PDA

View Full Version : Spartan 300 workout

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 15:00
Any of you try this workout, whoowee! Ive recently changed my previous workout to this Spartan 300 workout and my god is it kicking my a**. It involves quite a little bit of leg work to which is always good for the hiker. Let me know if you've tried it and your opinions, otherwise give this one a try, i dare you! :banana

Freeleo
03-05-2008, 15:04
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-300-workout-can-you-handle-it

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 15:16
Considering the percentage of people in America that are obese, this article is true. Plus, no matter what you try and do, there will always be somebody somewhere convincing you otherwise. If its to much, then do half of what there asking and work your way up, simple solution, and it doesnt involve giving up on the workout completely. Also, the man who created the workout is a reknown mountain climber, which is why I was recommending it to hikers.

envirodiver
03-05-2008, 15:19
Do you have a link to the workout info?

tina.anderson
03-05-2008, 15:28
I have heard about people doing this and getting fantastic results, but it's not for me. I am quite happy with my current routine, which involves a decent amount of legwork and prepares me well for hiking, but the Spartan 300 seems a little too intense.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 15:43
25 pull-ups
50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
50 push-ups
50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds (a weight-lifting exercise)
25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 reps
This is the jist of what its compiled of, your supposed to complete it all with no rests, but its not required, you can cut the reps in half as well or do whatever you need to be comfortable doing it and then work your way up. But for the most part I realy like it.

Skidsteer
03-05-2008, 15:52
25 pull-ups
50 push-ups
50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 repsThis is the jist of what its compiled of, your supposed to complete it all with no rests, but its not required, you can cut the reps in half as well or do whatever you need to be comfortable doing it and then work your way up. But for the most part I realy like it.

This is not a good workout for most people to start off with. The deadlifts alone would cripple a high percentage of people that even tried it.

A person that can do even 20 % of that workout off the couch does not need to 'get in shape' for hiking.

mudhead
03-05-2008, 15:56
I need some ice cream after reading that list.

And cookies.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 16:02
I was asking if anyone has tried it, and of course this isnt for someone to just jump into. Is it far-fetched for me to think that people looking in this section of the forum already work out?

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 16:22
Jack LaLanne is 93 and I'll bet he could still do that 300. Skids is right (as usual) that all that isn't necessary for hiking or basic fitness. He's also right that you can cripple yourself doing deadlifts if you do them wrong, get a coach/trainer like the article said. Everyone is better off doing resistance training, just start easy/smart and don't overdo it. That 300 was the test, not the program. The article said they used kettlebells for training, that is something I'm looking into. This 300 thing is similar to Crossfit.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 16:30
Jack LaLanne is 93 and I'll bet he could still do that 300. Skids is right (as usual) that all that isn't necessary for hiking or basic fitness. He's also right that you can cripple yourself doing deadlifts if you do them wrong, get a coach/trainer like the article said. Everyone is better off doing resistance training, just start easy/smart and don't overdo it. That 300 was the test, not the program. The article said they used kettlebells for training, that is something I'm looking into. This 300 thing is similar to Crossfit.

I agree completely, I apologize for not elaborating a little further on what I meant. But I have been working out for awhile now and it seemed like a realy cool challenge and was wondering if anyone else had tried it because I know it was getting pretty popular. It is definetly a crazy workout, I had to cut the amount of reps in a couple sections in half and I may or may not have taken a breather for a minute.;)

BigCat
03-05-2008, 16:38
I've dabbled with this workout, the Randy Couture (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938) workout and cross-fit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqBNPNcR9c). They're all great but the '300' and Randy's are for a more advanced group. Cross fit however stresses more functional strength and is applicable to any skill level.

Good for you, keep it up.

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 16:42
I agree completely, I apologize for not elaborating a little further on what I meant. But I have been working out for awhile now and it seemed like a realy cool challenge and was wondering if anyone else had tried it because I know it was getting pretty popular. It is definetly a crazy workout, I had to cut the amount of reps in a couple sections in half and I may or may not have taken a breather for a minute.;)

Not slamming you in the least Neuro, thanks for posting it. I'm thinking I'll just try "100" and see how it goes.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 16:51
I never even heard of cross-fit, I just check out that video and it seems pretty awesome I'll definetly give it a go, maybe even mix some things from the 300 and cross-fit, sounds interesting. thanks.

ao2008
03-05-2008, 17:00
I have been doing CrossFit for about a year...it is a great all around fitness workout. As a beginner there is a lot of scaling back of the workouts, but its surprising how quick your strength will increase. There are a lot of local CrossFit gyms with certified trainers all over the US.

My favorite workout is called "Murph":
run 1 mile
100 pull-ups
200 push ups
300 squats
run 1 mile

do all that for time.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 17:08
[quote=ao2008;559506]I have been doing CrossFit for about a year...it is a great all around fitness workout. As a beginner there is a lot of scaling back of the workouts, but its surprising how quick your strength will increase. There are a lot of local CrossFit gyms with certified trainers all over the US.

My favorite workout is called "Murph":
run 1 mile
100 pull-ups
200 push ups
300 squats
run 1 mile

How long does it take you usually to do all of that?

ao2008
03-05-2008, 17:14
my best time is 58 minutes...and that was freakin hard

ao2008
03-05-2008, 17:18
you can check out CrossFit's main site for some other workouts, how to scale, and a lot of faq's...http://www.crossfit.com/

Allen66
03-05-2008, 17:32
I'm guessin I can do it in 5 min. That's when I drop dead of a heart attack, DONE!!!:D:D

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 08:02
you can check out CrossFit's main site for some other workouts, how to scale, and a lot of faq's...http://www.crossfit.com/

Thanks again to AO2008 and Neurosis for starting this thread. I checked out the Crossfit site and started attemping their workouts. They are trashing me. I lost a pound and a half this week. I'm tired of spending gas/time driving to the gym so I'm setting up a garage gym like Crossfit reccomends. I also read that the guy that trained those "300" actors started with Crossfit.

The gym I use has a Concept 2 rower like Crossfit reccomends, I did 20 min on it the other day and it trashed me. I gotta have one of those.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2008, 08:11
::: Dino runs screaming from thread and pops 'Sweating to the Oldies' into DVD player for comfort :D :::

JAK
03-14-2008, 08:49
::: Richard Simmons last seen getting booted down a Spartan well, followed by all hos DVDs and Video Tapes, VHS and Beta. FrolDino wept. :::

JAK
03-14-2008, 08:55
"He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision,—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath—'The horror! The horror!'"

Almost There
03-14-2008, 09:20
The only problem with that workout is if you're a bigger person, you can't manage to do the pullups. 135lb dead lift...no problem, You would be hard pressed to find an NFL linebacker that could do the workout, they're too heavy...pull-ups are for leaner built people. Someone heavy(fat or muscle) will have a problem doing it. It's just like movies pushing the idea that Marines are big muscled dudes...they actually want smaller, wiry, more agile types.

It's not a bad workout though, for the right body type.

Regardless, if you are gonna do cardio and weights on same day, do you your weights first, you'll get better benefits and put your body into fat burning mode before you even start your cardio.

Like Skids said though, if you can do that workout without stopping...you don't need to get ready for the trail...you are already ready!

RITBlake
03-14-2008, 09:28
The only problem with that workout is if you're a bigger person, you can't manage to do the pullups. 135lb dead lift...no problem,

Great SNL Line....

How Much Ya Benching?

Almost There
03-14-2008, 09:40
Great SNL Line....

How Much Ya Benching?

I know you're poking fun at me, but I'll answer anyways!:D

I bench right around 300lbs, maybe a little more, haven't maxed out in about year, no need to anymore

I do reps with 205 to 225, the NFL test of consecutive reps with 225 sees me doing about 15, not my best ever, did 24 one time in college while still playing ball...and I'm 30lbs heavier today.;) Fat and happy comes to mind, but I've started losing weight, I lift and do cardio six days a week(had to replace my smoking addiction with something!), just alternate upper body and lower body/core every day...20 minutes on a cybex machine(cross between an eliptical and a stepper)(Burns about 430 calories in twenty mins). I just increased the resistance on it and my glutes and hams are actually sore. I've lost 4lbs since Sunday.

To each his own, however, different body types should do different workouts, any good trainer will tell you that.

ao2008
03-14-2008, 09:41
regarding being able to do pull ups...you bet, it is difficult if you are heavier person, but CrossFit is meant to be scaled to your personal abilities...for example with "Murph", you could do a variety of pull-up motions, for example, jumping pull-ups, assisted (with a machine counter-weight, or the bands), or just do less than a 100. When I first started, I could do about 3 pull-ups in a row...and after a year, I still have to break 100 pull-ups up into sets, but the real elite CrossFit'ers can rattle off 100 kipping pull-ups in a row! Again, its all about scaling, I would never suggest to someone who was not in pretty great shape to try that workout at the beginning, but even at a heavier bodyweight, they are not impossible!

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 12:39
The only problem with that workout is if you're a bigger person, you can't manage to do the pullups. 135lb dead lift...no problem, You would be hard pressed to find an NFL linebacker that could do the workout, they're too heavy...pull-ups are for leaner built people. Someone heavy(fat or muscle) will have a problem doing it. It's just like movies pushing the idea that Marines are big muscled dudes...they actually want smaller, wiry, more agile types.

It's not a bad workout though, for the right body type.

Regardless, if you are gonna do cardio and weights on same day, do you your weights first, you'll get better benefits and put your body into fat burning mode before you even start your cardio.

Like Skids said though, if you can do that workout without stopping...you don't need to get ready for the trail...you are already ready!

Mark Twight 300 trainer) addresses this at the Gym Jones site. He says by combining a "little guy" move (pullups) with a "big guy" move (deadlifts) it promotes lean body mass without bulk and maximal muscle fiber recruitment. That is, you'll be very strong and powerful FOR YOUR SIZE. Those Crossfit type workouts apparantly produce a very lean body with the right diet, that part will get rid of the bulk. A proper "Neuro-endocrine" response Twight calls it. He also stated that a Crossfit type workout by itself isn't enough for an endurance athelete (like alpine climbers -his background). You still need to train long distance below your lactate threshold in addition. The combination of the two is what creates the highest degree of fitness.

Almost There
03-14-2008, 12:51
Mark Twight 300 trainer) addresses this at the Gym Jones site. He says by combining a "little guy" move (pullups) with a "big guy" move (deadlifts) it promotes lean body mass without bulk and maximal muscle fiber recruitment. That is, you'll be very strong and powerful FOR YOUR SIZE. Those Crossfit type workouts apparantly produce a very lean body with the right diet, that part will get rid of the bulk. A proper "Neuro-endocrine" response Twight calls it. He also stated that a Crossfit type workout by itself isn't enough for an endurance athelete (like alpine climbers -his background). You still need to train long distance below your lactate threshold in addition. The combination of the two is what creates the highest degree of fitness.

Also remember Twight is selling a product. I agree that it would promote lean body mass, but for my body type, lifting weights promotes bulk, hence I just changed up my workouts to make them more cardio than they had been.

Crossfit is the new catchphrase in training, and it's meant to incorporate cardio and weight training in the same workout at the same time. I agree that if you do it and stick with it you'll get results, but the best workout is still one tailored to your specific needs and body type.

climberdave
03-14-2008, 14:25
Twight is an endurance machine in the mountains and holds many records for his light and fast approach to the big nasty stuff few people attempt. He's like the ultra light hikers, but at altitude (48 hr climbs eating 2 snickers bars and carrying 10lb pack). I'm not surprised at the mere mortals complaining about his workout (probably toned down so as not to be held responsible for killing anyone) and would warn people about handling Zeus’s lightning, it can hurt you. :)

http://classic.mountainzone.com/climbing/99/interviews/twight/ (http://classic.mountainzone.com/climbing/99/interviews/twight/)

That is all….

Mags
03-14-2008, 14:41
Of course, CGI aided bodies helps a lot, too. Hell, CGI could make even me look in shape. :D

Anyone up for the real Spartan workout (http://ancient-military-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/agoge_spartan_military_training)? ;)

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 15:03
Of course, CGI aided bodies helps a lot, too. Hell, CGI could make even me look in shape. :D

Anyone up for the real Spartan workout (http://ancient-military-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/agoge_spartan_military_training)? ;)

What is CGI?

Mags
03-14-2008, 15:19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

climberdave
03-14-2008, 15:20
Computer-generated Imagery

RITBlake
03-14-2008, 15:22
300 "home" version w/ beginning, middle, and end pictures and video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TJRpbVmqg

climberdave
03-14-2008, 15:34
wadda 'bout the 12oz curl? The 300 IPA workout. :)

I'd rather chew off my own foot than do 300 pushups on a ball!! ugghhh

That is all...

RITBlake
03-14-2008, 15:44
I know you're poking fun at me, but I'll answer anyways!:D

I bench right around 300lbs, maybe a little more, haven't maxed out in about year, no need to anymore

I do reps with 205 to 225, the NFL test of consecutive reps with 225 sees me doing about 15, not my best ever, did 24 one time in college while still playing ball...a

Cool genuinely curious not poking fun!

225 5 x 10 here.

Skidsteer
03-14-2008, 17:35
Also remember Twight is selling a product. I agree that it would promote lean body mass, but for my body type, lifting weights promotes bulk, hence I just changed up my workouts to make them more cardio than they had been.

Crossfit is the new catchphrase in training, and it's meant to incorporate cardio and weight training in the same workout at the same time. I agree that if you do it and stick with it you'll get results, but the best workout is still one tailored to your specific needs and body type.

Back in the day we just called it circuit weight training. :D

Whatever the name, it still works. It makes up pretty much all of my weight training these days, with running on off days, except for about once a year I like to do a 'shock and awe' type mass building blitz just to feel young again.

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 18:07
Back in the day we just called it circuit weight training. :D

Whatever the name, it still works. It makes up pretty much all of my weight training these days, with running on off days, except for about once a year I like to do a 'shock and awe' type mass building blitz just to feel young again.

This is true, Jack Lallane was doing similar things sixty years ago, he was intuitively correct about a lot of exercise and nutrition and he was mocked and ridiculed at the time (in spite of his own excellent example).

There is however, a lot of new science behind a lot of what the Crossfit folks have to say like Tabata intervals:

http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.20047

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 18:09
::: Dino runs screaming from thread and pops 'Sweating to the Oldies' into DVD player for comfort :D :::

Just make sure you aren't running towards a nursing home. Loss of strength is what puts most folks there.

Almost There
03-14-2008, 21:21
Cool genuinely curious not poking fun!

225 5 x 10 here.

225 5x10=50 Times???? C'mon you lifting that on the moon?:D

c.coyle
03-15-2008, 07:06
[LIST]

Whatever works and keeps you motivated is fine. However, these two exercises require free weights (barbells), which many people will not have. Plus, both have to be done with correct form or you will hurt yourself. In my opinion, the only way to learn proper form for these movements is to have a qualified person actually show you. Pictures and videos are no substitute.

The deadlift done properly is a great exercise for the quads, hamstrings, lower back, upper back, traps, lats, even the forearms. The clean and press or its variants is often done by athletes to increase explosive upper body strength. I don't see much application to hiking.

Don't take any of this as critical. I'm just an old dinosaur lifter who has seen people get hurt doing these exercises, which are dangerous if not done with proper form.

take-a-knee
03-15-2008, 09:59
Whatever works and keeps you motivated is fine. However, these two exercises require free weights (barbells), which many people will not have. Plus, both have to be done with correct form or you will hurt yourself. In my opinion, the only way to learn proper form for these movements is to have a qualified person actually show you. Pictures and videos are no substitute.

The deadlift done properly is a great exercise for the quads, hamstrings, lower back, upper back, traps, lats, even the forearms. The clean and press or its variants is often done by athletes to increase explosive upper body strength. I don't see much application to hiking.

Don't take any of this as critical. I'm just an old dinosaur lifter who has seen people get hurt doing these exercises, which are dangerous if not done with proper form.

Good point, that is why Crossfit has a certification program for those who don't live near a Crossfit gym. Some of the olympic lifts may not be specific to hiking but they are specific to LIVING and being functional and injury free. Jack Lallane comes to mind.

RITBlake
03-15-2008, 11:41
225 5x10=50 Times???? C'mon you lifting that on the moon?:D

:) 5 sets of 10! Not too crazy.

Keep in mind when I met you AT I was a 170 lbs. I am now 215 and still pretty lean.

Almost There
03-15-2008, 21:51

Keep in mind when I met you AT I was a 170 lbs. I am now 215 and still pretty lean.

Well, I've never tried to do 5 sets of 10 for any weight....so the curious question is if you're putting up that much weight, what are you maxing?

Try to see how many you can put up in one set too...just curious as the average pro prospect at linebacker puts up in the mid twenties.

Looks like Blake has become a man!:D

Skidsteer
03-15-2008, 22:17

Well, I've never tried to do 5 sets of 10 for any weight....so the curious question is if you're putting up that much weight, what are you maxing?

Try to see how many you can put up in one set too...just curious as the average pro prospect at linebacker puts up in the mid twenties.

C'mon A.T. I can do that and I'm 45 years old.

Just give me an hour's rest between sets. ;)

I've seen you and I bet you can do it too with a couple weeks of specific training.

Almost There
03-15-2008, 22:46
C'mon A.T. I can do that and I'm 45 years old.

Just give me an hour's rest between sets. ;)

I've seen you and I bet you can do it too with a couple weeks of specific training.

I knew there was an easier way to do it Skids!:D I'm not making fun of Blake, I think it's great that he's built himself up from the skinny guy I saw back in 2005! I really am curious, about stuff like that, being a coach I handle strength and conditioning for football players and wrestlers at my high school.

I honestly don't really know what I can do these days, as my goal is to lose weight these days, I wanna lose at least twenty by June.

Hey Blake if you want I'll share some weight with you!;)

RITBlake
03-17-2008, 18:19

Don't know, I will max next time I am home. My dad is a long time H.S. football coach with emphasis on strength. Because of this we have a fully equipped bench setup at home, not one of those chincy basement benches. My 'little' brother is a product of that upbringing and was captain in football and rugby in his final seasons, and was named all state offensive linemen. He does his reps at 300+ lbs. He goes on to college next year.

I lift solo at NY and would prefer to do my max at home.

Also I don't know my NFL 225 combine score. It will be obviously be more then 10 but I know 20 will be a stretch. I'll let you know!

Post hike, I was back at school and playing rugby. Separated my shoulder completely (type III) That set me back from almost a year, but then I started lifting hard, eating somewhat healthier, and got back to playing rugby again where you have to be bigger as a survival tool.

ErickP
03-17-2008, 23:19
I've been doing crossfit for about 4 months, and I would recommend it to anyone. If you have a couple minutes these would definitely be worth reading:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

I just tried the 300 workout tonight. Total time was 27 minutes, 55 seconds. Full weights and reps for everything except the floor wipers which I scaled to 85 lbs.

take-a-knee
03-18-2008, 00:43
I've been doing crossfit for about 4 months, and I would recommend it to anyone. If you have a couple minutes these would definitely be worth reading:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

I just tried the 300 workout tonight. Total time was 27 minutes, 55 seconds. Full weights and reps for everything except the floor wipers which I scaled to 85 lbs.

Look at this young man's age folks, that is most impressive. I started trying Crossfit last week and it is kicking my butt.

ErickP
03-19-2008, 00:01
Look at this young man's age folks, that is most impressive. I started trying Crossfit last week and it is kicking my butt.
Thanks for the kind words. Coincidentally, I originally found Crossfit while doing research on the Special Forces. I'm planning to enlist with the 18X contract after high school.

take-a-knee
03-19-2008, 00:51
Thanks for the kind words. Coincidentally, I originally found Crossfit while doing research on the Special Forces. I'm planning to enlist with the 18X contract after high school.

Erick you are one of the few, I'm retired SF(Guard) myself, 18D. PM me and I may be able to offer you some advice.

ErickP
03-19-2008, 21:42
Erick you are one of the few, I'm retired SF(Guard) myself, 18D. PM me and I may be able to offer you some advice.
Yeah, I noticed that in your profile. PM sent

headonkey
03-19-2008, 22:13
This is an interested thread for me. 300 (the movie and the workout) are what originally led me to Crossfit 7 months ago. During that time, I've gotten far leaner, stronger, faster, and more athletic. Crossfit has not only changed the way I train myself, it has completely changed the way I train my clients. Isolation movements and machines are crap compared to these full body exercises that stress all three energy pathways. If you really consider your health and future well-being of any importance, I highly suggest that you give Crossfit a try. Coach Glassman really can teach you a few things.

astrogirl
03-20-2008, 00:06
There's always the RCAF plan. It starts out gentle, and looks deceptively easy. The Hacker Diet has reps and more information (here (http://tinyurl.com/2mnru7)).

take-a-knee
03-20-2008, 00:31
This is an interested thread for me. 300 (the movie and the workout) are what originally led me to Crossfit 7 months ago. During that time, I've gotten far leaner, stronger, faster, and more athletic. Crossfit has not only changed the way I train myself, it has completely changed the way I train my clients. Isolation movements and machines are crap compared to these full body exercises that stress all three energy pathways. If you really consider your health and future well-being of any importance, I highly suggest that you give Crossfit a try. Coach Glassman really can teach you a few things.

Glassman is a sadist but he'll get you in shape, that guy is a genius. What he does is basically "scientific commando training", military-style high rep training with solid science behind it, unlike the military's usual stupidity. I'm hanging a rope from the gable end of my house and I'm looking for a concept 2 rower. I guess you could say I'm a convert. I hope I can move tomorrow after "Fight gone bad".

Marta
03-20-2008, 07:30
I have been greatly enjoying this thread...although I have to say that, fortunately for me, the ability to do even one pull-up is not required for hikers. I couldn't do a pull-up to save my life, but I can hike like the dickens.

Cheers to all you manly men! Train away! A strong body is a marvellous thing!

headonkey
03-20-2008, 07:37
I'm doing FGB today too. Hope I can move tomorrow.

markc7
03-23-2008, 09:24
Just wanted to point out that the 300 workout was never intended to be an actual workout. It's more like a fitness test to be completed after months of crossfit type training. Only the stunt doubles and one of the actors (the guy who plays the leader of the Free Greeks) attempted the test, and they did it only once. It's probably not a great idea to try something like this very often.

Almost There
03-23-2008, 09:47
Don't know, I will max next time I am home. My dad is a long time H.S. football coach with emphasis on strength. Because of this we have a fully equipped bench setup at home, not one of those chincy basement benches. My 'little' brother is a product of that upbringing and was captain in football and rugby in his final seasons, and was named all state offensive linemen. He does his reps at 300+ lbs. He goes on to college next year.

I lift solo at NY and would prefer to do my max at home.

Also I don't know my NFL 225 combine score. It will be obviously be more then 10 but I know 20 will be a stretch. I'll let you know!

Post hike, I was back at school and playing rugby. Separated my shoulder completely (type III) That set me back from almost a year, but then I started lifting hard, eating somewhat healthier, and got back to playing rugby again where you have to be bigger as a survival tool.

I just caught up on this thread. Very cool man, you're a tall guy, now you're a big, tall guy!!! As for Rugby, I hear ya. As for the maxing....I don't blame you....that's why I don't max where I work out.

BigCat
03-23-2008, 10:45
As for the maxing....I don't blame you....that's why I don't max where I work out.

A really good way to estimate your max bench is the 4/3 rule. Multiply whatever your 10 rep max is time 4/3 and and it will give a very good approximation of your 1 rep max. I have found it to be very accurate during the different stages of my 20+ years of weight lifting.

Example: 135x10 = 180x1, 225x10 = 300x1, 315x10 = 420x1

RITBlake
03-25-2008, 09:42
A really good way to estimate your max bench is the 4/3 rule. Multiply whatever your 10 rep max is time 4/3 and and it will give a very good approximation of your 1 rep max. I have found it to be very accurate during the different stages of my 20+ years of weight lifting.

Example: 135x10 = 180x1, 225x10 = 300x1, 315x10 = 420x1

hmm interesting. What's the logic behind it, just a general rule of thumb?