PDA

View Full Version : prevention is better than....

wayno
03-03-2008, 20:17
G'day,

I had a bit of a browse around, and couldn't find a thread on the following (that doesn't mean there isn't one though), so thought I would start a new one.

There is a lot of talk about knee braces, poles, etc to help with sore knees when out and about on the trail.

However my question is preventing problems before they occur. My knees are pretty much fine at the moment, but I am approaching the big 40, so it might be time for a bit of preventative maintenance.

Is there any advantage in using Cho Pat type knee braces if you don't already have a knee problem? Do they stop problems arising? Or at least help in delaying them?

I imagine glucosamine would be a good preventative measure. Any other supplements?

And is there much to be gained by doing stretches/yoga? Does anyone have experience with "Yoga for Hikers" book and/or DVD?

I'm hoping to be able to keep hiking for a while longer yet, so am thinking I might have to start taking more care of my carcass.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Wayno

Appalachian Tater
03-03-2008, 20:28
Joints are supported by the surrounding muscles. The best thing you can do for your knees is to strengthen your quadriceps, or thigh muscles. Here's a good reference, the exercise part is at the bottom of the page: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/a/TheKnee.htm

WalkingStick75
03-03-2008, 20:30
G,day Wayno,
Australia is on my list of places to visit..... someday.

I had some of the same concerns as I was approaching 40 and did have some problems with my knees on a couple hikes but I have noticed many hikers much older than I still hiking. If they can do it, so can I. :)

Anyways, I live in basically flatland and try to keep myself in shape for when I head to the AT for a section but even staying in shape I have had problems with my knees. I have found wearing a knee support for the first few days helps hold things together until the mussel is strong enough to handle the ups and downs. I also use poles which do help absorbing some of the downhill pressure to the knees.

Stay in shape whatever way works for you and enjoy your hikes.

mudhead
03-03-2008, 20:31
Hey!

Thanks for asking those questions. I would also like to extend the use of the carcass.

Yoga/stretching/gutwork has helped me. Glucosamine has not hurt. I am also interested in other supplements, as it might help.

bloodmountainman
03-03-2008, 20:32
I found out I had a knee problem during a week long section hike. A friend met with me on the third day and had a set of elastic knee braces he carries just in case. I can say that they were a big help in reducing the pain.
It is most painful on long, steep, downhill trail sections. Hiking poles are a must if you have knee promblems. You can reduce a lot of downhill pounding by extending the poles out in front and lightly stepping down.
a combination of walking technique, knee braces, poles, and streching exercises should go along way in preventing injury.

mudhead
03-03-2008, 20:48
Joints are supported by the surrounding muscles. The best thing you can do for your knees is to strengthen your quadriceps, or thigh muscles. Here's a good reference, the exercise part is at the bottom of the page: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/a/TheKnee.htm

This is a good site. You have to root around. I have done the "wall slide" execise, and would suggest using an exercise ball. (Tough on paint jobs and/or clothes.)

wayno
03-03-2008, 21:03
You guys are on the ball. Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies.

I'll give those "wall slides" a go, and at the risk of turning into a hippy I'll look into doing some yoga as well.

We've got a few reasonable hills down here in Oz. Our highest "mountain" has a road all the way to the top, so that doesn't count, but the Blue Mountains in the Sydney area have plenty of up and down, so working knees, hips, etc are definitely a help.

I got my girly a hiking pole for her birthday, as on the last hike she ended up using a stick. Guess I had better get one for myself as well.

Thanks again guys.

If I can return the favour with any info about hiking down here in Oz, just let me know. I may be able to help, but then again, Australia is a big country....

gumball
03-03-2008, 22:01
I use cho-pats on the trail--I use them in certain running conditions and I find they help me when I am going to experience lots of ups and downs. Since beginning to use them in backpacking, I have found that I've gone from near-debilitating injury to no pain, period.

I believe this is circumstantial to an individual's body type. I am a "small" framed woman. I keep my pack as light as I can, but stringing up an extra 30 lbs on my back takes it toll. This seems to stabilize my knees in a preventative fashion and proves itself over and over for me. You might be completely different--but I bought my "chopats" at walmart for about $8 a piece and have had no problems since. Other than looking a little funny, it only pained me $16.

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-04-2008, 05:44
G'day Wayno,

Hiking poles are probably the second best thing you can do to prevent knee problems (after getting in shape & strengthening your leg muscles).
You need to have 2 poles to get maximum advantage. They take some getting used to (I hated mine at first) but once you get in the groove they make walking so much easier

I find that the poles take a lot of stress off your knees, particularly on the downhills where most knee problems seem to originate. On my thru-hike in 2006 I had a bad knee after the first week and the poles were the only thing that kept me going for the next 10 days. The knee gradually improved and I had no more problems the rest of the trail.

Cheers,

Kaptain

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 06:02
Can't speak to the cho-pats, but I have some knee problems, bad enough that I wound up going to an orthopaedic surgeon for help. The surgeon didn't want to perform surgery because my problems aren't that severe, but he did put me in physical therapy for a while.

Frankly, I'm more than OK with that.

To get a little closer to the subject at hand the things that have worked the best for me are:

Using a walking stick.
Lightening the load
Lighter footwear
Exercises to strengthen my quads

That list is in no particular order.

warraghiyagey
03-04-2008, 12:02
Stretch your own stretch. Get in tune with your body. Stretch numerous times per day. Take your time doing it.
Use poles. Use lighter weight foot wear. And take glucosamine. Knees should be just fine. :)

take-a-knee
03-04-2008, 12:24
DO NOT use knee braces on an uninjured knee, that will allow the muscles that stabilize the joint to weaken, setting you up for injury. If you already have a problem, fine, wear the brace, but your goal should be to eliminate its' use.

If you have bad knees, a Precor 546 Elliptical trainer will do wonders for them, and probably prevent knee injury if you don't have a problem. Train on the elliptical trainer at the gym and if you can find a Stairmaster Stepmill PT7000, that will toughen your quadriceps like nothing else. It can be hard on the knees, so don't do it every day. Alternate between the Precor elliptical and the stepmill.

Also, when training on these machines, do not hold on to the handrails, balance yourself on the machine as you step. This will improve your balance markedly and strengthen the postural/stabilizer muscles in your lower leg/knee.

wayno
03-04-2008, 17:39
and any thoughts on that "yoga for hikers" book/dvd? Or any other yoga?

Not just for knees, but for looking after the whole body?

take-a-knee
03-04-2008, 19:24
and any thoughts on that "yoga for hikers" book/dvd? Or any other yoga?

Not just for knees, but for looking after the whole body?

A rock climbing friend told me that yoga took his climbing to new heights (literally). I don't know much about it but a lot of it looks like stuff that cutting edge trainers like Mark Verstegen are doing, and I DO reccomend his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performance-Revolutionary-Workout-Transform/dp/1594861684

Blissful
03-04-2008, 19:55
On my hike last year, I only used my knee brace when I had to, then for a short amount of time. I forced my knees to work. Did take glucosmine though, heavy doses. And did stretching.

Slosteppin
03-04-2008, 21:23
I think the best way to keep the whole body in shape for hiking is to do a lot of walking. The rougher the ground you walk on the better.

When I was in my 40's I thought I should hike another 60 years. Now that I'm 70 maybe I've only got 30 or 40 more to hike. Just keep on hiking!

Slosteppin

shelterbuilder
03-04-2008, 22:39
G'day, Wayno -

I've heard that glucosamine doesn't work for everyone - but I have bad knees, and I'm thankful that, for me, it DOES work. For me, it takes about 10 days before I notice a change.

Work on building strength in the muscles that hold the knee in place - if you get bored easily on steppers and treadmills like I do, then try bicycle riding: the scenery is never the same twice, and it's relatively low-impact.

Can't comment on the yoga - sorry. But a lighter pack weight will benefit your knees, and might help foster a "zen-like" state of mind! :D