PDA

View Full Version : I have arrived at Woody Gap

Kirby
03-03-2008, 17:09
Hey everyone:
I pulled into Woody Gap earlier today, and got a ride to the hiker hostel near by, nasty weather coming, so I decided to come here. I shared a shuttle with The General, nice guy to have around, hike in 2004 as well.

My group is about half a day behind me, tomorrow I will go to Neel's Gap, where I will take a zero day and wait for them, they are great company, so I will gladly take some rest and wait, and Neel's seems like a good place to do so.

Life is good thus far, I hiked 13 miles today, and I feel pretty darn good. 11 miles tomorrow, then a zero, then my push to Franklin for my next resupply after Neel's, I am living a very tough life:rolleyes:.

I have met Eric Anderson, Lilred, Mountain man, Jan Liteshoe, Awol, and I saw Dances With Mice at a presentation I went to before I started the Approach.

Life is good,
Kirby

Phreak
03-03-2008, 17:17
I hope you enjoy your journey!

peanuts
03-03-2008, 17:18
good to hear...but slooooow down, its not a race!!!
you don't want to get hurt (i know you are young)

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 17:23
so tonite in a hostel, then tomorrow and wednesday in a hostel. way to go! toss that cash around :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2008, 17:24
Glad to hear you are sitting out tomorrow... we were planning a section hike from Unicoi to Dicks gap, but are putting it off because of the storm.

Mrs Baggins
03-03-2008, 17:27
You're doing great Kirby! We went back to the Hiker Hostel from Gooch Mt. shelter when we hit really icy weather - gave us a chance to warm up and get better supplied for cold weather. Better safe than sorry.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 17:29
Enjoy. Laugh at us as we second guess your decisions. Going to fast, going to slow, spending too much, going too cheap.....

It will all work out. After you leave Neel's Gap, I hope you will have the opportunity to hit Hiawassee and the Blueberry Patch.

Panzer1
03-03-2008, 17:31
Chance of rain 100%
Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms. High 63F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

FYI
Panzer

Sly
03-03-2008, 17:32
How can you be hiking with a group that's a half day behind?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 17:34
Chance of rain 100%
Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms. High 63F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

FYI
Panzer

he's going to walk in it. crazy. he;ll get to neel's and won't be any room at the hostel :)

Panzer1
03-03-2008, 17:37
Here's the forecast for woody gap:

tomorrow
Chance of rain 90%
Windy with strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms. High 59F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

tomorrow night:
chance of rain 20%
Mostly cloudy and windy. Low 32F. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Panzer

http://image.weather.com/web/blank.gif

dessertrat
03-03-2008, 17:41
Try to walk straighter and stand up taller! But Hike Your Own Hike!

Kirby
03-03-2008, 17:42
I have no choice but to walk in it, I need to get to Neel's tomorrow, I wish there was a way around Blood Mountain tomorrow though. The General and myself will hike to Neel's Gap.

13 miles was a little too much, but I wanted to get here to get out of the bad weather coming. 10 miles over two days is not that bad, I am feel great.

My journal is now updated, I had some spare time, so I updated it myself.

Kirby

take-a-knee
03-03-2008, 17:44
Here's the forecast for woody gap:

tomorrow
Chance of rain 90%
Windy with strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms. High 59F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

tomorrow night:
chance of rain 20%
Mostly cloudy and windy. Low 32F. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Panzer

http://image.weather.com/web/blank.gif

That is real infantry weather, it doesn't rain in the army, it rains on the army...Charlie would hike.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 17:44
I have no choice but to walk in it, I need to get to Neel's tomorrow, I wish there was a way around Blood Mountain tomorrow though. The General and myself will hike to Neel's Gap.

13 miles was a little too much, but I wanted to get here to get out of the bad weather coming. 10 miles over two days is not that bad, I am feel great.

Kirby

take the Freeman trail around Blood Mtn.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 17:48
Absolutely. Freeman Trail is the bad weather blue blaze, which still will have some slippery rocks and such to deal with. At least you won't be exposed to lightning as much. You will come out a few hundred yards west of Neel's Gap.

Lilred
03-03-2008, 18:02

Yup, I took the freeman trail during a freezing rain. It's a lot of rock hopping, but a lot of fun doing it. Enjoy yourself!

Pedaling Fool
03-03-2008, 18:18

Kirby
Blood mountain is a very easy climb for NOBOs, but the descent is steep and rocky, so be very careful in those conditions.

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:30
Kirby,
God to hear your hike has started. Enjoy every step dude. See you somewhere in the northeast. Peace.Looking forward to your stories.
Warrgy.:sun:sun

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:32
Ans by God I mean good. I guess there's worse typos.:rolleyes:

whitefoot_hp
03-03-2008, 18:44
neels to franklin without resupply at hiawassee?

cannonball
03-03-2008, 18:50
Kirby is the first thru hiker to have 1,543 cyber parents busting his chops on what to do and what not to do but all the while be sure to HYOH:rolleyes:.

How are you able to get 1/2 day ahead of your "group".

go get em pup.

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:52
How are you able to get 1/2 day ahead of your "group".

Well placed Ex-lax.:p

Hooch
03-03-2008, 18:54
go get em pup.Trail name? :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:56
Trail name? :rolleyes:

Hey 'Pup' - have a great hike.:sun:sun:D

cannonball
03-03-2008, 18:57
seems like a good one huh?

Hooch
03-03-2008, 19:11
go get em pup.

Hey 'Pup' - have a great hike.:sun:sun:D

seems like a good one huh?Yup, does anyone second the motion? All in favor? :D

Blissful
03-03-2008, 19:37
Kirby is the first thru hiker to have 1,543 cyber parents busting his chops on what to do and what not to do but all the while be sure to HYOH:rolleyes:.

I don't blame peope for offering advice, hike your own hike sure, but he's pretty young and it's good to give advice from people who do care and who have been out there. If it was some old fossil (like me) let em be.

So here's my advice from a hiking mom who had her 16 yr old with her last year - if there's bad weather tomorrow, stay put and climb Blood mtn on a good day. You're in a safe place right now,. Don't go out in a t-storm, it's not worth it. Then one night at Neels and go on. Don't worry about your friends, you'll see them later on. Friends (who come and go on the trail) are not worth the chance of a tearing up an ankle or a knee slipping on a rock just to make a renedezvous that isn't all that necessary. You don't want to fool with Blood Mtn.

oldfivetango
03-03-2008, 19:51
Blissful gives good advice-a bolt of lightening is 50,000
degrees Farenheit.
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 20:00
I don't blame peope for offering advice, hike your own hike sure, but he's pretty young and it's good to give advice from people who do care and who have been out there. If it was some old fossil (like me) let em be.

So here's my advice from a hiking mom who had her 16 yr old with her last year - if there's bad weather tomorrow, stay put and climb Blood mtn on a good day. You're in a safe place right now,. Don't go out in a t-storm, it's not worth it. Then one night at Neels and go on. Don't worry about your friends, you'll see them later on. Friends (who come and go on the trail) are not worth the chance of a tearing up an ankle or a knee slipping on a rock just to make a renedezvous that isn't all that necessary. You don't want to fool with Blood Mtn.

kinda what i'm thinkin' but he says he HAS to be at neel gap tomorrow. time to toss the itinerary :)

Blissful
03-03-2008, 20:05
kinda what i'm thinkin' but he says he HAS to be at neel gap tomorrow. time to toss the itinerary :)

You got that right. I tossed mine by Neels Gap. Just hope he doesn't learn the hard way. Ugh, I hate being a parent at times like this when you can't do anything! :( I saw the storm on radar, it looks nasty. Nothing is so important that one has to be anywhere and risk life and limb. We had to make decisions like that last year. And it saved our uh...hindquarters and, I believe, our hike. Hope this General guy makes him stay put.

Someone call the Hiker Hostel!! (just kidding)

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 20:09
I just looked at a detailed weather forecast for Suches for tomorrow morning, noontime and afternoon. It looks, as of 7 pm today, that there is a high likelyhood of the severe storms between 4 am and 2 pm. If you wait until lunchtime or shortly after you will walk in rain but may be able to start the weather is expected to improve further into the day.

You will be reaching the top of Blood later in the afternoon after the most severe stuff as passed.

FatMan
03-03-2008, 20:15
I know the weather in the area well. And based upon what is on the way your zero day should be tomorrow. Best of luck to you.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 20:17
I know the weather in the area well. And based upon what is on the way your zero day should be tomorrow. Best of luck to you.

can't tell newbies nothin'. they all want advice but never take it. :D

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 20:30
can't tell newbies nothin'. they all want advice but never take it. :D

I completely agree living in the area myself that the smart thing to do is stay put! He is safe and dry and should stay that way!

If he insists on getting out there, he better head out later in the day.

I have been on Blood in a storm and it can be a real hair raising experience.

mudhead
03-03-2008, 20:39
NOAA calls for some heavy wind. Rotation. Sounds kind of vile around daybreak.

I figure he will put an eyeball on it, and be prudent.

Skidsteer
03-03-2008, 20:46
Hell Kirby, just have Josh carry you to Neel's gap tomorrow if you have to be there for some reason.

Hike SOBO to Woody the next day and have him carry you back to Neel's to start North again.

Probably cheaper to take a zero tomorrow though.

max patch
03-03-2008, 20:50
Give the kid a break; I think he has enough common sense to get thru a rainstorm without 50 people telling him what to do.

Skidsteer
03-03-2008, 20:52
Give the kid a break; I think he has enough common sense to get thru a rainstorm without 50 people telling him what to do.

Give me a break.

I've got a 17 year old son. :p

Tin Man
03-03-2008, 20:53
Kirby, glad to hear you are enjoying your hike. Be safe and maybe I'll see you as you enter CT.

rafe
03-03-2008, 20:56
Zeros already? :-?

clured
03-03-2008, 21:01

Maybe the point is that the AT is useful for a young person because (usually at least) there isn't anyone to hold his/her hand. Kirby has ensured that he will make very few big mistakes this summer, but he may have lost the most valuable part of a thru-hike in the process. Also, WB has indoctrinated him with all kinds of baby-boomer advice; "take it slow, dear!"

No dude. Go smash up your knees in the first couple days. Attack the thing. Give it a black eye. Run as fast as you can from your "group."

CrumbSnatcher
03-03-2008, 21:07

Kirby
kirby,very easy climb up blood mt. if its raining duck into blood mt. shelter to regroup and its all down hill to neels gap,very little exposure up top. i hope it wont rain on ya.

CrumbSnatcher
03-03-2008, 21:09
neels to franklin without resupply at hiawassee?
i like the grocery store in helen too,good choice if you wont be lodging in helen/hiawassee..

SawnieRobertson
03-03-2008, 21:14
Kirby, I was a-thinkin' about you today and hoping you would NOT be caught in what we are told tomorrow will bring. Freeman Trail is a lovely alternative, and it does look as though it may be a very legitimate blue blaze. It does have numerous streams to cross though, which might get a bit strong if the rain has been coming down hard for a period of time. Also, it comes out on the trail to Blood Mountain, so you will not be excused from that rocky descent entirely. Gosh, I'd sure hang at the hostel with Josh and Leigh until the deluge is done. "Having to" are bad words on the trail. It's better to flow with it, and Lone Wolf made a good point. Mountain Crossings may be full because of the weather blast. Also, protect your experience for the next 12 or so miles. Levelland Mountain and Cow Rock have incredible, open views. I'd hate to lose that, even though I'm not a "view" person. Having all these momentous decisions is part of the process on the trail. I know you'll make the right one for yourself, the one that fits.--Kinnickinic

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2008, 21:15
I just looked at a detailed weather forecast for Suches for tomorrow morning, noontime and afternoon. It looks, as of 7 pm today, that there is a high likelihood of the severe storms between 4 am and 2 pm. If you wait until lunchtime or shortly after you will walk in rain but may be able to start the weather is expected to improve further into the day.

You will be reaching the top of Blood later in the afternoon after the most severe stuff as passed.Excellent advice here if you plan to use the regular AT tomorrow.

I think this has brought out the parents in us all :D:eek::mad::(:banana... we love you, Kirby... and it shows. Be careful out there. I want to see you on Katahdin in one piece and unfried.

Frosty
03-03-2008, 21:36

Give me a break.

I've got a 17 year old son. :pHow does your son like being told what to do? :D

Tin Man
03-03-2008, 21:40
If people keep referring to Kirby like a son, he will stop listening to advice meant for a brother.

Skidsteer
03-03-2008, 21:50
How does your son like being told what to do? :D

I can't remember. For the last couple years I'm pretty sure he could whup me. (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=156BD5DC22BD11DCBB41000423CF0184&type=movie)

I just hope no one tells him....

:D

FatMan
03-03-2008, 21:51
I am not telling anyone what to do. I am simply informing that this will be a very serious storm. Advising anyone to hike in these conditions goes against all doctrines of safe hiking. The stretch of trail between Woody Gap and Bird Gap leaves the hiker with very little protection against storms from the west. I would be more concerned with Big Cedar than Blood. Expect multiple lightening hits and very high winds.

I will be at Grassy Gap (a couple of miles from Woody Gap) tomorrow and I, for one, will not be doing any hiking. However, if anyone should decide to hike the trail, please stay safe. Kirby, if you decide to hike please keep in mind that there are several places you can exit if it becomes necessary. Miller Gap, Jarrard Gap, Henry Gap all can be exited to the west...to name a few.

http://storagespace.homestead.com/files/storm.JPG

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2008, 21:54
I am not telling anyone what to do. I am simply informing that this will be a very serious storm. Advising anyone to hike in these conditions goes against all doctrines of safe hiking. The stretch of trail between Woody Gap and Bird Gap leaves the hiker with very little protection against storms from the west. I would be more concerned with Big Cedar than Blood. Expect multiple lightening hits and very high winds.

I will be at Grassy Gap (a couple of miles from Woody Gap) tomorrow and I, for one, will not be doing any hiking. However, if anyone should decide to hike the trail, please stay safe. Kirby, if you decide to hike please keep in mind that there are several places you can exit if it becomes necessary. Miller Gap, Jarrard Gap, Henry Gap all can be exited to the west...to name a few.::: Dino seen kissing FatMan on the toes :::

Ron Haven
03-03-2008, 22:20
take the Freeman trail around Blood Mtn.It's not a bad deal going up Blood but that 1st 1/2 mile coming down the north side is aggravating when the sun is shining.

EAnderson
03-03-2008, 22:30
Kirby, It was good to meet you on the approach Trail, and I hope you have a great hike.
Eric

Nightwalker
03-03-2008, 22:57

The view is nice from there as well.

I've went both ways a number of times. I hope, however, to never come down the North side at night again. Seems like a million false trails and animal trails up there. The coyotes are cool, though!

Dances with Mice
03-03-2008, 23:00
Right now the best advice for Kirby, as I'm sure he already knows, is coming from Josh and Leigh. Everyone relax. He's in good hands.

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 05:51
Ya know, if we rename this the "Kirby Update" we got a decent shot at knocking The Thread of it's little pedestal. :-?

I think we got us a contender, boys & girls!

Dances with Mice
03-04-2008, 07:10
Ya know, if we rename this the "Kirby Update" we got a decent shot at knocking The Thread of it's little pedestal. For that to happen, I'm afraid we're going to have to break Kirby's legs to make him slow down. Sorry, kid, but it's for the greater good.

And whose pedestal are you calling little?

brotheral
03-04-2008, 07:40
Kirby: Be Safe and have a great journey. I'll be keeping you in my prayers and watching your progress.......
Happy Trails !!!!!!!!!! BrotherAL

mudhead
03-04-2008, 07:42
Give me a break.

I've got a 17 year old son. :p

I just had a flashback to 17. Weee! Some wicked smart, I was.

Fannypack
03-04-2008, 07:49
As of 6:45am, it seems that the heaviest of the storm is NOW forecast for 4pm this afternoon..
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=30572&hourly=1&yday=63&weekday=Tuesday

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 07:52
As of 6:45am, it seems that the heaviest of the storm is NOW forecast for 4pm this afternoon..
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=30572&hourly=1&yday=63&weekday=Tuesday

i have never left a warm dry hostel/motel in the rain just to get miles in.

Fannypack
03-04-2008, 08:24
i have never left a warm dry hostel/motel in the rain just to get miles in.
so u r suggestin' that the yungin' (actually everyone) stay put and take a zero on day 3 of his hike?

I have to agree w/ this logic, of course, I always consider myself to be on vacation (i.e., very little schedule) when i am on a long hike...

ENJOY... Another day in paradise....

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 08:27
so u r suggestin' that the yungin' (actually everyone) stay put and take a zero on day 3 of his hike?

uhhh yeah. only a fool would hike in it

brotheral
03-04-2008, 08:43
It doesn't matter whether it's day 3 or day 133 !!!!

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 08:57
I'll keep an eye on those PA rocks for you. Wouldn't want them to go anywhere and have you miss out.

Kirby
03-04-2008, 09:07
I am still tracking this weather, I was hoping to ride it out here, with the hope of the worst being gone by about 3PM, when I would walk to Woods Hole. I might just get a shuttle to Neel's Gap, but it could be full by the time I make a decision. I am not going to start anytime soon, the worst is yet to come. I might get a hotel room tonight (hostel full for tonight), and walk to Neel's tomorrow, the weather might clear by then. I am taking the wait and see approach right now. If the weather does not clear by 3PM, I will zero today, and walk to Neel's tomorrow.

I have added my journal entry for yesterday.

Kirby

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 09:10
And whose pedestal are you calling little?Well, if you read carefully I didn't call any one person's pedestal little, but I did say that The Thread had a little pedestal.

Sooo, the combo of the phrase "little pedestal" and the word "thread" just enough to spark a little insecurity, hmmm?

:banana:banana:banana:banana

Ain't this off to a grand start? We're just about to have our first pissing contest and we ain't even off the fourth page yet! I tell ya, this one could go the distance if everyone pitches in!

Sly
03-04-2008, 09:12
Bumping to knock *the thread* off the charts.

cannonball
03-04-2008, 09:19

Blissful, I share your sentiments. As a parent your "wired" to dote on kids.
I think white blaze has adopted the pup and all are just trying to mother hen him- in a good way of course.

mudhead
03-04-2008, 09:30
uhhh yeah. only a fool would hike in it

C'mon. Are you so far gone that you have forgotten what fun you had when you didn't have to shave daily?

Oh, nevermind.

rcli4
03-04-2008, 09:31
Kirby
I think you are smart enough to realize, hike your own hike really mean do it the way the person giving the advice would do it. This is the first of many storms you will face. Just dal with it. You know what your capable of and what your limitations are. Have fun and I'll see ya somewhere in Vermont/NH.

Clyde

PS Can't call him Pup, he got off the porch. That dog can hunt!!!!!!!

Mrs Baggins
03-04-2008, 09:32
I find myself "mothering" Kirby as well! I was corresponding with him in the Fall of 2006 (emailing) because he wanted our maps when we finished our hike. We ended up not finishing and decided we needed to keep our maps. I felt really really bad about it but he was understanding. I did not know at the time just how young he was and nearly fell over when I saw his photo on his trail journal this past weekend! Now I'm going to worry about him every single day! :eek: My own son is 21. When I saw that he intended to do Blood Mt in the storm I was telling my husband NO! He can't do it! It's too dangerous! So I'm very glad to see he's changed his mind on that. :D Go Kirby Go! But please be careful! Sorry, can't help myself. It's a mom thing. And I think right now you have a whole lot of "moms" out there!

rcli4
03-04-2008, 09:32
;)Deal with it

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 09:33
C'mon. Are you so far gone that you have forgotten what fun you had when you didn't have to shave daily?

Oh, nevermind.

i've shaved once in 20 years. what's shavin' got to do with deliberately leaving a warm, dry building to hike in a cold rain?

mudhead
03-04-2008, 09:36
Did you never do anything, that in hindsight was pretty foolish, when you were a teenager. I think I might have.

Sly
03-04-2008, 09:37
Here's a little fatherly advice.... get your ass out of bed, put your rain gear on, and go hike.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 09:38
Here's a little fatherly advice.... get your ass out of bed, put your rain gear on, and go hike.

...otherwise you're gonna run out of money before you make it to erwin :)

Dances with Mice
03-04-2008, 09:42
Bumping to knock *the thread* off the charts.Do not taunt The Thread.

Kirby - If you need a place and Neels is full whenever you get there call Goose Creek Cabins (http://www.goosecreekcabins.com/).

cannonball
03-04-2008, 09:48
Pup, make sure you have clean underware on in case you get hurt and have to go to the hospital.

rafe
03-04-2008, 09:50
Pup, make sure you have clean underware on in case you get hurt and have to go to the hospital.

And don't talk with your mouth full. And stop tracking mud across my nice clean floor...

mudhead
03-04-2008, 09:53
Floss. Brush.

Bearpaw
03-04-2008, 09:56
And close that door because we're not gonna air condition the whole neighborhood!!

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 10:34
Kirby, are you in the refrigerator again? You'll ruin your dinner!

Kirby
03-04-2008, 10:39
I am hoping to hit trail around 3PM, I am going to move quick to Woods Hole shelter, I imagine there won't be any decent views. I will take some rain pictures, I hope to be at the shelter by 7PM. I don't want to spend money on a hotel, I really, really, hope to hike today, having a blast thus far.

By the way, for the first 20 miles there are plenty of switchbacks, way more than people make it seem, but I still have 50 miles in this state, so we shall see.

My legs are feeling real good right now, starting to get used to the lifestyle.

Fatman of WB offered me a bail out option if I hit trail and the weather becomes really cruddy again.

Kirby

SawnieRobertson
03-04-2008, 10:49
Hey, Kirby. There's one thing that has become clear: You have won our hearts.--Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 10:51
I am hoping to hit trail around 3PM, I am going to move quick to Woods Hole shelter, I imagine there won't be any decent views. I will take some rain pictures, I hope to be at the shelter by 7PM. I don't want to spend money on a hotel, I really, really, hope to hike today, having a blast thus far.

By the way, for the first 20 miles there are plenty of switchbacks, way more than people make it seem, but I still have 50 miles in this state, so we shall see.

Fatman of WB offered me a bail out option if I hit trail and the weather becomes really cruddy again.

Kirby

take the day off and get an early start tomorrow. what's the rush? the 11 to neel gap is pretty easy

HikerRanky
03-04-2008, 11:02
First of all, congratulations on the hike so far Kirby.... I hope to meet you out on the trail someday.

Keep a very close eye on this weather system today.... Yesterday here in TN it was quite windy and lots of lightning and rain and some hail around 1/2 inch in diameter... Currently down in GA, there is a tornado watch out from Chattanooga south to Dothan... All of the storm cells are tracking to the NE at between 42 and 63 mph.... No hail in this system at this time.

Randy

Dances with Mice
03-04-2008, 11:08
....By the way, for the first 20 miles there are plenty of switchbacks, way more than people make it seem, but I still have 50 miles in this state, so we shall see....OK, Kirby, we need to talk. Did you miss the briefing by the Caretaker at Springer? He should have covered some important stuff with you. Whatever the reason, you are not following the program.

NEVER report that there are switchbacks in Georgia! Never Ever! They're supposed to be secret! The Trail always goes straight up and straight down every mountain in the state. Got it?

And your journal entries need work, too. You are not "....going up and over some random bumps in northern Georgia, and descending into some interesting gaps. ..." Those 'random bumps' are supposed to be 'lung-busting leg killers' and the gaps are deeper than Death Valley. Every one of them! You're going to make all the other journalists look like either wimps or liars and we don't want that to happen now, do we?

Let's try to improve your writing skills. Coming up soon is Granny Top Mountain which should be "Killer Top Mountain", ok? And Blood is higher and more treacherous than Everest. You had to crawl down the entire north side into Neels, barely making it there alive.

You can mention that the Trail is well-maintained. That's still allowed.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2008, 11:11
OK, Kirby, we need to talk. Did you miss the briefing by the Caretaker at Springer? He should have covered some important stuff with you. Whatever the reason, you are not following the program.

NEVER report that there are switchbacks in Georgia! Never Ever! They're supposed to be secret! The Trail always goes straight up and straight down every mountain in the state. Got it?

And your journal entries need work, too. You are not "....going up and over some random bumps in northern Georgia, and descending into some interesting gaps. ..." Those 'random bumps' are supposed to be 'lung-busting leg killers' and the gaps are deeper than Death Valley. Every one of them! You're going to make all the other journalists look like either wimps or liars and we don't want that to happen now, do we?

Let's try to improve your writing skills. Coming up soon is Granny Top Mountain which should be "Killer Top Mountain", ok? And Blood is higher and more treacherous than Everest. You had to crawl down the entire north side into Neels, barely making it there alive.

You can mention that the Trail is well-maintained. That's still allowed.http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

BR360
03-04-2008, 11:14
...and all the women are gorgeous, and everyone is SO friendly (all thru the south)!

Enjoy your hike!

Shiloh
03-04-2008, 11:17
FYI - I posted a couple of images of Kirby and his hiking team in the WB Photo section. The group image is (L to R) Porboy, Bearpaw88, Windjammer, & Kirby.

Best Wishes to them and ALL of the Class of 2008.

Mrs Baggins
03-04-2008, 11:27
OK, Kirby, we need to talk. Did you miss the briefing by the Caretaker at Springer? He should have covered some important stuff with you. Whatever the reason, you are not following the program.

You can mention that the Trail is well-maintained. That's still allowed.

That's EXACTLY how I remember that whole area! And keep in mind that the majority of thru-hikers are liars. Some of their finest examples that I heard:

1. You're almost at the top.
2. Don't worry, it gets easier after this.
3. Really, I hike pretty slow.
4. The shelter is really close now.

HikerRanky
03-04-2008, 11:45
Tornado watches from Chattanooga south to Macon GA have been cancelled.... Storms are still moving to the NE at around 42 to 60 MPH.... System appears to be breaking up on the mountains NE of Dahlonega and around Suches....

Blissful
03-04-2008, 12:23

Kirby

Sounds good. Go for it. :)

orangebug
03-04-2008, 12:34
There are plenty of good campsites before Woods Hole. Make sure you water up before you go in there, though, if you decide on Woods Hole. Woody to Neel's is a pretty easy and straight forward walk.

Sly
03-04-2008, 12:37
So much for the big storm everyone predicted. :rolleyes: I hate to listen to forecasts, altering my plans, only to have them turned wrong. Mountains have their own weather.

mudhead
03-04-2008, 12:47
...and all the women are gorgeous, and everyone is SO friendly (all thru the south)!

Enjoy your hike!

They are!

I hope sheepdog doesn't read about switchbacks.

Kirby
03-04-2008, 13:26
Hitting trail at 3PM still, trying to avoid a night in a hotel.

Fatman dropped by the hostel earlier, nice man, passed along some advice as well.

I have enjoyed my time in Georgia, and I am finding that my journal entries are right around the length I was hoping they would be.

Byou(I believe), of New Orleans is also here tonight, he will hit the trail tomorrow at Woody Gap, he is section hiking to Damascus for Trail Days.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 13:31
Byou(I believe), of New Orleans is also here tonight, he will hit the trail tomorrow at Woody Gap, he is section hiking to Damascus for Trail Days.

5.8 miles per day average. he should make it in time

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 15:17
Do not taunt The Thread.

Kirby - If you need a place and Neels is full whenever you get there call Goose Creek Cabins (http://www.goosecreekcabins.com/).

There wouldn't happen to be another thread to add on to The Thread would there? I've been reading it lately and I wish it wasn't locked because I have a little Minnesota Smith story too....

Dances with Mice
03-04-2008, 15:42
There wouldn't happen to be another thread to add on to The Thread would there? I've been reading it lately and I wish it wasn't locked because I have a little Minnesota Smith story too....Let's not hijack this one. The locking of The Thread was investigated by the United Nations Commission on Human Rights which concluded that it was a terrible, terrible injustice that should have been locked much sooner.

There is a pretender thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18685&highlight=math)that may accept such material.

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 15:46
First insecurity, now jealousy. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

paradoxb3
03-04-2008, 18:01
awesome kirby. i bailed out of my weekender hike @ woody gap sunday around 6pm. just heard from wrongway a few hours ago. he was at neels gap today getting out of the bad weather. looks like better weather coming tomorrow tho!

FatMan
03-04-2008, 19:31
Rain stopped around 2:30pm. Fog lifted by 4:00pm. Kirby is a smart kid and is very mature for his age. His decision to head out for Woods Hole Shelter around 3:00 was well reasoned. Assuming he left Woody Gap around 3:00, I suspect he is enjoying his dinner at Woods Hole Shelter while I write. He might get some snow tonight, but tomorrow and Thurs will be great hiking days.

Have a great hike Kirby. Our short time together at the Hostel was a pleasure.

Bearpaw
03-04-2008, 20:05
FYI - I posted a couple of images of Kirby and his hiking team in the WB Photo section. The group image is (L to R) Porboy, Bearpaw, Windjammer, & Kirby.

Best Wishes to them and ALL of the Class of 2008.

Just to reduce confusion maybe a touch, the young lady hiking with Windjammer is Bear Paw, two separate words. It's about the only hope she has of not getting confused here and on TrailJournals with some one as homely as I am.

mweinstone
03-04-2008, 20:05
the one....

Jan LiteShoe
03-04-2008, 21:38
Well, Kirby, have they made your mind up yet?
;-)

It was fun to meet you at Amicalola. What fine, clear weather you had to start.

25-to-1 he goes over Blood...
;-)