (A serving is 15 grams or .59 of an ounce).

You don't need to carry oil if you use it. I use it in the same ratio of dry milk (if you'd use a Tablespoon dry milk......) The only thing it doesn't work in is instant puddings due to no lactose for set up.

Fiddleback
03-04-2008, 19:52
Carnation Instant Breakfast, Nido, and a spoonful of Medaglia d'Oro Instant Expresso. Add a couple bars of Logan Bread and I'm good to go...it's a lot of calories yet a relatively light breakfast.:sun

I've been pre-mixing and sifting the powders at home which gives a fast and relatively clump-free stir in camp.

FB

Blissful
03-04-2008, 19:58
I liked Nido though it did have a little bit of a coconut kind of taste to it. We used it primarily in Carnation Instant breakfast. My son, Paul Bunyan hated it.

I'll probably stick with the normal dehydrated stuff.

EMAN
03-05-2008, 09:57
I'm sure if you use NIDO you are aware of this but they also make that as a cappucino mix. And as disgusting as it may sound, since so far all I do is boil water to do meals etc., I am guilty of combining things. NIDO cappucino and a touch of Instant Breakfast. Or visa versa. Or both on cereal. Of course you have to combine this stuff to taste but I have yet to offend myself.

Creek Dancer
03-05-2008, 10:03
Hey there Eman! I have been looking for a way to get my morning caffeine fix on the trail without using my stove for hot coffee. This may be the answer!

Fiddleback
03-05-2008, 11:32
Yeah...I've wondered about the caffeine content of the Medaglia d'Oro but have not been able to find a listing. It seems like it would have a higher content than regular coffee but that just may be the stronger flavor of the expresso giving that impression.

But no matter...if I think I'm getting my morning jolt that's almost as good as actually getting it...(that applys to caffeine, not other things...:o)

FB

Sly
03-05-2008, 11:33
"Milkman" powder milk. "With the kiss of cream" it's great. REI has it...

http://www.rei.com/product/520003

Creek Dancer
03-05-2008, 11:46
I hear ya Fiddleback! I get nervous just at the mere thought of not having my morning caffeine. Chocolate covered coffee beans work too!