PDA

View Full Version : SNP permit?

bredler
03-04-2008, 18:41
So sometime next week I'm going to do a three day, two night hike in SNP. Do I really need a backcountry hiking permit?

Foyt20
03-04-2008, 18:44
Yes? :-?

zoidfu
03-04-2008, 18:46
Yup. I actually had a ranger check ours when I was there a month ago.

Pedaling Fool
03-04-2008, 18:51
It's very easy to get one and It'll save you a lot of trouble if they do check. I've never seen a ranger in the woods, but I did have a ranger in SNP check for my permit while taking a break at Panorama.

Appalachian Tater
03-04-2008, 18:51
It's no big deal, just make sure to secure it to your pack well so you don't lose it.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm

dmax
03-04-2008, 18:54
i'm taking my son, in july, from fontana to davenport gap. can i just fill out the section hiking/thru hiking form at the holiday inn?

bredler
03-04-2008, 19:15
It's very easy to get one and It'll save you a lot of trouble if they do check. I've never seen a ranger in the woods, but I did have a ranger in SNP check for my permit while taking a break at Panorama.

Good call

buff_jeff
03-04-2008, 20:14
You get this permit at the entrance to the park, right?

Rain Man
03-04-2008, 20:56
Help me understand .... why would you NOT want a permit?

Rain:sunMan

Alligator
03-04-2008, 21:00
It's very easy to get one and It'll save you a lot of trouble if they do check. I've never seen a ranger in the woods, but I did have a ranger in SNP check for my permit while taking a break at Panorama.I have. I saw two rangers check a BS scout troop at the shelter and they didn't have a permit. I'm not sure if they got a fine or not.

bredler
03-04-2008, 21:34
Help me understand .... why would you NOT want a permit?

Yeah yeah yeah...safety...legality...it's a good idea, I was just feeling lazy at the time of first post. Shouldn't be tough to get to a station, then hike.

Also, does anyone know how safe it is to leave a car at Panorama restaurant/parking lot on skyline drive for a couple days?

Darwin again
03-05-2008, 00:13
Get your permits at the entrance stations. NOBO on the AT, there's a self-service kiosk with permits and a drop box about a ten minute walk from Rockfish Gap. Fill out the tag and atach it to yourself like a piece of meat. File the carbon copy in the drop slot.

Dunno about SOBO. Ditto on the kiosk?

Rain Man
03-05-2008, 00:21
Yeah yeah yeah...safety...legality...it's a good idea, I was just feeling lazy at the time of first post. Shouldn't be tough to get to a station, then hike.

True, but you don't even have to do that. Just call them and they mail you the permit. That's what I did. I think they can even fax it, but I'm not sure.

Have a great hike!