PDA

View Full Version : bear bagging technique

Wags
03-05-2008, 12:50
can someone link me to directions on how to use the pct method? i'm usually pretty good on google, but for some reason i can't find a good step-by-step guide or video tutorial...
thanks friends

Wags
03-05-2008, 12:53
along this same line (critter preventative techniques) has anyone used a ziplock of their dog's hair in their tent to ward off unwanted visitors? what i mean is, when you brush your dog, to gather the brushed hair and throw it in a ziplock bag. then when you set up your tent, just put the bag in the corner and open it. i use this concept in my garden to keep away rabbits/squirrels and other pests (i forgoe the bag and just toss the hair in the garden). or would the dog scent attract bigger, more dangerous wildlife?

Old Grouse
03-05-2008, 12:54
I think this is the article you had in mind.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 12:59
This should work:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

Find some place to practice before you go out, you HAVE to know how to tie a middle-of-the-line clove hitch with arms outstretched standing on your toes. Making the two opposing loops of the clove hitch with one hand is the best technique I've found.

Wags
03-05-2008, 13:46
Throw the rock towards the branch. Line gets tangled around your ankle and rock makes it only six feet high before slamming back into the ground with a thud.
Retie your complex knot. Then, lash the rope around the slippery, spherical rock, and try your throw again. This time the rock sails successfully over the branch, but the end of the rope has slipped off and remains in a crumpled pile at your feet. Your rock ends up in the next county, never to be seen again.i love people w/ a sense of humor

dessertrat
03-05-2008, 13:58
I usually try to put the bear in the bag head first. Much easier that way.

whitefoot_hp
03-05-2008, 14:37
use your food as pillow. its part of double use philosophy, and it gives you a chance to speak for your food, should something want it, rather than hanging it in the air for all to see and smell and beyond your control as well.

Foyt20
03-05-2008, 17:43

This is the statement that i agree completely with!!! Kudos to you Dessertrat.

jlb2012
03-05-2008, 18:12
use your water bottle (soda bottle) as the throw weight - easy to adjust the weight and easy to tie the rope on to

Newb
03-06-2008, 12:41

damn. you beat me to it.

error
03-06-2008, 21:37
use your water bottle (soda bottle) as the throw weight - easy to adjust the weight and easy to tie the rope on to

Best tip I heard for that was to tie a rock up in your bandanna. Though perhaps it would be better to just stuff the bear into a bag...

ki0eh
03-07-2008, 10:21
I am coordinationally challenged by all this, which is why I carry a BearVault. Grams be damned! :)

jlb2012
03-07-2008, 10:33
my coordination problems are the reason I went to using the soda bottle - I can throw it much easier and more accurately than a rock by holding the neck of the bottle and throwing with a wrist snap

all that said however it should be noted I have switched to a Bearikade canister just to have stool to sit on in camp that as a secondary use also keeps my food safe

Critterman
03-07-2008, 22:31
my coordination problems are the reason I went to using the soda bottle - I can throw it much easier and more accurately than a rock by holding the neck of the bottle and throwing with a wrist snap

I tried this in my yard and it works great. Thanks.

Hikes in Rain
03-08-2008, 14:42
Throw the rock towards the branch. Line gets tangled around your ankle and rock makes it only six feet high before slamming back into the ground with a thud.
Retie your complex knot. Then, lash the rope around the slippery, spherical rock, and try your throw again. This time the rock sails successfully over the branch, but the end of the rope has slipped off and remains in a crumpled pile at your feet. Your rock ends up in the next county, never to be seen again.i love people w/ a sense of humor

3. Toss rock with either a slick underhand or annoyingly clumsy overhand. Scream like Homer Simpson and run when rock comes plummeting back down right back at you, without going over the branch. Trip, fall, get hit with rock. Bleed, thus attracting bears.