PDA

View Full Version : Cooking trout

Old Hillwalker
03-03-2008, 17:04
I just got through posting an offer to other SOBOs to share my catch with them this summer when I fish my way from Baxter to Andover. But then I started thinking that although my Bakepacker does fish pretty well, how are they supposed to cook fish without a frying pan and corn meal or flour?

I once coated a fish in mud and baked it in coals, but that's a little extreme for non-neanderthals I suppose.

Anyone have techniques for cooking Eastern Brookies or Rainbows?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 17:05
wrap in tin foil, throw on campfire

woodsy
03-03-2008, 17:12
Or run stick through gills and dangle over fire/coals.
in a pinch, simmer in a little water till it flakes easily for fish chowder.

fiddlehead
03-03-2008, 17:14
What LW said, although i also put a slice of onion on the bottom (that way you can burn it and the onion will take the burn, not the fish) and a little fresh garlic inside.

Interesting, here in Thailand, they don't cut the head off, and they don't gut the fish (we do buy the fish freshly caught) they either barbecue it or cook in oil. Half of my protein diet is now fish. Healthy stuff! Have fun.

take-a-knee
03-03-2008, 17:46
What LW said, although i also put a slice of onion on the bottom (that way you can burn it and the onion will take the burn, not the fish) and a little fresh garlic inside.

Interesting, here in Thailand, they don't cut the head off, and they don't gut the fish (we do buy the fish freshly caught) they either barbecue it or cook in oil. Half of my protein diet is now fish. Healthy stuff! Have fun.

You don't have to cut a fresh fish's head off, unless you need to shorten it for the pan. I reccomend gutting it though. The gills will spoil before anything else.

Critterman
03-03-2008, 18:21
wrap in tin foil, throw on campfire

delicious and easy, my mouth is watering.

mudhead
03-03-2008, 18:27
Or run stick through gills and dangle over fire/coals.

Green stick. Works great with little ones, crunchy fins. yeehaw!

scout005
03-03-2008, 20:50
Gut it. Rub some herbs, butter or whatever you want inside the fish . Wrap in tin foil. Bury in coals in the fire. 7 minutes per side. Open and enjoy.

snowhoe
03-03-2008, 22:07
I looovvveee to catch trout but I do not like the taste of them. But I have a friend who catches them guts them and then cooks them over a fire and then melts some colby jack cheese in a pot and then pull the meat off the trout and mixes it up with the cheese and then spreads it on crackers. He says its really good. I will have to trust him on that one. I ounce did a survival backpacking trip were we had to catch and find our own food and make our own shelter for 4 days. I just about starved to death because every time I tried to eat some trout that was caught I would dry heeave so bad.

mark.k.watson
03-03-2008, 22:14
Ditto to the foil and fire. Add lemon

cowboy nichols
03-03-2008, 22:21
L W 's method works well for froglegs also---d-lish

gaga
03-03-2008, 22:49
whisper lite int., M.S.R. fry pan , oil, and salt, something like this :

take-a-knee
03-03-2008, 23:12

You can't beat a SVEA 123 if you are going to actually cook instead of boil water. There is nothing like watching fresh trout or grayling curl in a hot skillet.

Erin
03-03-2008, 23:20
Oh, yum. Foil works great, but if you don't have that, a completely wet paper sack will do. gut your trout, stuff it with green onions, lemon and some butter. Wrap it in wet brown grocery sack and tuck in the edges. When sack is charring, trout is done. Burn sack remains in fire. When you pull the sack off, the skin comes off too and just leaves that wonderful meat. Trout can get overdone quickly, don't let it get mushy.

Whiskyjo
03-03-2008, 23:40
Sprinkle some dehydrated ramp powder, lemon powder and garlic salt and a dash of pepper on the inside and outside then get you a forked stick, sharpen the two ends, take the sharpened end and run it thru the mouths and stick it into the inside of the meat.A twelve inch trout over the fire takes about ten minutes or until nice and brown. Larger trouts need wrapped with wire or baked in foil.

Tennaseevol
03-04-2008, 01:06

Those look like some Hooch stocked bows? :-?

gaga
03-04-2008, 14:20
Those look like some Hooch stocked bows? :-?
aha, but they taste gooood:D

budforester
03-05-2008, 14:10
Sprinkle some dehydrated ramp powder, lemon powder and garlic salt and a dash of pepper on the inside and outside then get you a forked stick, sharpen the two ends, take the sharpened end and run it thru the mouths and stick it into the inside of the meat.A twelve inch trout over the fire takes about ten minutes or until nice and brown. Larger trouts need wrapped with wire or baked in foil.

That's a new one on me; ya learn somethin' every day if you're not careful.

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2008, 17:38
Coat with lemon pepper and foil n fire .....oh man good to go!

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2008, 17:40
L W 's method works well for froglegs also---d-lish

mmmm tastes like chicken hehe

Newb
03-07-2008, 14:08
Wild Green onions are a good stuffing for the fish..as well as wild garlic. A few mustard leaves can add flavor, too.

Time To Fly 97
03-07-2008, 14:28

Hi Fiddlehead,

I thought the guts were bad for you, no? Do you just eat around that after the fish is cooked? Inquiring minds want to know : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

general
03-07-2008, 15:22
for specks and other small southern trout: fresh ramps (chop the greens too), butter, olive oil, and maybe some kind of all spice if you might happen to have some at the time. wrap in foil, or fry in pan. ain't nothin' better than southern brook trout.