PDA

View Full Version : Looks like rabies!

eventidecu
03-05-2008, 10:44
I had a racoon pretty much attact me this morning AFTER daylight! Sucker was out on the bird feeder and when I opened the door to yell at it and scare it off it just looked at me and came down and across the yard right up to me forcing me back into the house. It just stood there inces from the door looking up at me in the window. I banged and yelled to no avail and when it finally backed up a bit I opened the door and again it came to me. When I threw the broom at it, it tried to carry it off. It was just milling around in the yard and every time it saw me or I opened the door it came towards me like a pet or something, right up to the door. Now I have no neighbors, I live in the middle of about 200 ackers near the Blue Ridge Parkway in NW NC so it wasn't used to humans. Well anyway I concidered rabies and dropped it with my 30-06. I would think it was alittle early for rabies but I wasn't taking any chances, heck my daughter could have been outside as she often is in the morning and it might have been tragic. It was just odd as hell.
I've seen "tame" Racoons before but they were always in a park or camping area with alot of human interaction. This was far from it. Had two foxes kill one of my outside cats about two weeks ago as well. Might be looking at a bad rabies year so look out while your out there.
Has anyone else seen rabies this early? I'm taking the thing to animal control this morning to have it checked.

bigmac_in
03-05-2008, 10:55
It could have been a "townie" raccoon that someone trapped and took out to the country to dump.

Was it actually acting agressive, or just moving toward you?

Lone Wolf
03-05-2008, 10:55
It could have been a "townie" raccoon that someone trapped and took out to the country to dump.

Was it actually acting agressive, or just moving toward you?

either way, it's dead. good

Painted Turtle
03-05-2008, 10:59
Yesterday in Litchfield, CT Wamogo Regional High School's interim principal was greet by a raccoon when he arrived at the main entrance of the school. D.E.P was called and removed the raccoon. All indications at this time are that the raccoon was rabid. So I guess the answer to your question is Yes!

Tipi Walter
03-05-2008, 11:08
I had a racoon pretty much attact me this morning AFTER daylight! Sucker was out on the bird feeder and when I opened the door to yell at it and scare it off it just looked at me and came down and across the yard right up to me forcing me back into the house. It just stood there inces from the door looking up at me in the window. I banged and yelled to no avail and when it finally backed up a bit I opened the door and again it came to me. When I threw the broom at it, it tried to carry it off. It was just milling around in the yard and every time it saw me or I opened the door it came towards me like a pet or something, right up to the door. Now I have no neighbors, I live in the middle of about 200 ackers near the Blue Ridge Parkway in NW NC so it wasn't used to humans. Well anyway I concidered rabies and dropped it with my 30-06. I would think it was alittle early for rabies but I wasn't taking any chances, heck my daughter could have been outside as she often is in the morning and it might have been tragic. It was just odd as hell.
I've seen "tame" Racoons before but they were always in a park or camping area with alot of human interaction. This was far from it. Had two foxes kill one of my outside cats about two weeks ago as well. Might be looking at a bad rabies year so look out while your out there.
Has anyone else seen rabies this early? I'm taking the thing to animal control this morning to have it checked.

I had a very similar thing happen to me up at the tipi. It was in the middle of winter and I found a struggling raccoon trying to climb a tree and it took one look at me and came down and walked right up. It tottered a bit and was one big raccoon. It's funny how people react one way or the other. I never considered killing it.

Instead I built it a small shelter to get out of the wind(we were on a high ridgetop covered in windblown snow), and left a bowl of water and some food. I fed it cashews by hand(of course I wore some stiff leather gloves)and its strong arms would reach out and touch me. It was sick, for sure, and after several days in the shelter it died and froze solid. I buried it soon after. I considered it my friend and decided it had come to me for help in the final hours. But blow it away with a gun? Naw, when you live outdoors long enough you see all creatures as your potential friend. I guess I was just desperate for a little company.

snowhoe
03-05-2008, 11:08
when coons used to get on our back porch mama would just chase them off with a broom. -forest gump

warraghiyagey
03-05-2008, 11:12
And the never saw Cujo the raccoon again. The End.

eventidecu
03-05-2008, 11:17
Well I consider a wild animal acting with absolute zero inhibitions to wards me, coming to me as if it were my cat that I was calling, even though I was screaming and throwing things at it "aggressive". It wasn't vocal at all it just came to me as if I were calling it to me, no matter what I did. No fear what so ever. Hell I would have thought it was a pet but I've known people with pet coons and there almost always, like 99%, mean as hell and you can't handle them or they'll bite you even as pets. This plus the fact that it was daylight and I've never seen ANY pet that will still come to you while your screaming and throwing things at it. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen rabies this early. I don't recall that I have.

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 11:24
Well I consider a wild animal acting with absolute zero inhibitions to wards me, coming to me as if it were my cat that I was calling, even though I was screaming and throwing things at it "aggressive". It wasn't vocal at all it just came to me as if I were calling it to me, no matter what I did. No fear what so ever. Hell I would have thought it was a pet but I've known people with pet coons and there almost always, like 99%, mean as hell and you can't handle them or they'll bite you even as pets. This plus the fact that it was daylight and I've never seen ANY pet that will still come to you while your screaming and throwing things at it. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen rabies this early. I don't recall that I have.

Another good reason to be able to quickly launch 9mm hollowpoints.

eventidecu
03-05-2008, 11:28
Tipi I've grow up in the mountains running trap lines and coon hunting with dogs and I've only seen this type of behavior of coons at very poorly maintained camp grounds. Even then not in daylight hours. As to your encounter, rabies in the winter is almost unheard of if at all. I wouldn't have really feared rabies then but again wouldn't have done what you did due to it being obviously sick. But it worked out for you so in hind sight you did a good thing. It's just the lack of fear and it being daylight that did it for me with this thing. Personally I think it's a little early for rabies but it's possible so I eliminated the threat.

mudhead
03-05-2008, 12:33
06 was kinda overkill twernt it? Hope you did not plug it in the head, if you want to take it to the authorities. Use a shovel to move it. Garbage bag in a box to transport. Don't let the dog or cat or kids play in the splatter.

Rabies is nothing to fool with.

Lilred
03-05-2008, 12:41
I had a very similar thing happen to me up at the tipi. It was in the middle of winter and I found a struggling raccoon trying to climb a tree and it took one look at me and came down and walked right up. It tottered a bit and was one big raccoon. It's funny how people react one way or the other. I never considered killing it.

Instead I built it a small shelter to get out of the wind(we were on a high ridgetop covered in windblown snow), and left a bowl of water and some food. I fed it cashews by hand(of course I wore some stiff leather gloves)and its strong arms would reach out and touch me. It was sick, for sure, and after several days in the shelter it died and froze solid. I buried it soon after. I considered it my friend and decided it had come to me for help in the final hours. But blow it away with a gun? Naw, when you live outdoors long enough you see all creatures as your potential friend. I guess I was just desperate for a little company.

You're very lucky. The last thing in the world I would do is try to take care of a sick animal in the wild. You're lucky it didn't tear your hand off. And you should NEVER feed an animal in the wild, no matter how 'sick' it looks. Let nature take its course... All you probably did was extend its agony another a few days...

eventidecu
03-05-2008, 12:41
[quote=mudhead;559214] kids play in the splatter.

LOL..:eek:

mudhead
03-05-2008, 12:45
Probably made a hole in the ground big enough to plant a small shrub.

leeki pole
03-05-2008, 12:51
Probably made a hole in the ground big enough to plant a small shrub.
Yep, kinda what I was thinking. Ought-six......wow.:D

Tipi Walter
03-05-2008, 12:55
There's some cold hearted people out there who stay indoors too much. And leave it to the nanny state henpeckers to throw a blanket rule over every encounter. And grown men afraid of a little raccoon? I must be missing something.

orangebug
03-05-2008, 13:11
This does need to be seen at your local health department or the Animal Control folks. You MUST be careful with how you handle the carcasse in any case.

The rabies virus is essentially 100% lethal to people and is easily spread through contact with body fluids, including saliva or "splatter." Hose down and bleach the areas of where the critter was active, especially the door and stoop and where it was shot. Ditto with the bird feeder, discarding current contents to avoid infecting local squirrels.

SawnieRobertson
03-05-2008, 14:26
This does need to be seen at your local health department or the Animal Control folks. You MUST be careful with how you handle the carcasse in any case.

The rabies virus is essentially 100% lethal to people and is easily spread through contact with body fluids, including saliva or "splatter." Hose down and bleach the areas of where the critter was active, especially the door and stoop and where it was shot. Ditto with the bird feeder, discarding current contents to avoid infecting local squirrels.

The voice of reason has arrived, thank goodness.--Kinnickinic

eventidecu
03-05-2008, 15:34
Well the 30-06 auto is what I keep by the door, I have 20 acres with about 5 acres front yard / pasture ( in the middle of the 20) which my house sits on w/ barn in the rear. I need the range not so much the power but it is an all inclusive caliber, LOL. (we have coyotes and bear in the immediate area)
I did wait until it got away from the porch and started back across the yard, then he turned back and came at me again and that was it. BLAMMO!! I was REAL careful as to burying the thing and not touching it. Also I stand corrected, the animal dept. said they have had a case of rabies in early January already. I was thinking it was rare in the winter. They also concurred with me that it most likely had rabies but didn't want to test it unless I had an exposure.

mudhead
03-05-2008, 15:44
FYI. Some dogs like to dig up and roll in stuff. Not good.

Years ago, had an elkhound. Tried planting corn over a bunch of big suckers I caught. Brilliant.

Odd they were not interested. But then they were not too excited about dead crows around here awhile back.

Jan LiteShoe
03-06-2008, 00:01

Tipi W, I've been thinking about your story all day, it touched me. Something about the spirit of extended friendship and respect. Had I been there, I probably would have done something similar. I'm not naive or anthropomorphizing sick animals here, I'm aware of risks. But having worked with animals all my life, including in zoos, I'd have had the confidence and the connection to do the same if so moved.

This is not to put down others reactions to the original incident. A wild creature approaching freely in daylight might be rabid. Or someone pet. There's no way to know. I just wanted to comment on Tipi Walter's gesture of hospice. It just had a touch of gentle class in it, for me.

eventidecu
03-06-2008, 04:39
I concur with you Jan and it makes for a real nice story in hind sight but I am glad he has the opportunity to admit his disparity for a little company and it all worked out as oppose to the story we'd be telling of his stupidity for playing with a sick animal in the back country, contracted rabies and died. No offense Tipi I'm sure you have good judgment and used it sizing the situation up before playing with the animal. My strange acting wild animal was in my front doorway not in the back country. I wouldn't have shot it had it not been daylight. We see coons alot here at night but a nocturnal animal running around in daylight acting strange adds up to no good.

mudhead
03-06-2008, 09:26
I figure anything that does not act "normal" has rabies. As well as all skunks and all bats. In Maine.

I have bat boxes up, and enjoy their presence. But I don't mess with them.

I wonder how long the virus is viable on a porch surface?

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 11:03
I wonder how long the virus is viable on a porch surface?It's irrelevant unless you get it in your blood, but sunlight and drying out deactivate it.
Here's more than you ever wanted to know about rabies:http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/types.html

Contact such as petting or handling an animal, or contact with blood, urine or feces does not constitute an exposure, and therefore no postexposure prophylaxis is needed in these situations.

Rabies virus becomes noninfectious by desiccation and ultraviolet irradiation. Different environmental conditions affect the rate at which the virus becomes inactive, but in general, if the material containing the virus is dry, the virus can be considered noninfectious.

Tinker
03-06-2008, 11:26
Raccoons aren't afraid of much, though they normally avoid humans. I've had two encounters with them, one on the AT and one in a park near home. The one in the park approached me while I was fishing. It was quite small and thin. It followed me back to the park headquarters. If I walked, it would walk. If I ran, it would keep up. It never tried to attack. I think it was trying to beg food. I informed the rangers, who said that they would trap it and test it (I think that involves killing it to test brain tissue).
The other incident was a face-off while crossing an earthen dam in Massachusettes. This raccoon was the size of a large house cat. He wouldn't back down until I pointed my hiking poles at him and smacked them together. Then he slowly walked down the embankment and let me pass. Raccoons are very bold, in my opinion.

Sly
03-06-2008, 11:34
Raccoons are mostly nocturnal, but not totally. Seeing them during the day isn't unusual.

Tinker
03-06-2008, 11:37
I believe that raccoons are classified as "diurnal" - most active just before dusk and then again just before sunup - like bears.

Tinker
03-06-2008, 11:43
That term should be "crepuscular" - same definition.

Newb
03-06-2008, 12:40

I concur. They want to examine the brain.

Jim Adams
03-06-2008, 23:06

squirrels don't get rabies.

geek

Freedom
03-06-2008, 23:48
Damn it!!! You killed Zorro! I knew I should have put a tag and collar on him!

Freedom
03-06-2008, 23:49
I concur. They want to examine the brain.

This reminds me of another thread I was reading - something about Igor???

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2008, 01:53
If you have one racoon staking out your house, you probably have about 6 more hiding around. Home gardens, feeders, and trash are a racoons favorite free dinner. They are bottomless pit stomaches and very intelligent. Unless a racoon sees a shotgun, its not going to be intimidated.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 01:59
If you have one racoon staking out your house, you probably have about 6 more hiding around. Home gardens, feeders, and trash are a racoons favorite free dinner. They are bottomless pit stomaches and very intelligent. Unless a racoon sees a shotgun, its not going to be intimidated.Yeah, I probably would have gone inside and gotten something for him to eat rather than blasting him. Of course, I would have ended up having to go through the whole vaccination process....

mudhead
03-07-2008, 09:26
squirrels don't get rabies.

geek

?
Mammal.

This is news to me.

Newb
03-07-2008, 11:19
?
Mammal.

This is news to me.

oh no! Rocky has the hydrophobe!

orangebug
03-07-2008, 11:19
It's news to the government also. (http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01314.htm)

Critterman
03-07-2008, 11:35
It's news to the government also. (http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01314.htm)

I didn't know the Dept. of Energy was the expert in Rabies . :) Try this. (http://rabies.emedtv.com/rabies/rabies-and-squirrels.html)
or this (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/squirrels.asp). at the very bottom of the page.

orangebug
03-07-2008, 12:36
Heck, I just linked to the first answer to Google "Can Squirrels Carry Rabies?"

Should be pretty much the same answer anywhere on that question.

Critterman
03-07-2008, 22:27
Heck, I just linked to the first answer to Google "Can Squirrels Carry Rabies?"

Should be pretty much the same answer anywhere on that question.

I do know that about 20 years ago when I lived in Texas the state lab would not accept squirrels for rabies testing unless there was a human bite because they had never had a positive squirrel. That was along time ago and I don't know if that has changed.

deadhorsejoe
03-07-2008, 23:55
I would agree that squirrels rarely (if ever) get rabies.

Any raccoon (also skunks, fox, small carnivores) acting abnormally (loss of fear of humans, act blind, seizures, etc) should be considered rabid first but many are not. Raccoons can also contract canine distemper virus which can cause central nervous system signs similar to rabies. Only way to know for sure is to have the brain tested. The testing is almost always done by State Dept. of Public Health. Your vet or state veterinary diag. lab can help with getting the brain (or whole head) to the proper authorities for testing.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-08-2008, 09:55
Another good reason to be able to quickly launch 9mm hollowpoints.
9 posts is a lot before discussing the proper weaponry to dispatch a small mammal. Good restraint.

GGS2
03-08-2008, 15:38
9 posts is a lot before discussing the proper weaponry to dispatch a small mammal. Good restraint.

But the choice? Think of all that infected brain matter spattered all about...
Where's that upchuck smily?

Tankerhoosen
03-09-2008, 10:48
Once I was flyfishing in broad day light, swearing cause my line got tangled when I heard something coming up behind me, I turn around and not 5 feet from me was a raccoon looking at me like I was crazy, well I yelled at him and he walked off slowly and kept turning to watch me, it was kind of a neat encounter, but glad he didnt get close enough to bite. Remember, wild animals are never your friend, ask Tim Treadwell!

take-a-knee
03-09-2008, 15:00

Only because I didn't see it sooner.

take-a-knee
03-09-2008, 15:03

You need psychological help dude, you suffer from hoplophobia. On second thought a shrink wouldn't help 'cause they typically have the same malady, maybe getting your a$$ mugged would work, it typically does.

Tipi Walter
03-10-2008, 11:57
Raccoons aren't afraid of much, though they normally avoid humans. I've had two encounters with them, one on the AT and one in a park near home. The one in the park approached me while I was fishing. It was quite small and thin. It followed me back to the park headquarters. If I walked, it would walk. If I ran, it would keep up. It never tried to attack. I think it was trying to beg food. I informed the rangers, who said that they would trap it and test it (I think that involves killing it to test brain tissue).
The other incident was a face-off while crossing an earthen dam in Massachusettes. This raccoon was the size of a large house cat. He wouldn't back down until I pointed my hiking poles at him and smacked them together. Then he slowly walked down the embankment and let me pass. Raccoons are very bold, in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that you would snitch out a raccoon to the Tent Police. They'd be the last people I'd ever tell about a raccoon encounter. And like you said, all they know how to do is tag it and bag it, what they politely call "test" it. Or put a radio collar on it. In my fetid opinion, the University of Nature was in session and that day's pop quiz was "You're A Visitor To Their World". Final grade: F