PDA

View Full Version : Recipes needed for bulk dehydrated stuff

Old Hillwalker
03-04-2008, 14:31
Last fall I was given about 30 pounds of Adventure Foods and Enertia meals. Those I can deal with no problem. However I was also given some bulk dehydrated stuff that came from Adv. Foods and other than toss it I thought I would see if some of you creative types suggest some ways to use it on the trail.

Here's the list of what I have on hand:

1/4 pound of cheddar powder
1/4 pound of sweet potato crystals
1/4 pound of sun dried tomatoes

1 pound of chunky dehydrated refried beans
1.5 pounds of precooked dehydrated brown rice

Of course I have no problem with buying stuff to go with it.

Any ideas?

Grinder
03-04-2008, 15:45
search these forums, in the food and cooking section, for "sarbar" . Any post from her has a link to her cooking page. If you wnat, buy her cookbook. It is filled with recipes for your type of cooking.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

budforester
03-04-2008, 15:58
I agree, start with Sarbar’s (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm) site or search “ dehydrated camping food. Here are some ideas these ingredients suggest to me: Cheese fits into soups, breads, potatoes. Make a cheese sauce that goes with vegetables, rice, pasta. Sweet potato plain, sweetened as dessert, in pancakes or other breads. Tomatoes go well in rice or pasta. Beans and rice can stand alone or go well together; choose your seasonings to make them Cajun, Tex-Mex, Asian. I have fun experimenting at home.

sarbar
03-04-2008, 16:14

Cheddar powder=add to rice with beans and tomatoes. Toss in some chili powder, dried onions, etc. Good casserole!

sun dried tomatoes=if not, dice them up. Add them to dinners! 1-2 Tbsp is all you need. Good stuff.

Sweet potatoes? Make sweet potatoes on the trail. Add in brown sugar, cinnamon, etc. Use them in soups. Use them instead of mashed potatoes.

1/4 moon
03-08-2008, 04:37
send them to mee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k. be creative...chedder powder-with some bacon bits and instan potatoes, dehydrate some brocolli, mac and cheese

1/4 moon
03-08-2008, 04:38
on a side note can you purchase this stuff anywhere?

Appalachian Tater
03-08-2008, 14:24
Last fall I was given about 30 pounds of Adventure Foods and Enertia meals. Those I can deal with no problem. However I was also given some bulk dehydrated stuff that came from Adv. Foods and other than toss it I thought I would see if some of you creative types suggest some ways to use it on the trail.

Here's the list of what I have on hand:

Of course I have no problem with buying stuff to go with it.

Any ideas?The sun dried tomatoes are great with tortellini and some bacon or pepperoni.

If you can reconstitute the sweet potatoes into an edible form, they would be great with brown sugar, raisins, marshmallows, or all three! Otherwise, you could use them for sweetening and thickening other dishes.

rice + beans + tortillas + salsa packet = burrito