PDA

View Full Version : Gear - tell me about yours

justletgo
03-04-2008, 08:29
I am in the market for a new pack and bag, and I know what I want in each fairly well, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on important qualities they look for in their gear.

Feel free to tell me all about every single piece of gear you have and why you love it or hate it...

Blissful
03-04-2008, 12:19
Welcome to White Blaze.

Sleeping bags - must be warm and true to rating :) Also a silk liner to go along with it.
I like Marmot and have three marmot bags. Likely will go to down though so I can pack the bag in a smaller backpack ( curretly own the Gregory Jade). For summer weight, the Marmot pounder is excellent and compressible (and on sale from what I have seen in the past)

Erin
03-04-2008, 23:09
I started with all hand me down stuff from my brother from the 70's. Some of it is great stuff I still use. I have gradually upgraded other items, but am still making mistakes. I wish I had known about this site before I got my interior frame pack and sleeping bag. Like them both, but now prefer lighter pack and down bag, but everyone is different.
Whatever your size, short or tall, big or small, weight requirements, preferences, dislikes, woolens, synthetics, hommade, just put it out here and you will get nothing but great suggestions on this site. I certainly have. Pull up a log and have some fun.

rafe
03-04-2008, 23:46
This thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27910) might be useful. Or not.

justletgo
03-07-2008, 08:31
It is somewhat helpful, although I was hoping for some different perspectives, not one man's experience. One down, huh?

maxNcathy
03-07-2008, 08:39
This season I am excited to use my new shelter and backpack from Gossamer Gear.They weigh about 10 ozs each.The shelter is called Spinshelter and the pack is the G5.

I have tested them over the last several weeks and I am happy with them.

quasarr
03-07-2008, 10:44
You can look into making your own gear. It's a lot cheaper, and gives you a lot of pride in your stuff! I made my tarp and quilt from Ray Jardine's kits. http://www.ray-way.com/

And honestly I don't think there's much difference between "women's" gear and men's or unisex. Often it's just a marketing ploy. In many cases a company will make an item purple and sell it as women's without changing anything. A man's opinion and experience with gear is equally useful as a woman's! Despite a few differences, men and women have very similar needs when it comes to backpacking. The only areas where there's likely to be a difference is sleeping bag, backpack, and shoes.

Just about everything else - headlamp, water treatment, sleeping pad, shelter, cooking, rain gear, and most clothing - is the same. Although I'm sure there's someone about to come out with another silly product like "The Valkyrie Headlamp - specially engineered to fit a woman's head!" :-?

envirodiver
03-07-2008, 10:50
I like Big Agnes sleeping bags. The sleeve in the bottom to keep the pad in place is great. I toss and turn during the night and not having to try and stay on that pad is really nice for me.

Roots
03-07-2008, 11:08
This is my list: (this is strictly what works for me, but hopefully it will help:) )

Osprey Talon 44
Montbell UL SS #2
Thermarest 3/4 backpacker pad
MSR hubba(I have the hubba hubba and am ordering the hubba for my trip)
Caldera Alcohol stove
SteriPen

That's the main things..to me. NONE of my gear is specifically women's, I don't believe it matters either way, IMO. I have a full gear list on trailjournal.com/roots if you'd like to see.

Good luck to you.:sun

jesse
03-07-2008, 11:15

jesse
03-07-2008, 11:21
what kind of hiking/camping will you do? Like Quassar, I made RW quilts, tarps, and backpacks for me and my son. I like it because its lite, and cheap. There are a few inconveniences with using this gear, but I am willing to trade those off for a lighter, cheaper load. Two if those inconveniences are having to crawl in and out of the tarp, but hey I only do it twice a night, when I set up, and when I go to bed. The other is I have to have my quilt loaded last, so if I need something out of my packI have to pull the quilt out. BTW, I am not a long distance hiker.

thecaptain
03-07-2008, 13:44
ULA pack & filter
western mountaineering bag
POE pad
henry shires tarptent
caldera cone stove

spunky
03-07-2008, 14:10
ULA pack & filter
western mountaineering bag
POE pad
henry shires tarptent
caldera cone stove

ULA pack
Western Mountaineering bag
Zrest pad (cut part of it off)
MSR Hubba tent
alohol stove

Cherokee Bill
03-07-2008, 14:21
I am in the market for a new pack and bag, and I know what I want in each fairly well, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on important qualities they look for in their gear.

Feel free to tell me all about every single piece of gear you have and why you love it or hate it...

:mad:At 60yo, I finally gave away my exterior-frame pack of 20ys, and replaced it with an interior frame pack. After a year I still can not get use to the thing:confused: May sell it and go back to a interior frame again!

Quoddy
03-07-2008, 14:37
Here's (http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=6698) a list of my gear for the Colorado Trail this year. Other options to this that I've used are a TarpTent Contrail in lieu of the tarp and bivy, and a Montbell UL 90 pad instead of the GG Nightlight Torso. For shorter hikes and sectioning see this (http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=6909) slightly lighter weight list for what I'll be using.

RockyTrail4Ever
04-17-2008, 18:58
I'm a Peak bagger! I prefer:

Marmot Garmsal or Camelbak Hawg
Marmot Precip
ENO hammock

Lilred
04-17-2008, 20:40
I have the ULA pack. The hipbelt pockets are wonderful!! I don't know why all packmakers don't put pockets on their hipbelts....

My bag is the Campmor 20* down bag. Cheap, light, and has always kept me warm.

JAK
04-17-2008, 20:57
Just a few ideas that might be different than most:

1. Try hiking in heavy but breezy clothing, like wool sweater and loose wool pants, but without your skin layers and wind layers, and you will have more room in your pack, and your wool layers will stay dryer, and you will stink less and have fewer clothes to manage. Mid summer you will like go with shorts and a lighter but still loose sweater, but same deal.

2. Kelly Kettle. It really is nifty.

3. Light weight pack, but high volume.

tx.katie.finch
04-17-2008, 21:27
550 cord. It's the best! I can use it for shoe laces, bear rope, tent string replacement, the insides for thread, anything that requires a knot. It's extremely light and durable. Won't leave home without it.

Sunshine
04-20-2008, 21:50
I have a MSR hubba, hubba hubba for hiking with my dog and a HH. Love them all. The hubba is long enough to put your pack at the bottom. It would be tight with my dog. In the market for a new bag. Mine are a mixture of too big and bulky or too light weight.

Frau
04-21-2008, 11:39
Hey Justletgo!,

I am working the kinks out of gear myself. My new ULA Catalyst suits me well. Just carried approx 25 pounds 10.5 miles this weekend and finally got the top straps comfortable.

Pads--I have been using a 3/4 self-inflating borrowed from Nessmuk (sig.o.) and have had cold feet more than once despite heavy wool socks. SO, I have recently bought the Z-Fold, full length Thermarest (I think I have the name right) and hope to eliminate the cold feet.

I use a Slumberjack synthetic bag rated to 20 degrees for truck camping, but only this pasts weekend sent of the $ for Blissful's Lafuma 30 degree down bag. Wish I could be more help. Nessmuk uses poncho liners and I am never happy with the weight (too light weight, Or with the slipping off all night.

Love the simple little brass ETOH stove we use. We don't do any fancy cooking, and have recently added a Pocket Rocket which IS much faster in the water heating dept.

Mid-summer lets us use a sil-nylon tarp for backpacking. In winter we us a 2-man Army-issue, nylon_______? The name of the company is on it and I can't recall it. it is very easy to assemble and Nessmuk bought it at an army surplus store.

I second the suggestion about the cord. We use it a lot. Something else I can't do without--dental floss. It is a great multi-tasker.

Looking for the same ideas you are, from the responders. Good thread!

Frau

Connie
04-28-2008, 18:39
Here is my gear list: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/gearlist1.html

My next pack is Vaude Crystal Rock 30.

Nevertheless, I can strongly recommend Granite Gear Vapor Trail, Equinox
"Katahdin" for "volume" and Moonbow Gearskins is interesting for bulky loads. I just don't like so many straps, myself.

On the other hand, a highly compressible 800-fill down sleep system is not bulky, the sleeping "quilts" less bulk than most. The down quilts look good, and the Ray-Way down quilt "kit" is reasonably priced. There are complete quilt and pad "sleep systems". These put the down where it counts. You will no doubt purchase a sleeping pad anyway. Why not bring it all together?

However, I won't give up my snuggly Montbell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #7 sleeping bag anytime soon. I want a Montbell Super Stretch Down 800 U.L.S.S. Down Hugger #2, #3 in fact. That just goes to show how these decisions are for the individual.

Mags
04-28-2008, 18:45
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=33

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=33

I tend to keep it simple and light.

Blissful
04-28-2008, 22:30
Here is my gear list: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/gearlist1.html

Well, my hats off to you, esp for your sleeping pad. No way can I do that with my back, and I'm younger!

rdpolete
04-29-2008, 00:49
I like the GVP G4 for my pack (currently out of stock until June) and WM for sleeping bag.

Bear Cables
06-03-2008, 14:55
I know this is an older thread but here's my contribution to it.
Pack - Golite Quest
Bag - North Face 850 fil down 1lb 5oz 30 degree (can add sea to summit liner at 9oz to make it a 15 degree)
Tent - Henry Shires Contrail tarp tent
Snow peak giga fuel stove and titaium 3 piece cook set ( i use one pot)
Zrest pad cut to 3/4 length

tenlots
06-06-2008, 20:45
The beauty of these discussions is there is so much gear out there. One only sees the commercial stuff in REI or LLBean. I now use a granite gear vapor ki pack, a western mountaineer sleeping bag 20 deg, (pricey...but to me...worth it.), jet boil, hiker pro filter, big agnes insulated pad, sea to summit bags. My hiking partner carries the tent and I carry the food. I needed my pack to weigh only 20 lbs with water. the water containers are the platypus 1 liters and weigh only .5 oz. Hope this helps.

Tanya
06-12-2008, 13:59
I just got Osprey Aura 65 - beautiful light pack, although needs a little getting used to in terms of loading. But overall great great pack; love the back structure - no more backpacks soaked through with sweat. Extremely comfortable on the shoulders.
Another important update in my gear list - Big Agnes SL2 tent - so lightweight that even if I go solo, I can still take it. Convenient, quick, easy set up.
EMS mountain light 20 sleeping bag - very light, packable and warm.

happy trails,
t

Lucinda
07-12-2008, 17:31
My favorite pieces of gear:

My tiny, basic Esbit stove. When all you need to do is boil water, why bring along anything else?

My JacksRBetter No Sniveller quilt. Great for summer.

My Aqua Mira water purification. No need for a filter.

My Equinox poncho (works as a pack cover as well and can function as a tarp).

These are my favorite pieces. I have a good collection of packs and tents as well. It's hard for me to choose among them.

Lyle
07-12-2008, 20:11
Hey,

You're going to get a lot of varying opinions for this question! Here are my preferences, all based on many years experience. The most important experience, gear wise, has been the last 5 years while I've been making a concerted effort to lighten my pack.

Pack: ULA P2 (no longer made, but I'd trust any of ULA's packs)
Reason: Lighter weight than my old frame pack, yet very sturdy. I'm 100% satisfied after 4 years use.

Sleeping Bag: EMS Velocity 35
Reason: Cheap (relatively), very light weight for a synthetic (1.5 lbs or thereabouts), PrimaLoft drapes and compresses very well - closest to down that I've found. All that being said, I plan to eventually switch to down.

Stove: Pepsi Can for three season, SVEA 123 for winter
Reason: Weight, Price, DEPENDABILITY! Never had a cold meal that wasn't planned that way.

Rain Gear: Frogg Toggs (I have a generic, but they are no longer made)
Reason: Light, Breath as well as any others I've tried, better than most, Keep the rain out, warm as a light jacket, reasonably durable with some care, CHEAP.

Long Underwear: Duofold Poly Pro top and bottom
Reason: Cheap, Light, Have always worked well for me. In winter, I take these and a heavier set of LL Bean mid-weights that I've had for years, make that decades.:)

Shoes: Vasque Trail Runners with Orange Superfeet
Reason: After having various success throught the years with various fullgrain leather boots, lightweight leather, leather/fabric, other trail runners without superfeet, I tried this combination on my last trip. Had zero foot problems on that two week+ trip. Not even a hot spot. Be sure to check out Superfeet if you have a history of foot problems. Feet are still sore after 17 miles, nothing will prevent that I don't think.:)

Shelter: Haven't settled on anything yet. So far I love my Speer Hammock and tarp. Also like "The One" from Gossamer Gear. and the Wild Oasis from Six Moons. Definately would go with a Tarp, TarpTent, or Hammock for the AT during normal season.
Reason: Hammock is VERY comfortable, but somewhat heavier than the other two. I tend to stay in shelters frequently, so try to go with the lightest shelter.

Poles: PacerPoles
Reason: In the past I've used hiking staffs that I picked up in the woods, no poles, commercial staffs with grips and rubber tips, REI shock absorbing poles. Since I've tried PacerPoles 3 years ago, I've used nothing else. They are unique and by far the most comfortable and easiest to use. Be sure to check them out and give them serious consideration before spending your money elsewhere.

Pants/Shorts: REI Sahara zip offs
Reason: Reasonably priced, convenient, comfortable, light. Had a pair of Columbia zip offs for many years, liked them as well, but the Saharas fit better.

Insulating layor: REI Primaloft jacket with hood (no longer made, but there are similar out there)
Reason: Light, warm (great hood), Primaloft so compresses well (much better than fleece)

Shirts: One long sleeve, one short sleeve wicking tee. Lightest I can find.
Reason: Never found a reason to spend much on a shirt to hike in. These work fine.

Guess that's it for now, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Green Frog
07-12-2008, 21:00
Here is one of my choices, the pack has a couple of clips for the hydration & two pockets on the side for extra bottles. One of the belt straps has a small pocket. 2lbs 9 oz. hard to come by as I had to order on line, it wasn't at the store when I went to look for it. I am on the fence about bags as there are too many to choose from

Green Frog
07-12-2008, 21:01
http://www.rei.com/product/747515

tenlots
07-12-2008, 21:11
I love my...western mountaineering bag, sea-summit bags, granite gear vapor ki, jet boil, hiker pro, thorlo socks only, aslo boots, microfiber panties, big agnes insulated pad and last but not least, my water bags only weigh .5 oz each.

Captn
07-13-2008, 09:34
I use a hybrid pad system ... Gossamer Gear Torso Nightlight on top with a Big Agnes inflatable 2.5 inch thick air core pillow under my hips and 2 inch velcro between the two. Light, simple, and effective.

I also treat my water and use my platy as a pillow/shoulder pad during the night .... keeps it from freezing and makes my Alcohol stove work a lot better in the morning by having the water 20 degrees warmer than ambient.

If it's really cold boil half a liter of water and add it to the platy ... keeps you warm all night.

Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis tent ..... 13 ounces of wonderful shelter and a 3 x 7 4 ounce tyvek footprint. Ultimate flexibility for sleeping under the stars or in the tent, bug proof, simple to put up (once you practice a few times), and very stormworthy.

ULA Conduit pack ..... most comfortable pack I've ever owned.

Aquamira .... no clog, simple, easy, and very effective. A Week's worth can be decanted into .5 ounce bottles .... and it only weighs an ounce.

GoLite Ultra 20 quilt ..... for a big guy like me I can't stand to be confined in a bag ..... You may feel differently.

Packafeather alcohol stove ..... ADJUSTABLE! at 1.4 ounces.

Hienie beercan pot from Minibulldesigns ...... if you never boil it dry the plastic liner will last forever ..... a Pot at less than an ounce ... and sturdy too.

Buy the mini bottles and containers from Backpacking Light dot com .... useful in a thousand ways.

A cotton Bandana ..... tool of a million uses.

hopefulhiker
07-13-2008, 09:40
I used an external frame luxury lite pack with a front pack, really liked it,
I used a Big Agnes insulated air core mattress with a down blanket and silk liner,liked it
I used the Henry Shires Tarp Tent Squall liked it
and I used Sgt Rock's Ion alcohol stove and liked it.

Live the Journey
07-13-2008, 13:10
I work at an outfitter and here are some of my favorite items and/or brands that I just think work really well...not getting hung up on prices or brand popularity...

I personally use...
Gregory Deva 65 pack
Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy (in eVent)
Keen Targhee boots
MSR pocket rocket
REI nooksack (30 degree rating for women, 35 for men, made of primaloft)
REI kilo series UL down bags (variety of temp ratings)
Thermarest prolite 4 for women
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor sleeping bag liner (adds 10-15 degrees of warmth with the weight of a poly liner...possibly one of my most favorite pieces of gear...I use it alone in the heat of the summer and always with my sleeping bag, whichever I'm using, to maintain the life of the bag as well as add warmth)
REI TiWear titanium cookpot 1.3L size
Sea to Summit Dry Sacks...I use them for everything in a variety of sizes to organize and waterproof the interior of my pack...I use the ultrasil ones for everything but my foodbag, that one is in the standard material which is a little stronger for being hung up.
MSR Miniworks filter

These are things that work well for me. I love them, you may not. For example
I love my Gregory Deva, but I also have a 14 inch torso, and it is quite literally the ONLY pack that I've gotten any kind of a good fit out of...luckily for me, the pack rocks. I don't mind that it's a little heavy because it carries the weight so well.
I wear Keen boots because I have rather unfortunatley duck-shaped feet...Keens are the best fit for my feet, but they aren't my favorite boots on paper...however, you can't fake a good fit, so they're the best boot for me as of right now.

everyone's different, you'll figure out your own system...I've found it so helpful to make roadtrips to different outfitters all around me to compare what they've got and try out things my store doesn't have.

Bear Cables
07-13-2008, 14:04
Don't ya'll just LOVE gear!:bananaI think I'm a gear junkie.

4eyedbuzzard
07-13-2008, 15:26
Right now...

Pack: Aarn Peak Aspiration with sport balance pockets
Pad: Big Agnes air core 72"
Bag: 40F Sierra Designs Wicked Light or 20F NF Blue Kazoo if colder
Shelter: Etowah Outfitters Meadows Tarp (8x10)
Bug Screen: Sea to Summit
Stove: Jetboil
Water Purification: Steripen

Dancer
07-23-2008, 13:00
I love my Big Agnes sleeping bag. I'm a big girl but this bag has plenty of room. I can't remember the name of the model but it's great. I have an old Coleman Peak 1 Cobra tent and even though part of me says I need a newer, better one when I thru ....I love the old girl.

NLena
07-23-2008, 13:05
Two of my favorite pieces of gear were my SteriPen and my PocketMail (non-essential, of course). The SteriPen was a light, reliable and fast method to treat water. I was sipping while others were waiting for chemicals to treat or pumping water. My PocketMail I loved because it allowed me to keep in touch with people back home and keep my journal entries. For both of these, I always used lithium batteries to make them lighter and to make them last longer. I am a HUGE proponent of lithium batteries for hiking....they are good for use in your camera too when the alkaline ones freeze and won't allow you to take photos!

Farr Away
07-23-2008, 21:39
Pack - Gregory Tega; plan to go to the Jade for a little more volume eventually
Shelter - Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker
'Bag' - RayWay quilt kit for overquilt & the Potomac underquilt
Stove - cat stove from the plans on Sgt Rock's Hiking HQ

Lillianp
07-24-2008, 08:33
Farr Away, how is the ultra light Hennesy Hammock working out for you? I'm considering getting one and I'd be doing some shake down hikes in mid march before starting my thru in 2010 in early april or late march. What do you need to keep yourself warm?

Farr Away
08-11-2008, 21:57
Sorry, I just saw this.

I have an underquilt, an overquilt, and a 9x9 Kelty tarp. I haven't used the Kelty more than once; most of my experience is with the stock tarp. With that setup, it won't take me much lower than the 60s. I'm a very cold sleeper though. I am hoping that the Kelty will let me go a little lower.

spirit4earth
08-12-2008, 15:26
I have a Marmot Pounder Plus, which is rated to 25 degrees. I would say it's good only to 35 or 40 degrees. I wouldn't recommend it to a cold sleeper. I'll go with down next----possibly a Marmot or a Montbell. I had a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which I liked, but have sold for something even lighter. I'm going to try a Vapor Ki next. If that's not comfortable, I might defect from

SoulSista
09-22-2008, 06:00
I'm gonna add to this thread, cause I love my gear and have been refining it for some time now.
Like the one gal, I have had one heckuva time finding a pack that fit and like her went with a Gregory Deva 60 (2007 model) internal frame pack. I went with that for a different reason tho- I have a bad back and recovered from a back accident most don't recover from.

So here is my gear list and reasons for it:

Gregory Deva 60 (2007) - although a bit heavy, fits and carries like a dream! I also
have a different fit...small torso, med hip belt, so generic one size fits all packs w
won't work for me, like the Gregory Jade, among other ultralight packs. :(

Exped 7 DownMat sleeping pad- weighs the same as the Thermarest 1" pads, but at 2.75",
gives this side sleeper a bit more cushion to sleep on, and insulates you from the
cold ground. They also come in a 3/4 length to lighten up the load. This sleeping
pad is about 1/4 the size of traditional pads and fits inside your pack. A rather
spendy purchase though at $140 bucks.

REI -5F rated bag- I ended up with a hybrid down bag a year ago, mid year, and it's
much lighter than the stated weight on their website. Since I backpack all over, I
wanted ONE bag to cover all of my 3 season backpacking needs. This bag weighs
less than most 20F rated synthetic bags, like the North Face Cat's Meow, which I
also own. It also packs down much smaller.

Henry Shire's Rainbow Tarptent/Double Rainbow- Love Henry's tarptents!! Plan on
buying another one, but the Rainbow series is his best storm proof and snow
handling tent. It's quick to set up and easy to do too, even in bad weather. The
liner on the Double Rainbow is fantastic for damp areas.

REI's Zip off Sahara pants- love having to NOT take extra shorts on the trail!!

Patagonia thermals- another great lightweight invention- I make use of these- #2 for
spring and fall, #3 for colder temps, and those of us who freeze easily (like me).

Merrill Radius 3/4 boots- I cannot deal with trail runners on the trail- my feet need
more support and I've found these to be a great lighweight alternative, as well as
not needing to be broken in. They are comfy right out of the box! Great boot! They
also come in wide sizes for both guys and gals.

My gear has to take me through all kinds of trails and conditons so I try to make it so it fits all situations.