PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ways to fund?

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:24
I was thinking of different ways to fund my thru-hike and I started consolidating my spare change and collecting cans to deposit. Is there an interesting method you used to fund your hike? If not, is there another more productive way of gaining a little bit of cash other then what Im doing? Share your opinion! :-?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 15:26
a JOB perhaps?

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 15:28
I was thinking of different ways to fund my thru-hike and I started consolidating my spare change and collecting cans to deposit. Is there an interesting method you used to fund your hike? If not, is there another more productive way of gaining a little bit of cash other then what Im doing? Share your opinion! :-?

You any good with your mangina?

YeOldeBackpacker
03-04-2008, 15:29
You beat me to it!! I have to type faster:rolleyes:
a JOB perhaps?

DesertMTB
03-04-2008, 15:31
LW read my mind.

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:32
a JOB perhaps?

Thats realy clever lonewolf. But nonetheless unnessacary. Maybe something on topic next time?

DesertMTB
03-04-2008, 15:32
It is amazing how much change one can collect from serving people food.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2008, 15:35
Neurosis:

A few quick ideas:

*Get a second job, or a third
*If there's one nearby, try and get a part time job with an Outfitter
*Open a separate bank account for the trip, for DEPOSITS only. No
withdrawls from this account unless they're trip related
*Kill ALL un-necessary spending, i.e. try and go without buying any
new clothes, CD's, books, magazines. Keep dining out to a minimum.
Bring lunch from home to work. Rent movies, don't go to the theater.
Patronize the library and not the bookstore. No vacations, concerts,
or other frills; your hike will be this year's vacation.

Everyone complains about how hard it is to save money, but that's because they don't take the time to write down EVERYTHING they spend money on. If you do this for a week, you'd be amazed to see how much money people fritter away each week on junk food, designer coffees, magazines, lottery
tickets, clothes,restaurant food and drink, etc. In short, people spend a ton of money each week on stuff they don't need. Everyone has closets and shelves filled with stuff they bought and haven't used since the week they bought them. Master the art of only buying stuff you really need, and you'll start saving money. Put it into the bank in a separate account, and you'll have trouble spending it.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 15:39
Thats realy clever lonewolf. But nonetheless unnessacary. Maybe something on topic next time?

it's right on topic. you asked what you could do to earn money, i said get a job. so to answer your question, get a job to fund your thru-hike. DUH

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 15:40
Do mommy and daddy have deep pockets?

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 15:42
Returning old year's gear to REI, Dumpster diving/starving one's self, working an unnecessary ammount of overtime. I also found a bunch of old bikes + parts and have been building commuter bikes and selling them to college kids. Selling ANYTHING to college kids, it seems they have so much money they can barely walk.

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:42
[quote=Jack Tarlin;558388]Neurosis:

*Kill ALL un-necessary spending, i.e. try and go without buying any
new clothes, CD's, books, magazines. Keep dining out to a minimum.
Bring lunch from home to work. Rent movies, don't go to the theater.
Patronize the library and not the bookstore. No vacations, concerts,
or other frills; your hike will be this year's vacation.

Awesome advice and I have been doing this, alot! I even took my car off the road and I now walk or bike to work, and Im also about to work for the AMC Huts in NH for the summer which will further allow me to leave my car off the road, which is one less bill and that much more saved!:)

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 15:43
*If there's one nearby, try and get a part time job with an Outfitter

Can we say employee discount??

Bob S
03-04-2008, 15:44
A very simple way to fund things is to just put a few dollars away for the hike from each paycheck.

I have found easy ways to make extra money for pet projects or outings. I make homemade antennas and sell them at hamfest (Amateur radio swap meets like a flea market) and I also make folding camping tables out of wood and sell them at the local campgrounds and also at hamfest.

Working in my spare time I can turn out a lot of tables & antennas and can easily make $500.00 at a hamfest. I go to 5 or so of these every year. I keep telling myself I should sell on e-bay but never seem to get around to doing it.

Try to find a craft item you can make and sell. It’s nice to get an extra $500.00 play money several times a year. :sun

bfitz
03-04-2008, 15:45
Jacks outfitter job idea is a good one specially if you can get a discount on gear! Also, here in VA we can get free mulch at the dump and fill a truck with it, then roll through townhouse rows in early spring and offer to mulch their hedges. Usually 20-50 bucks a house and you can do a lot in a day. Also bring a ladder and offer to clean their gutters for 50-100 bucks. A gas powered leaf blower will clean out a gutter in a jiffy. In mass shoveling snow might work the same way. Someone also recommended once delivering phone books and yellow pages. Even getting some conditioning by running them up stairs in apartment buildings in a backpack....think entrepreneur. I've made mad money selling fancy grill cheese sandwiches at concerts.

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:45
it's right on topic. you asked what you could do to earn money, i said get a job. so to answer your question, get a job to fund your thru-hike. DUH

It was implied that you already work a job, this is obvious. The post was regarding small things such as saving spare change and collecting cans to earn a little extra cash.

capehiker
03-04-2008, 15:46
I was thinking of different ways to fund my thru-hike and I started consolidating my spare change and collecting cans to deposit.

Along those same lines, see if your local dump will pay out for metals (brass, steel, etc.). Then look around on the days where neighborhoods can throw out large items. I funded a two week trip out west (food, travel lodging, trinkets) just by curb shopping over two months. You can make some serious cash. If I saw a car in the driveway, I knocked and asked if I could take their metal. If no one was home, I snatched it up real quick. LOL

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:50
Along those same lines, see if your local dump will pay out for metals (brass, steel, etc.). Then look around on the days where neighborhoods can throw out large items. I funded a two week trip out west (food, travel lodging, trinkets) just by curb shopping over two months. You can make some serious cash. If I saw a car in the driveway, I knocked and asked if I could take their metal. If no one was home, I snatched it up real quick. LOL

Wow, I never knew that, I'll definetly look into that. I know a lot of places that just throw away scraps like that. Thanks.

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 15:50
It was implied that you already work a job, this is obvious. The post was regarding small things such as saving spare change and collecting cans to earn a little extra cash.

No, it wasn't implied. I thought the same thing LW did

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2008, 15:51
Oh, I forgot a big one:

If you smoke tobacco, drink liquor, or smoke pot, try to cut your use in half. You'll be amazed at the savings.

For example, if one is pack-a-day smoker, and if smokes cost, on average 4.50 a pack, that's around five hundred bucks saved if you quit a few months before your trip. Cut back by half and you'll STILL save a couple hundred. Or switch to Drum or American Spirit and roll your own; you'll save money and probably find that you're smoking less.

Cut back on weed, too, or better yet, give it up.

As for drinking, do it at home. If I have three Rolling Rocks at home, it costs me $2.50. The same three beers at my favorite pub, after tipping, costs twelve bucks.

And don't be a beer snob. Drinking Rock or PBR won't kill you.

One other thing: Try cooking at home more. Last night I cooked dinner for a friend. We had a beautiful roast pork loin, three vegetables, a beautiful salad, garlic bread, and a bottle of wine, all for 20 bucks. Same meal in a restaurant would have cost twice that. (and we had the leftovers for lunch!)

In any case, there are lots of things you can do.

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 15:54
No, it wasn't implied. I thought the same thing LW did

The word "Interesting" was implying different and original ways people made extra money for there hikes. Such as capehikers idea about selling metal to dumps. If you realy think getting a job is a unique way to make money then I aplogize. Otherwise I cant agree with you.

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 15:56
The word "Interesting" was implying different and original ways people made extra money for there hikes. Such as capehikers idea about selling metal to dumps. If you realy think getting a job is a unique way to make money then I aplogize. Otherwise I cant agree with you.

Sorry, but I know of plenty of 20 somethings that think a job IS a truly unique way to make money. Sorry for the confusion.

bfitz
03-04-2008, 15:57
Yeah, I just assumed he already had a job.

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 15:58
Pork loin and a bottle of whine....Who's the lucky goat???

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 16:00
Sorry, but I know of plenty of 20 somethings that think a job IS a truly unique way to make money. Sorry for the confusion.

Haha, I can definetly agree with you there! There are some real characters out there.

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 16:01
How about prfessional yodeling??

Neurosis
03-04-2008, 16:03
How about prfessional yodeling??

Are you willing to teach me?:-?

Heater
03-04-2008, 16:04

You will be doing more work collecting cans and stuff than you would by just getting a part time weekend job or night job. :rolleyes: You will be making and saving less too.

Heater
03-04-2008, 16:05
Are you willing to teach me?:-?

I can. $40 an hour. We can start next week.

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 16:26
Don't listen to him he only came in 4th place in nationals. I came in second only to a 600 lb. Oakie.

Flush2wice
03-04-2008, 16:37
This looks like a fun and interesting way to make a few extra bucks-
http://www.puppyprofits.com/

dessertrat
03-04-2008, 16:44

I'm surprised you haven't come out and just asked Whiteblazers to send you money yet. :rolleyes:

You started out on Whiteblaze saying "I'm poor." Young man, being broke or short on funds is a temporary state. Poverty is a state of mind. If you are "poor" you need to change your mindset. If you are "broke", you need to get a job. Maybe poor people shouldn't be enjoying the luxury of thru-hiking.

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 16:46
Hunt and fish more.

hnryclay
03-04-2008, 16:46
I'm surprised you haven't come out and just asked Whiteblazers to send you money yet. :rolleyes:

You started out on Whiteblaze saying "I'm poor." Young man, being broke or short on funds is a temporary state. Poverty is a state of mind. If you are "poor" you need to change your mindset. If you are "broke", you need to get a job. Maybe poor people shouldn't be enjoying the luxury of thru-hiking.

WoW dead on, but harsh.

dmax
03-04-2008, 16:52
i have a friend who does the scrap thing also. he does this in the evening after work. i always call him and let him know if there is an old washing machine or a frig in our neighbor hood.

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 17:00
Stop whining and just go 'till you are broke. This is the third "poor me" thread this month.

Bob S
03-04-2008, 17:11

I can see someone being poor but still not wanting a handout, he never asked for money to be sent to him for free, he asked for ideas on how to make extra money to enjoy his chosen hobby. To jump to the idea that he’s only a post away from asking for a handout is kinda insulting. He was asking for ideas on how he can earn more money. The key thing is he asked is how we earn extra money to fund our hobby, this means he was willing to work for it but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Don’t imply that having little money means the guy is looking for a handout. After all how much money did all of you have when you were 20-years old and how knowledgeable were you about earning extra money at that age? Not that much I would guess. The fact that he’s asking how to make more money, and seems willing to work for it, and not for a handout says a lot about the guy.

dessertrat
03-04-2008, 17:18
It's like a "will work for food" sign, Bob. If he really wanted to work for money he'd be out looking for a job or a better job and not posting on here with impoverished laments.

His profile says that his occupation is that of musician. I know a few musicians who pay the bills playing music, but for most people, myself included, it is an avocation rather than a money maker. Don't tell me your only job is musician and then complain about being poor!

Tipi Walter
03-04-2008, 17:23
It's nearly impossible to make money while mobile, there has to be some downtime from the trail to catch up on funds. I once had a job that required working one day a week, on a Friday, and so I spent 5 weeks in Pisgah National Forest and hitched out once a week to work and returned to the woods for another week out. But this example will not work when hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Maybe if you planned out your hike in a certain way, you could base it around "work hubs" where money could be made for several weeks while camping for free nearby in the woods. Such hubs could be in most of the towns along the trail like Front Royal, etc.

Otherwise, it's still possible to live outdoors and backpack but maybe not hike long distances. Find a town with trails and some wilderness around it, find a suitable job(one day a week is good--mine was a church janitor), and the rest of the time HIKE AND CAMP. Amen.

It wasn't all that long ago when people had no money, they lived off the land and some even roamed, nomadic, etc. I think Farley Mowat lived on mice. With the current recession, what would people do if there's no cash? Or very little? What would people who are prepared to live outdoors do? Backpackers? Would we all starve? I'd start wanting to see the local grist mills back in operation.

I'd add to zoidfu2's remark and say hunt and fish and plant. Then our "work" would be directly tied to our own survival.

A-Train
03-04-2008, 17:43
Some thoughts, since I've been playing the part of the young thru-hikin' bum for awhile now.

Jacks ideas are good. However if someone really wants to save serious money they wouldn't smoke, drink or do drugs at all. If the hike is THAT important to you you should be able to abstain.

Check out craigslist. There are always oddjobs (moving jobs, painting, office/clerical work, etc.) Also, look for temp jobs online and in local papers. I've got paid 15-18 bucks an hour to do simple office work and database entry. Pretty straight forward.

Good idea with the AMC huts job. They don't pay much at all, but getting free/subsidized room and board will save you a lot of dough, and without bills.

Get ride of your cell phone before the thru-hike. Most cell bills are about 60 bucks nowadays. This will be 300 bucks over the course of a hike, where a phone card would be much cheaper.

While outfitters can be a great way to get cheap/discounted gear, they're not the best place to make money. Mostly minimum wage and retail becomes a drag after awhile (working weekends, holidays, nights, etc.)

Good luck and be creative. Maybe even shoot your friends and family a bulk email asking them to keep their ears open for you. I've gotten lots of work from caring friends who heard of people looking for help and forwarded me an email. If you're flexible and don't mind be a bit of a factotum, you can make some dough.

Lilred
03-04-2008, 17:49
His profile says that his occupation is that of musician. I know a few musicians who pay the bills playing music, but for most people, myself included, it is an avocation rather than a money maker. Don't tell me your only job is musician and then complain about being poor!

That's right, my husband is a musician and doesn't make squat. That's why he has 3 other part time jobs.

Try having a garage sale. That's how I intend to fund part of my section this year.

Mrs Baggins
03-04-2008, 17:51
We sold our house (before the big slide in prices). All of the household stuff we didn't want went to 1) the kids 2) Goodwill 3) landfill 4) auction house. The rest went into storage. Sold one of the two cars. Okay, so that's all kinda drastic, but it worked for us! Now for my upcoming 2 weeks on the trail I'm selling off AT videos, AT books, and gear that didn't work for me last time out.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2008, 17:56
Has anyone sold out and slapped a bunch of ads on their gear?

Pony
03-04-2008, 18:07
It is amazing how much change one can collect from serving people food.

My girlfriend and I paid for our vacation to a fishing camp in Ontario the past two years with spare ones and coins from serving/bartending. Around $1500.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-04-2008, 18:11
a JOB perhaps?
Pretty radical suggestion even for you Mr. Wolf. :rolleyes:

-Ghost-
03-04-2008, 18:11
Here in Morgantown there is a place called Kendle. Its a drug study place. Basically they give you drugs (prescription drugs and relatively safe....i think :)...) they take your blood a lot, you literally do nothing, and you get paid around 1000 for 2 weekends of no work. College students are desperate...myself included.

Sly
03-04-2008, 18:17
-----------------------

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 18:17
Medical studies. I did one and made $100 in 2-3 hours. A friend makes real money doing sleep studies. I think he's made like 3 grand over the last year with a total of about 30-40 hours, on different days and times.

Alligator
03-04-2008, 18:25
I'm the result of scientific experiments. Horrible, horrible experiments.

Johnny Thunder
03-04-2008, 18:32
Some thoughts, since I've been playing the part of the young thru-hikin' bum for awhile now.

Check out craigslist. There are always oddjobs (moving jobs, painting, office/clerical work, etc.) Also, look for temp jobs online and in local papers. I've got paid 15-18 bucks an hour to do simple office work and database entry. Pretty straight forward.

While outfitters can be a great way to get cheap/discounted gear, they're not the best place to make money. Mostly minimum wage and retail becomes a drag after awhile (working weekends, holidays, nights, etc.)

Good luck and be creative. Maybe even shoot your friends and family a bulk email asking them to keep their ears open for you. I've gotten lots of work from caring friends who heard of people looking for help and forwarded me an email. If you're flexible and don't mind be a bit of a factotum, you can make some dough.

Craigslist...the paper...the local moving company...a local event venue or conference center...a local hotel...etc.

I picked up about 2 grand through my employer working as a consultant to one of our pharmaceutical clients. They'd fly me to various convention towns in the US and I'd set up computers for HUGE pharma trade shows. There's a lot of money to be had in conventions.

Everytime you hear of something big coming to town (American Idol tryouts, a Consumer Electronics Show, a Political Rally, etc) someone is making money from a good day's work. Find out where this stuff is listed in your area.

Skidsteer
03-04-2008, 18:33
...A friend makes real money doing sleep studies. I think he's made like 3 grand over the last year with a total of about 30-40 hours, on different days and times.

Getting paid to sleep.

I think I'm qualified for that job.

Pony
03-04-2008, 18:38
Start a garden this spring. 89 cents for a packet of tomato seeds or a few bucks for a couple tomatoes. One packet of seeds will grow more tomatoes than you can eat. Do this with several different vegetables and then can the excess to eat during the winter. You will save hundreds of dollars over the long haul, plus working in the garden is kind of fun.
On the same note, I made a large pot of vegetable beef soup on Saturday for around $15. I have been eating off of it for four days. Yes I am getting sick of it, but I have only spent $15 for food this week. Also, when I get really sick of it I can freeze or can the rest of it.
When I think of ways to save up money the first thing I think of is reducing my current spending, which is why I have been eating the same soup for four days. As long as I have food and a place to sleep, things aren't that bad.

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 18:39
Medical studies. I did one and made $100 in 2-3 hours. A friend makes real money doing sleep studies. I think he's made like 3 grand over the last year with a total of about 30-40 hours, on different days and times.
It turns out it was more like two weeks of sleeping/notsleeping on command.

Skidsteer
03-04-2008, 18:44
It turns out it was more like two weeks of sleeping/notsleeping on command.

OK, so I'm half qualified.

Mr. Parkay
03-04-2008, 19:01
If you have any possessions, sell everything on ebay. All of your cd's, books, computer, mountain bike, x-box, car, comic book collection etc.

Nearly Normal
03-04-2008, 19:09
Join up.

Frosty
03-04-2008, 19:31
I can see someone being poor but still not wanting a handout, he never asked for money to be sent to him for free, he asked for ideas on how to make extra money to enjoy his chosen hobby. To jump to the idea that he’s only a post away from asking for a handout is kinda insulting. He was asking for ideas on how he can earn more money. The key thing is he asked is how we earn extra money to fund our hobby, this means he was willing to work for it but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Don’t imply that having little money means the guy is looking for a handout. After all how much money did all of you have when you were 20-years old and how knowledgeable were you about earning extra money at that age? Not that much I would guess. The fact that he’s asking how to make more money, and seems willing to work for it, and not for a handout says a lot about the guy.
At 14 I was smart enough to know that if I needed money in the short term, I needed to find someone to pay me to work. Encouraging a 20-year-old who is looking for unique ways (i.e., without working) to earn a quick buck may not be the best thing for him.

He needs a job. If he has a job and needs more money, he needs a second job.

One that pays. Working in the AMC huts may be fun, but it isn't a particularly good way to put aside a lot of money.

Gathering beer bottles, returnable cans, newspapers, and crap like that will barely allow one to subsist, never mind put any money in the bank.

This thread had all the information it needed by post #2. Sorry to be harsh, but all these I-have-no-money-how-can-I-get-enough-for-a-six-month-vacation-without-working are getting a little silly.

Sly
03-04-2008, 19:52
This thread had all the information it needed by post #2. Sorry to be harsh, but all these I-have-no-money-how-can-I-get-enough-for-a-six-month-vacation-without-working are getting a little silly.

Frosty, you're wrong, there have been several ideas on how to make a little extra cash without getting a second job. Most entail work, but Ebay, raking lawns, cleaning gutters or selling plasma (not much work there) will bring in extra cash.

Also, I knew a guy that made hundreds of $$'s a week picking up empty cans and bottles off the beach and out of dumpsters in MA, but he treated it as a full time job.

Blissful
03-04-2008, 19:52
Try having a garage sale. That's how I intend to fund part of my section this year.

I only make $100 on mine. :( But we will have one this year anyway, my hubby has all this fundraising product to get rid of.

Flush2wice
03-04-2008, 20:15
you could sell a kidney-
http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v1n2/kidneys.html

Flush2wice
03-04-2008, 20:18
If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you. But it's snot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egCeIwjIuZM

Wedge1173
03-04-2008, 20:27
I have heard that a panhandler in NYC can bring in $50,000 a year.

Not something I would do though.

Bob S
03-04-2008, 21:43

$50.000 WOW!

weary
03-04-2008, 22:04
....Working in the AMC huts may be fun, but it isn't a particularly good way to put aside a lot of money. ....
Nor is it an easy job to get. I understand that only a small percentage of applicants get hired. The competition is tough -- or used to be.

Weary

weary
03-04-2008, 22:06
$50.000 WOW!

It's my guess that $50,000 is total fiction, at least for most bums. I'm sure someone will come up with the exception.

Weary

vonfrick
03-04-2008, 22:56
sell ANYTHING you have and don't "need" on ebay or craigslist. after i came back from my first long hike, i had a whole new outlook on all these useless possessions i have collected over the years. you'll likely feel the same way, so why not get the money up front?

dessertrat
03-04-2008, 23:08
,This thread had all the information it needed by post #2. Sorry to be harsh, but all these I-have-no-money-how-can-I-get-enough-for-a-six-month-vacation-without-working are getting a little silly.

Thanks Frosty. That's what someone needs to tell these kids, in spades.

corialice81
03-04-2008, 23:24
Just for the record (and in defense of every "young kid on WB") I decided I was thru hiking the AT last August (when I got my Master's degree). Since August, I have taught chemistry labs at ASU, worked at a fish farm doing water chemistry, worked at a goat farm, and worked at the ASU bookstore. I got a separate bank account for my AT fund and I've tried to cut back on my spending. I have also sold items on ebay (esp. my kayaking gear). I've had since August 07 to get the money together. Now, with 6 weeks before my departure, I will have the amount of money I need.

It was my decision to do this thru hike and I did what it took to get me there even at such a "young" age.

dessertrat
03-04-2008, 23:42
Corialice, that's great. You did what it takes. You aren't looking for a handout or a shortcut. Unlike some other people around here. You are not, however, defending all of the young kids around here. Some of them are bums, pure and simple.

Critterman
03-04-2008, 23:49
................Since August, I have taught chemistry labs at ASU, worked at a fish farm .............. worked at a goat farm, and worked at the ASU bookstore.

You worked and earned the money. I think that is something to be proud of young or old.

corialice81
03-04-2008, 23:56
Working like crazy since August has NOT been fun at all, but I keep focusing on the prize. Originally, I was going to sell my truck to fund my trip but my parents and friends felt that was a poor decision especially if I could earn the money instead.

Maybe there are some lazy people out there BUT I just get tired of young hikers getting a bad rap because we don't know that much because we're so young or that we're irresponsible, lazy, free loaders, etc.

For example, this past weekend I had an individual tell me that I was starting too late to do a thru hike this year (april 19th). He acted as though I hadn't done the research or any planning. Just because I'm young and female does not automatically imply that I'm stupid especially when backpacking.

Anyways enough with my off topic soap box...yes, working a bilizion jobs, selling on ebay, and saving around the house has allowed me the opportunity to thru hike this year. It was tough but if I can handle this...bring on the pain of a thru hike!

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 00:09
Pretty radical suggestion even for you Mr. Wolf. :rolleyes:

radical? no. pretty ****ing truthful and straight forward

A-Train
03-05-2008, 00:13
Working like crazy since August has NOT been fun at all, but I keep focusing on the prize. Originally, I was going to sell my truck to fund my trip but my parents and friends felt that was a poor decision especially if I could earn the money instead.

Maybe there are some lazy people out there BUT I just get tired of young hikers getting a bad rap because we don't know that much because we're so young or that we're irresponsible, lazy, free loaders, etc.

For example, this past weekend I had an individual tell me that I was starting too late to do a thru hike this year (april 19th). He acted as though I hadn't done the research or any planning. Just because I'm young and female does not automatically imply that I'm stupid especially when backpacking.

Anyways enough with my off topic soap box...yes, working a bilizion jobs, selling on ebay, and saving around the house has allowed me the opportunity to thru hike this year. It was tough but if I can handle this...bring on the pain of a thru hike!

Sound like you've planned well. No need to defend others here. The guy already posted that he has a job, and was asking for other ADDITIONAL methods of income on top of it. Pretty plain and simple. Just a few old cranky curmudgeons having to get their 2 cents in for the day.

ATSeamstress
03-05-2008, 01:37
Start a garden this spring. 89 cents for a packet of tomato seeds or a few bucks for a couple tomatoes. One packet of seeds will grow more tomatoes than you can eat. Do this with several different vegetables and then can the excess to eat during the winter. You will save hundreds of dollars over the long haul, plus working in the garden is kind of fun.
On the same note, I made a large pot of vegetable beef soup on Saturday for around $15. I have been eating off of it for four days. Yes I am getting sick of it, but I have only spent $15 for food this week. Also, when I get really sick of it I can freeze or can the rest of it.
When I think of ways to save up money the first thing I think of is reducing my current spending, which is why I have been eating the same soup for four days. As long as I have food and a place to sleep, things aren't that bad.

Good suggestion! Then dehydrate some of the veggies and take them on the trail with you.

kayak karl
03-05-2008, 04:51
Sound like you've planned well. No need to defend others here. The guy already posted that he has a job, and was asking for other ADDITIONAL methods of income on top of it. Pretty plain and simple. Just a few old cranky curmudgeons having to get their 2 cents in for the day.
let me give you some hints; work for locals sat and sun, 50 and older, do any chores they want done, show up early (6am would be good), we get up early:). 9 am days half over. word will get around town you are a WORKER and dependable. the down side of this is they will be PISSED when you go on your thru:D

P.S. are u being paid to type:-?

fiddlehead
03-05-2008, 05:36
Wanna make some money? Buy some Thai baht with dollars. It goes up everyday. 10% in the 1st two months of this year already.

Also:sell balloons/kids toys/yoyo's with lights in em, at parades and festivals with kids
Or root beer.
also, put an ad in your local paper to do "no job too small" i used to do this and was amazed at how old people need help with things like hanging a picture or moving a china cabinet.

Use your imagination. I can think of dozens of ways, easily. wax cars, paint houses, have a yard sale, clean windows, busking, write articles for magazines, power wash houses/decks/sidewalks, nanny, babysit, do laundry for people, learn how to carve a pineapple artistically and sell fresh pieces, sell hot dogs on the street, or shaved ice with coolaid on top, deliver pizza, make and sell jewelry, frame pictures, sell anything on either ebay or the local flea market including ground up horseradish, chainsaw carvings, live pigeons, cd's, old tires you cleaned out of someone's garage that found you in the "no job to small" ad. Go to a car auction, wait till the end, buy a car, put it up for sale at the Wal-Mart parking lot. (you can make big money doing this one)

Harley Davidson people love eagle jewelry (or anything with an eagle on it) , find some charms and put them on an interesting necklace. They'll buy them! Along with things like "rice burners suck" stickers.
I've done all of these things already and many more. (i once sold rings made from the hair from the tail of an elephant as well as dream catchers to the indians in MT)
Our band got a $100 tip 2 nights ago for playing "anything by the Doors" (did Roadhouse blues and then spent $30 buying beers trying to decide how to split it up)

It can be fun making money. Just look around at what people spend their money on. It's crazy sometimes but they wouldn't buy stuff if people didn't sell it. This is a fun thread. It can be fun making money! Can you juggle? (partied last night with 4 people juggling their way around the world, they've been out 5 years now!)

Getting a real job that you are going to quit in a few weeks is not going to promote much goodwill in your name unless the employer knows it.

Did i really just waste an hour writing this? Someone was right about the fact that there is an awful lot of these threads lately. Gonna be an interesting year.

mudhead
03-05-2008, 08:43
Corialice81 makes me warm. And she has a truck.

Have fun on your tromp!

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 10:30
All of you who keep crapping on me for wanting to find different ways of making money seem to maybe have forgotten what its like to be a 20 year old, and also for the last time, I HAVE A JOB! I dont nessacarily have time for three jobs, I am going to school, and just because I have a job doesnt mean all my money goes into an account. Im 20 years old, I dont get jobs where I make a large sum of money, I load trucks for 8.00$ an hour. I have plenty of bills, including rent, car insurance, car loan, and school bills. I just recently took my car off the road to lighten my expenses, and ALL I ASKED FOR was some ideas on how to make money on the little spare time that I have. Im working as many hours as I can right now. The examples I gave "collecting cans" and "keeping spare change" should have been evidence enough as to what type of money making means I was implying. Little things that dont take a lot of time but over a long period can add up to a decent sum of cash. Im not asking you to feel bad for me and all you people that say I just keep posting "poor me" threads, if I were to post a thread about over obsessing about leight wieght hiking I dont think I'd be crapped on like I have. A lot of people are obsessive about light hiking, im not one of them. My obssesion is making sure I make enough money to hike this trail, based on my current financial status, and dont tell me that if im poor I shouldnt be able to enjoy the luxery of hiking the AT, are you serious!?. Some of you seem to think that if I dont have enough money to go into town all the time and eat in restaruants that I shouldnt hike and wait untill I have enough money, I think thats crap. My questions are questions that are important to me, nobody said they were important to you, and if you dont want to help me then just dont post anything but, please, stop stepping on my dream. All I wanted was some help.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 10:33
sounds like you need to wait a few years, save money before you try a thru-hike. i remember when i was 20. i was serving in the Marine Corps.

Critterman
03-05-2008, 10:36
All of you who keep crapping on me for wanting to find different ways of making money seem to maybe have forgotten what its like to be a 20 year old, and also for the last time, I HAVE A JOB! I dont nessacarily have time for three jobs, I am going to school, and just because I have a job doesnt mean all my money goes into an account. Im 20 years old, I dont get jobs where I make a large sum of money, I load trucks for 8.00$ an hour. I have plenty of bills, including rent, car insurance, car loan, and school bills. I just recently took my car off the road to lighten my expenses, and ALL I ASKED FOR was some ideas on how to make money on the little spare time that I have. Im working as many hours as I can right now. The examples I gave "collecting cans" and "keeping spare change" should have been evidence enough as to what type of money making means I was implying. Little things that dont take a lot of time but over a long period can add up to a decent sum of cash. Im not asking you to feel bad for me and all you people that say I just keep posting "poor me" threads, if I were to post a thread about over obsessing about leight wieght hiking I dont think I'd be crapped on like I have. A lot of people are obsessive about light hiking, im not one of them. My obssesion is making sure I make enough money to hike this trail, based on my current financial status, and dont tell me that if im poor I shouldnt be able to enjoy the luxery of hiking the AT, are you serious!?. Some of you seem to think that if I dont have enough money to go into town all the time and eat in restaruants that I shouldnt hike and wait untill I have enough money, I think thats crap. My questions are questions that are important to me, nobody said they were important to you, and if you dont want to help me then just dont post anything but, please, stop stepping on my dream. All I wanted was some help.

OK, take a deep breath hold it then let it out slowly.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 10:38
Im not waiting, I WILL thru-hike in 2009.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 10:40
you'll make an attempt. most never finish

cannonball
03-05-2008, 11:26
Well you could sell blood. It worked for me in college.

You could give lap dances, that did not work for me in college.

weary
03-05-2008, 12:14
Corialice, that's great. You did what it takes. You aren't looking for a handout or a shortcut. Unlike some other people around here. You are not, however, defending all of the young kids around here. Some of them are bums, pure and simple.
I'm not sure about all the "young kids around here," but I met incredibly diverse kinds of people on the trail in '93. None that I got to know after the first couple of weeks, struck me as bums.

There were a couple of alcoholics who blew all their money by Damascus and left. But by and large people were frugal, but honest and diligent about their hiking. Even the group of 20 year olds accompanied by a 17-year-old girl, who had 'lived on the streets" for two years.

Their gear was makeshift. Their clothes tattered. But a great group of kids.

Sly
03-05-2008, 12:21
Im not waiting, I WILL thru-hike in 2009.

Even if you're flat broke you have an entire year to save. It's not that hard.

Lilred
03-05-2008, 12:34

April 19th is fine for a start date. I just heard a presentation by Gene Espy and another guy who's name escapes me right now. I think Burson was the last name, Jim Burson, that's it. Anyhow, Gene was the second person to thru hike the trail and him and Jim are the last two folks alive that hiked in the 1950's. (14 thru hikes that decade) They both started their hikes in May and both finished in September. Jim took no zero's and Gene took six. It can be done. Good luck on your hike.

corialice81
03-05-2008, 14:11
I only had 8 months from the time I decided I was going to do the hike to actually hiking. During this time, I had student loan bills, personal loan bills, car insurance, credit cards, utilities, food, and gas for my truck, that were still expected to be paid. Granted I had just graduated so I wasn't going to school anymore, but my bills each month were close to $1,500 and I still was able to save.

I'm not trying to stomp your dreams instead, I'm encouraging you that with 12 months preparation, YOU CAN GET THE MONEY.

My advice...looking back...find some side things you could do that are interesting to you....on SAT and SUN, I work at a goat farm managing waste (LOL). The pay is $8/hr, but over the course of 8 months, it adds up. It's also FUN for me. So find something fun to do that you will stick with even when you start to get tired and feel like you'll never get the money.

Also, I got a roomie to help with the utilities and rent. Didn't mention in your post, but it could save some money albeit it may not be super comfy.

Also, I sold items on ebay (DVDs, CDs, Kayak, Kayak gear, etc.) to get some extra cash on the side.

What I'm saying is that if this is something you really want to do, then, YOU'LL DO IT. Getting money for my thru has become my #1 priority right now, so much that I have bascially had no life since August. BUT I chose that and it is completely worth it IMO.

So, CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR JOURNAL NEXT YEAR!!!!!
:banana

Sly
03-05-2008, 14:17
What I'm saying is that if this is something you really want to do, then, YOU'LL DO IT. Getting money for my thru has become my #1 priority right now, so much that I have bascially had no life since August. BUT I chose that and it is completely worth it IMO.

That's exactly how you should look at it. Best of luck on your hike!

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 14:18
I know i'll make enough money for the way I want to hike, thats not realy an issue, but somehow it got twisted around that I "needed" all these different ideas of making money, if you check my original post, all I was doing was asking whiteblazers some of the interesting ways they made money for there trip. I.E. selling metal to dumps, selling on ebay, collecting cans, shoveling poop(haha), giving blood etc etc. Dont know how it happened but everybody thought I was begging for ways to make money, oh well.

Darryl G
03-08-2008, 18:01
Oh, I forgot a big one:

If you smoke tobacco, drink liquor, or smoke pot, try to cut your use in half. You'll be amazed at the savings.

Cut back on weed, too, or better yet, give it up.

Jack - May i remind you of the user agreement for this site:

"Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden."

I really don't understand why you are tollerated on this site, as you clearly seem to have no regard for what is appropriate internet conduct.

Foyt20
03-08-2008, 18:25

"Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden."

I really don't understand why you are tollerated on this site, as you clearly seem to have no regard for what is appropriate internet conduct.

Wow... rules police coming through. He stated at the end of the post that they should stop smoking. I dont see why his conduct is unbecoming an internet user. Relax, enjoy the day.

:rolleyes:

Darryl G
03-08-2008, 18:35
I am not the rules police or am I in anyway an official of this site. However I think that it would be a better site if we all followed the rules. I believe his post clearly violates the user agreement here and I'm sure i could quickly find another dozen or two that do. Abrasive personalities who repeatly personally attack individuals and whose posts go beyond reasonable bounds detract from the spirit of sites such as these, IMHO. Sometimes all it takes is pointing out to someone that their conduct is inappropriate. Some people you just can't get thru to.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get this post off topic so I'll shut up now, as I may be breaking the rules myself discussing this. :)

quasarr
03-08-2008, 21:29
It's already been said, but a job or odd jobs will make you way more money than collecting cans. You said you don't have time for another job, why not do some yard or house work just a few hours a week? People will usually pay $10/hr or more for these type of jobs. If you do a good job for one person, you can use them as a reference to find more jobs.

As a guy you're probably better off looking for manual labor. I'm a female so people like me to do stuff like cleaning and babysitting. What can I say, I think the rules are silly but it's easier to get hired if you follow them!

And since you're a college student you can probably find work tutoring grade school kids. This is big bucks! You can get away with charging $20/hr or more, especially if you're majoring in something technical. For some reason, people think an engineering major makes you more capable of teaching middle school science. :-?

I'm in college, with a part time job and tutoring and cleaning on the side to make extra cash. I'm still on my parents health insurance, but other than that I pay my own expenses. Every month I have enough to pay bills, put some in savings, and spend the rest on adult beverages. :banana

stranger
03-08-2008, 23:31
I work hard and saved my a$$ off, I gave up alot of things in order to save for this years hike, and that's the reason I have the amount of money that I do - it's pretty simple, but I won't be debating whether or not to spend $75 on a hotel or $150 on a new piece of gear, cause I will have enough money to do both because I worked hard and was disciplined.

the goat
03-08-2008, 23:56

hey darryl, jack mentioned weed in the context of "giving it up".

perhaps you should take it up, to ease your anxiety a bit.

lighten up, man!

Bob S
03-09-2008, 00:16
Summer time (Cut Grass)

Winter time (Shovel snow)

Take a walk through any neighborhood and knock on some doors.

Sleepy the Arab
03-09-2008, 02:33
Well you could sell blood...

Try selling plasma. You can do it more frequently. Also, look into making deposits at a sperm bank.

I'm not joking. Bear in mind it is harder to get in (snicker) at the bank as the criteria is fairly strict.

Catnip
03-09-2008, 05:50
Also let family and friends who might give you birthday or Christmas presents know of your thru hike plans, and ask for money instead of presents. Or make a specific gear wish list for them.

Good luck to you!

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2008, 14:07
Um, note to Darryl:

Can you read?

In my above post, I suggested that people cut back on their use of pot or better yet, quit using it altogether.

And from this you somehow construe that I'm breaking website rules by encouraging drug use or giving advice on how people can break the law.

Give it a rest, Darryl, OK? I understand you're all pissed off at me because I criticized you on another thread (in regard to your lousy advice when you told folks they didn't need to carry maps), but just cuz you're pissed over something I said to you on another thread is no reason for you to get so silly on this one.

One minute you're whining about how "abrasive" I am......and then you comment that I'm breaking website rules by encouraging drug use??

Um, THAT's kind of abrasive, dontcha think?

In any case, son, lighten up.

Unless you enjoy looking foolish, which is all that you've been doing lately.

Jim Adams
03-09-2008, 14:19
Some people you just can't get thru to.

:)

Well, one thing that you said was appropriate........get a life man!:rolleyes:

geek

Phoenix Rising
03-09-2008, 15:01
I made my decision to hike just after my 29th birthday with about 12K in debt and knew I needed to make some major changes for my hike to happen by so that I could be on the Big K for my 33 birthday and I promptly went to my local library to find a book on how to get out of debt… the one idea that I still remember and practice to this day? “If it is alive, it costs money.” I admit I never gave up my cat, but as each plant died, it never got replaced, and the same went for the fish tank. While saving for my hike I also took 2 major international trips (out of country for over 30 days)… the airfare on one cost me about 2K alone… my co-workers never understood how I could manage it… I would always tell them, I don’t believe in the 3 C’s. Cell phones, Computers with internet and Cable… As Americans we have been lead to believe we will not survive without these things… I promise you will survive! Your local library has computers with internet; making TV watching a special event by doing at friends house is a lot of fun (we would make it a pot-luck – make something to bring… it’s less expensive then buying it pre-made!) And although it is nice to have a cell phone when you are trying to meet up with friends, we lived with out them for YEARS. Just by cutting out the 3 C’s, I was able to save about $165 a month… over a year that bought my ticket to Africa, but it could also be a lot of new gear.

Darryl G
03-10-2008, 01:53
Read the rules Jack, it's not that hard. "Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden."
Ummmm...if you weren't discussing the use of drugs then I apologize. And I have never advised against using maps....I said I consider them optional for most sections of the AT....take a reading comprehension course dude or get your head out of your tail, but stop taking personal shots at everyone, it's downright unfriendly.

Darryl G
03-10-2008, 01:55
Well, one thing that you said was appropriate........get a life man!:rolleyes:

geek

Thank you for your support :)

ScottP
03-10-2008, 04:34
If you work for a moving company sometimes they'll let you skip your lunch break and get paid for that time. Tell your boss that you'd like more hours.

Read my article about hiking cheaply(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=556823#post556823).

Buy used gear. Sublet your apartment and pay a friend a little extra cash to sleep on his couch for a few months.

Make more food from scratch. If you're a good student, hire yourself out editing papers.

corialice81
03-12-2008, 16:53
I just thought of this this morning....
once you have saved say $500-600, you could put that money in a CD for 6 months and it will gain interest and prevent you from spending that money.

88BlueGT
03-13-2008, 23:01
^^^ Thats a good idea. Sounds retarted and its not really alot but I have been saving aluminum. Just saving been cans from the garage and other misc things. Also, I throw all of my ones into a jar along with my change. Just never spend your one dollar bills and throw them into a jar. Sometimes I would throw a 5 in there, sometimes a ten or twenty. Most days I averages a few bucks a day into the car. It was working well for me and I got like $600 saved in no time but I started dipping into it and now its all gone :(

JAK
03-13-2008, 23:07
If you want to try a more frugal hike, you could save up for it by buying groceries and managing your budget and perhaps commuting you would while on your frugal hike. Not so good for those that don't want to be frugal while hiking. LOL.

Yahtzee
03-14-2008, 07:50
Work until the day you leave. Getting a full paycheck while hiking is great. I always count on my last two paychecks as a HUGE part of my money. Assume I clear $300/wk (that's not too high or low, I think) and get paid every other week. I leave for Springer on Sat. morn after receiving my last $600 paycheck on Friday. Assuming I have my bills in order (which I always do), That is 1/5 of my hiking money right there. Then, add the $600 that I will get in two weeks. That's $1200 w/out saving a thing.

Plus, do not forget about your tax check. You could be almost up to 2K without even considering what you save between now and Springer.