PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started

randy moore
01-14-2004, 21:55
Have recently had both of my knees replaced, living in Fl am up to packpacking 7 to 8 miles a day with about 40 lbs. Want to try walking the AT in small sections. Hope to start around ist of Sept and spend about 9 to 10 days on trail with the idea of making it to N. C. What do you guys think? Also I am 61 and in pretty good shape thanks for any answers..

Rain Man
01-15-2004, 00:33
Have recently had both of my knees replaced, living in Fl am up to packpacking 7 to 8 miles a day with about 40 lbs. Want to try walking the AT in small sections. Hope to start around ist of Sept and spend about 9 to 10 days on trail with the idea of making it to N. C. What do you guys think? Also I am 61 and in pretty good shape thanks for any answers..

Randy,

I'd say you're good to go. I'm 52 and in fair shape, not great. I did the GA section of the AT in two long weekends. 3.5 days in August from Springer to Neels Gap, then 4 days in November from Neels Gap to Deep Gap, NC (just over the line a couple of miles or so), plus hiked out about 4 miles on the Kimsey Creek Trail, though if I had it to do over again, I've have a vehicle at Deep Gap instead of Standing Indian Campground. :)

Anyway, it's about 75-80 miles. I did 8, 8, 12, 6, then 10, 15, 15, and 15 mile days. The second weekend was more difficult (due to length and mountains) than the first, which was darn easy. Oh, my pack was about 28 pounds total. I wrote a trip report of the first weekend, which is on WhiteBlaze.

Anyway, assuming your knees are good to go, I'd say you'll have a really nice time of it.

Rain Man

gravityman
01-15-2004, 11:52

I would try lightening the pack. With such serious knee issues, I would go ultralight. There's a ton of info out there on how to do this.

Good luck!

Gravity man

Jaybird
01-15-2004, 12:34
Randy:

sounds like you're anxious & just about ready to put some mileage on those "NEW" knees of yours! I'm 50 years old...decent shape...a few lbs overweight (currently)...but 6 to 8 miles a day on the GA section of the A.T. is a good start. Build up to the big mileage...if that is your goal.

Like Rain Man said above....you can get the GA section done easy in 2 weeks. My hike pardner: TeePee & i did this section & jumped off @ Deep Gap & took the side trail (Kimsey Creek Trail) to Standing Indian Campground where we were picked up by our wives (& taken to an "ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET" in Dillard GA).

but, i too would lighten that load by @ least 10-15lbs. ;)

hope to see you out on the trail in 2004!

smokymtnsteve
01-15-2004, 13:44
yea the DILLARD HOUSE ayce is awesome....and a classic been there along time..

gravityman
01-15-2004, 15:45
Oh, now that is a place to eat! Too bad it isn't closer to the trail. It's quite a ways, as I remember. We use to go there when we would paddle the Chattoga River (Same one Deliverance was filmed on).

What a great section of America...

I miss those trips there...

Gravity Man

smokymtnsteve
01-15-2004, 16:02
my son went to Talullah Falls school...we would eat there regularly..also I spend some time in HIGHLANDS,NC..