PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter Safety Question

wpbucher
03-05-2008, 16:58
I found two PUR (Voyageur?)water filters in the Scout closet. They are just like my Katadyn Hiker Pro. I'm sure these filters have not been used in the past 18 months.
I took them apart and there was water in them. I pumped some water through them and some greenish-yellowish liquid came out of them. After about 10 pumps the water ran clear.
I ran a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach through the filters.
I then thoroughly cleaned all parts.
One of the filters is off-white and the other is cream colored.
QUESTION: Is it OK to use these filters? I'm thinking that 18+ months of stagnant water has caused them to become a host to microorganisms and/or mold and/or bacteria. Or was the bleach sufficient to clean? Or is there anything else I need to do?

Any info is appreciated.

swellbill
03-05-2008, 17:18
better run some dehydrated water (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33696) through them before use :D

Tinker
03-05-2008, 18:25
Without testing equipment it would be impossible to judge the safety of using the old filters. I'd soak the housing and hoses in a strong bleach water and buy new filter elements.
Another option would be to try them while you are at home. You'll be near a doctor if you happen to be unlucky. ;)

Feral Bill
03-05-2008, 21:19
Once you're confident they are OK, pump some water through them and have your local health department test it. Then you'll know.

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:13
they all provide illusion of safety.