PDA

View Full Version : Where to go on the AT ?

Bowbender
03-04-2008, 13:20
I am looking for a 40 to 70 miles section of the AT that is not too far from eastern Ohio that myself and a friend from Idaho can do this year. I was out west with her last year and it is my turn to find a trail for us to enjoy. It would be great if we could do a loop but that would not be a trip killer.
Thanks for your help.

Bob

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 13:34
Wautaga Lake, Tn. northbound to Fox Creek, VA 603. around 78 miles

bigcranky
03-04-2008, 13:35
Southwest Virginia, from the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area Headquarters building southbound to the town of Damascus. About 65 miles of spectacular scenery, wild ponies, and good hiking.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 13:38
Or north on the AT out of Damascus for 43 miles then back into Damascus on the Iron Mtn. trail for about 20 miles

Bowbender
03-04-2008, 13:57
Thanks for the info. This will get me thinking and planning.

Bob

The Weasel
03-04-2008, 14:02
Thanks for the info. This will get me thinking and planning.

Bob

Bow: The VA suggestions are good, although I'd include Shenandoah National Park, too. Not sure where in "Eastern Ohio" you are, but if that's Akron/Canton, for instance, I'd truck my way over PA to the Pennsylvania or New York segments of the AT, or even Harpers Ferry southbound. Closer, and good trails.

TW

Miss Q
03-04-2008, 16:10
Southwest Virginia, from the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area Headquarters building southbound to the town of Damascus. About 65 miles of spectacular scenery, wild ponies, and good hiking.

When you say spectacular scenery, what kinds of scenery? I notice that it goes through Mount Rogers Recreation area. Fresh water sources wouldn't be an issue? Does this section have any resupply stops?

Thanks for your input.
Miss Q

Miss Q
03-04-2008, 16:14
Bow: The VA suggestions are good, although I'd include Shenandoah National Park, too.

TW

I was wondering about Shenandoah also. But is it way overcrowded and so many trees that you don't get much scenery? I understand it is pretty flat and has LOTS of resupply spots though.

BTW, I am the Idaho gal Bowbender is going to hike with :)

Thanks for your input.
Miss Q

Miss Q
03-04-2008, 16:17
Or north on the AT out of Damascus for 43 miles then back into Damascus on the Iron Mtn. trail for about 20 miles

This sounds interesting, where would one find info on the iron mountain trail, such as JPG maps?

Thanks, Miss Q

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 16:20
This sounds interesting, where would one find info on the iron mountain trail, such as JPG maps?

Thanks, Miss Q

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_virginia.html map #786

Miss Q
03-04-2008, 16:26
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_virginia.html map #786

THX.
Miss Q

bigcranky
03-04-2008, 17:23
When you say spectacular scenery, what kinds of scenery? I notice that it goes through Mount Rogers Recreation area. Fresh water sources wouldn't be an issue? Does this section have any resupply stops?

You would be in the Mt Rogers NRA for the entire hike. Scenery, hmm: Open balds. Wild horses. Rhododendrons in full bloom in early June. Beautiful creek bottoms, open farms, valleys. Wild blueberries by the ton in late summer. Photos:

http://tinyurl.com/37afxk
http://tinyurl.com/2poxgk
http://tinyurl.com/2tgxog

Water has been an issue in the Southeast, but the springs are generally good in this area. You'd want to call ahead to make sure of what's running.

You can leave a car in Damascus and ask Lone Wolf to shuttle you. (Don't let his gruff online persona fool you; he's a good guy. Sorry to "out" you, LW.) He'll also know the water situation.

There are some decent climbs along this stretch, but if you go southbound you'll start fairly easy for the first day or so.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2008, 17:59
Or north on the AT out of Damascus for 43 miles then back into Damascus on the Iron Mtn. trail for about 20 milesLW whats the grade on the IMT. I have only seen the trailheads at 421 and Cross Mtn Road. It seemed a bit overgrown.

Possum Bill
03-04-2008, 21:03
LW whats the grade on the IMT. I have only seen the trailheads at 421 and Cross Mtn Road. It seemed a bit overgrown.

I talked to a guy just a couple of days ago that is a trail maintainer on the IMT. From what he told me the trail is very well-blazed everywhere , but the IMT south of Damascus is much more rugged and less used than the IMT north of Damascus. From the looks of my topos the IMT south of Damascus is very level (much the same as Watauga Lake to Damascus). I hope to do a big loop on the AT and IMT someday starting (and ending) at Highway 91.

Bowbender
03-05-2008, 19:01
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the information that was provided. We now just have to decide where to go and make the arangements.

Bob

CaseyB
03-05-2008, 19:25
I believe Wolf was suggesting the IMT as a route back to Dams after having hiked 40-odd miles north of Dams on the AT to just past Fox Creek, Hurricane Gap I think?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 05:27
yes casey. correct.

canoehead
03-06-2008, 07:19
Check out Western MA, thru hike the state 88+mi or The state of CT goog views, good times

rafe
03-06-2008, 09:16
Check out Western MA, thru hike the state 88+mi or The state of CT goog views, good times

Eastern MA is where I live, but I have to say (I mean, in my opinion and all that...) the AT in MA isn't particularly interesting or challenging. A bit like Maryland (terrain-wise) or maybe PA without the rocks. ;)

rafe
03-06-2008, 09:35
I was wondering about Shenandoah also. But is it way overcrowded and so many trees that you don't get much scenery? I understand it is pretty flat and has LOTS of resupply spots though.

SNP isn't flat. But in contrast to many other parts of the AT, it's beautifully graded, so the walking feels easy. There are lots of good views. And yes, lots of resupply points and other facilities -- waysides with food, lodges, etc. There's also Skyline Drive running smack through it.

I wouldn't call it "overcrowded." 90% of the hikers you meet will be within a half mile of wherever their car is parked. I walked through the northern half of the park on Labor Day weekend and it was still pleasant.