PDA

View Full Version : Something Strange (serious illness) Happened on the Way Home From the Rockies Ruck

Pages : [1] 2

Footslogger
03-04-2008, 19:46
I had a heart attack ...REALLY - - and a major one !!

I'm out of danger now at a hospital in Denver but if a few things hadn't gone my way it might have been then end for the old Footlsogger.

We said our goodbyes and drove out of Leadville headed for Laramie. I wasn't feel particularly well but thought I had just overdid it the night before.

As we passed through Kremmling on Rt 40 the sheit hit the fan. At first we drove through town but then I realized that I needed medical attention. So, we backtracked to Kremmling and checked into the little emergency room. A quick EKG confirmed that I was in cardiac crisis and calls started going out. First thought was LifefFlight but the planes were all grounded due to weather. So, my only other choice was a 3+ hour ambulance ride into Denver where I could be evaluated by a Cardiologist. I almost crashed 2 more times while enroute but somehow hung on. Once at the hospital I was taken directly to the cardiac cath room and prepped for an exam of my heart. Turned out that one of my coronary arteries was 100% obstructed. So, the procedure changed from a diagnostic study to a life saving interventional procedure.

That's about it in a nutshell. Sunday and Monday were pretty much a blurr but the Cardiologist wanted me to sit up today to help drain the fluid from my lungs. Thought that was a good opportunity to check in breifly and let everyone know why they hadn't heard from me after the Ruck ...which, by the way, despite my current situation, was a blast.

I will be in ICU for a couple more days and might be able to resume travels back to Laramie by the weekend??

Will keep you all posted !!

'Slogger

Blissful
03-04-2008, 19:50
Wow Footslogger, I am so sorry!!! Praying you get better very soon.

Skidsteer
03-04-2008, 19:52
Damn.

Best wishes for a quick recovery 'Slogger. Take care of yourself man.

doggiebag
03-04-2008, 19:53
Glad to hear your ok. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Regards. :)

A-Train
03-04-2008, 19:54
Slogger-

My thoughts and prayers are with you and BAT. Here's to a speedy recovery. Let me know if you need anything.

Thank God you're OK!

peanuts
03-04-2008, 19:57
slogger, thank god you are alright. someone was watching over you!
i hope your better have is doing well as well.
my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!

NICKTHEGREEK
03-04-2008, 20:01
Glad to see that rather than reading an obituary. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2008, 20:01
::: Dino seen weeping, curling a loving tail around 'Slogger and BA Turtle while thanking God 'Slogger was close enough to medical care :::

Chaco Taco
03-04-2008, 20:02
Hey, you got lottsa blessings floating your way man from NC. Get better Slogger!

mudhead
03-04-2008, 20:04
Glad you are kicking. Probably good you stopped at the H when you did. Seem to remember a lot of not much after Kremlinville.

Remind me not to go to any rucks...

Some people will do anything to lose weight.

Sly
03-04-2008, 20:06
Holy Cow. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Midway Sam
03-04-2008, 20:06
You are a lucky, LUCKY man. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Montego
03-04-2008, 20:11
Hey slogger, my hopes and prayers go out to you for a full and quick recovery. Also to BAT that she is granted internal strength in your hour of need.

You'll be back out looking for Jackolopes in no time (remember, they love JD and balogna) :D

woodsy
03-04-2008, 20:12
I heard those Rockies rucks are exciting but geez Slogger.
Way to bounce back and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
As the old saying goes...hard to keep a good man down!

Wilson
03-04-2008, 20:15
Prayers, Get well soon.

Jan LiteShoe
03-04-2008, 20:18
Yikes, Toots! Scary! We don't want to lose you!
How lucky you were near enough medical help.

Clyde had a major heart attack nine years ago and thanks to the quick and alert action of his wife, he survived, and went on to recover well enough to hike the Long Trail.

Major love for you and B.A. Turtle. Write when you can.

Hooch
03-04-2008, 20:18
Sorry to hear what happened, but glad that the cardiologists were able to intervene in time, 'Slogger. Which artery was occluded? Hope you're out of ICU and on the mend soon. Enjoy the bed baths while they last. :rolleyes: Keep us posted!

dixicritter
03-04-2008, 20:23
Holy Cow Slogger!! Don't you know that's not allowed!! Glad to hear you are on the mend! All my best to you and BAT!

take-a-knee
03-04-2008, 20:27
Slogger, I will pray for your complete and speed recovery, keep us posted when you feel like it.

Ghosthiker
03-04-2008, 20:28
"Slogger, glad to hear you are feeling better. I had mine last May and ended up getting a quad bypass. You'll ride the emotional roller-coaster for a while, and you'll probably wonder if you ever will feel good and strong, again. But, as everyone told me (and it turned out to be true), you'll actually end up feeling better than you did before. I was back out day-hiking in September and have been on a couple of over-nighters. Getting ready to spend about 4 or 5 days on the trail in April. Hang in there (you are obviously a fighter, already), do your rehab and you'll be back at it in a short. You'll probably find some good support, but if you ever need to talk with someone who has "been there and done that", let me know.

Foyt20
03-04-2008, 20:30
glad for you feeling better :D Well Wishes!!

Two Speed
03-04-2008, 20:30
Yikes, that was close. Don't push the envelope quite so much, willya?

Alligator
03-04-2008, 20:48
Hey 'Slogger hang in there. Hope you're back on your feet ASAP.

Phreak
03-04-2008, 20:57
Sorry to hear this! I hope you get better soon!

little bear
03-04-2008, 21:02
hey slogger, you will be in my prayers. hope you continue to get better.

bigcranky
03-04-2008, 21:11
Wow, man, get better and back on the trail soon.

Survivor Dave
03-04-2008, 21:12
Sloggs........

Man..........I know you won't let a little cardiac hiccup keep you grounded. Take a couple of aspirin and a salt tablet and you'll be fine. Don't let them talk you into the hospital aspirin at $8 a piece!:eek:
Make sure BadAssTurtle keeps you posted on all the hiking happenings. To hell with that. Go to the nurses station and get online. Tell them it's "Cardio Therapy" Nothing like that to lift the spirits.

I hope you get back out and start hiking like hell!

To the worlds greatest Wyoming fan.....The very best for a speedy recovery.

Dave

Hutch
03-04-2008, 21:46
Footslogger,

Hang in there !!! Do what you gotta do !!! Get back to the Trail,
Prayers coming your way !!!

Hutch

Froggy
03-04-2008, 21:51
Good thing you turned around!

Best wishes for a full, rapid recovery.

Froggy

Egads
03-04-2008, 22:14
Wow Slogger,

It's a good thing you sought medical attention when you did. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

Egads

Mags
03-04-2008, 23:08
Holy sh**! Glad you are OK my friend. :O

I was going to type up a trip report....but damn, what lengths you went to make for an exciting Ruck. :)

Be well my friend.

wilconow
03-04-2008, 23:13
I always enjoy your insightful posts here. Best wishes

FeO2
03-04-2008, 23:20
Holy Smokes Slogger :eek:

Get well soon...

(I think I might want to experience a Ruck some day) :D

Grandma
03-04-2008, 23:28
Get better Slogger!

Now you have an excuse to hike more....it's good for the heart.

Trail Yeti
03-05-2008, 00:07
Slogger, wishing you a speedy recovery and sending good thoughts your way.

Roots
03-05-2008, 00:11
WOW...I am so sorry this happened. I'm just glad you are doing better. We'll be thinking about you. Take it easy and keep us updated. :)

TOW
03-05-2008, 07:21
Slogger, it is so cool that you got on here and let us know of your situation. We are family and it is important that we know about the ills and concerns of each other. I am praying now as I write this that your recovery will be quick and full, may the Lord send His healing angels to surround you and show His merciful love.

A couple of years ago when I first became ill Lone Wolf started a thread on here about me being in the hospital and let me tell you something that thread help keep me going. The well wishes and the support of the Whiteblaze community help rejuvinate my will to live.

Keep us updated and keep on talking.............

rickb
03-05-2008, 07:34
My thoughts are with you, 'Slogger. Please get well and back out in the woods soon.

RickB

StarLyte
03-05-2008, 07:42
Slog...

Wish you weren't so far, I'd visit you.

What an experience that must have been for you.

Know that you are loved...I think this thread reveals that.

BAT - take care of him until we see you both again. I sure hope you're going to be okay.

Funny, but I keep learning the same thing every day: NEVER ASSUME

camojack
03-05-2008, 08:19
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Heater
03-05-2008, 08:21
Hope you get feeling better soon and are back out there by Summer.

Best wishes,
.................Austexs.

BackTrack1
03-05-2008, 08:28
Hey footslogger,
Glad to hear you made it through that, hope you feel better soon so you can get back out on the trail.
Take care. and happy trails no matter where they may take you!!!

ed bell
03-05-2008, 08:48
Hang in there 'Slogger. I know you had been making some adjustments to your eating habits to work on your cholesterol and made some great improvements. That means you already have that hurdle knocked out. I'm glad they got you to the right place in time. Me and my wife (AT '03) wish you a speedy recovery. God bless you.

BR360
03-05-2008, 08:55
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Hope you get back out in the fresh air and sunshine soon!

D'Artagnan
03-05-2008, 09:08
Glad to hear you're on the mend and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. You know, a weaker man might have perished. All that hiking probably didn't hurt your chances of survival. Here's hoping you're up and out real soon!

Jan LiteShoe
03-05-2008, 09:12
Glad to hear you're on the mend and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. You know, a weaker man might have perished. All that hiking probably didn't hurt your chances of survival. Here's hoping you're up and out real soon!

That hadn't occurred to de D'Artagnan, but you're probably right. He's a tough old bird. :)

Slogger, when you're back on the 'puter and you feel up to writing, do you mind talking about early symptoms/warning signs you felt/observed?

StarLyte
03-05-2008, 09:17
Same here Jan - I'm so glad he made it to a medical facility.

I am deeply concerned 'Slog.

Jan LiteShoe
03-05-2008, 09:24
Same here Jan - I'm so glad he made it to a medical facility.

I am deeply concerned 'Slog.

Okay, Starlyte - road trip?
An "angel of mercy" thing, of course.
Let's go!
:sun

the goat
03-05-2008, 09:30
great news that you're alright now, that's some scary sheit!

Thoughtful Owl
03-05-2008, 10:15
Slogger, my thoughts and prayers are with you and BAT. I know is was a bit scary for BAT. Glad to hear you are doing much better and hope you are out of the hospital and on your way back to Laramie soon.

DAKS
03-05-2008, 10:20
get well slogger! take care and hang in there!

leeki pole
03-05-2008, 10:38
prayers and good wishes to you, 'slogger...get well soon! thank goodness it turned out all right!

slow
03-05-2008, 10:48
Glad your O.K.Best of luck to you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2008, 10:55
::: Dino peeks into curled tail and sees 'Slogger peacefully sleeping and a relieved BAT at his side :::

Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.

hacksaw
03-05-2008, 11:09
Welcome to the club! (Heart attack survivors) I had mine in '05.

SERIOUS best wishes for a speedy recovery, and soooo happy to hear things are improving.

The Old Fhart
03-05-2008, 13:00
WOW, just noticed this thread. Really hope you make a complete recovery and end up healthier than before.

T-Dubs
03-05-2008, 13:12
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope things go well and you're back on your feet soon.

Tom

ASUGrad
03-05-2008, 14:09
And such a young man too. Good luck.

ed bell
03-05-2008, 14:19
WOW, just noticed this thread. Really hope you make a complete recovery and end up healthier than before.I think many are missing this thread because a key detail was held back in the thread title.

Survivor Dave
03-05-2008, 14:23
Well, I know the fingers work, as I got a text message from 'Slogger a while ago. He is in good spirits and sends his best and thanks for the support.

Gee, since his fingers work, I wonder if he is pinching the cute girl nurses? Ooops, sorry BAT!:eek::eek:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/shocked016.gif

SD

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2008, 14:27
I think many are missing this thread because a key detail was held back in the thread title.I've fixed the thread title to be sure people will see it.

SD, thanks for letting us know that he is texting - a great sign :D

squeeze
03-05-2008, 14:28
Here's to a speedy recovery!!! I'm sure you'll be on the trail in no time.

Ender
03-05-2008, 14:38
Holy crap dude... here's to hoping to have a fast and complete recovery!

Best wishes!

Pennsylvania Rose
03-05-2008, 15:02
Glad you were able to make it to the hospital quickly...hope you have a quick recovery (and take your meds, even if you hate to).

baddog
03-05-2008, 15:11
I'm very glad that you were able to get the aid needed to save your life. I recently lost a friend, lady in her early 40s. Unfortunately she had experienced some previous pains and ignored them. Left her husband and 2 kids. It just makes me hope that your experience might encourage others here on WB to get checked out. God Bless.

envirodiver
03-05-2008, 15:30
It's fortunate that you knew the warning signs and paid attention to them. Great that you are on the mend and soon to be back out there.

I had a stress test prior to my last multi-week hike. Not concerned, but just to make sure.

No Belay
03-05-2008, 15:47
Great to see you' re on the mend. How's your beard? Best wishes for a speed recovery and try not to get on BAT's nerves to bad during the re-hab. ;)

Grampie
03-05-2008, 16:00
Slogger..Sorry to hear..but glad you are on the mend. Someone must have been looking after you. Hang in BAT I know he will pull through this O.K.
Happy trails.

zoidfu
03-05-2008, 16:06
You can't go yet. There's still thousands of miles of trails to do.

Jaybird62
03-05-2008, 16:18
Best wishes and blessings to you 'Slogger and your family. I am so glad to hear that you are okay man.

Tinker
03-05-2008, 19:14
Take care, 'Slogger. You're in my prayers.

cowboy nichols
03-05-2008, 20:41
May God Bless you.

Footslogger
03-05-2008, 20:48
Sorry been so long since initial message but between fading in/out all day and being poked/prodded otherwise the time disappears. Sometimes feel like time is standing still and other times feels like this is going on forever.

Questions about symptoms ...other than the extreme tightness in chest, shortness of breath there really weren't any. Slipped up on me without warning. I just knew this wasn't some gas that was going away.

Latest ...still in ICU. Today started OK but then my blood pressure tanked from the mix of meds being given to get fluid out of my lungs and regulate O2 sat, pluse, PB and resp rate. Slipped into respiratoy crisis for a while but stabilzed now.

BadAss Turtle is at my side. No indication yet about step down from ICU or discharge. Gonna take a while to get back from this one.

Down but not out !!

Thanks for all concern and kind words ...

'Slogger

Sailor (The other one)
03-05-2008, 20:57
Hang in Slogger. New folks like me need you. You're in my prayers.

ed bell
03-05-2008, 21:03
I know you have plenty here who love you 'Slogger. I'm pulling for you in my prayers. Glad you have the positive energy of BAT there at your side. Stay strong and we'll keep the positive waves directed your way.:sun

yappy
03-05-2008, 21:46
Yikes ! brings stuff into prspective doesn't it.... speedy recovery and back on the trails..:)

brotheral
03-05-2008, 22:45
I'll be praying for your recovery !!
BrotherAl :D

rcli4
03-05-2008, 23:04
Footslogger
I don't know ya but we have some mutual friends. My heart stopped Jan. 5, 1997. My only advice is to look that women that is there with you, straight in the eye, kiss her full on the lips, and say thank you, like you have never said it before. She has been through a lot.

Clyde

Oh, and get well soon :>))

River Runner
03-05-2008, 23:32
Wow Footslogger, sorry to hear about your illness. Best of wishes for a full recovery.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2008, 23:34
::: Dino redoubles prayer efforts and curls tail tightly around BAT for support :::

slow
03-06-2008, 00:26
Wont be long till your walking the tread for stress test..and thinking it's a light snack to hiking,Now let me out of here.

Grampie
03-06-2008, 10:21
After thinking about what happened to you, just think of all the places you have been while hiking that if this happened you would be a goner.
Like I said before: "Someone is watching over you.":sun

Two Speed
03-06-2008, 11:55
Down but not out !!We're counting on you to keep your word, there fella.

SawnieRobertson
03-06-2008, 13:37
Footslogger, I'm very glad that you listened to your body instead of going the way of the late greats who chose denial. It's pretty incredible that the little town of Kremling had such well-trained emergency medical care available. I guess we can say "Thanks to the 21st Century" about that. For you to have successfully endured that ride to Denver is a great indicator of your inner strength and fortitude. It would have scared me. Your posts from the RUCK of the ROCKIES certainly related a good time, I hope enough to keep you content for a few weeks at least. We've never actually met even though I used to be your "neighbor" at Estes Park, and we've been at the same hiker events at times. I'm not going to let that happen again. Yep. Please set making it to Trail Days this year as one of your goals. If that's asking too much, then the Gathering will do. And for you, BAT, I'm sure that a prime reason Footslogger is getting well is You.
Make sure he acts on the orders in Clyde's post.--Kinnickinic

Footslogger
03-06-2008, 13:45
OK ...a couple minutes between needle sticks and stethoscope prodding so will try to provide a little update. Someone asked which artery was affected - - was the Left Anterior Descending (LAD) branch of the left common coronary -- it is sometimes called the "widow maker" in cardiology. Probably 2 more days in ICU. Pulmonary edema is persisting so extreme shortness of breath and very difficult to begin regulating cardiac drug without causing my blood pressure to drop dangerously low - - which is what happened yesterday. Better appetite today and first BM (I know ...TMI -- but it's the little things that count at this point.

According to Cardiologist prolly 3 - 4 more days in hospital and then home to begin rehab program.

Will be a long road back ...but not as long as the AT !!

'Slogger

grizzlyadam
03-06-2008, 13:57
hey footslogger...

i'm praying that you have a quick and safe recovery.

who knew that the thriving metropolis of kremmling even had a medical center.....

i'm just up the road in broomfield, so give a shout if you need anything.

bfitz
03-06-2008, 14:05
wow, Im stunned. What have you been eating?!? Get well, brother.

Alligator
03-06-2008, 14:15
'Slogger, maybe we could send you a yard of dirt and an orange trowel to make you feel more comfortable:D?

Sly
03-06-2008, 14:17

If all goes well, is there any chance you'll still be able to hike the PCT next year? I know that would be my first question. ;)

Don H
03-06-2008, 14:50
WOW, 100% blockage of the Left Anterior Descending (LAD) and you're already up and posting, you are one tough cookie! The many prayers from your friends help too. Keep us posted and get well soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery.

jhick
03-06-2008, 15:07
Hang in there Slogger, you tough old Paratrooper!!!!

Jan LiteShoe
03-06-2008, 17:46
Better appetite today and first BM (I know ...TMI -- but it's the little things that count at this point.

Good "going" there, big boy!
LOL.
:D

First kidney stones in the Whites, now this.
Is it mountains that are the problem? ;)

Bad Ass Turtle
03-06-2008, 18:13
Hi all. Thanks so much for your support in this forum. I had to forcibly pry the computer out of Footslogger's hands this afternoon, but he's now sleeping comfortably, which I think is what he needs right now. We're both hanging in there, after a scary couple of days.

I'll tell you what, I don't EVERY want to have another day like the day he was taken to Denver in that ambulance. Crazy snowstorm, winding country roads, worrying about him and about my car having transmission problems as I followed the ambulance . . . it's enough to make a girl cry.

I do believe he's on the mend now, but it's going to be a long, slow road to recovery. Your thoughts, wishes, and prayers are great helps.

Bad Ass Turtle

Micky
03-06-2008, 18:19
My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I hope you have a speedy recovery

Mags
03-06-2008, 18:21
When Footslogger gets out of ICU, I'll have to make a trip to Denver and pay him a visit.

I am away this weekend...hopefully he'll be on his way home to Laramie before I return!

Jan LiteShoe
03-06-2008, 18:25
Hi all. Thanks so much for your support in this forum. I had to forcibly pry the computer out of Footslogger's hands this afternoon, but he's now sleeping comfortably, which I think is what he needs right now. We're both hanging in there, after a scary couple of days.

I'll tell you what, I don't EVERY want to have another day like the day he was taken to Denver in that ambulance. Crazy snowstorm, winding country roads, worrying about him and about my car having transmission problems as I followed the ambulance . . . it's enough to make a girl cry.

I do believe he's on the mend now, but it's going to be a long, slow road to recovery. Your thoughts, wishes, and prayers are great helps.

Bad Ass Turtle

Hi BAT,
A large hug for you and you alone.
You too have been through a lot.

Did 'slogger take Clyde's advice? To thank you and all?
:)

dixicritter
03-06-2008, 18:26

Bad Ass Turtle

BAT, Glad to hear 'Slogger is finally getting some much needed sleep. Take care of yourself too! Y'all are in our prayers! :)

Sly
03-06-2008, 18:34
((((bat))))

Bad Ass Turtle
03-06-2008, 18:45
hey footslogger...

i'm praying that you have a quick and safe recovery.

who knew that the thriving metropolis of kremmling even had a medical center.....

i'm just up the road in broomfield, so give a shout if you need anything.

I thought I'd let you know how this happened . . . as we were driving through Kremmling (I was driving, which was another great stroke of luck or something like it), I happened to notice one of those big blue H signs on the side of the road. The only reason I paid special attention to it was because it was right next to a sign for a library (one of my favorite places in the world to be!).

So about ten minutes out of Kremmling, when Slogger was complaining about shortness of breath, I asked him if he thought he was having a heart attack. He didn't answer, but when I then asked if he thought we should turn around and go back to the hospital in Kremmling, he said "yes."

I thought "Oh ****! That means we should have turned around 15 minutes ago!" The nurses and doctor at Kremmling, the EMTs in the ambulance were fabulous. The EMTs kept me informed of his condition as we were driving in to Denver, calling me on my cell phone. At one point, they used their lights and siren to go around a snow plow, which left me stuck behind . . . they called to let me know that there was no change in his condition, that they were just trying to move as quickly as possible.

So now we're in this thing. Again, we do appreciate your good wishes.

Bad Ass Turtle

Bad Ass Turtle
03-06-2008, 18:47
Hi BAT,
A large hug for you and you alone.
You too have been through a lot.

Did 'slogger take Clyde's advice? To thank you and all?

Oh, yes. We're partners, after all.

Hooch
03-06-2008, 19:04
OK ...a couple minutes between needle sticks and stethoscope prodding so will try to provide a little update. Someone asked which artery was affected - - was the Left Anterior Descending (LAD) branch of the left common coronary -- it is sometimes called the "widow maker" in cardiology. Probably 2 more days in ICU. Pulmonary edema is persisting so extreme shortness of breath and very difficult to begin regulating cardiac drug without causing my blood pressure to drop dangerously low - - which is what happened yesterday. Better appetite today and first BM (I know ...TMI -- but it's the little things that count at this point.

According to Cardiologist prolly 3 - 4 more days in hospital and then home to begin rehab program.

'SloggerComing from a nurse with some background in cardiac care, you are meant to be here for some reason if you survived a widow-maker. I'm sure you know that most people don't. Glad you're doing better, 'Slogger. You and BAT hang in there, take it easy and go slow ith the recovery. BTW, big thumbs up for the bowel movement! Way to go potty! :D

Bad Ass Turtle
03-06-2008, 19:10
To all of our friends at the White Blaze Community, thanks so much for the balloons. They were delivered today, and make for a bright spot in the room.

Bad Ass Turtle

Trail Trooper
03-06-2008, 19:46
Slogger glad to hear your ailve. Fish oil and flax seeds will help your ticker keep ticking

ezdoesit
03-06-2008, 19:57
:(slogger you hang in there man and please stop carrying a heavy pack:eek:
Hey I love you man and wish you all the best please recover and take it easy.

Your friend:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-06-2008, 20:45
::: Dino peeks into tail and sees 'Slogger and Bat playing tuck-a-war with the laptop :D :::

Hang in there 'Slogger and BAT. I know you are both tired and more than a little scared. Glad the balloons are helping brighten up the ICU. Know those are pretty drab. There is a lot of love coming your way and prayers being said for you both.

Bluebearee
03-06-2008, 23:05
Holy crap, here's hoping for a slow and steady recovery 'Slogger. Btw, sorry to have missed you in Maine last year. Thanks for keeping everyone updated. And Happy Anniversary on your start date, you were a Pack 31er in 2003 right?

BB

STEVEM
03-06-2008, 23:34
Footslogger, I've had high BP my entire life and about five years ago had a TIA (mini stroke), scared the crap outta me. What makes my situation even dumber is that I wasn't taking my meds, and ignored my doctor and wife who is an ICU/CCU, Cardiac rehab nurse.

I know better now, and follow most of the rules.

You'll do fine in your recovery, but be prepared for it to be a mental as well as physical challenge. Your doctors and nurses understand this is a common consequence of a cadiac incident and know that attitude is key to a complete recovery, so let them know if your not feeling right.

I hope you feel better soon.

envirodiver
03-07-2008, 00:42
I thought I'd let you know how this happened . . . as we were driving through Kremmling (I was driving, which was another great stroke of luck or something like it), I happened to notice one of those big blue H signs on the side of the road. The only reason I paid special attention to it was because it was right next to a sign for a library (one of my favorite places in the world to be!).

Amazing how things happen sometimes. Is it karma, is it guardian angel. I don't know, but I've had these types of things happen as well. Great that it occured for you guys when it did. Not his time.

Footslogger
03-07-2008, 13:40
'Slogger, maybe we could send you a yard of dirt and an orange trowel to make you feel more comfortable:D?
=========================

That made me laugh ...which I'm not supposed to be doing - - so cut that out. Besides, BAT and I are the only ones here in the hospital who would understand.

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-07-2008, 13:50
Perfect. They they'd never know who didn't dig their cathole deep enough. :p

ed bell
03-07-2008, 13:54
Perfect. They they'd never know who didn't dig their cathole deep enough. :pHe said "cut it out", what are you tryin' to do to the poor chap?:p

Footslogger
03-07-2008, 14:14
He said "cut it out", what are you tryin' to do to the poor chap?:p
===========================

Guess this might be one time when NO means yes ...but do go easy on me for a bit !!

'Slogger

envirodiver
03-07-2008, 14:23
Perfect. They they'd never know who didn't dig their cathole deep enough. :p

Geez I thought that we had all decided that we were supposed to put it in a bag and take it home with us.

Alligator
03-07-2008, 14:29
Well if you can't bury it, ask BAT to bring you up a stick or two to let the nurses know the bedpan has been used.

RadioFreq
03-07-2008, 15:24
Sounds like you're getting better. Of course, this now means you're going
to have to be a little more selective on where you "eat out".

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2007/6/12&name=Non_Sequitur_pan (http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2007/6/12&name=Non_Sequitur_pan)

Nean
03-07-2008, 16:51
Sorry I didn't make it to the ruck.:(

HAPPY you made it from the ruck, Slogger-- Get well soon!:)

eArThworm
03-07-2008, 22:05
My computer's been broke for several days, and I'm just now
catching up on things. SO glad you're alive, Footslogger. And
I'll bet B.A.T. is, too! :-) Take it easy and have a good
recovery.

Footslogger
03-07-2008, 22:18
About to crash but thought I'd let everyone know that today was one of the "one step forward days" (process if full of one step forward/two to the rear)

Blood pressure stabilized enough today for them to trust beginning some of the cardiac meds to try and get good blood flow to the heart muscle without over taxing the heart.

About 6PM they stood me up -- first time since the attack on Sunday --and I VERY SLOWLY pushed a wheel chair around the ICU desk. Probably no more than a couple dozen steps but might have well been Katahdin for me.

No telling what tomorrow may hold. Exhausted but exillerated at the same time. I can only say that I have taken walking way too lightly over my life.

Time to shut my eyes. Again, thanks for all the support and kind words.

'Slogger

Lugnut
03-08-2008, 00:46
When you graduate to a walker you should be good to hike. Hope to see you in May. You may have to stay on the porch though and I may stay with you, us old guys have to stick together! Hang in there. Seriously though, you are a lucky man or else there really is something to that karma stuff.

gumball
03-08-2008, 07:15
Just saw this now--best wishes to you and your wife for a speedy recovery, glad you are well enough to post updates here for us.

This means more oatmeal, you know! :) Take good care. gum

StarLyte
03-08-2008, 07:22
Okay 'Slog, was that Yuengling you said you wanted me to ship to you? :rolleyes:

woodsy
03-08-2008, 11:20
About to crash but thought I'd let everyone know that today was one of the "one step forward days" (process if full of one step forward/two to the rear)

Blood pressure stabilized enough today for them to trust beginning some of the cardiac meds to try and get good blood flow to the heart muscle without over taxing the heart.

About 6PM they stood me up -- first time since the attack on Sunday --and I VERY SLOWLY pushed a wheel chair around the ICU desk. Probably no more than a couple dozen steps but might have well been Katahdin for me.

No telling what tomorrow may hold. Exhausted but exillerated at the same time. I can only say that I have taken walking way too lightly over my life.

Time to shut my eyes. Again, thanks for all the support and kind words.

'Slogger

This reminds me of the slogan "small strokes fell big Oaks" which may well hold true for you at this time.
You and BAT have had some serious challenges this year....finishing a AT section in Maine, dodging lightning bolts on Saddleback Mtn...torrential rains leading to a raging Carrabassett River ford.....This too shall pass.
Hang in there man, thanks for the updates.
woodsy

l0ngterm
03-08-2008, 21:02
Wow. Been there, done that and thank modern medicine to keep me hiking. I currently have 2 100% obstructions (RCA and LDC) but great collateral blood flow keeps me hiking.

If you haven't ever heard of Dr. Ornish or Dr. Esselyten and their proof on how lifestyle changes (diet and exercise) can prevent future arterial clogging and even reverse existing then you should definitely check out thier books. Dr. Esselyten's website www.heartattackproof.com (http://www.heartattackproof.com) is a good starting point.

Keep on Hiking,

l0ngterm

1Pint
03-08-2008, 21:29
Hey 'Slogger -
I'm so glad you played it safe and told BadAss the truth when she asked you about going to the hospital!

If you're not supposed to laugh too much, I guess Romulan Ale and vulcan beans are also off the menu for a bit. Bummer. We just got a fresh shipment of each.

Obviously this community is thinking of you both and I'm adding my thoughts to the mix. Thanks for keeping us updated as things move along (although, we don't need to know about everything that moves along! ;) you could keep your future BMs to yourself.... wait, then again, I guess you need to get those out, don't you? ;)).... anyway, what I'm trying to say is... glad you're getting the care you need and let us know how you & The Empress are coping.
Laura/1Pint

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 00:58
HThanks for keeping us updated as things move along (although, we don't need to know about everything that moves along! ;) you could keep your future BMs to yourself....

Heck no, 1Pint, news like that passes for big entertainment around here.
(Pass the Romulan ale, BTW)
They don't call him "Tootslogger" for nothing.
But out west, don't they "frost a rock?"

1Pint
03-09-2008, 15:37
Heck no, 1Pint, news like that passes for big entertainment around here.
(Pass the Romulan ale, BTW)
They don't call him "Tootslogger" for nothing.
But out west, don't they "frost a rock?"

Jan - How right you are! Old trailnames never die and thankfully TootSlogger won't either!

Montego
03-09-2008, 15:46
Tootslogger? Ah, the legend grows :D

Footslogger
03-09-2008, 16:27
Do I get a vote with regard to the whole "Tootslogger" saga ??

'Slogger

mudhead
03-09-2008, 16:28
They starving you yet?

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2008, 16:46
Do I get a vote with regard to the whole "Tootslogger" saga ??

'Slogger

No way. We went along with the change from "Toot," and look what it got you. You are a new man, the incarnation of your entire past. "Tootslogger" it is. :-] --Kinnickinic :welcome

TJ aka Teej
03-09-2008, 17:26
After reading of your adventure on at-l I made a move that'd been put off way too long. I go in for a major physical next week, first one in 12 years. All because of you.
So please get well, be well, & stay well, 'Toots'!

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2008, 19:06
No way. We went along with the change from "Toot," and look what it got you. You are a new man, the incarnation of your entire past. "Tootslogger" it is. :-] --Kinnickinic :welcome

Retracting. You deserve to be able to choose your own trail name, and you have done so well--the equivalent of Katahdin today, no less--well, Footslogger it should be.--KK

Egads
03-09-2008, 19:09
Hey Slogger,

I hope that you are feeling better. Take it one day at at time.

Egads

Footslogger
03-09-2008, 20:24
They starving you yet?

=====================================

Funny you should ask. They're concerned because I've lost about 4 lbs in a week so I asked one of the cardiologists to stop in at my room when they bring the dinner trays. He understands now and I'm getting much better food

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-09-2008, 20:30
After reading of your adventure on at-l I made a move that'd been put off way too long. I go in for a major physical next week, first one in 12 years. All because of you.
So please get well, be well, & stay well, 'Toots'!
==================================

Well Teej ...I wouldn't wish this on anyone. But, if my experience pushed you into a check-up I'd say more power to ya.

I'll never know - - maybe one of those $3500 Cardiac Plaque Tests would have spotted my problem. The cardiologist who did my cath study (and the intervention) said that there is absolutely no way to tell. Did the obstruction build over time and suddenly reach total blockage on Sunday ...or was it open and some major sludge pile just gather all of a sudden in it on Sunday. I'll never know.

Good luck on your exam.

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-09-2008, 21:03

Funny you should ask. They're concerned because I've lost about 4 lbs in a week so I asked one of the cardiologists to stop in at my room when they bring the dinner trays. He understands now and I'm getting much better food

'SloggerSpoken like a true Schleppie, and well done!

Keep us posted. We're cheering for you.

Blissful
03-09-2008, 21:10
Take care. Rooting for you. Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. :)

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 21:15
Thanks for keeping us updated about you guys.
We joke around at your expense, but we really do care.

(Any important "movement" today? :D)

Thoughtful Owl
03-10-2008, 11:23
Thanks for keeping us updated about you guys.
We joke around at your expense, but we really do care.

(Any important "movement" today? :D)

Yeah, Slogger we do care. I was away from the computer all weekend until this morning; out in the rain and the wind & cold with a bunch of very young scouts. I didn't see any updated post right away so I had to do a search. Good to know you are making slow progress. Continue to keep you and the "Better half" in my thoughts and prayers.

sneezer
03-10-2008, 11:36
we're with you - keep sloggin. glad you are on the mend; better trails ahead.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-10-2008, 12:23
About 6PM they stood me up -- first time since the attack on Sunday --and I VERY SLOWLY pushed a wheel chair around the ICU desk. Probably no more than a couple dozen steps but might have well been Katahdin for me.::: Dino seen designing special patch for thru-hike of the ICU :::
Did the obstruction build over time and suddenly reach total blockage on Sunday ...or was it open and some major sludge pile just gather all of a sudden in it on Sunday. I'll never know.Just what were you boys drinking that that RUCK? :D

Continue prayers for both of you. I know this is major blimp on your radar, but it is a blimp. I'm already considering patch designs for the thru-hike of the hallway and a plaque for thru-hiking cardiac rehab......

Tootslogger - I like it. :D

envirodiver
03-10-2008, 12:26

'Slogger

Is that a version of yogiing?

Thoughtful Owl
03-10-2008, 12:42
Is that a version of yogiing?

Sounds like it to me. And a new version at that. FootSlogger may make the list of this years top yogiers with this version.

Yukon
03-10-2008, 12:52
Wow bro, my prayers go out for your quick recovery.

Footslogger
03-10-2008, 14:30
OK ...first things first - - I took my first shower today since the heart attack. Ya know, as gnarly as I ever got on the trail I never felt as much like I needed a shower as now. Would have made for funny video ...me with plastic bags covering up all the monitoring electronics and pic lines - - but NO, the camera was not rolling so you're just gonna have to use your iimagination on this one.

First full day in step down cardiac ward. Latest word is that they have some lingering concerns about "after effects" and wanted me to be prepared for possibility of needing an implantable defibrillator. Not a certainty yet and I really don't want to go that route ...but there is a chance. I asked the cardiologist if I could get 2 of them (in the event that I need one) and he said why ?? I replied that I was big into symmetry and wanted both of my pecs to stand out when I backpack without a shirt. He didn't understand ???

Other than that it's just another rotten day in paradise. I am starting to get a bit nervous though because today's lunch actually tasted good !! With that, it's time for my mandatory afternoon walk - - imagine having to impose a walking regimen on a hiker ?? Anyway, off we (BadAss Turtle and I) go.

All for now. More updates when available ...

'Slogger

Mags
03-10-2008, 14:41
How are they are about visiting in the cardiac ward? As strict as ICU?

Hmm...I can't wait to announce next year's Ruck:

The Rockies Ruck is so exciting, people need to be taken back via ambulance.

:eek:

I am so glad you are doing better...

Footslogger
03-10-2008, 14:58
[quote=Mags;563489]How are they are about visiting in the cardiac ward? As strict as ICU?

=======================================

Na ...no restrictions in this ward as far as I know. C'mon down if you get a chance - - but don't go out of your way just for me.

As for next years Rockies Ruck ...the video of choice is "Footslogger's Coronary Obstruction and Subsequent Angioplasty" ...aka "Hiking the Coronary Trail"

All for now. Just heard nurse Ratchet's voice in the hallway. BadAss and I are crawling under the bed.

'Slogger

jlb2012
03-10-2008, 15:08
have fun under the bed

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-10-2008, 15:28
::: Dino curls protective tail around Tootslogger nad BAT and shows pointy little teeth to Nurse Ratchet :::

mudhead
03-10-2008, 18:32
They will want you to shed some heft, but not that quick. Thumbs up for speaking up to the C doc. Never be afraid to speak up.

You freeballin' in them jammies?

Skidsteer
03-10-2008, 18:42

Please don't answer that 'Slogger!

Survivor Dave
03-10-2008, 18:46
So 'Slogger, What's this about you being in some hospital in Colorado with wires and tubes hanging out of you?

Get well soon!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FootslogerBATbahama.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/6/4/7/footslogerbatbahama.jpg

Thanks to FD for the hard work!

Hooch
03-10-2008, 18:55
::: Dino seen designing special patch for thru-hike of the ICU ::: Do those of us who work there qualify for that one? :D

'Slogger, you keep up the walks and the bodily functions and you'll be out of there in no time flat. Lots of positive energy being directed to you and BAT, so hope it's continuing to help. I hope the pacer/ICD isn't necessary, but if you gotta, you're a lot better off having it than not. You and BAT just keep your chins up and keep on keepin' on!

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 07:35

===================================

Damn Skippy !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 07:38
So 'Slogger, What's this about you being in some hospital in Colorado with wires and tubes hanging out of you?

Get well soon!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FootslogerBATbahama.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/6/4/7/footslogerbatbahama.jpg

Thanks to FD for the hard work!

===============================================

Not bad art work. Final comment from Empress BadAss to follow ...AND I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE !!

'Slogger

Sly
03-11-2008, 07:40
Good morning Slogger! How much longer in the hospital?

Two Speed
03-11-2008, 07:46
Good morning Slogger! How much longer in the hospital?Judging by some of his comments I'm betting not much longer. If they don't release him because he's doing better they'll kick him out before he corrupts the candy stripers. :eek:

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 08:00
Good morning Slogger! How much longer in the hospital?

=======================================

Hopefullly winding down. Must be since I can no go to the toilet by myself. Have echo exam today that is key in determining whether or not I end up with an implanted defibrillator. Really don't want one of those suckers so I'm depending on everyone at WB to start a mantra or some sort of "woodstock cheer" for me ...ya know - NO DEFIBRILLATOR - NO DEFIBRILLATOR !

If the results of todays echo are good, or at least in my favor, I could be headed back toward Laramie by tomorrow ...and that news can't come SOON enough !!

Oh, Two Speed, amazingly there have been no candy stripers available ...at least on my floor(s) - all hard core, Nurse Ratchet types. One false move out of me and it would have been cold water sponge baths for sure :eek:

Will keep ya'll posted ...

'Slogger

Hooch
03-11-2008, 08:01
......If they don't release him because he's doing better they'll kick him out before he corrupts the candy stripers. :eek: Would that make them candy strippers then? :eek:

Two Speed
03-11-2008, 08:14
Would that make them candy strippers then? :eek:That would be my kind of stress test, but somehow I don't see that catching on, despite the obvious advantages.

I guess we all know why 'Slogger got the Nurse Ratchet types instead of candy stripers, don't we? Prolly best 'cuz there ain't no way he can defend himself against the Empress Bad Ass Turtle in his current condition, and damn sure can't run fast enough either.

Ya know, I wonder if we can find a way to let the nursing staff know they've been referred to as "Nurse Ratchet types" by one of their patients? :-?

Bad Ass Turtle
03-11-2008, 14:49
Thanks to whoever did that creative art work on me and Slogger. I haven't looked that good in YEARS!!

'Slogger is doing well today, and they're talking about letting him out of the hospital tomorrow...

YAHOO!

:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-11-2008, 15:21
Thanks to whoever did that creative art work on me and Slogger. I haven't looked that good in YEARS!!

'Slogger is doing well today, and they're talking about letting him out of the hospital tomorrow...

YAHOO!:sun:bananaYou're quite welcome for the art work and hearing you and 'slogger are likely going home is wonderful. Guess this means the Echo test results showed what we already know - 'slogger has big ol' heathy heart.

::: Dino seen doing happy dance :::

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 17:09
[quote=Frolicking Dinosaurs;564366]Guess this means the Echo test results showed what we already know - 'slogger has big ol' heathy heart.
======================================

Well ...not quite. Actually we don't have the ultrasound results quite yet and even if if does indicated that I won't need the defibrillator there's no chance it will show my heart to be healthy.

But hey ...thanks for the kind words !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-12-2008, 06:00
'Slogger, I've noticed that you're posting on other threads. Bad 'Slogger, bad. No more posting on other threads until you make your escape from the Nurse Ratchet types.

Mind my words young man, or we'll put you back on regular hospital food.

Footslogger
03-12-2008, 06:20
'Slogger, I've noticed that you're posting on other threads. Bad 'Slogger, bad. No more posting on other threads until you make your escape from the Nurse Ratchet types.

Mind my words young man, or we'll put you back on regular hospital food.

=========================================

Point welll taken there Sir Two Speed. I probably shouldn't be on the puter in the hospital in the first place but I find myself helpless against the forces of the internet. Besides that it really sucks being in the hospital this long. Can somebody PLEASE write me a note and get me out of here !!

'Slogger

Maple
03-12-2008, 06:39
So glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Higher powers were watching over you on your three-hour ride through bad weather. It wouldn't be the same without you here. My prayers continue for you and B A Turtle.

Hooch
03-12-2008, 06:41
=========================================

Point welll taken there Sir Two Speed. I probably shouldn't be on the puter in the hospital in the first place but I find myself helpless against the forces of the internet. Besides that it really sucks being in the hospital this long. Can somebody PLEASE write me a note and get me out of here !!

'Slogger
I'd write ya an excuse 'Slogger, but I don't think other nurses will honor a nurse's excuse. :D Just keep on doing the right thing, listen to the docs and you'll be able to blow that popsicle stand before you know what happened. :)

Tin Man
03-12-2008, 09:00
Yikes! I only opened this thread now, mainly because I thought it was just another post-operative ruck sharing celebration. I had no idea it was truly post-operative for one of WB's beloved.

Geez Slogger. Take your meds, do your rehab and get back on the trail soon! All my best.

Note to Dino: Next time you rename a thread for awareness of a "serious illness" can you be a little more emphatic for us slow ones. :o Thanks.

Two Speed
03-12-2008, 13:54
Soooo, Brother 'Slogger, have you escaped the clutches of Nurse Ratchet or do we need to start forging a letter from a doctor?

Footslogger
03-12-2008, 13:57
Soooo, Brother 'Slogger, have you escaped the clutches of Nurse Ratchet or do we need to start forging a letter from a doctor?
===============================

I'd say working on the letter would be a better bet. Nurses are being great actually ...and so are the docs - - but they (the docs) hold all the cards).

'Slogger

StarLyte
03-12-2008, 14:00
I don't know what's funnier...the Nurse Ratched postings or the raunchy stuff, no it's that GREAT Photoshop Empress....Frol'Dino and the pic of Slog and BAT.

Outstanding work FD-as usual !

ENOUGH SLACKING 'SLOG !

Tin Man
03-12-2008, 14:18
ENOUGH SLACKING 'SLOG !

Slacking? Sounds like he is taking way too many zeros!

Slogger, Tell the docs to let you go out and hike for your rehab. Tell them you would be happy to slack for awhile if that would make them better.

Two Speed
03-12-2008, 14:53
Slacking? Sounds like he is taking way too many zeros!

Slogger, Tell the docs to let you go out and hike for your rehab. Tell them you would be happy to slack for awhile if that would make them better.Now there's an idea. Think you can get 'em to define hiking as medically necessary?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-12-2008, 15:30
Note to Dino: Next time you rename a thread for awareness of a "serious illness" can you be a little more emphatic for us slow ones. :o Thanks.I didn't want to put the exact malady in the thread title as all the tests weren't back when I changed the title.
Now there's an idea. Think you can get 'em to define hiking as medically necessary?Hmmm.... maybe the insurance company could pay for your next thru-hike as rehab.... I'm seeing some great possibilities here.

Footslogger
03-12-2008, 20:56
Well ...on a more serious note, they are taking me to surgery in the morning to implant a defibrillator. Left ventricular function is to weak and I have developed a right bundle branch block so I am at high risk for a life threatening spontaneous cardiac event.

Surgery is at 10 AM Denver time and if all goes well I should be back in my room in a couple hours.

Keep me in your thoughts. Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Roland
03-12-2008, 21:03
~

'Slogger

You've got it. Keep on the sunnyside and best of luck.

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 23:20
Well ...on a more serious note, they are taking me to surgery in the morning to implant a defibrillator. Left ventricular function is to weak and I have developed a right bundle branch block so I am at high risk for a life threatening spontaneous cardiac event.

Surgery is at 10 AM Denver time and if all goes well I should be back in my room in a couple hours.

'Slogger

Hugs to you guys.
Keep us posted, BAT.

Hey, it's keeping Dick Cheney alive! Why not you?

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 02:27
. . . Keep me in your thoughts. Thanks in advance ...

'SloggerDefinitely. Let us know how things work out as soon as you feel up to it.

greentick
03-13-2008, 05:22
Prayers for you and BAT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2008, 07:13
Prayers all day for both 'slogger and BAT.

If there is anything we can do from afar to ease the burden for either of you, please let us know.

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 07:28
More prayers for 'slogger and BAT.

jersey joe
03-13-2008, 08:21
Hope you get better Slogger....

Mags
03-13-2008, 10:09
My thoughts are with you and BA.

I know you'll be on the trails sooner rather than later.

Alligator
03-13-2008, 10:13
Positive thoughts headed your way.

Thoughtful Owl
03-13-2008, 10:48

'Slogger

Our thoughts and prayers are with Slogger and BAT. Surgery will be at 12 noon for those of us on the east coast.

Creek Dancer
03-13-2008, 10:57
Wow, I just read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you two for a quick recovery.

SawnieRobertson
03-13-2008, 13:51
It's going on now--Prayers that the training that the doctors did is in their fingers today. Waiting for the good news.--Kinnickinic

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2008, 14:11
::: Dino seen praying with loving and comforting tail wrapped around BAT :::

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 14:15
Hey Slog,
This is the first I've read this thread. Right their with you and BAT. It's all good. . . comin your way.
Peace

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2008, 14:45
I just got off the phone with BAT. 'Slogger is out of surgery and back in his room. Everything went great.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 14:46
Excellent. Now we can get back to kidding around and calling each other names again!

Sly
03-13-2008, 14:49
I just got off the phone with BAT. 'Slogger is out of surgery and back in his room. Everything went great.

Great. ....

peanuts
03-13-2008, 16:31
fantastic news.... speedy recoveryt o sloger and lots of hugs to b a t...

Micky
03-13-2008, 16:41
Footslogger hope everything works out great.
Here's a poem a friend sent me. May you have a long and wonderful dash. www.dashpoemmovie.com (http://www.dashpoemmovie.com)
Micky

Bad Ass Turtle
03-13-2008, 16:45
Thanks to all of you who have been asking about Slogger and his progress. I’ll begin by saying we both feel that he is doing well, considering he had what the doctors are calling a “massive” heart attack. (They’ve also said to him – and I think this is going to be a tag line of sorts for him – “You look better than your chart.”) This morning the cardiac docs did a procedure to implant a defibrillator under the skin and attach it to his heart. Because of the heart damage that he suffered, he is at risk for a second attack, which could kill him. The defibrillator/pacemaker mechanism only acts when an abnormality is present, and is a form of life insurance. One of the doctors told us yesterday that without the defibrillator, if he has a second attack, he has a 3% chance of surviving it. With the defibrillator, his survival odds go up to 99%. Kind of a no-brainer for us.

The procedure was carried out under conscious sedation, which means he has lots of drugs on board and is loopy as all get out. Right now he’s napping, which is for the best. The surgeons told me that the procedure was a success, that all went well.

We expect to be released from the hospital either Friday or Saturday, but we’ll hang around in Denver at least until Monday, so that he can get back in to see the cardiologists before we head for Laramie.

I can’t tell you what it has meant to know that all of you (and many other people, I’m sure) have been pulling for us, whether from near or from far. We hope you’ll continue to keep Slogger in your thoughts and prayers. Knowing he has the defibrillator is a great relief, but there is still a long road for us to travel to get him back into shape. The good news is, he’s alive to continue that journey.

All my best to all of you –

Bad Ass Turtle

Sly
03-13-2008, 16:48
((((bat))))

D'Artagnan
03-13-2008, 16:49
I will say an extra prayer and give thanks tonight. Peace be with you both.

River Runner
03-13-2008, 16:55
So glad that the surgery went well. Prayers for a good recovery and avoidance of a second attack. It is a long road to recovery, but one that many people make successfully, so we'll be praying Footslogger is one of the successful ones.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 17:30
(They’ve also said to him – and I think this is going to be a tag line of sorts for him – “You look better than your chart.”)
Bad Ass Turtle

Aw man, what a relief! Thanks for keeping us updated BAT, sincerely. I'm sure you felt a lot of hiker energy coming your way today.

If anyone can fight back thru rehab, a thru-hiker can. Especially an '03 thru-hiker.
:banana
"The Wet Year!"

I hope you get some fine bath salts tonight and have yourself a good soak.
It's been a tough time.

As for looking better than his chart, tell him it must be one funny looking chart!
:D

mudhead
03-13-2008, 18:03
Any titanium in that rig?

Hope you are up and about soon. Listen to your better half. Be well.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 18:45
Thanks for the report. Looks like 'Slogger got help just in time.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2008, 19:00
Footslogger, GET WELL SOON!

Maple
03-13-2008, 19:27
Continued prayers for slogger and BATurtle. This is a good time to be a thru-hiker slogger! And I have faith you will come thru this like a trooper. We are all rooting for you.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-13-2008, 19:52
Keep the replies coming! Slogger is really enjoying them. Of course, I have to read him the replies, because his arm is immobilized (temporarily) at his side from the surgery.

The biggest inconvenience to Footslogger at this point is that he's having trouble picking his nose.

More tomorrow, so stay tuned . . .

Bad Ass Turtle

Trail Yeti
03-13-2008, 19:56
'Slogger, you come up with the strangest excuses to get out of Hard Core!!;) Get well soon buddy. hi BAT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2008, 20:15
The biggest inconvenience to Footslogger at this point is that he's having trouble picking his nose. Maybe if you mount this handy device on one of his trekking poles?
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/02/nose-picker.jpg

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 20:20
Keep the replies coming! Slogger is really enjoying them. Of course, I have to read him the replies, because his arm is immobilized (temporarily) at his side from the surgery.

The biggest inconvenience to Footslogger at this point is that he's having trouble picking his nose.

More tomorrow, so stay tuned . . .

Bad Ass Turtle

Sounds like something Rock would snivel about. ;)

But Honey I just had surgery, could you pick my nose for me? :eek:

You better get well soon 'Slogger... Don't make me come out there. :cool:

You take care too BAT. :)

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 20:23
We can make him faster
stronger
smarter
more mischeivous

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 20:29

HA! Thanks for the BLOTD (Belly Laugh of the day).

The only remaining honorable option: double-barreled snot rockets.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 20:32
We can make him faster If we made him slower that'd be an achievement :cool:
stronger I'm down with that
smarter That shouldn't be very hard :p
more mischeivous Huh? Ain't no stinkin' way!

Survivor Dave
03-13-2008, 20:45
Sending my best on a speedy recovery with some " 'Slogger and BAT Magic". Gotta be better than that hospital stuff. Yecccchhh!

SD
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/6/4/7/img_0310_original.jpg

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 21:25
Hey 'Slog, sleep tight. We'll yak atcha tomorrow.

RadioFreq
03-14-2008, 08:43
Cap'n Slogger, there is actual math breaking out on the "Math" thread!!! :eek:
Your presence is requested on the bridge.

P.S. Keep positive, get well. And where it concerns your new "attachment" you may ignore my signature below.

Thoughtful Owl
03-14-2008, 09:38
Footslogger and BAT, they say laughter is the best medicine so...

http://www.surfersam.com/friends/retirement/old3.gif...A sexy babe catches your fancy and your pacemaker opens the garage door.

Seriously...I trust you will continue to do well. My thoughts and prayers are with as you walk down the Trail of Recovery.

Tin Man
03-14-2008, 09:40
Footslogger and BAT, they say laughter is the best medicine so...

http://www.surfersam.com/friends/retirement/old3.gif...A sexy babe catches your fancy and your pacemaker opens the garage door.

Does the pacemaker keep the garage door up or does it come right back down I wonder. :-?

Ashman
03-14-2008, 09:50
Does the pacemaker keep the garage door up or does it come right back down I wonder. :-?

Depends if it is the little blue one

SawnieRobertson
03-14-2008, 10:03
I think that the prayers helped. I think that the expertise of the docs helped. I think that BAT's love helped. Most of all, I believe that Footslogger helped . . . in advance . . .with his thru and his continued hiking. He also demonstrated to each of us, both men and women, the extreme value of giving in to the situation. He answered "Yes" when BAT asked if he thought they should go to the hospital. And so, Slogger, I believe we can trust you to progress back to thru level at exactly the right pace, using your own willingness to listen to your body without trying to be Macho Man. Obviously, you have a wide, loving following who will be cheering your first steps out of the hospital as well as those you take to an intelligent full recovery.--Kinnickinic

Footslogger
03-14-2008, 11:21
Morning everyone !! Well, I had a pretty good night and they gave me limited use of my left arm back this morning (has to do with the implant in my left upper chest). Had a great breakfast, just took a walk and now I'm waiting for X-ray.

Cardiologist stopped in this morning already and said that today probably won't be "the" day. Blood pressure is still a bit low to begin adding cardiac meds but they are starting me on the blood thinners again and sometime today I will probably be moved out of ICU (they put me back here after my surgery) and onto a cardiac telemetry floor.

As for the whole pacemaker/garage door opening thing ...the vote is still out. Personally, I hope this sucker never goes off and just serves as an insurance policy.

All for now. Will post more later.

Can't tell ya'll how much your words of support and humor have and continue to mean to me (and BA Turtle). Keep em coming ...

'Slogger

Ender
03-14-2008, 11:21
Slogger & BAT,

Glad to hear that recovery is coming along! You two both take care, take it easy, and be healthy. My thoughts are (still) with you both, and I keep trying to pump out positive energy in your direction.

Footslogger
03-14-2008, 11:29
'Slogger, you come up with the strangest excuses to get out of Hard Core!!;) Get well soon buddy. hi BAT.

==============================================

Yeti, speaking of which, please pass along our best to Bob and Pat and explain my circumstances. Prior to the heart attack we were both planning of being at Trail Days and showing up at Kincora. But all things considered it doesn't seem like a good idea now.

Anyway ...be sure and update them for me

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

mudhead
03-14-2008, 11:29
Good to hear you have the use of both hands again.

Hard to scratch the boys properly one handed.

Mags
03-14-2008, 11:33
Good to hear you have the use of both hands again.

Hard to scratch the boys properly one handed.

Dino PLEASE don't photoshop that.. Please. Please. Please.... :eek:

When I organized the Ruck, my intention was *not* to keep people in the Denver area..honest. :)

Think of your recovery like a thru-hike. Starts off hard and bit unknown, you start to adapt, then you end the journey.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2008, 12:56
Dino PLEASE don't photoshop that.. Please. Please. Please.... :eek:Why not? I think 'slogger's handsome and his boys are adorable.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Sloggersboys.jpg

Jan LiteShoe
03-14-2008, 13:46
Why not? I think 'slogger's handsome and his boys are adorable.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Sloggersboys.jpg

Nice outfit!
The diagonal plaid doesn't make you look a bit fat.

Footslogger
03-14-2008, 13:58
Those are NOT my boys. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

I agree about the gown though. Sure wish I had my trusty old AT ball cap. Would make a big hit here in the hospital - especially the way it reeks !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-14-2008, 18:52
. . . Sure wish I had my trusty old AT ball cap. Would make a big hit here in the hospital - especially the way it reeks !!

'SloggerMight get ya kicked loose a little earlier, too. Ya know how those Nurse Ratchet types react to strange, unidentifiable noxious odors.

Or it might get ya scrubbed down with steel wool. Could be a downside to this program . . . :-?

1Pint
03-15-2008, 17:42
(has to do with the implant in my left upper chest).

I knew you admired strong women (evidence = BadAss Turtle), but did you have to go to all that trouble to get implants? You coulda just stuck to BadAss Turtle's red dress and Lone Wolf's high heels. Much easier and a lot less drama!

I hope you get to head home soon and know that I'll be thinking about you and BA while I'm hiking over the next couple of weeks. We are so lucky to have the health we have, even if we're rehabing from something.

Take care of each other,
Laura/1Pint

grquinn
03-15-2008, 18:26
Hey Trooper!

Man was I sorry to hear about your illness. I don't get teary eyed often, but I sure did when I read your post.

You were one tough paratrooper in Germany so you're going to do just fine!

If it helps any Sp/4 Wiley from the Forward Observer Section and the battery Asst. Training NCO has had four by-pass operations and still ranches and guides pheasant hunts. Wiley was from Wyoming.

And get this, I 've been reading about your AT hike over on Trail Journals and happened to see your entry here on WB about your illness!

What a great journal!

I was searching the internet trying to find a way to send you a Henninger "flippy" but so far the only ones I can find are the kind with metal bottle tops. Will that do?

I'm praying for you and your family and hope you get well soon.

Respectfully,

Sp/4 Quinn

A or B Battery

5/81st FA (Abn)

Rhine Kaserne

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 18:56
Good to see your posts Slog. :sun

You da man.
And for sure those boys look JUST like you.
Just sayin . . .

:p

Trail Yeti
03-15-2008, 20:34
Slogger,
no worries...I'll keep Bob in the loop.
As for the hospital...I imagine its kind of like boot camp...shut up, do what they say as quickly as possible, so you can get out of there as quickly as possible;)
have a great day...Hi BAT:)

Summit
03-15-2008, 21:27
Hey Slogger,

I have no idea (nor excuses) why I passed over this thread until now. I had no idea of the seriousness behind the title.

A little late, but not diminished in heartfelt sincere prayers that you will have a full recovery and be "slogging" the trails again real soon. None of us ever know what tomorrow will bring, but praise be to God that He is sovereign, loves and cares for each one of us.

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. Luke 12:6-7 ESV

God bless, and may you be restored to full health real soon!

Brodels
03-15-2008, 23:02
I don't believe I've posted here before, but after reading your story, I felt compelled to check in. I wish you the very best in your recovery. It sounds like some things have really gone your way so far, and I hope that it continues. I'll be praying for you.

warraghiyagey
03-16-2008, 02:57
I don't believe I've posted here before, but after reading your story, I felt compelled to check in. I wish you the very best in your recovery. It sounds like some things have really gone your way so far, and I hope that it continues. I'll be praying for you.

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Two Speed
03-16-2008, 08:15
'Slogger, when you feel like you're up to it I'd appreciate a run down on what you think you did right and what you did wrong in regard to your recent health imbroglio. I know you got your cholesterol in the right place, and obviously you get out for some fresh air, but I'd really like to see a synopsis; what worked and what you think may have caused you problems.

Yeah, I know I'm asking for quite a bit there, but the way I figure it I'm about 10 years behind you and I'd like to avoid the Nurse Ratchet encounters, if possible.

Anyway, hope today's being a good day for you and that you and The Empress get back to the Laramie Constellation soon.

Jaybird
03-16-2008, 08:56
I had a heart attack ...REALLY - - and a major one !!..................I'm out of danger now at a hospital in Denver but if a few things hadn't gone my way it might have been then end for the old Footlsogger.Will keep you all posted !!
'Slogger

'Slogger,

Just now seeing this post...
WOW, man...you need to take better care of yourself!
Youre in my thoughts & prayers while you recover.
Get Well, Brother!

sheepdog
03-16-2008, 09:01
Get well soon Slogger, You're in our prayers.
Sheepdog

StarLyte
03-16-2008, 09:35
Hi 'Slog, BAT. Were you moved to your new room yet?

I hope the sun is shining thru your window and your new life. :sun

Much love and respect.

Programbo
03-16-2008, 09:44
I had a heart attack ...REALLY - - and a major one !!

Hello..Sorry I missed this post initially..I hope all is going well at this time... I survived a massive heart attack a few years ago (See my post on Feb 28th in the Health Forum) and ever since then I have been very involved with online heart attack recovery support and things so if there`s ever anything you need to know or are worried about feel free to send me an e-mail or PM :)

Bad Ass Turtle
03-16-2008, 15:02
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that Footslogger was released from the hospital yesterday morning. We drove straight to his sister's house, and have been here since, enjoying NOT being in the hospital! Today we went for a little walk (through Target and Walmart, looking for a warm button-up shirt for him) and he did fine. He's basically working on little episodes of activity followed up episodes of resting.

I'm going to go make us a sandwich now, but I thought you'd want to know ...

Thanks again for all of your good wishes. We're not on wireless anymore (ok, that's one good thing about the hospital -- free wireless access!), so we won't be posting quite as frequently until we get back home. That will probably be on Monday late afternoon or Tuesday morning . . .

Bad Ass Turtle
03-16-2008, 15:03
'Slogger,

Just now seeing this post...
WOW, man...you need to take better care of yourself!
Youre in my thoughts & prayers while you recover.
Get Well, Brother!

This has been the ironic thing, Jaybird. He did take care of himself! But there is something about genetics, apparently, that can bite even the healthiest person in the ass.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-16-2008, 15:04
Slogger,
no worries...I'll keep Bob in the loop.
As for the hospital...I imagine its kind of like boot camp...shut up, do what they say as quickly as possible, so you can get out of there as quickly as possible;)
have a great day...Hi BAT:)

Hi Yeti! Thanks for your good wishes. We're on the road to recovery now . . .

Two Speed
03-16-2008, 15:05
'Slogger, this one's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjDvwGxJ0Yc) for you.

Footslogger
03-16-2008, 18:18
Figured it was about time for me to throw up a post of my own. Hasn't been any internet access since we left the hospital but I finally talked BadAss into taking me down to a coffee house.

All in all, if you take into account the events of the past 2 weeks, I'm doing OK. Nowhere near the sustained energy I am used to but I'm getting along. Probably the biggest limitation right now is the ICD implanted in my left upper chest. Kinda swollen and sore and left arm movement is highly restricted to avoid dislodging the leads in my heart.

Other than that ...the appetite is good, I am finally getting a decent night's sleep and the freedom from IV sticks every 4 hours and measuring of urine output is truly liberating.

I lived 58 years and with the exception of an ocassional antibiotic I never took prescription meds. Now I have a bag so full of little brown drug bottles that I need a list to keep them all straight. BadAss is being a huge help in that area.

Have a follow-up visit with the Cardiologist in the morning to get some updated blood labs and inspect my implant scar. With any luck and weather permitting we should be able to head for Laramie sometime in
the afternoon. Funny ...this trip started out 2 weeks ago last Friday. We may finally get to finish off the trip tomorrow.

Once home I'll have more regular access to the internet and will keep you all informed of my progress. One of the first things I have to get straightened out is my work situation. Most likely will not go back to work fo a while but have to get the paperwork rolling so that I have a steady source of income - - cuz as we all know, the bills don't stop coming.

All for now. Thanks again for all the kind words of encouragment and support.

'Slogger

peanuts
03-16-2008, 18:22
cheers to slogger and b a t!!!
feel better and take care:)

wakapak
03-16-2008, 18:24
Glad to hear you are doing better 'Slogger!!! Thoughts are with you guys!!

warraghiyagey
03-17-2008, 00:10
Hey Slog!!
Great to hear from you. So when's your next trip to Colorado??

Mags
03-17-2008, 10:28
:banana:banana:banana:banana

OK..what else should we use the dancing bananas for? :)

Hip! Hip! Hurray!

jlb2012
03-17-2008, 11:12
OK..what else should we use the dancing bananas for?

Is this a trick question or do the Schleppies have an unusual use for dancing bananas?

Mags
03-17-2008, 11:16
Is this a trick question or do the Schleppies have an unusual use for dancing bananas?

What else can I say but reply with another dancing banana? :banana

Footslogger
03-17-2008, 14:33
Hey Slog!!
Great to hear from you. So when's your next trip to Colorado??

===============================

Heck ...I'm still IN Colorado. Haven't been out of the state since the excitement following the Rockies Ruck. If all goes well we will be headed back to the Laramie area tomorrow.

As for my next trip to Colorado ?????????? Let me check with my Cardiologist and I'll get back with you.

'Slogger