PDA

View Full Version : Z-Rest

Swiftfeet
01-15-2004, 17:36
Looking for thoughts on z-rests. I have a thermarst, but it takes up a lot of room. I think z-rest are durab;e enough to be lashed to the outside of my pack. Anyone have thoughts.

Thanks

chris
01-15-2004, 17:57
I've spent many, many nights on a Z-rest and they are perfectly durable. Indeed, a Z-rest acted as a partial frame for my pack during my PCT hike last summer.They will eventually, like any foam pad, flaten out and lose insulation value. Perhaps 150 nights or so. A ridgrerest is cheaper, lighter, and, I think, a little more comfortable than a Z-rest. Buy a 3/4 length one and at night put your stuff in your pack and your pack under your feet.

gravityman
01-15-2004, 17:57
zrests do not have the r- rating of a thermarest. We seriously noticed this in march while sleeping in shelters. They also get flat pretty fast, reducing their comfort and warmth even further.

Here's a list of weights and R-values on cascade design's webpage for the different options :

For those who are weight weenies, here are the different systems:

Ultralight full length = 29 oz., R = 2.6
Ultralight 3/4 = 18 oz., R = 2.6
Ultralight 3/4 with 4 folds of z-rest for foot pad = 22 oz, R = 2.6
Z-rest = 15 oz, R = 2.2
Z-rest 3/4 = 11 oz, R = 2.2
Ridge Rest = 14 oz, R = 2.6
Ridge Rest 3/4 = 9 oz, R = 2.6
Ridge Rest Deluxe = 18 oz, R = 3.1

This is still an open issue for me, and I can't decide which pad I want. I have the ultralight full length, ultralight 3/4, ridge rest and z-rest. I am still trying to see if I like the ridgerest enough to use it full time. But talk about taking up some room!

If all you are worried about is size, the ultralight full length is the way to go. Much smaller when packed than the standard thermarest (folds in 1/2. When stowed it's about 12 inches long and 4 inches in diameter.)

Gravity Man

Alligator
01-15-2004, 18:06
I have lashed thermarests to the outside of my pack, in a stuff sack, and never had a problem with damage. But Mahoosuc Notch ate one during winter on me :( , so clip or lash very securely. The ultralight is only about half the size as the others, it's the only one that folds across the width.

Peaks
01-16-2004, 10:31
Looking for thoughts on z-rests. I have a thermarst, but it takes up a lot of room. I think z-rest are durab;e enough to be lashed to the outside of my pack. Anyone have thoughts.

Thanks

Z-rests are a closed cell pad. Cheaper, thinner and lighter than thermarests. They do work for some. Generally, the closed cell pads work for young bones. Old bones need more support. To find out if a closed cell pad will work for you, buy one, and then try sleeping for a few nights on a concrete floor. If you don't mind it, then it will work for you. If you want more support, then use a thermarest.

Either way, you see plenty of closed cell pads lashed to the outside of packs.

01-16-2004, 16:59
I have a 3/4 z-rest that I have not had any problems with. I do carry it inside my pack though. Also, I have only used it in warm weather, I do not think it would be great in the cool weather.

Footslogger
01-17-2004, 15:11
Started with a Z-rest and switched over to an ultralight 3/4 Therma-rest. Either the ground got harder or I lost too much weight (or both) but the Z-rest just didn't give me enough padding after a while. I did cut off 4 sections of the Z-rest though and kept it with me as a pad for sitting. Nice to have your butt off the wet ground now and then. I also used the small Z-rest section under my feet at night.

nchiker
01-17-2004, 21:27
i have a z rest, it is colder than an air pad for sure but i used a emr. blanket under it & was good shape. the only thing i didnt like was the packability so i go w/ a ridgerest now. i roll it up, put it in my pack then let it unroll&pack my gear inside.